BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Captain45
Private First Class
Captain45's Avatar
1
Rep
105
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 - SG
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Need advice on 08 purchase

Guys,

I found a SG 2008 M3 E92 DCT fully loaded with black interior and CF roof in my area for $42k w/ 5800 miles on it! The seller is the owners brother. The original owner passed away a week ago. He was an older man, apparently a local physician.

Here's the kicker, It was involved in a small fendor bender with a Police Car and a small run in with a shopping cart. Appently both were under 5mph collisions. Both issues were repaired by the dealer. I am waiting on the dealer reports of what was replaced/repaired.

Obviously I'll ask for a PPI. But would you guys walk away from this due to resale concerns or what?


Thoughts?


Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
dnvrdrvr's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
798
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Carbon X5M
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain45 View Post
Guys,

I found a SG 2008 M3 E92 DCT fully loaded with black interior and CF roof in my area for $42k w/ 5800 miles on it! The seller is the owners brother. The original owner passed away a week ago. He was an older man, apparently a local physician.

Here's the kicker, It was involved in a small fendor bender with a Police Car and a small run in with a shopping cart. Appently both were under 5mph collisions. Both issues were repaired by the dealer. I am waiting on the dealer reports of what was replaced/repaired.

Obviously I'll ask for a PPI. But would you guys walk away from this due to resale concerns or what?


Thoughts?


Thanks
SG is a great color and you'll be hard-pressed to find another 08 with this low of mileage. Does it have all the options you want? I would ask to make sure the guy didn't die IN the car. Is there any factory warranty remaining? That would be the only other thing that would make me think twice.
__________________
Just a girl and her 550 ponies...
www.mw3motorsports.com
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
Captain45
Private First Class
Captain45's Avatar
1
Rep
105
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 - SG
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

I'm waiting to hear on the warranty. The seller is pulling that info right now. I hope it has a bit left so I can extend it. The only option it doesn't have is the fox red interior but I think I can deal with black.

The seller stated he was in the hospital for the last year so I think I'm safe on that part
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
7
Rep
565
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Texas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Make sure he has a right to sell the car. Unless it was willed to him or he's gone through probate court he doesn't have the right to sell it. This could get messy quick. Verify he has a signed title in hand. It takes a lot longer than a week for the court system to divide up a dead mans possessions, so be careful.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
sello
Private First Class
1
Rep
169
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

personally with the mileage and that price. go for it even if it has been hit its still a good deal..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
tamana
Private
0
Rep
51
Posts

 
Drives: nids
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: veren

iTrader: (0)

Make sure he has a right to sell the car. Unless it was willed to him or he's gone through probate court he doesn't have the right to sell it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Captain45
Private First Class
Captain45's Avatar
1
Rep
105
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 - SG
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamana View Post
Make sure he has a right to sell the car. Unless it was willed to him or he's gone through probate court he doesn't have the right to sell it.
He mentioned the owner had this as a leasebutwas intending on buying it. The lease is up in 1 week, he said hes taking xfer of the lease with a buyout. Does that make any sense? It sounds as if he wanta to make a quick little profit
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Gfunk720
Private First Class
Gfunk720's Avatar
1
Rep
179
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3- AW
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fairfield, CT

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain45 View Post
He mentioned the owner had this as a leasebutwas intending on buying it. The lease is up in 1 week, he said hes taking xfer of the lease with a buyout. Does that make any sense? It sounds as if he wanta to make a quick little profit
If he hasn't yet purchased the car, it could be weeks if not more till he has a title. I played that game with an old car of mine. Took them 4+ weeks to process the buyout and mail the title.

The price almost sounds too good to be true. I'd have it looked over by a professional at the very least. When the price sometimes looks too good to be true, there is a good reason.
__________________
Alpine White E92 M3 - 6MT
ESS Tuned
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Dgarcia41982
Private First Class
Dgarcia41982's Avatar
9
Rep
184
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 m3 sedan
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New jersey

iTrader: (0)

Dude 5800 miles! Go for it, it's brand new.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
cjrivera
Private
0
Rep
60
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e93 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
I would ask to make sure the guy didn't die IN the car.
Even if he did, that's still a great price and I'd go for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
chief
Second Lieutenant
chief's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
256
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red M3 Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Riverside, California

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [4.67]
Sounds like a good deal (assuming all checks out ok with the dealer)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfunk720 View Post
If he hasn't yet purchased the car, it could be weeks if not more till he has a title. I played that game with an old car of mine. Took them 4+ weeks to process the buyout and mail the title.

The price almost sounds too good to be true. I'd have it looked over by a professional at the very least. When the price sometimes looks too good to be true, there is a good reason.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
hieu1004
Second Lieutenant
hieu1004's Avatar
3
Rep
223
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray e92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bothell, WA

iTrader: (0)

I am hesitant and cautious with all cars that have been accidents - personally, I just avoid them. However, like others have mentioned, get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) to ensure it is in good working condition. There are good cars out there, you just have to find them. If you're concerned about resale, just know something that's been in an accident will have worse resale, but then again, this is a good price you are getting. Good luck with your car hunt!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
dom_cmh
First Lieutenant
dom_cmh's Avatar
6
Rep
303
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio

iTrader: (1)

Absolutely go for it if the paint repairs look good. People tend to freak out if their car has had any paint work. Obviously if you don't know how bad the collision was then it makes sense to possibly stay away from a car that has been painted. In this case if it was repaired nicely then who the heck cares. It's not like it's going to impact your resell in 3 or 4 years when the car is worth 20k and has a bunch more miles and wear on it all around.

+1 for SG BTW!!! Only available in 08....so nice and rare in the M3 lineup
__________________
2008 E90 M3| Sparkling Graphite | Fox Red | 6MT | PDC | Premium Package | Tech Package | Sat Radio |
Moonroof | 19" wheels | Tint | Illuminated ZHP Knob | Increased Clutch Stop | Black Chrome "Edition" Grills
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
Captain45
Private First Class
Captain45's Avatar
1
Rep
105
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 - SG
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

So i checked it out today. I cannot see any visible imperfections in the paint. Only blemishes are a few minor curb rash to the wheels andsome scrapes underthe front bumper from pulling up to a parking spot
It does come with a full set of winter tires and wheels.

It drove like a dream but i have one question. When in mdct it seema to have a noticable whine in lower gears. Actually not a whine so much as a turbine sound. Isthis normal. I dont have a lot if time bhin m3s to compare.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

I get suspicious about cars that are almost 5 yrs old w so little miles..just make sure everything is on the up and up
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
Captain45
Private First Class
Captain45's Avatar
1
Rep
105
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 - SG
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Any advice on the whine/turbine sound I hear quite clearly when driving slow? From what I've googled it seems normal but man did I surely notice it right away. Issues or normal?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
sg///M3
Lieutenant
sg///M3's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
438
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain45 View Post
It drove like a dream but i have one question. When in mdct it seema to have a noticable whine in lower gears. Actually not a whine so much as a turbine sound. Isthis normal. I dont have a lot if time bhin m3s to compare.
Check the power steering fluid.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
Captain45
Private First Class
Captain45's Avatar
1
Rep
105
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 - SG
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg///M3 View Post
Check the power steering fluid.
Its going into BMW for PPI tomorrow morning. I will have them check this out.

If all checks out with the PPI this should be a done deal. Im pretty stoked.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,577
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain45 View Post
Any advice on the whine/turbine sound I hear quite clearly when driving slow? From what I've googled it seems normal but man did I surely notice it right away. Issues or normal?
Mine sounds like this too, and always has since I picked it up brand new at BMW Welt. I think it is normal. The sound certainly does not sound like something mechanically wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #21
Captain45
Private First Class
Captain45's Avatar
1
Rep
105
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 - SG
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Mine sounds like this too, and always has since I picked it up brand new at BMW Welt. I think it is normal. The sound certainly does not sound like something mechanically wrong.
Good to hear, I have to admit, it sounds cool too. Almost like its supercharged.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #22
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
232
Posts

 
Drives: '09 335d RIP '08 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (2)

I have also heard the turbine like noise. I was thinking it was the air going through the individual throttle bodies, opposed to one large throttle body. My Dad even said, that thing sounds like its got a jet engine in it when I pulled it up the first time.

Either way a PPI would show any problems. If you can post what the noise is I'd be interested in finding out.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST