BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
SCL_///M3
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

RPM drops on idle

Hi All,

This thing has been bugging me for quite some times now, that whenever I bring the car to a full stop and leave my foot on the brake, the RPM stays at around 750-800rpm for a second then starts to drop and settles at 500-550rpm, at which point I can feel a slight vibration through the steering wheel. If I lift my foot from the brake the PRM climbs back to 750-800rpm (will drop back to 500-550 when the brake is re-applied). The only time this does not happen is when I have the AC on.
I have brought the car to my dealership and the tech told me that they couldn't find anything wrong with it, as the car does not throw any error code nor did they find any error code when they scanned the ECU.
I believe the normal idle speed for e92 M3s should be around 750 rpm, right?
Has anyone else experienced the same symptom? Any solutions?
Btw, mine is a 2010 DCT. I have done the DCT software update back in 2011 (there was a recall on the software).
Also, do you guys usually leave your foot on the brake at stoplights?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
CrusherM3
Private First Class
CrusherM3's Avatar
2
Rep
154
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 Jet Black
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCL_///M3 View Post
Hi All,

This thing has been bugging me for quite some times now, that whenever I bring the car to a full stop and leave my foot on the brake, the RPM stays at around 750-800rpm for a second then starts to drop and settles at 500-550rpm, at which point I can feel a slight vibration through the steering wheel. If I lift my foot from the brake the PRM climbs back to 750-800rpm (will drop back to 500-550 when the brake is re-applied). The only time this does not happen is when I have the AC on.
I have brought the car to my dealership and the tech told me that they couldn't find anything wrong with it, as the car does not throw any error code nor did they find any error code when they scanned the ECU.
I believe the normal idle speed for e92 M3s should be around 750 rpm, right?
Has anyone else experienced the same symptom? Any solutions?
Btw, mine is a 2010 DCT. I have done the DCT software update back in 2011 (there was a recall on the software).
Also, do you guys usually leave your foot on the brake at stoplights?

Thanks.
Usually always have foot on the at brake stoplights...Hold over habit from driving regular automatics in the past.

No problems with idle...but mine is barely just a little over a month old. GL with a fix.

BTW...I have DCT also.

Last edited by CrusherM3; 04-23-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: I have DCT also
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
VCP
Captain
VCP's Avatar
Canada
16
Rep
678
Posts

 
Drives: F82 Sakhir / E92 Dakar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Get them to check the vacuum brake booster might be leaking when you have your foot on the brake and causing a big vacuum leak that's dropping your idle. Try idling and pumping your brakes and see if the idle is any worst.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
SCL_///M3
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMperformance View Post
Get them to check the vacuum brake booster might be leaking when you have your foot on the brake and causing a big vacuum leak that's dropping your idle. Try idling and pumping your brakes and see if the idle is any worst.
Thanks for the advice. But if there is a vacuum leak shouldn't it throw some kind of error code?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
racedoc11
Major
racedoc11's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Audi RS5 & 08 M3 E93 SOLD
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 Audi RS5  [5.00]
2008 E93 M3  [5.00]
I have the same exact problem. I took it to 2 dealers and both claim the car is fine (no codes)!!! One dealer reprogrammed the car but it didn't fix the problem...
there is a thread on this but with no answer:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395846

one guy claimed his car has done the same but it returned to normal after that!!!! In my case it is still doing it regardless the fuel I'm using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCL_///M3 View Post
Hi All,

This thing has been bugging me for quite some times now, that whenever I bring the car to a full stop and leave my foot on the brake, the RPM stays at around 750-800rpm for a second then starts to drop and settles at 500-550rpm, at which point I can feel a slight vibration through the steering wheel. If I lift my foot from the brake the PRM climbs back to 750-800rpm (will drop back to 500-550 when the brake is re-applied). The only time this does not happen is when I have the AC on.
I have brought the car to my dealership and the tech told me that they couldn't find anything wrong with it, as the car does not throw any error code nor did they find any error code when they scanned the ECU.
I believe the normal idle speed for e92 M3s should be around 750 rpm, right?
Has anyone else experienced the same symptom? Any solutions?
Btw, mine is a 2010 DCT. I have done the DCT software update back in 2011 (there was a recall on the software).
Also, do you guys usually leave your foot on the brake at stoplights?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E93 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Any Resolution/Update?

Did any of you guys ever come up with a resolution to this problem? I'm asking because I have a 2013 E93 M3 with around 400 miles and I am having this problem. I am idling right around 500-550 and the car is shaking. Not sure if it makes a difference but my car is a DCT and is stock.

Thanks for everyone's help,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,814
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
It definitely should not do that. Jeremy, I'm happy to check the car out if you bring it by.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E93 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
It definitely should not do that. Jeremy, I'm happy to check the car out if you bring it by.

Thanks Mike - I appreciate it. I might take you up on that. Trying to get through another 350 miles or so until my 1,200 mile service before I deal with it, unless it stalls (which it hasn't yet!).

BTW, off topic, I heard an OEM Exhaust Mod (non-perforated) today and I decided I'm going with it - after my 1,200 mile service. Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
elm3
M3 Lover
elm3's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,864
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 Interlagos Blue
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canton, GA.

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMperformance View Post
Get them to check the vacuum brake booster might be leaking when you have your foot on the brake and causing a big vacuum leak that's dropping your idle. Try idling and pumping your brakes and see if the idle is any worst.
+1, main culprit is the brake booster. They can do a vacuum test and see if the booster is holding vacuum.
__________________
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue, 6MT, Silver Novillo Leather, CF Trim, Premium Package, Technology Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, 19" Wheels, Moonroof-Toy/ '14 335i, Sport Line, Premium Package, Technology Package, 19" wheels, Heated Seats - Daily Driver/ '04 Yamaha R1 - Toy/ '06 Yamaha Raptor 350-Toy
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
ecalcagnino
Not a new member
United_States
2
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: 2003 E39 M5 -> 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago Area

iTrader: (0)

Mine does this also. I went to the dealer for something else a couple weeks ago and they said it was normal as well. Not so sure about that.

Mine has an added weirdness - if the AC or heat is on, it will not drop RPMs. Anyone else confirm?

2011 DCT

E
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E93 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecalcagnino View Post
Mine does this also. I went to the dealer for something else a couple weeks ago and they said it was normal as well. Not so sure about that.

Mine has an added weirdness - if the AC or heat is on, it will not drop RPMs. Anyone else confirm?

2011 DCT

E

Precisely the exact symptoms as my 2013 E93 M3 with DCT. I have read a number of threads on this and our symptoms are all identical. With AC on my idle is about 750 - nice and smooth.

I have not tried to check my break pedal (per the suggestion in the previous replies) but I will give that a shot in the next couple of days. For now, as long as the car doesn't start stalling I will probably wait another 1-2 months until my 1,200 mile break-in to see what my dealer says...

There is NO way this is normal. I was just in a 2011.5 E93 M3 with DCT yesterday that was idling at around 600-700 - very smooth. There is just no way our $80k cars were designed to shake at idle - my mirror shakes!

Let's keep each other updated, as I'm sure someone will figure this out. Thanks for everyone's help!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E93 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
+1, main culprit is the brake booster. They can do a vacuum test and see if the booster is holding vacuum.

Thanks very much - I will give this a shot. Hopefully it will be that simple!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
ecalcagnino
Not a new member
United_States
2
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: 2003 E39 M5 -> 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago Area

iTrader: (0)

Please post back here with results. Subscribed. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E93 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quick Update

I tested the vacuum booster theory today and here's the consistent behavior of my car (I have a 2013 E93 M3 w/DCT):

Idle in 1st (stopped) with foot on brake - 500-550 RPMs + some shaking
Idle in 1st (stopped) with foot on brake w/AC on - 700-750 RPMs + perfectly smooth

Take foot off of brake while idle in 1st - Within 1 second RPMs jump back up to 700-750 + perfectly smooth - Where it probably should be the whole time! If I put my foot back on the break then the RPMs will gradually drop (in 2-3 subtle stages) to 500-550 RPMs within 3-5 seconds.

So there is a clear correlation for me - No A/C in idle in 1st (stopped) - Foot on break brings the RPMs down to 500-550 with shaking. Foot off brake brings idle back up to 700-750 + perfectly smooth.

Does this sound like the vacuum booster that was mentioned earlier? If yes then perhaps that's the problem everyone in this thread is experiencing?

Note: Unfortunately I did not test the car in neutral. But presumably the DCT is in neutral (ie. clutch NOT engaged) if it says 1 but is stopped and my foot is not on the brake! So I'm guessing being in N will yield the same results.

Thanks for everyone's help,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
amyoescobar
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

 
Drives: audi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: you

iTrader: (0)

Try idling and pumping your brakes and see if the idle is any worst.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E93 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyoescobar View Post
Try idling and pumping your brakes and see if the idle is any worst.

I did try that a couple of times but it didn't do much. But only pumped the brakes a few times. What do you think based on my symptoms above? Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
elm3
M3 Lover
elm3's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,864
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 Interlagos Blue
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canton, GA.

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I still think that it is your brake booster. Still under warranty, take it and let them do some tests to your car, since the problem can obviously be re-created. Once they figure out what it is, they'll replace whatever it is that is faulty. Hope that you'll get it fixed soon.
__________________
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue, 6MT, Silver Novillo Leather, CF Trim, Premium Package, Technology Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, 19" Wheels, Moonroof-Toy/ '14 335i, Sport Line, Premium Package, Technology Package, 19" wheels, Heated Seats - Daily Driver/ '04 Yamaha R1 - Toy/ '06 Yamaha Raptor 350-Toy
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E93 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
I still think that it is your brake booster. Still under warranty, take it and let them do some tests to your car, since the problem can obviously be re-created. Once they figure out what it is, they'll replace whatever it is that is faulty. Hope that you'll get it fixed soon.

Ok - thanks. My concern is that a couple others on the Board have had this problem for months and they haven't been able to find the problem. Thanks again for your help.

I will post an update for everyone after I take my car in. Unfortunately I don't anticipate bringing it in for a little while (I am still 350 miles away from my 1,200 mile service, which will probably take me 1-2 months to drive). If anyone else figures it out please post an update - thanks very much.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #19
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

I think it's related to the brake booster also. The AC is bumping the idle a bit (due to the extra load with the compressor on) and that is probably enough to mask the problem.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #20
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E93 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quick update for anyone following this thread. I did a little more testing and here's what I found: With the car stopped in P or 1 - If I have my foot on my brake firmly planted down then my RPMs dip to the 500-550 range + shaking. BUT - If I have my foot more softly planted on my brake (not off the brake but not all the way down and with less force so it's floating above the fully down mark) then I can get the RPMs to be more in the 600-700 range.

In other words, there seems to be a direct correlation between my brakes and my RPMs (ie. brakes fully engaged and firmly planted = 500-550 range, no brakes = normal 700-750 RPMs, partial brakes or partial brake force = 600-700 RPMs). So there seems to be a clear relationship with my brakes, which means the brake vacuum booster is highly likely the cause as a couple people have suggested.

Sorry if this seems obvious but I thought it might help the others who are trying to figure out the cause for themselves. If you are trying to figure out this problem on your car then I would suggest trying various brake pressures at full stop to see if you end up with the same results as me. If that's the case then it's likely your brake vacuum booster...

As I have mentioned before, I'm not taking my car in until my 1,200 mile service, which is now 320 miles away and counting. I will probably take mine in around mid-late Nov at my current pace...

Hope that helps,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
racedoc11
Major
racedoc11's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Audi RS5 & 08 M3 E93 SOLD
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 Audi RS5  [5.00]
2008 E93 M3  [5.00]
Same here! I even learned to ease on the brake when it happens....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyr4 View Post
Quick update for anyone following this thread. I did a little more testing and here's what I found: With the car stopped in P or 1 - If I have my foot on my brake firmly planted down then my RPMs dip to the 500-550 range + shaking. BUT - If I have my foot more softly planted on my brake (not off the brake but not all the way down and with less force so it's floating above the fully down mark) then I can get the RPMs to be more in the 600-700 range.

In other words, there seems to be a direct correlation between my brakes and my RPMs (ie. brakes fully engaged and firmly planted = 500-550 range, no brakes = normal 700-750 RPMs, partial brakes or partial brake force = 600-700 RPMs). So there seems to be a clear relationship with my brakes, which means the brake vacuum booster is highly likely the cause as a couple people have suggested.

Sorry if this seems obvious but I thought it might help the others who are trying to figure out the cause for themselves. If you are trying to figure out this problem on your car then I would suggest trying various brake pressures at full stop to see if you end up with the same results as me. If that's the case then it's likely your brake vacuum booster...

As I have mentioned before, I'm not taking my car in until my 1,200 mile service, which is now 320 miles away and counting. I will probably take mine in around mid-late Nov at my current pace...

Hope that helps,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #22
CanAutM3
Brigadier General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
73
Rep
4,377
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [4.75]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyr4 View Post
Quick update for anyone following this thread. I did a little more testing and here's what I found: With the car stopped in P or 1 - If I have my foot on my brake firmly planted down then my RPMs dip to the 500-550 range + shaking. BUT - If I have my foot more softly planted on my brake (not off the brake but not all the way down and with less force so it's floating above the fully down mark) then I can get the RPMs to be more in the 600-700 range.

In other words, there seems to be a direct correlation between my brakes and my RPMs (ie. brakes fully engaged and firmly planted = 500-550 range, no brakes = normal 700-750 RPMs, partial brakes or partial brake force = 600-700 RPMs). So there seems to be a clear relationship with my brakes, which means the brake vacuum booster is highly likely the cause as a couple people have suggested.

Sorry if this seems obvious but I thought it might help the others who are trying to figure out the cause for themselves. If you are trying to figure out this problem on your car then I would suggest trying various brake pressures at full stop to see if you end up with the same results as me. If that's the case then it's likely your brake vacuum booster...

As I have mentioned before, I'm not taking my car in until my 1,200 mile service, which is now 320 miles away and counting. I will probably take mine in around mid-late Nov at my current pace...

Hope that helps,
Jeremy
I have started to see the exact same symptoms on my car. It also coincides with the car going in limp mode once in a while. I don't know if it is related though. The car is now out of warranty, I hope it won't cost a fortune to fix...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST