BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Lux Angel Eyes

01-17-2016, 01:42 AM   #1
jeffkukuruda
Rep
Drives: M5, X5D

Help! Constant vibration developed today

Background...
I just bought this car a few weeks ago, 69,500 miles, 2009 M3, DCT, rod bearings replaced as preventive MX by previous owner as he planned to supercharge (wpc coated factory bearings and ARP bolts) but sold it before SC plan came to fruition.

I've put about 300 miles on the car since purchase and it ran perfectly, until today... I went to breakfast and on my drive home I exited a highway and suddenly noticed a high frequency vibration in the pedals and steering wheel. My initial fear was the bearings or a flat tire. I stopped the vehicle and the vibration remained. Stopped and started the engine, listened for ticking, looked all around and do not see anything out of the ordinary. I finished driving to work and back home tonight and no change. Still a very noticeable vibration.

My thought now is possibly a failed motor mount but I can't tell from the car just idling and looking under the hood. Is this a good possibility? How can I inspect without taking them apart? I don't know where to start and search function hasn't revealed anyone having these exact symptoms.

I'm all ears to your advice and thoughts!

Thank you in advance,
Jeff

Last edited by jeffkukuruda; 01-17-2016 at 01:56 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 06:01 AM   #2
vsix
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Jeff,
rule # 1 : Keep cool!
When your drivers footwell area ( pedals etc ) started to vibrate, it could indicate, what you correctly stated, something that was developed for ballance on your car could've gone down south.
But that could be all kind of stuff, you know?
Get your motor,- and transmission mounts checked by an mech and also take a look if your wheels are correctly torqued down, just make sure they didn't became loose.
Then use your common sense inspect your A-Arms, wishbone if theres something loose or out of place look at the joints, maybe even go crazy with doing pictures and just post them on here, if you are not that mechanically inclined.
Explain us/ me here at what speed, in which gear and RPM's your mechanical issue occured, please.
Rod bearings can only be ruled out by one of our reputable members on here, his name is ///M-powerbelgium aka ///M-whisperer.
He is known by just listening to an running engine to rule out premature rod bearing failure.

As for now get what I suggested checked/ done.
Search contact with ///M-whisperer and afterwards get back at us once you have more detailed information!

Stay cool, brother everything will be good!
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

First things I would check are motor or trans mounts or loose suspension part. If your bearings or rods were coming apart, you would not have made it home.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80, 12 F25, 06 E90 330i

Motor mount is certainly a possibility..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #5
jeffkukuruda
Rep

I'm ruling out suspension and loose wheels because 1) I checked the wheel tq just to be sure but most importantly- 2) the vibration is there when not moving- static in neutral or park or d or 1. Thanks for the replies folks!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #6
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Chances are it's motor mount.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
Groundpilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
Like others said, sounds like engine mount is broken.

David
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #8
Julianoe92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Send a message via Yahoo to Julianoe92
I have similar problem!
And my motor mounts and trans mount was broken!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianoe92 View Post
I have similar problem!
And my motor mounts and trans mount was broken!!
Yep, both are causing vibrations .
Probably it's the same thing for OP .

01-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #10
jeffkukuruda
Rep

Thanks much everyone for the input, next question, I purchased an aftermarket warrantee from assurant solutions, which is supposed to match factory original coverage, is this a wear item that I'll be paying for all this or should it be covered, I'm mechanically inclined but if the warrantee would cover it why pay out of pocket and do all the work? Has anyone had this issue covered under warrantee?
Appreciate 1
vsix264

01-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #11
BzsBimmer
2-4-6-8 My car and house depreciate
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to BzsBimmer
Jeff,
Can't answer the warranty thing, probably won't be covered however, here's a funny one for you...
I had a vibration issue as well. Annoying as heck since I know my car was NOT doing it earlier. I had recently worked on my car and I guess a small socket adapter fell into the support plate under the engine.

My car started showing symptoms all of a sudden. Idle was fine, driving was fine, and then out of nowhere, I had a nasty vibration through the entire car.

A day after I drove the car and it wasn't there. I of course started thinking the worse but logic got me back to reality. I went for a spirited drive to shake it off and bam, it started right after a hard acceleration. Now I'm thinking driveshaft, DCT, etc. and then I thought engine mounts.

I went and removed my wheels to check the mounts and they were fine. I removed my support plate just in case and out comes rolling a small socket adapter!

I've since buttoned her up and taken a couple of spirited drives with no vibration.
Moral of the story... you could have something that fell down there but engine mounts could very well be the culprit if your engine is sitting lower than designed and touching something it shouldn't.

You can check the motor mounts by removing each wheel and looking in the opening behind each caliper.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #12
jeffkukuruda
Rep

Thanks for the vignet! I didn't do any work to it so unless something fell off in the engine bay, that prob won't be my answer. I'll pull the wheels and have a look soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #13
Bhdien
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Sedan

I have the same warranty and they don't cover mounts. They said that is a normal wear and tear item. But they did cover rod bearings replacement and alternator for me! For me, I had the same vibration problems. How I checked to see if it were my mounts was I looked at the oil pan. It literally rested on the under belly pan. Paper thin fitment. I replaced the mounts and the spacing between the oil pan and belly pan is now an inch or more. So you might check that.
Appreciate 0