BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
FairladyZ
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

How to tell between replica 220M and the real McCoy?

Hi guys, besides taking off the wheel and put it on a scale, what are the ways of telling a cheap, heavy replica 220M from a the stock real 220M?
FairladyZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Dellort_M3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 431
iTrader: (1)

Trust me, youll know.
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red 6MT E92 M3 | Active Stage 2 w/Meth | KW Clubsport | OSS | Challenge Front Lip | Vorsteiner Type 2 Rear Diffuser and Bootlid | Brembo | Recaro | Akrapovic Slip-On | Challenge Race+ X-Pipe | Vossen CV3 | OEM 359M | TE37SL
Dellort_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
ailikesiliu
Captain
 
ailikesiliu's Avatar
 
Drives: Asian Cutties
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 740
iTrader: (8)

dude, r u going to buy a set?
ailikesiliu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
FairladyZ
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

No, a friend of mine is looking at a set being sold in town, but isn't sure if they are indeed as authentic as advertised.
FairladyZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,479
iTrader: (2)

On the back of each wheel near the mounting pad/face there should be the BMW logo and/or "BMW" as well as the wheel width and offset.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
ailikesiliu
Captain
 
ailikesiliu's Avatar
 
Drives: Asian Cutties
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 740
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
No, a friend of mine is looking at a set being sold in town, but isn't sure if they are indeed as authentic as advertised.
i see. i got a set in my storage as well. if u wanna come take a look, lmk.
ailikesiliu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Dellort_M3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 431
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
No, a friend of mine is looking at a set being sold in town, but isn't sure if they are indeed as authentic as advertised.
The reps Ive seen personally dont look anything like the real oem ones. You should be able to tell. One of the main reasons for making these reps is the fitment, so majority of 220M reps you see are 18". Also, inbetween the spokes, the reps are painted black instead of the dark gunmetal finish oem ones have. The wheels are relatively cheap anyways, so I doubt anyone went out and made an exact replica.
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red 6MT E92 M3 | Active Stage 2 w/Meth | KW Clubsport | OSS | Challenge Front Lip | Vorsteiner Type 2 Rear Diffuser and Bootlid | Brembo | Recaro | Akrapovic Slip-On | Challenge Race+ X-Pipe | Vossen CV3 | OEM 359M | TE37SL
Dellort_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,480
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
As far as I know
Most reps have 3 series offsets
They will be in the 30-40 offset range
m3 wheels usually are in the mid 20s

Think about it
You're going to do all your tooling for a limited production car?
Or to target every 328/335 out there?
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
FairladyZ
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

Great info guy, many thanks!

bbs_lm, I see you are in Vancouver too. Once weather gets better, we should perhaps organize a local meet.
FairladyZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
kitw
Colonel
 
kitw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 2,551
iTrader: (14)

Most of the reps I've seen don't have the machined face/painted insides and barrels like the stock ones. But, it can be hard to tell, when in doubt, run away.
kitw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
ailikesiliu
Captain
 
ailikesiliu's Avatar
 
Drives: Asian Cutties
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 740
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
Great info guy, many thanks!

bbs_lm, I see you are in Vancouver too. Once weather gets better, we should perhaps organize a local meet.
dude. I am sure u know me. lol.
ailikesiliu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
FairladyZ
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbs_lm View Post
dude. I am sure u know me. lol.
LOL what? So the plot thickens. Are you on VS? RS? I only know Alex1988 who used to drive a E46 and now has a E92. You are not Alex. Or are you lol.
FairladyZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #13
ailikesiliu
Captain
 
ailikesiliu's Avatar
 
Drives: Asian Cutties
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 740
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
LOL what? So the plot thickens. Are you on VS? RS? I only know Alex1988 who used to drive a E46 and now has a E92. You are not Alex. Or are you lol.
haha. yes i am. i just changed my username. let's hang out sometime!
did u started modding your car yet?
ailikesiliu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #14
FairladyZ
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbs_lm
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
LOL what? So the plot thickens. Are you on VS? RS? I only know Alex1988 who used to drive a E46 and now has a E92. You are not Alex. Or are you lol.
haha. yes i am. i just changed my username. let's hang out sometime!
did u started modding your car yet?
For sure man, we'll meet up once weather gets better.

Stock notes are too quiet for me, I'll be looking at A / E exhausts soon. But I want one with double-walled tips.
FairladyZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #15
ailikesiliu
Captain
 
ailikesiliu's Avatar
 
Drives: Asian Cutties
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 740
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
For sure man, we'll meet up once weather gets better.

Stock notes are too quiet for me, I'll be looking at A / E exhausts soon. But I want one with double-walled tips.
I see. I know a local guy selling his slightly used akra evo for a very good price. let me know if u want his number.
I am still looking for a eisenmann sport, do not want ir too loud for a DD.
ailikesiliu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
FairladyZ
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbs_lm View Post
I see. I know a local guy selling his slightly used akra evo for a very good price. let me know if u want his number.
I am still looking for a eisenmann sport, do not want ir too loud for a DD.
Me too. I've been looking at Eisenmann as well. My understand is Eisenmann Sport is the quietest of them all (relatively).

I wont a louder rumble in lower RPMs, but still want to retain that high pitch sound towards redline. I know Youtube isn't the most reliable source, but the clips I've seen for Eisenmann Sport sounded quite like what I'm after.

One thing I like about (any) stock tips is the chrome double wall finish. Many aftermarket ones has thinner walls, which is a turn-off for me.

I was reading up on IND's site:

http://www.ind-distribution.com/cata...%20M3%5E65.php

Not sure what they mean by "perforated tips" ?
FairladyZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #17
ailikesiliu
Captain
 
ailikesiliu's Avatar
 
Drives: Asian Cutties
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 740
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
Me too. I've been looking at Eisenmann as well. My understand is Eisenmann Sport is the quietest of them all (relatively).

I wont a louder rumble in lower RPMs, but still want to retain that high pitch sound towards redline. I know Youtube isn't the most reliable source, but the clips I've seen for Eisenmann Sport sounded quite like what I'm after.

One thing I like about (any) stock tips is the chrome double wall finish. Many aftermarket ones has thinner walls, which is a turn-off for me.

I was reading up on IND's site:

http://www.ind-distribution.com/cata...%20M3%5E65.php

Not sure what they mean by "perforated tips" ?
Perforated tips are those ones with little holes on the inside. My e46 has eisenmann sport on it and i think it is perfect for a DD. It has no drone at all and i am still missing the high pitch sound when you redline it.
Here is what perforated tips look like:
ailikesiliu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
FairladyZ
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

Ah. I knew perforated means holes punched, but didn't notice until you posted the picture that the holes are on the inside of the tip, but are not visible from outside.

I assume these holes alter the notes a bit, VS the non-perforated tips?

From this picture, it looks like the wall of the tip is pretty thin eh. I guess they don't have double-walled tips.
FairladyZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
ailikesiliu
Captain
 
ailikesiliu's Avatar
 
Drives: Asian Cutties
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 740
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
Ah. I knew perforated means holes punched, but didn't notice until you posted the picture that the holes are on the inside of the tip, but are not visible from outside.

I assume these holes alter the notes a bit, VS the non-perforated tips?

From this picture, it looks like the wall of the tip is pretty thin eh. I guess they don't have double-walled tips.
There should be a slightly difference in sound due to the perforated tips, but not much. The one I had on my E46 have perforated tips, I did not notice any sound difference compare to others. The thing with eisenmann is that you won't get much weight savings compare to stock, they are quite heavy mufflers too. Also if you looking to get double-walled tips, have u checked the remus sport? there is one for sale in the private section, sounds not bad too.
ailikesiliu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST