BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
werly
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 328
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to werly
Velos Tuning & Huge Thanks to Omar

Yes eventually I got in touch with Omar@Velos Designwerks through a good friend of mine.

Omar is beyond kind and patient to provide fast responses with rich information to answer my questions about the Velos Tune.

After communicating with Omar for couple days I made up my mind and placed the order with him. Shipping is unbelievably fast and here is a mini unboxing section using iphone:

Open box shot, first is the personal tuner so I do not need to send in my computer unit


Underneath are the accessories (USB, OBDII, flash drive..etc)


The night that I received the package I eagerly hooked up the personal tuner to my car to read the stock file; it took a little bit less than 2 hours.


Velos then got back to me first thing in the morning with the "stage 2" modded ECU since I run catless set up. I threw in the tuned file in right away and this time took about a hour, finished right before my morning commute. So I tried it out.

The tune remaps DME including changes to several tables such as fuel, ignition, throttle, filling maps, torque maps, etc...

First thing I noticed of course is the cold start delete. NO MORE DROOOONE that bothers everyone around me. Not to get too technical but overall the catless xpipe + tubi runs much more stable airflow, never will the O2 sensors miscommunite and constantly repeat cold start over and over. The discolor issue that I had on exhaust tips before the tune is now reduced due to the new a/f adjustments and the engine is burning fuel in a cleaner and much efficient way.

And also because of cleaner and more efficient combustion, the smell comes out bit less than before. I almost choked by the smell before but now, although it is not significantly reduced, I do live with it peacefully, so I will hold on to my 200 cell cats for now.

Next is the power. Throttle response, like most tunes out there, gets better/smoother. It is now easier to shift up/down esp in my 6mt. As it gets to 3000+ rpm the difference shows. As a driver there is definitely more pull from behind the car when accelerating. And when I pushed the M button...before the button makes the car faster, now it makes the car scarier all the way to redline. I did not get a chance to dyno since I am working Monday to Friday and the only dyno place I know does not open on weekends so apology for the lack of back up evidence. The gains should be around 15 rwhp & 12 lb ft of tq.

Overall the tune delivers a pleasant result and addresses to all accounts that I had with solely catless xpipe. It makes the car smells better, sounds better, runs better, and I am able to go back to stock anytime I'd like.

Great tune and great people @ Velos.
werly is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
In Extremis
Jordan C
 
In Extremis's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MR E92 M3, 65 GTO
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 371
iTrader: (1)

Nice man! I got my vishnu/meth yesterday. I'm not familiar with velos but it sure looks like a nice tune, cool to retain the functionality/fun of the m button. Im not sure about other tunes but on my last car i had the dinan flash and pressing the m button did nothing.
__________________
Melbourne Red E92 M3 DCT Sparco CF/Alcantara DTM Seats.KW3 Coilovers.Apex Wheels.OEM Performance Spoiler with CRT Theme & Splitters.Turner Subframe Mounts.Vorshlag Camber Plates.RD Sway Bars.AD08s 265/295.15 lb. Braille Battery.Catless Gintani Race.ESS Tune.Dinan Pulley.MS2 Intake.100 Octane Mix.Schroth Harnesses.Challenge Harness Bar in MR.Challenge Toe Link.Krics R40.Turner Studs/Pedals.SS Lines.Rear Seat Delete & more I can't remember
In Extremis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
 
C|3R1C's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 483
iTrader: (0)

Nice to see you again werly! Can't till we find time to put your beautiful car on the dyno
__________________
2010 E93 M3 / AA Catless X-Pipe / AA Catback / AA Pulley / Vorsteiner Vented Hood and Bootlid E93 Trunk / ADV1 7.1 Wheels GB / LS3 LED Lights / AFE Stage 2 / Velos Designwerks Tune
C|3R1C is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,970
iTrader: (5)

Very nice man,Congrats !
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
sA x sKy
Sameet
 
sA x sKy's Avatar
 
Drives: One Slow Matte Black N55
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, New York

Posts: 1,739
iTrader: (2)

Sweet!

Question...is this the same Omar that left AA? Met him at Bimmerstock and he gave me a couple of AA decals. Cool guy!
__________________
| KW V3 | Vanguard V2 Exhaust | JB4 | AR DP | Custom Stainless Steel DO Meth Setup | BMS CP | BMS Intake | M-Sport | ZCP M3 Spoiler | Gunsmoke Euro LCI Tails |


PLASTIDIPPPED Matte Black E92 Photoshoot
sA x sKy is offline   Bangladesh
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
edu09
Major
 
edu09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Frozen Black M3 ESS 650
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Doral, FL

Posts: 1,220
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
Sweet!

Question...is this the same Omar that left AA? Met him at Bimmerstock and he gave me a couple of AA decals. Cool guy!
Yes , he is the same Omar that left AA
__________________
2013 M3 E93 | Frozen Black, individual interior black with red stitching, Carbon Leather trim, M Double-clutch Transmission, Enhanced Premium Sound Sys
Mods: ESS VT2 650 SC / Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust / Brembo 365 kit / HRE RB2 wheels / Toyo R888 tires / KW coilover sleeve kit / OSS V4 kit / OEM Frozen Blk Rear Lip Spoiler / BMW Performance Black Grilles / BMW Wind Deflector / FB Vorsteiner Front Spoiler / FB side gills
edu09 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
j2m
Colonel
 
j2m's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, Ab

Posts: 2,452
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
Sweet, CongrattsWhat other performance MOD's are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanE92 View Post
Nice man! I got my vishnu/meth yesterday. I'm not familiar with velos but it sure looks like a nice tune, cool to retain the functionality/fun of the m button. Im not sure about other tunes but on my last car i had the dinan flash and pressing the m button did nothing.
Meth FTW! Make sure you post up a review, interested to see what you think
__________________

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
j2m is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
werly
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 328
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to werly
Quote:
Originally Posted by C|3R1C View Post
Nice to see you again werly! Can't till we find time to put your beautiful car on the dyno
What's up buddy. I saw your screen name from another post but I wasn't sure it's you but now I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Very nice man,Congrats !
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2M3 View Post
Sweet, CongrattsWhat other performance MOD's are you running?
Just a custom catless xpipe + a BMC filter if that counts toward performance, lol
werly is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
 
C|3R1C's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 483
iTrader: (0)

It is me!!
__________________
2010 E93 M3 / AA Catless X-Pipe / AA Catback / AA Pulley / Vorsteiner Vented Hood and Bootlid E93 Trunk / ADV1 7.1 Wheels GB / LS3 LED Lights / AFE Stage 2 / Velos Designwerks Tune
C|3R1C is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
tamana
Private
 
Drives: nids
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: veren

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Very nice!
tamana is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #11
FormulaMMM
Major
 
FormulaMMM's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MI

Posts: 1,224
iTrader: (1)

Way better than my review on the same...... Nice work and thanks for posting your impressions. Good to see others going with Velos.

Your review makes me want to go catless. Now.
FormulaMMM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Omar@VelosDesignwerks's Avatar
 
Drives: Different Ones
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Miami

Posts: 1,260
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Thanks for the kind words and pleased to see you are enjoying everything Werly!
Omar@VelosDesignwerks is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,397
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Good stuff Omar.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
kthxbye
Banned
 
Drives: '11 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central & North NJ

Posts: 458
iTrader: (0)

Great write up, I'll be in the market for a tune soon so definitely another to consider
kthxbye is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
meisterm3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Vroom
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 357
iTrader: (6)

Awesome news! Great to have an option like Velos in our backyard!

Open House soon for us locals......?
meisterm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
BMWJ
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NY

Posts: 285
iTrader: (0)

But the "M" button has zero effect on how fast the car is....

So much for reviews of speed based on feel ......
BMWJ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #17
m3an
Banned
 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by werly View Post
Yes eventually I got in touch with Omar@Velos Designwerks through a good friend of mine.

Omar is beyond kind and patient to provide fast responses with rich information to answer my questions about the Velos Tune.

After communicating with Omar for couple days I made up my mind and placed the order with him. Shipping is unbelievably fast and here is a mini unboxing section using iphone:

Open box shot, first is the personal tuner so I do not need to send in my computer unit


Underneath are the accessories (USB, OBDII, flash drive..etc)


The night that I received the package I eagerly hooked up the personal tuner to my car to read the stock file; it took a little bit less than 2 hours.


Velos then got back to me first thing in the morning with the "stage 2" modded ECU since I run catless set up. I threw in the tuned file in right away and this time took about a hour, finished right before my morning commute. So I tried it out.

The tune remaps DME including changes to several tables such as fuel, ignition, throttle, filling maps, torque maps, etc...

First thing I noticed of course is the cold start delete. NO MORE DROOOONE that bothers everyone around me. Not to get too technical but overall the catless xpipe + tubi runs much more stable airflow, never will the O2 sensors miscommunite and constantly repeat cold start over and over. The discolor issue that I had on exhaust tips before the tune is now reduced due to the new a/f adjustments and the engine is burning fuel in a cleaner and much efficient way.

And also because of cleaner and more efficient combustion, the smell comes out bit less than before. I almost choked by the smell before but now, although it is not significantly reduced, I do live with it peacefully, so I will hold on to my 200 cell cats for now.

Next is the power. Throttle response, like most tunes out there, gets better/smoother. It is now easier to shift up/down esp in my 6mt. As it gets to 3000+ rpm the difference shows. As a driver there is definitely more pull from behind the car when accelerating. And when I pushed the M button...before the button makes the car faster, now it makes the car scarier all the way to redline. I did not get a chance to dyno since I am working Monday to Friday and the only dyno place I know does not open on weekends so apology for the lack of back up evidence. The gains should be around 15 rwhp & 12 lb ft of tq.

Overall the tune delivers a pleasant result and addresses to all accounts that I had with solely catless xpipe. It makes the car smells better, sounds better, runs better, and I am able to go back to stock anytime I'd like.

Great tune and great people @ Velos.

hmmm.. and every fanboi here jumped down my thoat when I suggested a tune would help with the bumper soot and slightly w/ the smell. Congrats! I gotta stop by this guys shop and check it out.
m3an is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
GOLFFRR's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf Cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Solvang, CA/Camarillo, CA

Posts: 15,063
iTrader: (4)

congrats! Omar def knows his stuff

Enjoy and be safe
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance? GO HERE-->http://www.bimmerdavid.com/#!blank/c1r1e
Our Parts Store--> http://www.bmwpartspros.com
GOLFFRR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #19
Bimmma
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SoFL

Posts: 38
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgold View Post
Awesome news! Great to have an option like Velos in our backyard!

Open House soon for us locals......?
Would also be interested
Bimmma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #20
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

Omar back on the beat and making life easy for all! Nice work.
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #21
NFAM3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 399
iTrader: (0)

Their tune is awesome. I've said it once and I'll mention it here again. I had the Active tune which was great. I had a great experience w Omar at Active. When I found out he went to Velos, I went to talk to him and we started talking about their new tune. We put my car on the dyno before installing their tune. I put out 364 at the wheels. After we installed the Velos tune, my car jumped up to 375 at the wheels. That's 10 horsepower on a naturally aspirated car that already had a tune in the first place. I don't know about you guys but I was pretty impressed. And if you see their shop, it's freaking beautiful. Everything there looks high end. I'll recommend them to anyone. No regrets here.

I know you'll enjoy that tune. Congrats!!!
__________________
2011 BMW M3
NFAM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #22
werly
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 328
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to werly
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM3 View Post
Way better than my review on the same...... Nice work and thanks for posting your impressions. Good to see others going with Velos.

Your review makes me want to go catless. Now.
lol why not, as long as you and your significant half can live with the smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar@VelosDesignwerks View Post
Thanks for the kind words and pleased to see you are enjoying everything Werly!
You got it Omar, thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJ View Post
But the "M" button has zero effect on how fast the car is....

So much for reviews of speed based on feel ......
I wish I could provide numbers and figures but it is yet to come

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
hmmm.. and every fanboi here jumped down my thoat when I suggested a tune would help with the bumper soot and slightly w/ the smell. Congrats! I gotta stop by this guys shop and check it out.
Well...I guess you will have to in it to prove it. Now I am your back up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFAM3 View Post
There tune is awesome. I've said it once and I'll mention it here again. I had the Active tune which was great. I had a great experience w Omar at Active. When I found out he went to Velos, I went to talk to him and we started talking about their new tune. We put my car on the dyno before installing their tune. I put out 364 at the wheels. After we installed the Velos tune, my car jumped up to 375 at the wheels. That's 10 horsepower on a naturally aspirated car that already had a tune in the first place. I don't know about you guys but I was pretty impressed. And if you see their shop, it's freaking beautiful. Everything there looks high end. I'll recommend them to anyone. No regrets here.

I know you'll enjoy that tune. Congrats!!!
I am definitely! Good to know another Velos tuned car out there
werly is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST