BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Lux Angel Eyes

01-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #1
Euroonly
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Does track day void extended warranty

Planning to take my car to the track this year and also in process of purchasing extended warranty. In the scenario if car breaks down on the track, would a repair claim be denied?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #2
Adenau
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroonly View Post
Planning to take my car to the track this year and also in process of purchasing extended warranty. In the scenario if car breaks down on the track, would a repair claim be denied?
Probably. It could be classified as "damaged by abuse" and they may deny a claim. Read the fine print.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #3
roastbeef
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

there are going to be a lot of varying opinions on this. get several quotes and sample contracts from companies you are shopping. i did this and read all the fine print, seeking out any verbage that talks about competition, hpde, etc.. i couldn't find any in the particular policy i chose.
i would never condone insurance fraud, and i'm not sure about a warranty, but i would just keep the info to a minimum. i would privately have the car towed home and simply say the car started acting funny when i was driving it. doesn't matter that i happened to be on a race track.
      01-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
Euroonly
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber///M View Post
Quote:
Probably. It could be classified as "damaged by abuse" and they may deny a claim. Read the fine print.
If nothing is mentioned I should be fine? I did some research and for example BMW original warranty talks about "competition is not covered". Kind of gray area.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 10:58 PM   #5
Adenau
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
If nothing is mentioned I should be fine? I did some research and for example BMW original warranty talks about "competition is not covered". Kind of gray area.
Competition doesn't include track days. They specifically mean for use in Motorsport, professional racing etc. BMW ///M developed the M3 on the track and know it's intended, or potential expected use.

Your aftermarket warranty may see that differently though... tread with caution..

Or don't give a shit and have fun.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
dparm
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Quote:

If they can prove the track usage caused that specific problem, then you will be paying out of pocket. They won't void the whole warranty.

For example, my car had the BMW Extended Vehicle Protection, which is BMW's own extended warranty. My FRM (footwell module) went bad and they replaced it under warranty, despite the fact my car has been to the track plenty of times. Why? Because tracking the car probably didn't cause the FRM failure.
      01-22-2017, 11:25 PM   #7
roastbeef
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i have tracked the car many times. haven't "competed" once. contrary to some closed minded thinking track driving is not abuse. it is asking the car to work hard, but that is hardly abuse. secondary to all that, prove i was at the track.
      01-22-2017, 11:39 PM   #8
Captain Apex
Stop the Hate, Get a V8
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

I am the type of guy who says if the car blows up on track it was going to eventually on street, but warranties and dealers do not agree.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 11:41 PM   #9
roastbeef
Major General
United_States
Rep

i have never once taken my car in for warranty work (brake vacuum leak, other crap) and had the dealer ask me, "where did this happen?"
      01-23-2017, 12:12 AM   #10
Euroonly
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

To be specific my car has 28K miles and is out of warranty. I'm not interested in replacing the bearings while I can get a powertrain warranty for a little more and also be covered for throttle actuators. So at the moment shopping for a warranty for a piece of mind.

I would like to take the car to the track. With that said, my main concern is something happening at the track like engine failure. I don't want to be in position where I need to lie by saying it happened elsewhere or have any kind of complications.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 12:27 AM   #11
hawaiiracer1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5, 2008 M3, 2009 M3,991

I work with Insurance company and I can tell you No its definitely not covered if your car is taken to the track . I've been through a few claims that I know the vehicle was tracked or raced and they said it happen on the street but be carful were you would say on the street because we use Google maps to show the area and if you describe it wrong , Claim denied
So never say it was damaged at the track , Just saying
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 12:29 AM   #12
Euroonly
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiracer1 View Post
I work with Insurance company and I can tell you No its definitely not covered if your car is taken to the track . I've been through a few claims that I know the vehicle was tracked or raced and they said it happen on the street but be carful were you would say on the street because we use Google maps to show the area and if you describe it wrong , Claim denied
So never say it was damaged at the track , Just saying
Just to make sure, are you referring to car insurance or warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 04:58 AM   #13
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
To be specific my car has 28K miles and is out of warranty. I'm not interested in replacing the bearings while I can get a powertrain warranty for a little more and also be covered for throttle actuators. So at the moment shopping for a warranty for a piece of mind.

I would like to take the car to the track. With that said, my main concern is something happening at the track like engine failure. I don't want to be in position where I need to lie by saying it happened elsewhere or have any kind of complications.
Getting an extended warranty after the manufacturer's warranty has expired cost a lot more... many times they won't even give the warranty.
If you do get it, you're engine could start making a funny sound and you bring it to a mechanic, who then opens the bottom end to inspect it and discovers the bearings are worn to sh#t... maybe that extended warranty would then cover the bearing replacement??
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 07:37 AM   #14
Adenau
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroonly

Something else to consider is most warranty companies have a 90 time period where coverage is suspended when you initially start the warranty. Meaning they wont pay for shit the first 90 days. So if you did get the warranty today, and then grenade your engine this weekend, they wont pay.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #15
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP, M Roadster, X5 4.4

Lockton track insurance would be your best bet if going to the track.

As for your extended warranty, your best bet is to talk to the provider and get specifics in writing.

"The internet said it was OK" usually doesn't in count in court

Become a BMW CCA member & reference my member# 339225
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #16
Euroonly
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Quote:

Getting an extended warranty after the manufacturer's warranty has expired cost a lot more... many times they won't even give the warranty.
If you do get it, you're engine could start making a funny sound and you bring it to a mechanic, who then opens the bottom end to inspect it and discovers the bearings are worn to sh#t... maybe that extended warranty would then cover the bearing replacement??
The prices I'm being offered are usually simular or less than bearing and throttle acutuator jobs together, so it makes sense to me to go with a warranty at this time. It is a low mileage car and I would prefer not opening up the engine while I can still get a warranty for a reasonable price and be covered.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #17
Euroonly
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
Lockton track insurance would be your best bet if going to the track.

As for your extended warranty, your best bet is to talk to the provider and get specifics in writing.

"The internet said it was OK" usually doesn't in count in court
Of course, I was hoping to find insight from people that track their car, but have an extended warranty. Thanks for the insurance recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #18
Euroonly
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber///M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroonly

Something else to consider is most warranty companies have a 90 time period where coverage is suspended when you initially start the warranty. Meaning they wont pay for shit the first 90 days. So if you did get the warranty today, and then grenade your engine this weekend, they wont pay.
Thanks for the tip, didn't know about the 90 day period.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #19
Euroonly
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anyone with extended warranty that goes to the track?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #20
Flying Ace
mdosu
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5d, Civic M3 w/1.5 psi off

this is a question of enforcement of contract language and what's written (and not written) in the booklet, so it's an excerise you'll have to do. Even if someone said "yeah, I have extended, then tracked it, then [insert part] broke and it was/wasn't covered" is just a single example. In fact, that guy may not even have the same warranty as yours.

Remember warranties are written to attempt to prevent writing you a check....sooo...I think you already know the answer. YMMV when you attempt to claim ANYTHING under warranty, let along using your car in a non-standard way....

Last edited by Flying Ace; 01-23-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #21
Flying Ace
mdosu
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5d, Civic M3 w/1.5 psi off

Quote:
The prices I'm being offered are usually simular or less than bearing and throttle acutuator jobs together, so it makes sense to me to go with a warranty at this time. It is a low mileage car and I would prefer not opening up the engine while I can still get a warranty for a reasonable price and be covered.
what? It doesn't make sense. It seems like you're betting on a bearing failure. What if it doesn't fail after you buy the warranty? Then you already paid up for something that didn't get replaced.

If you're in the camp of bearings are due to fail, then pay up and replace BEFORE it fails. B/c buying a warranty and then crossing your figures to hope that it fails during the coverage period just seems silly...when bearings fail, it causes other issues within the motor and it may never fail.
      01-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #22
Euroonly
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Quote:
what? It doesn't make sense. It seems like you're betting on a bearing failure. What if it doesn't fail after you buy the warranty? Then you already paid up for something that didn't get replaced.

If you're in the camp of bearings are due to fail, then pay up and replace BEFORE it fails. B/c buying a warranty and then crossing your figures to hope that it fails during the coverage period just seems silly...when bearings fail, it causes other issues within the motor and it may never fail.
Not sure why you got the impression I would want my engine to fail. But in case it does - I'm buying a warranty for a piece of mind. The reason I started this thread was to see if my car broke down on the track, would I be denied a repair claim as the issue occurred on the track. This is not about should I buy a warranty or not.
Appreciate 0