BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada
 
rolloface
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
HamburglarM3
New Member
 
HamburglarM3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Waterless Car Wash

So the other day, I had some free time and stopped by Canadian Tire to browse around to see if there were any new car care products I could try. One product caught my attention: GoClean waterless car wash.

I thought to myself, if this works, it would be super convenient seeing how I'm living in a condo and don't have access to a water source (or simply if I'm too lazy to do the whole shebang)

For those who haven't tried it, I highly recommend it for regular upkeep of your M. All you need are two micro fibre cloths and a bottle of the $15 GoClean product. A few sprays onto the car and the cloth and some elbow grease later, the car was clean and it claims to wax it too. I wouldn't do it on a super dirty car though and would probably go through a touchless car wash first before trying this.
HamburglarM3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
DARK_M3
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (3)

I rarely water wash my car. Maybe like once every 5 weeks. I usually start with my California Duster and get all the dust off the car. Then a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Quick detailer with a few micro-fiber towels. It's fast and easy.

I will ususally follow with an additional spray down with Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax and a couple fresh micro's.

Add in clay bar every 3 months with a full re-wax just to keep things looking their best. Water? Yeah... not too often.
DARK_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
HamburglarM3
New Member
 
HamburglarM3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Interesting. I'll give your routine a try next time!
HamburglarM3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
 
frankzlin79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, Texas

Posts: 1,619
iTrader: (5)

You guys crazy? It's water that is necessary to wash off dirt and fine dirt. If you don't use water, you'll just be causing scratches to your clear coat due to the dirt. Even dusting the car off first will still cause scratches without water.
frankzlin79 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
bvhbmw
Detailer
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

A safe hoseless wash is possible using two buckets and some Optimum No Rinse (ONR).
bvhbmw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
HamburglarM3
New Member
 
HamburglarM3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvhbmw View Post
A safe hoseless wash is possible using two buckets and some Optimum No Rinse (ONR).
Just read online about this product. Sounds like a good compromise between the GoClean waterless and full on car wash. I'm always fascinated by better, more efficient ways of doing things...I gotta try this.
HamburglarM3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #7
Chowster
E60_to_E90
 
Chowster's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Surrey, BC, Canada

Posts: 1,204
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburglarM3 View Post
Just read online about this product. Sounds like a good compromise between the GoClean waterless and full on car wash. I'm always fascinated by better, more efficient ways of doing things...I gotta try this.
+1 for ONR. I use it all winter on a weekly basis for mild to moderate levels of dirtiness (inside my garage). Works well even on mild road salt. I would recommend using a more concentrated dilution of the ONR as a pre-soak prior to the ONR regimen (I use a manual pressurized garden sprayer for application). There's tonnes to read about ONR in the various detailing forums.
__________________
2011.5 E90 Dinan M3, SS II, M-DCT, EDC, M Drive. Winter setup 220M w/ 255/275 Blizzaks
Performance Mods: Dinan St.1 suspension, exhaust, intake; TTPs; BPM St.II, DCT, servo tunes
Cosmetic Mods: OEM CF splitters, mirrors, center console, spoiler; Arkym CF diffuser; LUX; tint
Chowster is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
 
BMRLVR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 2,329
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79
You guys crazy? It's water that is necessary to wash off dirt and fine dirt. If you don't use water, you'll just be causing scratches to your clear coat due to the dirt. Even dusting the car off first will still cause scratches without water.
+1

Had this conversation on here before and I was called a fool!

I have used ONR but only for light dust never dirt. I have seen scratches and marring on test panels even with ONR, on light and moderate dirt.

Guys, use these products at your own risk, especially if you have a dark colored car!!!
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
BMRLVR is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
ottoblotto
///M-Flight Bavaria
 
ottoblotto's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Im around

Posts: 1,198
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011.75 BMW M3 E90  [5.00]
Thou shall not use waterless car wash on your M3! 10 hell mary's and four knuckle smacks for you!
Attached Images
 
__________________
"With great power comes great responsibility." -El-Superbeasto
ottoblotto is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
py0413
Major
 
py0413's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M5
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: BC

Posts: 1,178
iTrader: (2)

I have used a few different waterless car wash product, although it is not for the best result compare to regular wash but sometimes you just have too few options.
__________________
Must stop eating..............
py0413 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,950
iTrader: (7)

IMO if you are going to use a waterless car wash, you might as well just take it through touchless car wash - probably the same effect on the finish
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #12
larryn
Major General
 
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

Posts: 8,441
iTrader: (2)

I occasionally use Griots spray car wash on my ///M, but only if it is not too dirty - more like if I had just washed it, and it rained the next day...

I use a Cali duster to start, then the spray, with a bunch of MF towels. It takes about 10 minutes, compared to 1-2 hrs.

If it's dirty, I wouldn't even attempt doing this, and it's time for a proper bath.
larryn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #13
Merlosso
Banned
 
Drives: Results
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Germantown, MD

Posts: 495
iTrader: (2)

I use ONR also. Excellent product. If you're careful and do it right, it's no more risky than the old fashioned garden hose method and you'll only use a few gallons of water.
  1. Fill one bucket with water and ONR
  2. Fill a second bucket with clean water
  3. Use a brand new, never used microfiber towel (a pack of 30 at Costco is $12)
  4. Dunk the towel in the wash bucket, wring it slightly, and do a gentle wipe over the first panel
  5. Rinse the towel in the rinse bucket
  6. Repeat and do additional passes as needed until the panel is clean
  7. Dry the panel with another microfiber towel (I use a larger waffle weave towel for this)
  8. Work your way down the car, panel by panel, until the car is clean
Like anything, use common sense. If the car is really dirty, don't jump right in and start scrubbing. If there is mud or road salt on the car, you might need to hose it off first or if thats not an option, go through a cheap touch-less car wash first to get the heavy stuff off.

I wash my car like this weekly. It's fast, thorough, and my paint looks great. Its also convenient because I can do it in the garage, out of direct sunlight. Every 3 or 4 weeks I use Optimum's spray on wax. I couldn't be happier with the results.
Merlosso is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
bvhbmw
Detailer
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

+1 for this method


Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
I use ONR also. Excellent product. If you're careful and do it right, it's no more risky than the old fashioned garden hose method and you'll only use a few gallons of water.
  1. Fill one bucket with water and ONR
  2. Fill a second bucket with clean water
  3. Use a brand new, never used microfiber towel (a pack of 30 at Costco is $12)
  4. Dunk the towel in the wash bucket, wring it slightly, and do a gentle wipe over the first panel
  5. Rinse the towel in the rinse bucket
  6. Repeat and do additional passes as needed until the panel is clean
  7. Dry the panel with another microfiber towel (I use a larger waffle weave towel for this)
  8. Work your way down the car, panel by panel, until the car is clean
Like anything, use common sense. If the car is really dirty, don't jump right in and start scrubbing. If there is mud or road salt on the car, you might need to hose it off first or if thats not an option, go through a cheap touch-less car wash first to get the heavy stuff off.

I wash my car like this weekly. It's fast, thorough, and my paint looks great. Its also convenient because I can do it in the garage, out of direct sunlight. Every 3 or 4 weeks I use Optimum's spray on wax. I couldn't be happier with the results.
bvhbmw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,112
iTrader: (3)

I have used ONR before but it does mar the finish slightly on a black car even with a ONR pre-soak with pressurized sprayer, 2 buckets and panel-by-panel method. I used the same technique on a metallic grey car and you never notice the marring. On soft blacks however, beware.

Doing this careful ONR method you aren't saving any time over a conventional wash. It just allows you do it indoors or without a hose.

As for the spray-on wipe off waterless washes, stay very far away from those.
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
Raja Ventureshield
Banned
 
Raja Ventureshield's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 coupe
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 5,695
iTrader: (6)

ONR is man's new best friend. I use it all the time. It works very well.
Raja Ventureshield is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
Chowster
E60_to_E90
 
Chowster's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Surrey, BC, Canada

Posts: 1,204
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I have used ONR before but it does mar the finish slightly on a black car even with a ONR pre-soak with pressurized sprayer, 2 buckets and panel-by-panel method. I used the same technique on a metallic grey car and you never notice the marring. On soft blacks however, beware.

Doing this careful ONR method you aren't saving any time over a conventional wash. It just allows you do it indoors or without a hose.

As for the spray-on wipe off waterless washes, stay very far away from those.
Definitely allows us Canadians up north to wash our cars inside the garage through the colder months of the year. Saves me some time too, but that's not my primary reason for using it.
Chowster is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
HamburglarM3
New Member
 
HamburglarM3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Just tried Autoglym Rapid Detailer. Upon spraying it onto the car body and wiping it off with a new microfiber towel, there is still significant amount of dirt that the GoClean product did not wash off completely.

I guess the reason is that after you finish washing one area of the car, your towel is already dirty, you have no way to rinse it in a bucket of water (when using waterless) and then you are onto the next area of the car wiping it with a dirty towel. The car does LOOK clean but in actual fact, it is still dirty.
HamburglarM3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,112
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburglarM3 View Post
Just tried Autoglym Rapid Detailer. Upon spraying it onto the car body and wiping it off with a new microfiber towel, there is still significant amount of dirt that the GoClean product did not wash off completely.

I guess the reason is that after you finish washing one area of the car, your towel is already dirty, you have no way to rinse it in a bucket of water (when using waterless) and then you are onto the next area of the car wiping it with a dirty towel. The car does LOOK clean but in actual fact, it is still dirty.
A detail spray is not a waterless wash product... detailers are designed to be used after you wash the car to boost the paint gloss. Or to clean light dust on a clean car.
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #20
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Moxie's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Stuttgart

Posts: 1,859
iTrader: (11)

I use the california duster daily after I garage it & follow up with Optimum No Rinse in a spray botle as a quick detailer & MF towels on bee shit & bugs as needed. No pressure/rubbing. Wash it 5-6 times a year & garage it for Winter. Always looks clean -
Moxie is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #21
DARK_M3
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I occasionally use Griots spray car wash on my ///M, but only if it is not too dirty - more like if I had just washed it, and it rained the next day...

I use a Cali duster to start, then the spray, with a bunch of MF towels. It takes about 10 minutes, compared to 1-2 hrs.

If it's dirty, I wouldn't even attempt doing this, and it's time for a proper bath.
This. I didn't mean to give the impression that I go waterless even if the car is actually really dirty with a buildup of stuff other than just dust! I guess since I wipe my baby down almost on a daily basis with the routine I oulined above, it rarely gets to that point.

I will add that I use my big shop vac blower to blow out brake dust (a big 'ol brown cloud! lol) if I'm going waterless as simply wiping things down won't really clear that stuff.

Jet black and I don't notice any increasing swirls or scratches to the clear coat but I do clay every now and then with a full (real) waxing so I think I keep a pretty good protective base layer down which allows me to do the 'waterless' thing regularly.
DARK_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #22
HamburglarM3
New Member
 
HamburglarM3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
A detail spray is not a waterless wash product... detailers are designed to be used after you wash the car to boost the paint gloss. Or to clean light dust on a clean car.
Today was just to clean light dust off the car. Prior to this I used the GoClean waterless wash product.

I highly doubt my car will get to the point where it will need a full wash every time if i keep up with the cleaning routine every few days.

Since we are on the topic of cleaning / washing / detailing the car. What is the wax / polish that you all prefer to use?

I've only used Zaino Z2 before on my previous bimmer.
HamburglarM3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST