BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
MattE92
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

pulled over for driving an M3

i was driving 30mph in a 25mph zone the other night and a cop pulled me over. he was parked facing the opposite direction at a stop sign intersection and after i fully stopped and proceeded, he made a U turn and pulled me over after following me for a block (300-400ft). he claimed i was going 40 in a 25. i don't know the point of the thread... just a victim of an injustice venting.
MattE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,010
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Gotta make that quota!
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

Were you ticketed?
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
DARK_M3
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (3)

And he was basing this on..... ?
DARK_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Roby84m
Second Lieutenant
 
Roby84m's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3 E92 ZCP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax,NS

Posts: 260
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Roby84m
go to court fight for it never hurts did he radar you? If not then no proof. You are off
Roby84m is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Giccy
Captain
 
Giccy's Avatar
 
Drives: like he has much to learn
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 679
iTrader: (1)

Fight that ish.

Senior citizen couple in Ontario got a ticket recently for driving while using a cellphone....despite the fact that neither of them have ever owned a cell phone.

Every precinct in every jurisdiction has quotas....don't let'em get away with it.
Giccy is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
DARK_M3
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (3)

Set court date.
Go to court.
If no radar/lidar - go home happy (no foundation (proof))
If supposed radar/lidar reading exists - ask judge for a charging instrument - go home happy. (of course this requires that you don't enter a plea of any kind during the initial arraignment... you'll have to do a bit of homework here regarding contracting with the court and waiving certain rights etc.)

The end.
DARK_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

depending on how reasonable the judge feels, even if you were driving 5mph over, it's still speeding by the books. Sucks that you have to waste half a day to go to court over this.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
e1000
that's what SHE said!
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 1,073
iTrader: (1)

"you were doing 55 in a 54"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
e1000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
DARK_M3
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
depending on how reasonable the judge feels, even if you were driving 5mph over, it's still speeding by the books. Sucks that you have to waste half a day to go to court over this.
Only if those books have a traffic survey done to establish the prima facie limit within the last 5 years. Otherwise it's - go home happy.

Agreed on sucks to waste half a day in court though.
DARK_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

I have had few speeding tickets but those I have I gave to my attorney. 300 bucks and it goes away without wasting a chunk of the day in court. I don't know what they (attorneys) do but he said the basic concept is these minor tickets are revenue generation and he makes it so that the costs would exceed the payoff and they drop it. Business is business.
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
PeteM6
Second Lieutenant
 
PeteM6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 202
iTrader: (2)

Quotas are against the law. There are some asshole cops out there tho.
PeteM6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
DARK_M3
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliceM3 View Post
Quotas are against the law. There are some asshole cops out there tho.


But there are some cool ones too!
DARK_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
davcrz5
Private
 
davcrz5's Avatar
 
Drives: X5 M Sport 2011, ISF 2011
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York

Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby84m View Post
go to court fight for it never hurts did he radar you? If not then no proof. You are off
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
Set court date.
Go to court.
If no radar/lidar - go home happy (no foundation (proof))
If supposed radar/lidar reading exists - ask judge for a charging instrument - go home happy. (of course this requires that you don't enter a plea of any kind during the initial arraignment... you'll have to do a bit of homework here regarding contracting with the court and waiving certain rights etc.)

The end.
Neither one of these are 100% correct each state is different regarding speeding laws and each county in has it's own set of rules. In several state police officer receive special training on how to judge speed, also if he had camera in his patrol car and had it on while behind you and it shows the speed he was doing to keep pace or catch up and it's over the speed limit your done.

So do your research first to find out the local laws were you live and hire good lawyer that specialize in speeding tkts a lot of times they can get tkt moved to non moving violation no points just fine or if that fails a reduction on the points good luck.
davcrz5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
tamana
Private
 
Drives: nids
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: veren

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

I don't know what they (attorneys) do but he said the basic concept is these minor tickets are revenue generation and he makes it so that the costs would exceed the payoff and they drop it.
tamana is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #16
DARK_M3
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcrz5 View Post
Neither one of these are 100% correct each state is different regarding speeding laws and each county in has it's own set of rules. In several state police officer receive special training on how to judge speed, also if he had camera in his patrol car and had it on while behind you and it shows the speed he was doing to keep pace or catch up and it's over the speed limit your done.

So do your research first to find out the local laws were you live and hire good lawyer that specialize in speeding tkts a lot of times they can get tkt moved to non moving violation no points just fine or if that fails a reduction on the points good luck.
Agreed. I don't think that he would have been 'paced' as he saw the guy come out with a u-turn and start following him. I mean at that point it was probably the speed limit until the overhead lights went on.

Of course.. the cop can say whatever he wants.
DARK_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
DARK_M3
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamana View Post
I don't know what they (attorneys) do but he said the basic concept is these minor tickets are revenue generation and he makes it so that the costs would exceed the payoff and they drop it.
So on our part, it's just pay to play then? Sounds about right
DARK_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
ottoblotto
///M-Flight Bavaria
 
ottoblotto's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Im around

Posts: 1,188
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011.75 BMW M3 E90  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
"you were doing 55 in a 54"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was actually pulled over in Nashville for speeding many years back in my Ford Bronco. The cop came up to the car and asked for my license and insurance. At the time, I had an expired Texas lic but with my mil ID it was still valid. I gave him everything and when he saw the mil ID he smiled, told me to slow down because going 56 in a 55 was frowned upon in his city, and he let me go...
__________________
"With great power comes great responsibility." -El-Superbeasto
ottoblotto is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
MattE92
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
I was actually pulled over in Nashville for speeding many years back in my Ford Bronco. The cop came up to the car and asked for my license and insurance. At the time, I had an expired Texas lic but with my mil ID it was still valid. I gave him everything and when he saw the mil ID he smiled, told me to slow down because going 56 in a 55 was frowned upon in his city, and he let me go...
i showed him a fireman ID and it didn't make a diff. if it wasn't speeding he would have made something up, like excessive engine noise or some bs. it was pretty much like paying a toll to cross him.

i payed a lawyer $375 and whatever court fees are involved...
MattE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #20
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
 
Poppin Fresh's Avatar
 
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bergen County NJ

Posts: 2,128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE92 View Post
i showed him a fireman ID and it didn't make a diff. if it wasn't speeding he would have made something up, like excessive engine noise or some bs. it was pretty much like paying a toll to cross him.

i payed a lawyer $375 and whatever court fees are involved...
Where was this so we can avoid going through this town as much as possible
__________________
Poppin Fresh is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
e1000
that's what SHE said!
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 1,073
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
I was actually pulled over in Nashville for speeding many years back in my Ford Bronco. The cop came up to the car and asked for my license and insurance. At the time, I had an expired Texas lic but with my mil ID it was still valid. I gave him everything and when he saw the mil ID he smiled, told me to slow down because going 56 in a 55 was frowned upon in his city, and he let me go...
That's nuts. Good to know I'm going to be visiting Nashville soon.
__________________
e1000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,703
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcrz5 View Post
Neither one of these are 100% correct each state is different regarding speeding laws and each county in has it's own set of rules. In several state police officer receive special training on how to judge speed, also if he had camera in his patrol car and had it on while behind you and it shows the speed he was doing to keep pace or catch up and it's over the speed limit your done.

So do your research first to find out the local laws were you live and hire good lawyer that specialize in speeding tkts a lot of times they can get tkt moved to non moving violation no points just fine or if that fails a reduction on the points good luck.
+1, cops are "trained observers". He can visually judge your speed and it holds weight in court.
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST