BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Lux Angel Eyes

04-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant

Drives: none

better brake modulation?

My E90 is stock and the brakes have such a small area on the pedal to modulate. I find it hard to heal toe simply because to hit my heal on the gas, I'm having to stomp on the brakes. Would different pads give the the same/better stopping power while offering a wider range of modulation? if so what do you recommend?
      04-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
paradocs98
Major

Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S

Is it a problem on track or just on the street? I've found in the past (currently have DCT) that certain cars require the deep pedal push of heavy braking--typically in a track setting--to properly align the height of the brake and gas pedals for easy heel-toeing. Oftentimes on the street you don't have the brake pedal depressed far enough for an easy roll of your ankle/foot down and to the right.
paradocs98 is offline   United_States
      04-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
LiM3y
Major

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyj View Post
My E90 is stock and the brakes have such a small area on the pedal to modulate. I find it hard to heal toe simply because to hit my heal on the gas, I'm having to stomp on the brakes. Would different pads give the the same/better stopping power while offering a wider range of modulation? if so what do you recommend?
Practice.

The heel on heel-toeing is done with the side of the foot. Use the ball of your right big toe as a lever pivoting on the side of the pedal and push the gas with the side of your right foot (with a little twist of the ankle too)
      04-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 9|Ridge 1:52:25|Pacific 1:35:72

Drives: Race car->

i wish i could get this down also. i suck at heal toe and its frustrating on the track.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
      04-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Is it a problem on track or just on the street? I've found in the past (currently have DCT) that certain cars require the deep pedal push of heavy braking--typically in a track setting--to properly align the height of the brake and gas pedals for easy heel-toeing. Oftentimes on the street you don't have the brake pedal depressed far enough for an easy roll of your ankle/foot down and to the right.
its a problem on the track. My preference is to actually use the heel, not side of my foot. I do this fine on my 944 race car, but in the m3, the brakes engage just a little too high for my liking. I'd prefer I had to depress the brake more.
      04-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
JDy80
Captain

Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Send a message via AIM to JDy80
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Practice.

The heel on heel-toeing is done with the side of the foot. Use the ball of your right big toe as a lever pivoting on the side of the pedal and push the gas with the side of your right foot (with a little twist of the ankle too)
What he said. I find the side of the foot is a lot easier to do while maintaining brake pressure. I notice people with smaller feet like to swing the heel over, but I have wide enough feet that the side of the foot reaches easily.

2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!
JDy80 is offline   China
      04-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant

so back to my question. will different pads offer different modulation characteristics?
      04-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
LateBraking
Brigadier General

Drives: Reliable Cars

Quote:
Wouldn't extended pedals on the bottom side help with heel toe if you're having problems catching the pedal? I use the side of my foot and have no problems, but if you're used to it in your Porsche and can do it fine, it seems to be a problem of differing setup rather than fundamental technique. I find it extremely easy in my BMW, but find it somewhat harder in other 5/6MT cars that I've driven with differing pedal setups. I think there was a pedal, called "BMW" or "Ultimate" or something that only extends portions of the pedal, like the lower left, center, or upper left. I'd try that.

Edit:

Quote:
so back to my question. will different pads offer different modulation characteristics?
Yes, different pads offer different modulation characteristics. I'm no expert, but hopefully I'm explaining this correctly? It's in the initial bite: some pads bite harder when you simply touch the pedal, and some you have to get on them pretty hard for them to achieve maximum stopping power. As for what pads do what, I'm no expert on that.
LateBraking is offline   United_States
      04-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
LiM3y
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
Wouldn't extended pedals on the bottom side help with heel toe if you're having problems catching the pedal? I use the side of my foot and have no problems, but if you're used to it in your Porsche and can do it fine, it seems to be a problem of differing setup rather than fundamental technique. I find it extremely easy in my BMW, but find it somewhat harder in other 5/6MT cars that I've driven with differing pedal setups. I think there was a pedal, called "BMW" or "Ultimate" or something that only extends portions of the pedal, like the lower left, center, or upper left. I'd try that.

Edit:

Yes, different pads offer different modulation characteristics. I'm no expert, but hopefully I'm explaining this correctly? It's in the initial bite: some pads bite harder when you simply touch the pedal, and some you have to get on them pretty hard for them to achieve maximum stopping power. As for what pads do what, I'm no expert on that.
Ultimatepedals.com
      04-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
LateBraking
Brigadier General

Quote:
Ultimatepedals.com
Ya, them thingymabobbers!
      04-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant

Sorry, I dont think I described my problem that well. Its not that the break peddle is too far left or right to the gas, but that the height of where brake pedal engages to too high compared to the gas pedal. In order for me to kick the gas I have to have the brake fully engaged, which is often too much brake for the corner. If there was an adjustment to just move the brake pedal closer to the floor, I'd be happy with how the brakes operate, or if I had more modulation I would have the same effect. I actually think the stock brakes bite too hard, too early for me. It seems like all the braking is done right when you touch the pedal, then the harder you press, there really is not much more stopping power left.
      04-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post

Edit:

ya, thats what im thinking of. I just dont have that much experinece with different pads. But, my stock pads are getting warn, and if I'm going to spend the money, I might as well see what all options I have.
      04-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
Car54
Captain

Drives: 1999 Z3 Mcoupe | 2008 M3/4

Maybe you just need a pedal on the accelerator to bring it up higher.

Are you pressing the brakes so far that you're into ABS? Trying to understand the comment "too much brakes".

One habit I often find my students doing when trying to heel toe, or even shifting in a braking zone...is that they often are in a rush to downshift. The downshift should be completed towards the end of the braking zone. This requires less blip, and less accelerator pedal travel. Not sure if this is your problem, but though I'd mention it.

Craig Brickner
BM
W CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor
Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
      04-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 9|Ridge 1:52:25|Pacific 1:35:72

Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Maybe you just need a pedal on the accelerator to bring it up higher.

Are you pressing the brakes so far that you're into ABS? Trying to understand the comment "too much brakes".

One habit I often find my students doing when trying to heel toe, or even shifting in a braking zone...is that they often are in a rush to downshift. The downshift should be completed towards the end of the braking zone. This requires less blip, and less accelerator pedal travel. Not sure if this is your problem, but though I'd mention it.
this is a good comment and something i recently picked up. i get almost all my braking done prior to gear changes so its unsettling the car less because the rear isnt quite so light at that point and we have undulations under braking that also make this effect more pronounced at PR, making the later shift a better spot to get it done.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
      04-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
Caspita
Turbo Guru

Drives: 2011.99 E92 ///M

I think It is kind of the same problem I was running into. My previous car didn't have the throttle pegged at the base, it was a floating peddle much like the brake in our cars. I find it a whole lot easier doing heal toe with my heal in the brake and my toes on the throttle....I find it significantly easier for me to bring the revs up.
      04-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
OC3
Havin' a blast!

Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Sorry, I dont think I described my problem that well. Its not that the break peddle is too far left or right to the gas, but that the height of where brake pedal engages to too high compared to the gas pedal. In order for me to kick the gas I have to have the brake fully engaged, which is often too much brake for the corner. If there was an adjustment to just move the brake pedal closer to the floor, I'd be happy with how the brakes operate, or if I had more modulation I would have the same effect. I actually think the stock brakes bite too hard, too early for me. It seems like all the braking is done right when you touch the pedal, then the harder you press, there really is not much more stopping power left.
Platform shoes?

Seriously though, speaking of the brake pedal being too high compared to the gas pedal, you should try a Lotus - the height difference is even worse (which is what made me think of platform shoes).

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
      04-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
LiM3y
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Platform shoes?
On the left: The latest boots and driving suit from OMP might do the trick...these boots are particularly appropriate for "money" shifts...

04-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #18
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I can't think of (not saying it doesn't happen) when I'm downshifting and I'm not on the brakes relatively hard. If you are brushing the brakes or using a light application, I don't think you'll slow the car enough to warrant a gear change.

I just used PF01s at the track this weekend and the modulation is about the same as stock pads...maybe a little less initial bite. But its also just like stock in that the brake feels artifically boosted at first and as you don't get a lot more pressure as you further bury the brake pedal in the carpet.

Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
      04-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #19
OC3
Havin' a blast!

Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
On the left: The latest boots and driving suit from OMP might do the trick...these boots are particularly appropriate for "money" shifts...

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
      04-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant

Quote:

lol thats a riot!

I didnt think about adding an extension to the gas pedal causing it to be higher. Thats actually a good idea.
      04-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
Car54
Captain

Drives: 1999 Z3 Mcoupe | 2008 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspita View Post
I think It is kind of the same problem I was running into. My previous car didn't have the throttle pegged at the base, it was a floating peddle much like the brake in our cars. I find it a whole lot easier doing heal toe with my heal in the brake and my toes on the throttle....I find it significantly easier for me to bring the revs up.
I just caught this....really? Brake with the heel? That sure is asking you're leg (big muscle) to do a real delicate task. You should maybe reconsider this just in case you drive a car with a tendency to lockup. Just saying.

Craig Brickner
BM
W CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor
Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
      04-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
LateBraking
Brigadier General

Hey, he says he does it a-okay with his Porsche, so if it works it works, right?

OP, try PMing vendor wwjd15, he's tried a vast array of pads from when I've talked to him. He seems to favor Endless pads, but he's tried other pads as well, like Ferodo, Hawk, etc.