BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 3,918
iTrader: (1)

Why no propane passenger cars in USA ?

Anyone know this topic ?
Kolyan2k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: I Can not say
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: you must not know

Posts: 1,938
iTrader: (0)

You can make it happen, but it is a costly and not direct from the factory.

I have actually been pondering a CNG pickup truck, (you can order a Ford Super Duty prepared for a CNG kit, there is plenty more to do) I have heard that Chevy is going to release a CNG Silverado from the factory (I suppose to could be dealer installed) in a year or so.

I suspect there have been packaging concerns, and probably OE insurance issues with the CNG tank in the car...there may even be service life issues with the tanks.

Home/work filling stations are about $5000 for a good one and you will be paying between $1.15 and $2.00 per gallon.
MisterSkiMask is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 3,918
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
You can make it happen, but it is a costly and not direct from the factory.

I have actually been pondering a CNG pickup truck, (you can order a Ford Super Duty prepared for a CNG kit, there is plenty more to do) I have heard that Chevy is going to release a CNG Silverado from the factory (I suppose to could be dealer installed) in a year or so.

I suspect there have been packaging concerns, and probably OE insurance issues with the CNG tank in the car...there may even be service life issues with the tanks.

Home/work filling stations are about $5000 for a good one and you will be paying between $1.15 and $2.00 per gallon.
yeah i read about CNG, but I though LPG is cheaper and better. conversions in Europe cost very cheap too

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 04-03-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Kolyan2k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: I Can not say
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: you must not know

Posts: 1,938
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
yeah i read about CNG, but I though LPG is cheaper and better. conversions in Europe cost very cheap too
From the research I have done, CNG is cheaper (particularly if you are filling at home) it is domestically produced and abundant. Propane is more expensive, but there are more filling stations available.

Much of the cost in a conversion is the tank (probably mostly paying for the tank mfg insurance) from what I understand.

I would want a dual fuel so you can just run gasoline if you can't find a place to refill.
MisterSkiMask is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
blender
Custom User Title
 
blender's Avatar
 
Drives: black
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: n

Posts: 663
iTrader: (0)

Honda sells a CNG powered civic; seen a few here in LA.
blender is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
txz4
Major
 
txz4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 M coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: san antonio, texas

Posts: 1,098
iTrader: (3)

i may be off base, but im pretty sure there are many propane injected (i think) diesel trucks in Texas.
txz4 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: I Can not say
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: you must not know

Posts: 1,938
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
i may be off base, but im pretty sure there are many propane injected (i think) diesel trucks in Texas.
propane injection for a diesel is like nos in a gas engine, very different from a propane or cng powered vehicle
MisterSkiMask is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
NorthernDancer
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 325iX & 128
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa On Canada

Posts: 399
iTrader: (2)

from my old memory

we had many propane vehicles in the 80's and 90's [maybe earlier] but they never really caught on. Sometimes difficult to start in very cold weather, needed new and expensive tanks after 10 years which rendered car obsolete after 10 years, best in taxi service vice domestic use and vehicles so equipped could never be parked in underground garages.
NorthernDancer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
az34
Major
 
az34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montréal

Posts: 1,015
iTrader: (0)

no propane engines? cuz nobody,s care.
az34 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 3,918
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
no propane engines? cuz nobody,s care.
engines are all the same propane or gasoline
Kolyan2k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST