BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
E92 Lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-09-2007, 07:25 AM   #89
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
 
Phoenix 21st's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London

Posts: 325
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Quick translation:

...A car like the M3 has been tested on a place where many customers are also planning to drive it: the legendary Nürburgring. Tests on the Nürburgring have been completed successfully. "The time we needed to drive [a lap] was definitely under 8:10 minutes", says Richter smiling...
following is first drive report which is quite encouraging (the steering's very precise)

Best regards, south
thanks for that. All sounds good where are the haters now.
Phoenix 21st is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #90
RussianM3_dude
Private First Class
 
Drives: B7 Audi RS4
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 172
iTrader: (0)

Erm, like a BMW test driver will criticise anything... You might as well ask a BMW dealer if he would reccomend that you buy a car from him.
RussianM3_dude is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 08:22 AM   #91
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianM3_dude View Post
Erm, like a BMW test driver will criticise anything... You might as well ask a BMW dealer if he would reccomend that you buy a car from him.
If you are referring to the steering comment, okay, but it would be a stupid thing to lie about a lap time, which can be reproduced.
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 08:28 AM   #92
Epacy
Reincarnated
 
Epacy's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

Posts: 4,227
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
If you are referring to the steering comment, okay, but it would be a stupid thing to lie about a lap time, which can be reproduced.
It's ok. The russian guy just hates in every post he makes. Whether it is sensible or not. Just let him run on.
__________________
Epacy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #93
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

My guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianM3_dude View Post
Erm, like a BMW test driver will criticise anything... You might as well ask a BMW dealer if he would reccomend that you buy a car from him.
OK neither you nor I are probably in any position to know the personal dynamics between BMW M engineers and M test drivers. However, my strong suspicion is that if the engineers handed a crap steering prototype to the test drivers they would have absolutely no reservation about simply saying, "this is crap". Christ, that is their job! Quite a poor analogy you've made and very likely factually incorrect.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 08:53 AM   #94
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
OK neither you nor I are probably in any position to know the personal dynamics between BMW M engineers and M test drivers. However, my strong suspicion is that if the engineers handed a crap steering prototype to the test drivers they would have absolutely no reservation about simply saying, "this is crap". Christ, that is their job! Quite a poor analogy you've made and very likely factually incorrect.
Maybe he meant that the driver might say one thing to do press and another to the engineers to be politically correct. Regardless, if steering was indeed poor, I would think that the driver would play it safe and simply keep his mouth shut in front of the press or around outsiders since delivering bad news publicly is not his job.
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 08:54 AM   #95
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

Another guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Quick translation:

...A car like the M3 has been tested on a place where many customers are also planning to drive it: the legendary Nürburgring. Tests on the Nürburgring have been completed successfully. "The time we needed to drive [a lap] was definitely under 8:10 minutes", says Richter smiling...
following is first drive report which is quite encouraging (the steering's very precise)

Best regards, south
Good news. Sounds to me like "definitely" means "substantially", which IMO means in the 8:05 neighborhood. Also just sounds like the time may still be still being improved upon so the door simply needs to be left open for any improvements. Just my 2 cents.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 09:22 AM   #96
RussianM3_dude
Private First Class
 
Drives: B7 Audi RS4
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 172
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Maybe he meant that the driver might say one thing to do press and another to the engineers to be politically correct. Regardless, if steering was indeed poor, I would think that the driver would play it safe and simply keep his mouth shut in front of the press or around outsiders since delivering bad news publicly is not his job.
Exactly. The test driver will never critisize the car he is testing publically.
RussianM3_dude is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #97
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianM3_dude View Post
Exactly. The test driver will never critisize the car he is testing publically.
BMW test drivers don't do publicity AFAIK. They only work directly and discreetly behind the scenes with internal BMW folks. It is very far from their job, expertise or role to be any the public light at all.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 09:27 AM   #98
RussianM3_dude
Private First Class
 
Drives: B7 Audi RS4
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 172
iTrader: (0)

So who was this guy who claimed sub 8.10 time then?
RussianM3_dude is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 09:30 AM   #99
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianM3_dude View Post
Exactly. The test driver will never critisize the car he is testing publically.
But what I'm saying is that the guy would remain silent in public if the steering is poor, and might leak a few words out if it is good. It sounds like the latter has happened. Actually, we don't even really know if any of this happened, but still...
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #100
ILC32
Lieutenant
 
ILC32's Avatar
 
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere

Posts: 580
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianM3_dude View Post
So who was this guy who claimed sub 8.10 time then?
The head of BMW M. Come on man, I thought you of all people were all over the magazine info. You thought he was a test driver??
ILC32 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #101
RussianM3_dude
Private First Class
 
Drives: B7 Audi RS4
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 172
iTrader: (0)

Well, then obviosuly he won't say anything bad.
RussianM3_dude is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #102
ILC32
Lieutenant
 
ILC32's Avatar
 
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere

Posts: 580
iTrader: (0)

[quote=RussianM3_dude;1156563]Well, then obviosuly he won't say anything bad.[/QUOTE

Don't worry, your role is safe.
ILC32 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #103
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianM3_dude View Post
So who was this guy who claimed sub 8.10 time then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
The head of BMW M. Come on man, I thought you of all people were all over the magazine info. You thought he was a test driver??
OK that made my night (here in Australia)
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #104
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
 
Phoenix 21st's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London

Posts: 325
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Good news. Sounds to me like "definitely" means "substantially", which IMO means in the 8:05 neighborhood. Also just sounds like the time may still be still being improved upon so the door simply needs to be left open for any improvements. Just my 2 cents.
8.05 was my guess from a while back and stand by it. Either way this region is significantly better than rs4 etc. although c63 is a threat.

IMO, if the c63 is quicker than M3, i'm not going to be upset. The ability to drive well counts for more than a few tenths other than in a straight line. Also with the m-dct we are likely to see quicker times at Nordschliefe etc. 7.55?

Also with 6.3l imagine what M could have done with it.
Phoenix 21st is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #105
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianM3_dude View Post
Well, then obviosuly he won't say anything bad.
Nor will he lie about the lap time...
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #106
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix 21st View Post
8.05 was my guess from a while back and stand by it. Either way this region is significantly better than rs4 etc. although c63 is a threat.

IMO, if the c63 is quicker than M3, i'm not going to be upset. The ability to drive well counts for more than a few tenths other than in a straight line. Also with the m-dct we are likely to see quicker times at Nordschliefe etc. 7.55?

Also with 6.3l imagine what M could have done with it.
Not much better probably; it would be really nose heavy...

I doubt the c63 can beat the M3 with all the extra weight and auto transmission, but we'll see...
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 10:48 AM   #107
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Good news. Sounds to me like "definitely" means "substantially", which IMO means in the 8:05 neighborhood. Also just sounds like the time may still be still being improved upon so the door simply needs to be left open for any improvements. Just my 2 cents.
I have bet the M3 can crack 8 minutes.....
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #108
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

I did too, initially

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I have bet the M3 can crack 8 minutes.....
And it still seems possible, but with the small progression in the rumor numbers, 8:12, now better than 8:10, cracking 8:00 is seeming less likely. It also seems 100% now that it could crack 8:00 with nothing more than r compound tires. We'll see, let's keep our fingers crossed.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 12:47 PM   #109
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: '02 E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Sandbox

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

Man....the haters are really reaching. Kinda funny watching them squirm.
M3onTwomps is offline   Iraq
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #110
RussianM3_dude
Private First Class
 
Drives: B7 Audi RS4
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 172
iTrader: (0)

Nobody doubts the M3 is fast, some of us are just concerned it has gone soft. Efficient but boring.
RussianM3_dude is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST