BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #23
ChrisAW
Rear Admiral
 
ChrisAW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 911 Turbo
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis

Posts: 300
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrs77 View Post
Good thing its a lease there will be many more over revs when i return it.. POS
Child.

Enjoy your auto benz.
__________________
--Chris
--2007 911 Turbo
ChrisAW is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
 
JohnnyRoaster's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Outside Beantown

Posts: 942
iTrader: (0)

I wonder if the OP had an aftermarket exhaust. Most of these we have seen have been 6MT with an after market exhaust, no?

It sucks the dealership stepped up to the plate and the OP is still jumping ship.
__________________
JohnnyRoaster is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what are 'over revs'.
What kind of question is that for a "serious driver"?
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #26
Nine
Banned
 
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DC, Miami, NYC

Posts: 1,925
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
What kind of question is that for a "serious driver"?


I would argue, if the car allows it, it is within the terms of the warranty. "Over rev', sounds like a rev limiter malfunction
Nine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #27
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post


I would argue, if the car allows it, it is within the terms of the warranty. "Over rev', sounds like a rev limiter malfunction
Honestly I just dont see how people over-rev..unless you pull a ridculous money shift..its not at all likely to happen.

Stand on the throttle all day long and the needle will just bounce off the rev limiter..so i would like to know what people mean as well when they say "over-rev"
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #28
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,791
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
I wonder if the OP had an aftermarket exhaust. Most of these we have seen have been 6MT with an after market exhaust, no?

It sucks the dealership stepped up to the plate and the OP is still jumping ship.
Not related to exhaust hangers - they do not support the diff. Several threads on this and some good diagrams too! : )
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #29
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,791
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Honestly I just dont see how people over-rev..unless you pull a ridculous money shift..its not at all likely to happen.

Stand on the throttle all day long and the needle will just bounce off the rev limiter..so i would like to know what people mean as well when they say "over-rev"
Floor it to redline in 4th, go to shift to 5th, go into 3rd by mistake...

BOOM - hello overrev.

One of the main reasons I got a SSK actually - I felt like there was a chance I might do this because the shifter was/is a little loose/sloppy from the factory.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #30
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Floor it to redline in 4th, go to shift to 5th, go into 3rd by mistake...

BOOM - hello overrev.

One of the main reasons I got a SSK actually - I felt like there was a chance I might do this because the shifter was/is a little loose/sloppy from the factory.
Like I said a major money shift..still dont know how this would happen..I have never even come close..and I drive the thing like I stole it
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #31
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,791
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Like I said a major money shift..still dont know how this would happen..I have never even come close..and I drive the thing like I stole it
A lot of people can pay the bills, but don't have the skills ; )

BOOM MONEYSHIFT!
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #32
Nine
Banned
 
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DC, Miami, NYC

Posts: 1,925
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thread killer View Post
i.e. over revving the engine mechanically---- downshifting and pushing it past electronic rev limit.
Is this possible with DCT?
Nine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #33
e92involved
Captain
 
e92involved's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 646
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrs77 View Post
just want to praise PACE BMW IN port chester ny for helping me with this situation and standing by a customer. PACE BMW picked up the balance of the repair tab. Got the car back now think ill trade it in for a E 63 AMG...
That is funny. You dont know how to drive, break the car in 5k miles, dealer is nice enough to pay your part of the bill, and you want to buy the competitors car. LOL what are you gonna do? Get mad at all the manufactures when you bust their cars? Guess what buddy, anything mechanical will and does fail. This is YOUR fault lol, take responsiblity. Not to mention I would love too know how many times it was over revved in the earlier mileage when you were, "getting used to the car."
__________________
e92involved is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #34
ChrisAW
Rear Admiral
 
ChrisAW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 911 Turbo
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis

Posts: 300
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92involved View Post
That is funny. You dont know how to drive, break the car in 5k miles, dealer is nice enough to pay your part of the bill, and you want to buy the competitors car. LOL what are you gonna do? Get mad at all the manufactures when you bust their cars? Guess what buddy, anything mechanical will and does fail. This is YOUR fault lol, take responsiblity. Not to mention I would love too know how many times it was over revved in the earlier mileage when you were, "getting used to the car."
+1

It sounds like we are better off without this guy in a M3.
__________________
--Chris
--2007 911 Turbo
ChrisAW is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #35
positiveions
Lieutenant General
 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

Posts: 10,409
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Over revving can also mean when a person is in a gear, let's say in 5 gear at 5k rpm, and he decides to downshift, and by mistake, he throws it into 2nd gear. Yes, you can imagine that will eventually cause some
serious damage. There is no revv limiter when you down shift.
During the E36 M3 era, many stupid drivers performed such miracle task and blamed BMW for their stupidity.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #36
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
Over revving can also mean when a person is in a gear, let's say in 5 gear at 5k rpm, and he decides to downshift, and by mistake, he throws it into 2nd gear. Yes, you can imagine that will eventually cause some
serious damage. There is no revv limiter when you down shift.
During the E36 M3 era, many stupid drivers performed such miracle task and blamed BMW for their stupidity.
Yep..money shift... FTL!!
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #37
macakacheck
Private First Class
 
macakacheck's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' E93 M3/14' F12 650i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Irvine

Posts: 168
iTrader: (3)

I am totally agree to NOT buying a prior lease car! Coz the E93 I have right now is also leased and I did NOT treat it very well! haha
__________________
MacakaCheck
macakacheck is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #38
ChrisAW
Rear Admiral
 
ChrisAW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 911 Turbo
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis

Posts: 300
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macakacheck View Post
I am totally agree to NOT buying a prior lease car! Coz the E93 I have right now is also leased and I did NOT treat it very well! haha
Way to go for being a crappy car owner?
__________________
--Chris
--2007 911 Turbo
ChrisAW is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #39
MPowerrF10
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 323
iTrader: (2)

Well I can tell you one thing from this post. I am most certainly not going to pull the trigger on buying a CPO E92 and will lease a brand new one that isn't abused lol
MPowerrF10 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #40
macakacheck
Private First Class
 
macakacheck's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' E93 M3/14' F12 650i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Irvine

Posts: 168
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAW View Post
Way to go for being a crappy car owner?
LOL Nope!!! Being a crappy car owner is just NOT what I am.
My point is, since I know it's leased, I didn't really care that much in some small details than the car I actually own!
I believe some people with the leased car do the same...maybe?
That's just my opinion in leasing cars!
I still love my E93 M3 as my dd, really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerrE92 View Post
Well I can tell you one thing from this post. I am most certainly not going to pull the trigger on buying a CPO E92 and will lease a brand new one that isn't abused lol
+1
I rather keep leasing different new cars!
Coz you will never know how previous driver treated to that car and the CPO price are always higher!
__________________
MacakaCheck
macakacheck is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      05-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #41
kokovovoru
New Member
 
Drives: X5 50i(sold) and looking...
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Socal

Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrs77 View Post
Good thing its a lease there will be many more over revs when i return it.. POS
Thank you for the cautionary tale. Recently sold my new X5 50i and looking for an M3. Now I'll be looking for only new ones. BMW better not piss off their lease customers.
kokovovoru is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #42
DJDeez
Got my license back!
 
DJDeez's Avatar
 
Drives: TransLink
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Surrey, BC

Posts: 200
iTrader: (1)

Some real classy individuals in this thread Take it for what it's worth, my CPO is a former lease vehicle and I couldn't be happier.
__________________
aFe cold air intake system (stage 2) ▫ Agency Power cat delete/section 2 midpipes ▫ Agency Power exhaust system ▫ Beltronics STiR Plus ▫ BMW M style (ZHP) weighted short shift knob ▫ CIC iDrive ▫ Clutch pedal spring removal ▫ Coding ▫ Evolve-R tune ▫ Laser Interceptor ▫ LUX H8 V3 Angel Eyes ▫ pickyeater334 clutch stop ▫ Rear fog lights (2011 light control switch assembly) ▫ T3 Alpha laser gun protection ▫ Turner Motorsport power pulley kit
DJDeez is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #43
ChrisDUS
Private
 
Drives: 2008 M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Düsseldorf, Germany

Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

My 08 E90 is also a former lease vehicle and so far everything is fine.

You can't over-rev a DCT as the electronics will not let you shift down as long as the resulting revs in the lower gear will be over the rev limit.

It's easy to over-rev a manual car either by downshifting into 2nd instead of 4th for example. Messing up the upshift into 5th and accidently shifting into 3rd is also possible. But anyway, the foot is still on the clutch, so it should only happen to a certain group of drivers who lack understanding and feeling for what is going on with the vehicle.

There is a rev limiter for the downshift as well but since the engine will be driven by the rear wheels it won't help. What the limiter does is to cut fuel-air-mixture supply when reaching the rev limit. That only prevents over-reving under acceleration but not for the downshifts/misshifts.
ChrisDUS is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #44
roastbeef
Captain
 
roastbeef's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 699
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrs77 View Post
Innocent until proven guilty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
I think it's unconstitutional personally.
where the hell do you guys pull this crap from? its a car warranty, not civil rights.
please do let me know where in the constitution it covers vehicle engine diagnostics software recording abuse.


i'm glad bmw does this, because by eliminating false warranty claims (like the original post) bmw can offer a reasonably priced car with a great warranty.
__________________
roastbeef is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST