BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Lux Angel Eyes

03-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 335i cpe

How do you guys handle the "don't park your car here"

Just curious if you take kindly to someone telling you that you can't park in front of their house on a public street.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Just curious if you take kindly to someone telling you that you can't park in front of their house on a public street.
There's the problem there. I hate when people think they own the spot in front of their house.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Ok, I'll admit one of our problems is we have 3 cars, and don't have a 3 car garage.....but I already had a confrontation with a guy on one corner--he has a 911, an A6, a 330i, a Suburban, a Corvette, and said don't park your car here. Now the hilbillies (renters?) left a note not to park in front of their rented house.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
san~man
Tired
Rep

Drives: BMW-less

Depends on how nice you want to keep your car. Is it really worth it, as you may win the battle but lose the war...
      03-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

But we all want to play Gran Torino. When the guy with the 911 told me not to park in front of his house, I threw it in reverse and parallel parked right into his s***. And when my buddy came to visit me from the city he parked in front of his hose 7 days (he's tough and told me I don't give a **** what this guy you're telling me about thinks).

But I hear you, it's not like we want trouble, we have to pick our battles...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
SaMaster14
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 BMW E92 335iS

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [3.95]
Send a message via AIM to SaMaster14 Send a message via Skype™ to SaMaster14
This has never happened to me. I probably would want to park it there and 'fight for my right,' but I would be afraid of the person coming out and keying my car or slashing tires (even though I have run flats ) etc... I've heard horror stories.

http://instagram.com/samaster14/
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Mcoupe

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
There's the problem there. I hate when people think they own the spot in front of their house.
I live in a subdivision, and if you park in front of my house instead of yours, you will wake up without valve stems every time.

Luckily people in my neighborhood aren't retarded.
      03-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
1speedbike
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

My girlfriend's next door neighbor is a cop who complains about everyone and everything. He has something to say about EVERY SINGLE person in their neighborhood. His mother complained that my car was too loud and he tried to tell me I can't park in front of his house and I drive too fast on his street (my exhaust makes me "seem" like I'm driving faster than I really am to the automotively disinclined). I told him the exhaust is decibel tested to be street legal, and the street is public so he can fuck off. He tried to scare me with the usual cop tactics..

The only problem is, the other next door neighbor, as well as the neighbor in the house diagonally across the street, are also cops. One of them is a gearhead with a Dodge Viper and his son has an STI, and the other has the same breed of dog as me and we bond over that.. bottom line is that they all like me. Not to mention.. my girlfriend's brother and both uncles are cops. My girlfriend's dad told the asshole neighbor off, and said if he has a problem with his daughter's boyfriend then he has a problem with him, and the rest of the family and neighbors pretty much made sure that everyone in his town's department hated his guts and he was pretty much shunned and passed over for promotion (probably not only due to this, I can imagine his hateful ways were noticed by his fellows long before this). Now he's trying to sell his house and move a few towns away. Feels good man.

Knowing so many nice officers just makes me all the more disdainful when the fuzz is corrupt/abusive/hateful. The good ones are there to make life better and safer for their family and friends. The bad ones do it to have power over people.

EDIT: Just thought of another example, this one is much friendlier. My grandmother is in a nursing home and can't walk very far (she is 92). The parking lot tends to fill up on weekends so I park on the street. One house next to the home had started leaving garbage cans out in front so that people stop parking in front of the house. I always park there because when the lot is too full, my grandma can't make it all the way to the car. I simply park right up against the garbage cans, or even move them if nobody's around. One time I caught one of the people living there and explained my situation. He has that he only does it because people park too close and get on his lawn and ruin it with their tires (no curb on that side of the street for some reason). When I explained my side, he said no problem, just move the cans if they're there. He said my car looks nice enough that he'd worry more about it than his lawn. Turned out nice once I explained why that spot was needed

Overall, if it's a public road, they can't do shit about where you park. As long as you follow your town's laws (mine has no parking on any public street between 2 am and 5 am for example, so basically no overnight parking), then you're fine. If they threaten to call the cops, call their bluff. Their taxes paid for as much of the road as yours did.

Year 1 of the 1

Last edited by 1speedbike; 03-26-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
justinnum1
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 335i Msport

If they are on your property and you warned them, get the car towed, that should send a message
      03-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Drives: mk6 GTI

Public streets are just that, public, you can't have someone towed. I've never had someone tell me to move my car but I can imagine I wouldn't take kindly too it. I live near a campus and people park in front of my house all day long, I can't even imagine getting irritated at someone over something so small.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
wrickem
doesn't really care
Rep

Drives: what he wants to

This thread reminds me of why I will never own a house without my own driveway again. I feel bad for all of you guys because it's never harmonious or happy fighting for a spot.
      03-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
mike the snake
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 135i

General courtesy should prevail.

In front of my house, which I own, there's shade trees, which I park under, every day in the summer and hot days. Neighbors have workers, landscapers and such come over, and they take my spot, no big deal. It's America, it's a public street, but, in essence, that is still My spot.

I only had an issue when one neighbor decided to park their car in my spot, and leave it there for over 2 weeks. They had plenty of space in front of their own house, and I got tired of looking at their car parked right in front of my house, where I usually park my own car.

No one owns the public spaces in front of their house, but I can see instances where someone could have issues if you just parked wherever you wanted to, without observing general courtesy.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

I'm that dick neighbor. I keep tack of the cars parked up and down the street. Once 72 hours pass, I let the local fuzz know and they come take care of it. Otherwise, it's a PUBLIC street.

I'm currently in a picture war with a local guy who has repeatedly told me he has permission from the local sheriff to REPAIR other peoples' cars in the street. Funny, when I call the sheriff while he and his partner tow company are unloading cars, they scatter like the roaches they are. Deputies came out, took a report, and gave me a code word for dispatch to let them know so they can come out quick and catch them.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I'm that dick neighbor. I keep tack of the cars parked up and down the street. Once 72 hours pass, I let the local fuzz know and they come take care of it. Otherwise, it's a PUBLIC street.

I'm currently in a picture war with a local guy who has repeatedly told me he has permission from the local sheriff to REPAIR other peoples' cars in the street. Funny, when I call the sheriff while he and his partner tow company are unloading cars, they scatter like the roaches they are. Deputies came out, took a report, and gave me a code word for dispatch to let them know so they can come out quick and catch them.
To me that's totally reasonable, it's not a parking lot or vehicle storage.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

^ Could you phone my wife and explain it to her, please? Somehow, just because times are tough and he's making a few extra $$ (that he's taking out of the pockets of legitimate repair facilities) I should just turn an eye and let my property value drop even more.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

LOL this thread shows that everyone thinks differently. I think it comes down to this, seriously--many people in society feel that as long as they maintain a toughness, they will get their way. When people stand up, that's when it's uncertain what will happen next. And that's where it's good to have laws. I just saw a guy with a Lexus park where I did and walk to his house. LOL I think thouse d*****bags are renters, and I suppose we owners have too many cars for their liking, that they all don't fit in our driveways and garages. Such is life. Growing up my parents had the typical 2800 sq. ft. 4-bed, but houses were on a full acre. You put 5 houses on that same acre, and people start to get too close....it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #17
M3anS65
Private
Rep

Drives: 2007 pre production AW/FR m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

This dude thinks hes so important lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #18
roastbeef
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

i live with two other people and for some reason or another one of them parked their big truck in front of the neighbor's house. my neighbor asked me nicely to ask him not to park his truck there. since i have plenty of room in front of my house, i agreed that there was no reason for it, and advised my room mates that they were to either park in the driveway (two car, one side is for me) and one in front of the street. the garage is for my truck.

no biggie.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I live in a subdivision, and if you park in front of my house instead of yours, you will wake up without valve stems every time.

Luckily people in my neighborhood aren't retarded.
That's not cool. The street is public, not private property. It's one thing if the same car(s) is always parking in front of your house, but what about the occasional car? I'm sure neighbors will have friends and family over at times, and there may not always be enough space in front of their house or driveway.
      03-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #20
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Mcoupe

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
That's not cool. The street is public, not private property. It's one thing if the same car(s) is always parking in front of your house, but what about the occasional car? I'm sure neighbors will have friends and family over at times, and there may not always be enough space in front of their house or driveway.
What part of "in front of my house instead of yours" wasn't clear?

What is it these days with people completely unable to read into a sentence.
      03-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #21
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
What part of "in front of my house instead of yours" wasn't clear?

What is it these days with people completely unable to read into a sentence.
Your comment was perfectly clear, but you obviously didn't understand mine. You apparently pull peoples' valve stems just because they park on the street in front of your house. The thing is, people have every right to part on the street in front of your house because it is public property, not your own. Maybe the space is designated as part of your property, but you didn't mention that. If that's the case, it's a different story altogether.

The scenario I was talking about is if a neighbor has friends over and they don't have enough parking in front of their house to accommodate them. Said friends would then park on the public street in front of other houses. It's perfectly legal for them to do so, yet you still pull their valve stems because they are in your perceived space. I can understand the frustration if the same car kept parking there days on end, or a car was blocking the driveway, but that is also a different situation.
      03-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #22
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [5.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
I believe there is a way to request the curb in front of your house to be painted red so that nobody parks there.....might be worth it if you have your own driveway.
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0