BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

07-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
deeztek
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan

2008 M3 - DSC malfunction

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help with a problem I'm having with my M3. The other day it started throwing a DSC malfunction error as soon as I started the car and sometimes after I drove the car after a few minutes. I'm attaching pics of the iDrive screen and the dash. When it throws the error, the tachometer changes and it shows the redline at 4000 rpm and the car has crappy acceleration and acts like a dog generally speaking. I hooked up an OBD sensor to the car (BMW icarly sensor) and I read the following fault code using the Torque Pro APP from the Google Play store: P0639 - Throttle Actuator Control Range/Performance Bank 2.

So, is it a good bet that the TA needs to be replaced? From what I'm reading here they go for about $800. Is it difficult to replace or should I have the dealer do this?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
EJT86
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT

Do it yourself...I changed that same bank myself it takes about 5 hrs for first timers. Just make sure you've got multiple torx bits especially T27 for the actuator screws and ratchet extensions at least 8 or 9" total. Here's a great DIY that everyone uses. I've done it recently so it's still fresh in my mind feel free to PM me if you have problems

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735033
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
dparm
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

From what I've seen on the "how-to" threads around here, it's not terribly difficult if you have experience wrenching on cars.

If you clear the code, does it come back right away?
      07-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
deeztek
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
From what I've seen on the "how-to" threads around here, it's not terribly difficult if you have experience wrenching on cars.

If you clear the code, does it come back right away?
I haven't tried to clear the code. I didn't know if that would be a good idea or not. If it's not gong to hurt anything i can certainly do that and post back.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
deeztek
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
Do it yourself...I changed that same bank myself it takes about 5 hrs for first timers. Just make sure you've got multiple torx bits especially T27 for the actuator screws and ratchet extensions at least 8 or 9" total. Here's a great DIY that everyone uses. I've done it recently so it's still fresh in my mind feel free to PM me if you have problems

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735033
the one potential issue I see with that DIY is the fact that he's referring to another DIY to remove the intake plenum but there is no link.

I appreciate offering assistance. I've worked on cars before I'm just not sure if I should do it. Also, another thing, not sure if this is related or not, before these messages started, I got another error that the battery discharged while the car was stationery and it cleared the time and date in the car. This hapenned twice. Then a few weeks later the DSC messages started. I'm thinking these are separate issues. The DSC messages being the TA and the battery discharging just being the battery needing to be replaced?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 11:23 PM   #6
EJT86
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeztek View Post
the one potential issue I see with that DIY is the fact that he's referring to another DIY to remove the intake plenum but there is no link.

I appreciate offering assistance. I've worked on cars before I'm just not sure if I should do it. Also, another thing, not sure if this is related or not, before these messages started, I got another error that the battery discharged while the car was stationery and it cleared the time and date in the car. This hapenned twice. Then a few weeks later the DSC messages started. I'm thinking these are separate issues. The DSC messages being the TA and the battery discharging just being the battery needing to be replaced?

Thanks
The plenum is only on by 8 hose clamps that you only need to loosen...and unplug three hoses from the plenum itself. It's up to you but the dealer is going to charge you 6-7 hours labor
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
deeztek
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
The plenum is only on by 8 hose clamps that you only need to loosen...and unplug three hoses from the plenum itself. It's up to you but the dealer is going to charge you 6-7 hours labor
Someone suggested to try cleaning the electrical connection to the throttle actuator. He said the electrical connection is located on the intake plenum. Does that sound right?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
dparm
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Quote:
Someone suggested to try cleaning the electrical connection to the throttle actuator. He said the electrical connection is located on the intake plenum. Does that sound right?

Wouldn't hurt to check for obvious damage or grime. Electrical cleaner is available at any auto parts store for a few bucks a can. Also works well on O2 sensors and other stuff.
      07-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
EJT86
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm not 100% but from what I saw the connection was under the plenum with the wire harness. The actual connector was a female connector so the leads weren't exposed. It's true it doesn't hurt to check but in order to unplug the connector and look at it your have most of the labor done if you were going to replace it
Appreciate 0