BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
Stick to Clutch
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
kpcoupe
Captain
 
kpcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Illinois

Posts: 778
iTrader: (0)

Disappointed in Mercedes

This may be the wrong forum to put this in seeingas this is for BMW, but I think its a fiar question. What happened to Mercedes? I have a 1999 MB C230, which I believe is was the last year that Mercedes was a 100% Mercedes. For example having one wiper was simply Benz, I thought it was very cool, but the newer models don't have it. It's like BMW's kidney grill, w/o it its not BMW. When I was looking at the new C Class I was kind of disappointed, but will probably buy it anyway. Still, does anyone agree?
__________________
kpcoupe is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
stefman
.::fel8me::.
 
stefman's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Black Sapphire Coral Red
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Singapore

Posts: 453
iTrader: (0)

Not crazy about MB, that's why I buy BMW
__________________
E92 335i ordered April 28, 2007.....delivered 24 January 2008

Worth the wait
stefman is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
 
LEDZEP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

Posts: 12,277
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It's a Chrysler.
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
LEDZEP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
KL2DC
Moderator
 
KL2DC's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DC Metro

Posts: 17,748
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to KL2DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
It's a Chrysler.
+1 Gone are the days of the bulletproof W124s and W140s and the like....
__________________

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
KL2DC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
SCA
Brigadier General
 
SCA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TN

Posts: 3,018
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
It's a Chrysler.
Well, it was. Sure...the current productline still is.
__________________
SCA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #6
kpcoupe
Captain
 
kpcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Illinois

Posts: 778
iTrader: (0)

Weren't they selling Chrysler to Kirk Kerkorian or something?
__________________
kpcoupe is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
 
HyperM3's Avatar
 
Drives: See Sig
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ

Posts: 6,168
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to HyperM3 Send a message via Yahoo to HyperM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcoupe View Post
Weren't they selling Chrysler to Kirk Kerkorian or something?
It was sold to Cerberus couple weeks ago.
__________________
13 HD FatBob
14 Audi S6
Audi Brand Specialist @ Princeton Audi
HyperM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
DasBlitz
Major
 
DasBlitz's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw 328i 07
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: new england

Posts: 1,140
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to DasBlitz
What happened to car makers in general? Change, it happens to everyone and sadly it has been a decline for all car makers. Even BMW I assure you has seen a decline.
__________________
DasBlitz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
 
Kev's Avatar
 
Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 8,815
iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Ever heard about the complains of the one arm wiper design on the German Autobahn during rain? That's the reason why they removed the one arm wiper mechanism in favor of a two arm design.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
Kev is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #10
kpcoupe
Captain
 
kpcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Illinois

Posts: 778
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Ever heard about the complains of the one arm wiper design on the German Autobahn during rain? That's the reason why they removed the one arm wiper mechanism in favor of a two arm design.
do explain pls.
__________________
kpcoupe is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #11
Zeroday
Colonel
 
Drives: Plymouth Volare
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: your nerves

Posts: 2,351
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
What happened to car makers in general? Change, it happens to everyone and sadly it has been a decline for all car makers. Even BMW I assure you has seen a decline.
Here's something telling; Porsche hasn't been affected. In fact they were number one on JD Power's initial quality report. What's different about Porsche? Profit margins. They make much more money per car than BMW/Mercedes largely IMO because they don't have much real competition at their price points for what they offer. When you don't make much money on each car like BMW/Mercedes, you have to sell more cars to be profitable. To sell more cars, you have to be very competitive, which is when cost cutting comes in to play. Cost cutting almost always leads, at least at first, to quality issues.

IMHO of course...
Zeroday is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 09:17 AM   #12
Zeroday
Colonel
 
Drives: Plymouth Volare
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: your nerves

Posts: 2,351
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Ever heard about the complains of the one arm wiper design on the German Autobahn during rain? That's the reason why they removed the one arm wiper mechanism in favor of a two arm design.
Zeroday is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #13
DasBlitz
Major
 
DasBlitz's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw 328i 07
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: new england

Posts: 1,140
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to DasBlitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroday View Post
Here's something telling; Porsche hasn't been affected. In fact they were number one on JD Power's initial quality report. What's different about Porsche? Profit margins. They make much more money per car than BMW/Mercedes largely IMO because they don't have much real competition at their price points for what they offer. When you don't make much money on each car like BMW/Mercedes, you have to sell more cars to be profitable. To sell more cars, you have to be very competitive, which is when cost cutting comes in to play. Cost cutting almost always leads, at least at first, to quality issues.

IMHO of course...
I was speaking of more general public car makers. Although Porsche is known it does not sell as much as BMW and Mercedes. Granted it does not need to. But I see your point and is a sad truth.
__________________
DasBlitz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #14
KL2DC
Moderator
 
KL2DC's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DC Metro

Posts: 17,748
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to KL2DC
Porsche makes a ton of money from the options books. But they did lose a little bit of their legendary teuton going from the 993 to the 996. They also cheapened out by cross-sharing so much between the 986 and 996. But they have rebounded with the 997 and 987s. They did what they had to and quickly upped their game.
__________________

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
KL2DC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #15
KL2DC
Moderator
 
KL2DC's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DC Metro

Posts: 17,748
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to KL2DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
What happened to car makers in general? Change, it happens to everyone and sadly it has been a decline for all car makers. Even BMW I assure you has seen a decline.
In a rush to embrace all manners of technology while keeping price competitive, there has been noticeable cost cutting in most premium offerings. What's improving in leaps and bounds is the small car offerings though, never has the segment been filled with quality and competent cars. Even the Korean cars are practically world-class. You'd be hard pressed to buy a really bad car today.
__________________

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
KL2DC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #16
Lassaxi
Major
 
Lassaxi's Avatar
 
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,035
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Ever heard about the complains of the one arm wiper design on the German Autobahn during rain? That's the reason why they removed the one arm wiper mechanism in favor of a two arm design.
I was never particularly impressed with the one-arm design. It looked nifty, and covered a lot of the windshield, but it didn't keep up with heavy rain very well.
__________________
May 3, '07European Delivery, Redelivered on 6/11/07 - Monaco Blue/Beige, Steptronic, ZPP, ZCW, PDC, iDrive/Navi with RTTI, Logic 7, Xenons, HD Radio
Lassaxi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 10:16 AM   #17
e90fanatic
Absolute0
 
e90fanatic's Avatar
 
Drives: Has a Roundel
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TO/HK/NJ

Posts: 5,018
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to e90fanatic
MB = Chrysler in lingerie
__________________
To procede or not to procede......
e90fanatic is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #18
oneshare325
Brigadier General
 
oneshare325's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 4,174
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
It's a Chrysler.
Nice....
oneshare325 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #19
Markinsd
Private First Class
 
Markinsd's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Graphite 335i / C32 AMG
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego

Posts: 128
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
2002 C32 AMG  [0.00]
I have a C32 and was looking for a new Benz. MB did not have a car I wanted so I went with the 335i. I wanted to wait for the C63 AMG, but couldn't see waiting another year for a new car. The regular line of C Class is less than spectacular and since I have an AMG, I can't go back to the boooring non-amg.

I wouldn't go buy a C Class right now unless you are ordering a new w204 class coming out in the fall. I think the new body style looks pretty dope.

I went from an e46 330i to the C32, now the 335i and when my lease is up plan on getting a C63 if the car is 450+hp and looks as good as the pics I've seen. I may consider the new M sedan too..
Markinsd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 11:08 AM   #20
Bram335
Second Lieutenant
 
Bram335's Avatar
 
Drives: 335 AW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 294
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fanatic View Post
MB = Chrysler in lingerie
+1
Bram335 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #21
dmboone25
Major General
 
dmboone25's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i/DUC M1100 EVO
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 5,232
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroday View Post
Here's something telling; Porsche hasn't been affected. In fact they were number one on JD Power's initial quality report. What's different about Porsche? Profit margins. They make much more money per car than BMW/Mercedes largely IMO because they don't have much real competition at their price points for what they offer. When you don't make much money on each car like BMW/Mercedes, you have to sell more cars to be profitable. To sell more cars, you have to be very competitive, which is when cost cutting comes in to play. Cost cutting almost always leads, at least at first, to quality issues.

IMHO of course...
I agree--you see way more BMW/MB/Lexus type cars on the roads these days when compared to a few years ago. When my dad first got his '00 E46, you saw some BMW's in my area, but not many. Now, it seems like I see a lot of them--I just hope the higher quantity of sales doesn't sacrifice quality of the brand.
__________________
Current - 2014 F22 M235 - MT, CWP, Premium, Aluminum Hex/Black Gloss Trim.
Past BMWs: 2011 E82 135 - LBM, N55, DCT
2008 E82 135 - AW, N54, MT
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT, ZSP (traded in for 135)
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT (retired by a drunk driver)
dmboone25 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #22
aspiring335
Major
 
aspiring335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E91 6MT
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 1,442
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroday View Post
Here's something telling; Porsche hasn't been affected. In fact they were number one on JD Power's initial quality report. What's different about Porsche? Profit margins. They make much more money per car than BMW/Mercedes largely IMO because they don't have much real competition at their price points for what they offer. When you don't make much money on each car like BMW/Mercedes, you have to sell more cars to be profitable. To sell more cars, you have to be very competitive, which is when cost cutting comes in to play. Cost cutting almost always leads, at least at first, to quality issues.

IMHO of course...
I was under the impression that, after Porsche, BMW was the most profitable car maker. The margin per car may not be very large on the 3 series, but even there the options really pad the profit per vehicle. A lot of Porsche's profit in recent years has come from the Cayenne, much more so than the Boxster.

Unlike Mercedes, BMW have not diluted their brand with dozens of ridiculous niche models like the B Class, R Class, etc., and they also haven't had the distraction of trying to integrate the nightmare that is Chrysler. The most profitable companies are usually the ones with focus and discipline.
__________________
2010 E91 328i xdrive. 6MT, Sports, Premium Sound, Navigation

2010 VW Touareg TDI, 2006 E90 330i, 2004 E46 325iT, 2003 MINI Cooper S (Retired)
aspiring335 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST