BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

INDustry distribution

03-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Jbook
Major

Drives: '11 ESS E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
Just installed AA catless x-pipe...

and DAMN it smells!! Sounds amazing (really amazing), but I don't think I can handle the smell and I really don't think a nice car should smell like that. I had already purchased the HFC so they're already on the way. I wanted to do videos of just the AA rear section, rear + catless x-pipe, and rear + x-pipe w/ HFC so I will definitely get those videos done this weekend if I can last the week with the fumes.

I haven't got the CEL yet, but I have the Active tune already. I'm hoping that they will re-tune it when I eventually get the dreaded CEL.
ESS VT2-625 w/ DCT Software | Awron Gauge | 19" BBS FI | Ohlins R&T w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates | Alekshop Subframe Bushings | RD Sport Sway Bars F&R | Dinan Strut Braces & Pedals | Brembo GT 380 F&R w/ Endless Pads | Akrapovic GT4 | Vorsteiner GTS-V Lip | 3D Design Diffuser | Platte Forme CF Side Skirt Extensions | BMW Performance Seats, CF Spoiler, CF Mirror Covers & Steering Wheel
      03-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
Zzhou
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT

have AA catless paired with AA rear. Sounds amazing. And I already get use to the smell. Only can smell it when stop at light and back wind

AA Green Filter/AA Pulley/AA catless X-pipes/AA signature exhaust/AA TUNE/TMS studs/Project Kics R40/AD08/Vorsteiner GTS5 Bumper/LUX H8
      03-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

I have the AA catless also and hardly ever smell anything. I guess because I was used to my e46 supercharged and catless. That smelled

Evolve Stage 2, GTS-DCT Software, Akrapovic Exhaust, AA Catless X Pipe, AA Geen Air filter, AA Pulley, Stoptech BBK, KW V3 Coilovers
"If it feels like it's on rails, you're not driving fast enough"
edwinm3 is offline   United_States
      03-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Space Ghost
Captain

Drives: E92 M3

I had the AA catless and yes, it smells. I changed to their high flow cats and am very happy. I even like the sound better. I dont think you will get the cel if you have the tune. I never did.

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Space Ghost is offline   United_States
      03-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Jbook
Major

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
I have the AA catless also and hardly ever smell anything. I guess because I was used to my e46 supercharged and catless. That smelled
It definitely smells, but only when stopped with windows down. I don't smell it while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhouzitao View Post
have AA catless paired with AA rear. Sounds amazing. And I already get use to the smell. Only can smell it when stop at light and back wind
Completely agree with you. I'm sure I would get used to it, but I doubt the girlfriend will be too happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
I had the AA catless and yes, it smells. I changed to their high flow cats and am very happy. I even like the sound better. I dont think you will get the cel if you have the tune. I never did.
How much of a change in sound would you say there was after the HFC install?? Do you think you could describe it? I was hoping that I wouldn't need a retune, but don't they tune it differently based on what mods you have?
      03-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
boostedM
First Lieutenant

Drives: Active Stage II E92 M3

try some 100+ octane. Then it smells delicious

Instagram: @mitchellbanks
boostedM is offline   United_States
      03-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Space Ghost
Captain

Drives: E92 M3

I felt that there was a slight "raspyness" while catless. After adding the high flow cats that went away and I hear a deeper tone from the exhaust. Additionally, my but dyno says, adding the high flow cats gave back some torque at lower speeds but, I'm sure at the cost of HP at higher RPM's.

As for the tune you should check with AA but, I ran the catless tune with their high flow cats without issue or cel.

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Space Ghost is offline   United_States
      03-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Jbook
Major

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
I felt that there was a slight "raspyness" while catless. After adding the high flow cats that went away and I hear a deeper tone from the exhaust. Additionally, my but dyno says, adding the high flow cats gave back some torque at lower speeds but, I'm sure at the cost of HP at higher RPM's.

As for the tune you should check with AA but, I ran the catless tune with their high flow cats without issue or cel.
I do notice that bit of rasp right now, but I am willing to sacrifice a bit of gains to get rid of the smell.

I'm definitely going to check with AA because I had the stock x-pipe when I got my tune, but haven't had a CEL after installing the catless x-pipe. I just thought their tune was mod specific, so it would be altered for the addition of a x-pipe
      03-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
L4ces
Captain

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbook
and DAMN it smells!! Sounds amazing (really amazing), but I don't think I can handle the smell and I really don't think a nice car should smell like that. I had already purchased the HFC so they're already on the way. I wanted to do videos of just the AA rear section, rear + catless x-pipe, and rear + x-pipe w/ HFC so I will definitely get those videos done this weekend if I can last the week with the fumes.

I haven't got the CEL yet, but I have the Active tune already. I'm hoping that they will re-tune it when I eventually get the dreaded CEL.
If you have the slightest concern regarding others perception of your nice car and the bad smell then you 'may' be shocked if you ever have the opportunity to drive behind (follow) your own car. Maybe mine ran a lot richer the others when the cats were removed., but I'll tell yah it was so bad, my eyes were watery and i tasted the fumes.

Had a few friends drive behind me to confirm. Again, I think my car ran richer than most and would be willing to try an HFC setup.
L4ces is offline   United_States
      03-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Jbook
Major

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
If you have the slightest concern regarding others perception of your nice car and the bad smell then you 'may' be shocked if you ever have the opportunity to drive behind (follow) your own car. Maybe mine ran a lot richer the others when the cats were removed., but I'll tell yah it was so bad, my eyes were watery and i tasted the fumes.

Had a few friends drive behind me to confirm. Again, I think my car ran richer than most and would be willing to try an HFC setup.
I'm not concerned with others perception of my car, this is a personal thing. As far as my gf is concerned, I just don't want to hear her complain about it. I think the benefit is fairly minimal to bother putting up with the fumes when I can easily install the HFC when they arrive. I wanted to make sure I got videos comparing all three sounds for anyone who is interested in an AA exhaust set-up. Only thing I won't be doing is x-pipe with stock exhaust as it is too much of a hassle.
      03-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
mtbkr31
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Hey JBook,

Thanks for buying the HFCs. You should be getting them today and as posted you'll gain a little more torque on the low end and it will remove the smell.
      03-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
Jbook
Major

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkr31 View Post
Hey JBook,

Thanks for buying the HFCs. You should be getting them today and as posted you'll gain a little more torque on the low end and it will remove the smell.
Glad you had them available! Thanks again, really appreciate the easy transaction
      03-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
Canuckles
Private First Class

Drives: MW 2011 E92 M3

What do you mean, OP, that the AA x-pipe and OEM axle back is too much of a hassle. That's the setup I just had installed and it is pretty simple.
Canuckles is offline   Canada
      03-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
Jbook
Major

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckles View Post
What do you mean, OP, that the AA x-pipe and OEM axle back is too much of a hassle. That's the setup I just had installed and it is pretty simple.
I already had the AA axle back and just purchased the x-pipe and HFC (separately), so I wanted to make comparison videos for everyone. I already have vids of the AA axle back, but want to do vids of it with the catless AA x-pipe and AA x-pipe with HFC. Taking off my axle back and putting stock back on just to get a vid of it with x-pipe is more trouble than I'm willing to go through. Maybe you can get some vids and then we'll have 4 diff AA setups for ppl to compare
      03-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
E90///M3`
Major General

Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [3.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedM View Post
try some 100+ octane. Then it smells delicious
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
E90///M3` is offline   Philippines
      03-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #16
Canuckles
Private First Class

Would definately consider making one for the forum, but I stumbled across this on youtube the other day too:

[]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGSd8tsgEDU[]

It's a fairly accurate representation of the sound, you can definately tell though the OEM axle back is restrictive, when compared to the S65's newfound ability to breath.
      03-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #17
Jbook
Major

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
Quote:
Would definately consider making one for the forum, but I stumbled across this on youtube the other day too:

It's a fairly accurate representation of the sound, you can definately tell though the OEM axle back is restrictive, when compared to the S65's newfound ability to breath.
Nothing like making a video yourself though! I don't feel like the videos I made of my exhaust with a GoPro sound quite like the other ones I've found on youtube. I could definitely tell (now that I have the x-pipe on) how restrictive the OEM x-pipe was. From the sound to the feel on acceleration, the car is breathing much better.
      03-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #18
L4ces
Captain

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbook
Quote:

Nothing like making a video yourself though! I don't feel like the videos I made of my exhaust with a GoPro sound quite like the other ones I've found on youtube. I could definitely tell (now that I have the x-pipe on) how restrictive the OEM x-pipe was. From the sound to the feel on acceleration, the car is breathing much better.
Sometimes in the videos it is difficult to distinguish the airbox sound from the exhaust sound.

If you can do a drive and a take off without going WOT
L4ces is offline   United_States
      03-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
Jbook
Major

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Sometimes in the videos it is difficult to distinguish the airbox sound from the exhaust sound.

If you can do a drive and a take off without going WOT
I stick the go pro on my rear bumper facing the exhaust, so you don't get any airbox sound. I plan to get videos from a few diff angles.
      03-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
Canuckles
Private First Class

Wish I could get my hands on a Go-Pro with cups. Anyone on the West Coast feeling generous enough to let me borrow a setup like this for a few days?
      03-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #21
Jbook
Major

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
The GoPro Hero motorsport edition is like $200 and the Hero2 is $300, definitely worthwhile.

I just got the HFC on and the setup is exactly what I wanted now! Smell is gone, still feel a nice boost, and the drone is much better!
ESS VT2-625 w/ DCT Software | Awron Gauge | 19" BBS FI | Ohlins R&T w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates | Alekshop Subframe Bushings | RD Sport Sway Bars F&R | Dinan Strut Braces & Pedals | Brembo GT 380 F&R w/ Endless Pads | Akrapovic GT4 | Vorsteiner GTS-V Lip | 3D Design Diffuser | Platte Forme CF Side Skirt Extensions | BMW Performance Seats, CF Spoiler, CF Mirror Covers & Steering Wheel
      03-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #22
Jbook
Major

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
AA X-Pipe + HFC + AA retune = WOW... definitely should have been my first set of mods. Couldn't be happier, THANKS Active!!