BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Rekrul
Captain
 
Rekrul's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Purgatory

Posts: 783
iTrader: (1)

Too soon to switch to summer tires?

Its getting quite warm in the midwest.. then again the midwest is a bit like a bipolar wench. 60's this week.. all I can think of is the winter tires being eaten away lol.
Rekrul is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,441
iTrader: (2)

Weather's been very similar where I live and it's supposed to be around 70 everyday this week. I almost put the summer wheels/tires on today.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,642
iTrader: (5)

Warm here as well. I'm taking the risk and throwing them on tomorrow, im ready to put winter behind me.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,441
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Warm here as well. I'm taking the risk and throwing them on tomorrow, im ready to put winter behind me.
I like your attitude

Have you had time to get the RS1's installed yet? I recently ordered Ohlins for for my R56 Mini. They arrived on Fri and I can't wait to get them installed
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,642
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
I like your attitude

Have you had time to get the RS1's installed yet? I recently ordered Ohlins for for my R56 Mini. They arrived on Fri and I can't wait to get them installed
Not yet my friend. Was actually waiting for the weather to warm up. I'll have them installed probably within the next two weeks.
Congrats on the Ohlins set up.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,441
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Not yet my friend. Was actually waiting for the weather to warm up. I'll have them installed probably within the next two weeks.
Congrats on the Ohlins set up.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying out the Ohlins because this will be the 1st car I've owned to use an Ohlins suspension.

Do you plan on posting a review of the RS1's after you've had a chance to drive the M on the street and track?
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,642
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying out the Ohlins because this will be the 1st car I've owned to use an Ohlins suspension.

Do you plan on posting a review of the RS1's after you've had a chance to drive the M on the street and track?
I"ll def have a on going full review going on them. My first track day is April 1st, but it's at a slower more technical track. I'll be at Mosport soon after that to see how they are on the high speed stuff.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,441
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
I"ll def have a on going full review going on them. My first track day is April 1st, but it's at a slower more technical track. I'll be at Mosport soon after that to see how they are on the high speed stuff.
Sounds good! Looking forward to reading your reviews - there's a certain person we both know that trying to convince me to go with the RS1's over the MCS remote-reservoir setup
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,642
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Sounds good! Looking forward to reading your reviews - there's a certain person we both know that trying to convince me to go with the RS1's over the MCS remote-reservoir setup
He can be very persuasive, lol. Knows his stuff though.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,441
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
He can be very persuasive, lol. Knows his stuff though.
Yes he can be very, very persuasive! I thought I knew what I wanted but now I'm confused, lol.

OP - sorry for going off topic. To make it up I'll swap out the winter wheels tomorrow
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,480
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
I'm about to order my Michelin pilot super sports for my Apex wheels
Can't wait to have some good tires
Bad idea to pick up your new car in winter
Worse idea to have 245/40 winter tires in the back
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
mmm def
Colonel
 
mmm def's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i, 11 S4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ

Posts: 2,566
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to mmm def
Put mine on today, supposed to be 60-70 all week. Winter is done as far as I'm concerned.
mmm def is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #13
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,441
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
I'm about to order my Michelin pilot super sports for my Apex wheels
Can't wait to have some good tires
Bad idea to pick up your new car in winter
Worse idea to have 245/40 winter tires in the back
I agree - picking up your new M in the winter and immediately installing winter tires (235/255 in my case) is not fun

FYI, TireRack currently has a $70 rebate when you buy four PSS tires
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #14
abehwang
Captain
 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US

Posts: 490
iTrader: (0)

I drove everyday in VA with my summers on (Continentals) and survived this mild winter
the coldest was 15F and I drove to work fine
I know it's risky but I can't miss work HAHA and all the roads were salted.
__________________
2008 E90 M3: Alpine White/ Fox Red Novillo/ Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | Premium | Cold Weather | Technology | EPS | PDC | Ipod/USB |

Fuelly :: Adelei's Gas Mileage
abehwang is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #15
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
 
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB

Posts: 786
iTrader: (0)

for those of you horny to put your summers back on, just a friendly reminder...
it was 7C yesterday, bright and sunny, forecast looked good...

woke up this morning, got 2" of wet snow on the ground, the kind of snow that doesnt even fly off your car when you drive at 30mph... and it's still coming...

just be careful
frenchM3dreamer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #16
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,480
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
I agree - picking up your new M in the winter and immediately installing winter tires (235/255 in my case) is not fun

FYI, TireRack currently has a $70 rebate when you buy four PSS tires
honestly i think 245/40 all around sucks for this car
unless you are in an area that has snow throughout winter
i'd prefer 235/255
can't begin to tell you how often my rear tires would spin on dry ground with enthusiastic use of the throttle pedal
especially that this winter had almost no snow here in the DC metro area
and the one day it snowed, my winter tires sucked big time. Zero traction.
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,441
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
honestly i think 245/40 all around sucks for this car
unless you are in an area that has snow throughout winter
i'd prefer 235/255
can't begin to tell you how often my rear tires would spin on dry ground with enthusiastic use of the throttle pedal
especially that this winter had almost no snow here in the DC metro area
and the one day it snowed, my winter tires sucked big time. Zero traction.
Even with the 235/255 (Dunlop Wintersport 3D) traction wasn't great in the dry, however, wheel spin wasn't too bad and high-speed stability/driving was good in the wet and dry.

Which winter tire were you using? Was it a snow/ice or performance winter tire?
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #18
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,480
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Which winter tire were you using? Was it a snow/ice or performance winter tire?
Dunlop Wintersport 3d
245/40 18"
honestly that day i drove them in the snow (less than 1/2 inch snow on groud), i might as well have been driving on PS2s.
and they had less than 2000 miles on them at that point, so still full tread.
i honestly think tires make little difference when you have no weight on the rearn tires.
i had Pirelli snowsport 240s on my 08 M3, they also sucked
and i do know how to drive in the snow, so this is not driver error
i learnt how to drive in Sweden so snow is not foreign to me
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
Rekrul
Captain
 
Rekrul's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Purgatory

Posts: 783
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchM3dreamer View Post
for those of you horny to put your summers back on, just a friendly reminder...
it was 7C yesterday, bright and sunny, forecast looked good...

woke up this morning, got 2" of wet snow on the ground, the kind of snow that doesnt even fly off your car when you drive at 30mph... and it's still coming...

just be careful
Did you check your weather forecast? Supposedly I have 10 days of 60+ to look forward too...Hmmm
Rekrul is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #20
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
 
Poppin Fresh's Avatar
 
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bergen County NJ

Posts: 2,128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
Did you check your weather forecast? Supposedly I have 10 days of 60+ to look forward too...Hmmm
I switched. Running snow tires in 60 degree weather...meh.
__________________
Poppin Fresh is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #21
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
 
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB

Posts: 786
iTrader: (0)

Forecast up here doesnt mean much...
as we say, the weatherman is the only one who can be wrong everyday of the year, and still keep his job... anywee, just sayin' ! i'm glad you guys can enjoy your summers already !
frenchM3dreamer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #22
Richbot
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

Posts: 1,992
iTrader: (2)

Lows here are in the low 50's for the foreseeable future. My 11's, U's, L's, and O's are made with a PS2 pen now
__________________
Richbot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST