BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

INDustry distribution

03-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #23
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Hi yomny, HC+ for E9X M3 OE shape is available but requires special order from Japan. Their more aggressive Club Racer compound is available right now.

Some info on Club Racer:
Applicable Rotor Temperature: up to 1472 deg. F
Friction Coefficient: 0.42-0.55
      03-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #24
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Also here's an example of the contact pyrometer probe made specifically for brakes from Intercomp.

But for general purpose you can simply use a temperature gun.
      03-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #25
Z K
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
ZK so the hc+ are good for street and track? I just wanted to stick to oem for street and take advantage of the warranty replacing them, the use a set for track. I may not need a full race pad for track since I really don't track the car much at all. What do you think, maybe something just under full race track pads for the track to take it easy on the rotors? Really appreciate all your help, it's tough getting along just reading without some personal feedback.
Yeah, It should be fine. HC+ has the highest heat range of any street/track hybrid pad. I ran these all year round on my previous car. Make sure you break them in right and you'll be set. Little to no noise in street driving. They take some serious heat before they fade. If you fade these, you will need to move up to race pads.

A similar pad with a little less heat capacity is the Endless MX72. Those cost considerably more but may be more available in the USA.

If you want to save some money, the Hawk HP+ takes some heavy heat too but squeal like crazy in street driving. These are some old-school technology. I ran these back in the late 90s and it was one of the better options back then. Today's brake compounds are better now...

Last edited by Z K; 03-12-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #26
yomny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335is 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World
Hi yomny, HC+ for E9X M3 OE shape is available but requires special order from Japan. Their more aggressive Club Racer compound is available right now.

Some info on Club Racer:
Applicable Rotor Temperature: up to 1472 deg. F
Friction Coefficient: 0.42-0.55
Richard the club racers could be used as a track pad, how much for a set? I wanted to leave the oem pads for street since BMW replaces them when necessary. Another thing, how can I tell when brake fluid has been boiled or needs replacing. Which fluid would you recommend? I had my eye on castrol but it's really pricy, what's a good fluid that'll last a good year so so, I track the car maybe 10 times a year. Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #27
yomny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Yeah, It should be fine. HC+ has the highest heat range of any street/track hybrid pad. I ran these all year round on my previous car. Make sure you break them in right and you'll be set. Little to no noise in street driving. They take some serious heat before they fade. If you fade these, you will need to move up to race pads.

A similar pad with a little less heat capacity is the Endless MX72. Those cost considerably more but may be more available in the USA.

If you want to save some money, the Hawk HP+ takes some heavy heat too but squeal like crazy in street driving. These are some old-school technology. I ran these back in the late 90s and it was one of the better options back then. Today's brake compounds are better now...
I did see the Endless but a pair was running $700, i got a quote for about $370 front and backs for HT-70 Hawks, would those be any good for dedicated track?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #28
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Damn, didn't want noisy lol. I was on looking into maybe the Pagids rs19 but they are equally as expensive. Thanks for your feedback though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
Yep, the RS-7's are okay for the back ( you don't push them as hard as the fronts ( plus they are much cheaper than the RS-19's)).
Turner used to sell the RS-19's for the back, but they don't anymore......
But use the RS-19's in front. great pads for the track
I run Pagid RS-7 blacks on the rear full time (street and track) and they last forever, no noise daily driving and great for track duty. I'm running RS-29 for the front now, but have used RS-19s in the past with great results.
      03-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #29
yomny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

good to hear, i was considering that setup from Turner but it still a lot more than the offer i got for the HT-70, any comments on the hawks?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #30
yomny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hope some of the experienced track drivers could give me a little info on the temperature subject. Whats the OEM e92 m3 pad operating temp? To measure the rotor/pad temps one would actually have to track the car, park it/fully stop and take the temperature but this would allow for cooling, how can we have an idea in extreme braking condition what the actual temp was? Is there like a rule of thumb, can we safely say that adding 100 degrees(or so) to the temp acquired after stopping could give us an idea of the actual braking temp. I know all of this is very relative, because every braking situation is different, the speed before every turn in a track is different. Just want to know what heats im dealing with to know which track pad to use. Thanks

PS-What do you guys recommend for track use, something that's easy on the rotor and a full set could be for 500 or less, the more i save the better obviously. I track my car maybe twice a month, every other month. My car is running street tires so the burden on the brakes isn't too great. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #31
yomny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm constantly reading and doing my own research, hence the reason i reply to my own questions and post so often. I had my eye on CL RC5+, they are sintered and have a really high MOT, very easy bedding and good cold bite. The sintered composition seems to be a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #32
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Remember there is no free lunch. You get a really aggressive sintered race pad and it can eat your rotors alive, thus adding another cost factor into the equation.

I like the Pagids--have RS-29 now and love them--and also the PF-06 are great. If you swap these out for each event they should ok. It's driving around daily (cold) with them that will really kill your rotors.

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #33
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot9 View Post
Hawk HP Plus are the only dual purpose pads I have found, and they do both very well. They are noisy, very noisy.
Ferodo DS2500 is a nice HP+ replacement without the noise.

If you are looking for something less aggressive, the Stoptech Street Performance pads will do.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #34
SlamMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ED 5/19/2010, Interlagos E90

Pagid from Turner FTW! They're they only track pads I have experience with but they've been great so far. Noisy as hell when cold though.
      03-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #35
yomny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Guys today i went ahead and did a bed in for my stock oem pads to spread some material on the rotor but i find it that every time i push my stock pads hard i get this black line on the outer circumference of the rotor, what could it be?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #36
chili cheese
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
I would get RS19s front and back.
This is what I run for my track days and switch back to OEM for street use.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #37
Z K
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Guys today i went ahead and did a bed in for my stock oem pads to spread some material on the rotor but i find it that every time i push my stock pads hard i get this black line on the outer circumference of the rotor, what could it be?
Looks like melted pad material. Could be the pad transfer layer burning off if these are new pads. It should wash off easily if that is the case.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #38
yomny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

These are old pads, have had them for 12k miles but just recently tracked my car and they did this. This only shows under hard braking. It does like some burnt charcoal. What should I do.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #39
yomny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
This is what I run for my track days and switch back to OEM for street use.
Where do you get your front and back set? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #40
Z K
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
These are old pads, have had them for 12k miles but just recently tracked my car and they did this. This only shows under hard braking. It does like some burnt charcoal. What should I do.
Yup, burnt brake pad material. The brake pads get too hot, liquify, fall off the pad and reform on the wheel. Pretty normal. It will wash off with some good wheel cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #41
yomny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Then this means the oem pads suck in other words. This happened with a few 60-10mph to bed in the pad, not even on a track day. I think I'm going to need a more heat resistant pad, what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #42
Z K
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Then this means the oem pads suck in other words. This happened with a few 60-10mph to bed in the pad, not even on a track day. I think I'm going to need a more heat resistant pad, what do you think?
I wouldn't necessarily say that... The stuff you are seeing is normal for any brake pad when you work them hard. That happening doesn't mean the pad is working beyond its heat range.

I doubt BMW would stick in high heat performance brake pads for street cars. That would cause all sorts of complaints from customers about squealing brakes and the brakes not working well in cold temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #43
yomny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ZK thanks a lot for your help. Would you know what MOT for oem pads is?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #44
chili cheese
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue

Quote:
Where do you get your front and back set? Thanks
Turner:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-40...0-e63-e65.aspx
Appreciate 0