BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions
View Poll Results: Eibach springs or Coilovers?
Eibachs are more than enough for the track 9 60.00%
A coilover setup is a necessity for the track 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

03-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #23
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
Yeah I saw Leh's time in that other thread. Which is why I've been watching my video religiously thinking, where am I going to find 7 secs?

Let out a little bit more air plus a smooth line through Oak Tree in order to go up the back straight faster. Brake later going into 14. Go up the Climbing Esses faster, and be more aggressive at South Bend. I'm definitely thinking like a Killer Bee... LOL I might have to get track insurance next time. I kid....
I tell ya this from my experiences.

Who cares about time I did all last year and it took all the fun out of going to the track. I had blinders on from the morning of the track day until it was over the next day or following days later. I hit the goal I wanted 57s...

After that what next...55s 56s?

I guess me rambling I am trying to say enjoy the company around you at the track instead of the "times" on the track. That is what I miss most, the people like Doc/Dave/Ashley who you see on regular basis and get to become good friends with.

A time is a time. Guess what, it ain't worth going off in the esses at 145+ like I have unless you are getting paid.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #24
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post

Who cares about time I did all last year and it took all the fun out of going to the track. I had blinders on from the morning of the track day until it was over the next day or following days later. I hit the goal I wanted 57s...

I guess me rambling I am trying to say enjoy the company around you at the track instead of the "times" on the track. That is what I miss most, the people like Doc/Dave/Ashley who you see on regular basis and get to become good friends with.

A time is a time. Guess what, it ain't worth going off in the esses at 145+ like I have unless you are getting paid.
Wise words.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #25
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:

Well said buddy. When are you going to bring that F250 on the track? The way you drive I will probably have to give you a damn point by.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #26
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Well said buddy. When are you going to bring that F250 on the track? The way you drive I will probably have to give you a damn point by.

I will come up to be a spectator - and sponsor!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #27
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh geez, Barry if you are reading this I am sorry I forgot to include you - obviously you are not cool enough

-Martin
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #28
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

First weekend in May with trackdaze, I have seen a red pickup out at VIR, but never an F-250. The weather will still be nice and maybe we can get Ashley to show up. We all know Doc will already be there.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #29
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
First weekend in May with trackdaze, I have seen a red pickup out at VIR, but never an F-250. The weather will still be nice and maybe we can get Ashley to show up. We all know Doc will already be there.
Dave, are you going to the next one with trackdaze? How's your car doing? Hans told me you lost your even gears. Sorry to hear.

Johnny
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #30
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Quote:

Always a first time. However, I bet he cannot break 2 mins unless he buys some mods - like a GTR
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #31
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The comradery is awesome at these events. I'm by no means a laptime chaser and I never get frustrated with traffic. It's always all smiles, ask Chris. I had my shit grin on the entire time.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #32
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
Dave, are you going to the next one with trackdaze? How's your car doing? Hans told me you lost your even gears. Sorry to hear.

Johnny
I will be there for that weekend with a beefier tranny. Shit breaks, should have stuck with the Germans!! I will also be at Summit with my GTI later in May.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #33
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Always a first time. However, I bet he cannot break 2 mins unless he buys some mods - like a GTR
vz
He may need to lower the center of gravity a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #34
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
I can try to make that.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #35
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

I hope that all will be at Trackdaze in May. Should be one real good event. We may have some new instructors coming out of the Trackdaze Instructor School where I will be teaching this coming week. Look forward to seeing you guys soon, even you Martin in your F250 chug achug.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #36
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm by no means a laptime chaser
Hey JW, no need for execuses I think that you were doing real good, and should be a fantastic addition to the Killer Bees. Look for me at your next event. I will probably be driving my slow 525i Sunday Driver.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #37
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
I hope that all will be at Trackdaze in May. Should be one real good event. We may have some new instructors coming out of the Trackdaze Instructor School where I will be teaching this coming week. Look forward to seeing you guys soon, even you Martin in your F250 chug achug.
vz
Very funny - how about lunch sometime ?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #38
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Very little bodyroll at turn 1 considering it looks like the inside tires are off the ground.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #39
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Going back to the OP's original post, there are two main difference between coilovers and regular springs: spring rates and damping quality.

Stiff springs hold the car up off the bump stops while soft springs make the bump stops part of the suspension. Basically, with lowering springs (or stock springs), you're riding the bump stops to some extent in every corner. With coilovers, you're not - the springs are doing all the work.

Stiffer springs require more damping. Furthermore, the shape of the damping curves can be selected to deliver better handling.

So, there's no doubt that you can go fast with Eibach springs, or other lowering springs or stock springs, but properly set up coilovers will be easier and more consistent to drive fast on. It depends on what your goals are as to which is better for you. I'm a big fan of making my car easy to drive fast, so I set it up accordingly. When I can run at 80% and keep up with people working their butts off at 90%, I'm happy.
Appreciate 0