BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #221
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNF View Post
I dont really do a good review, but I have my 5D3 for a couple days now and loves it. i never owned a FF, so I cant really compare on how it performs vs the 5D2 or others.

I also own a 7D right now. I can tell you one thing in my early testing on taking some sports photo. (track n field). The AF tracking works just as well as my 7D in my opinion, using the same 70-200 f4 IS lens.

I think this 5D3 will go down as one of the most solidly built Canon FF!
Nice, keep us updated there's lots of people in here that are holding back until they learn as much as they can.

how do you find the sharpness of the photos at 100% zoom compared to the 7D about the same? or slightly softer?

Do you find the pictures are "popping" off the screen with the depth?
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #222
PNF
Colonel
 
PNF's Avatar
 
Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wayne, PA / Taipei

Posts: 2,306
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
Nice, keep us updated there's lots of people in here that are holding back until they learn as much as they can.

how do you find the sharpness of the photos at 100% zoom compared to the 7D about the same? or slightly softer?

Do you find the pictures are "popping" off the screen with the depth?
I think the answers to your question is gonna be arbitrary.

I am not a pro. I am just a guy who loves to shoot and enjoys the pictures. But by my experience so far.

I am using 16-35II mostly so far.

I have not compared the two, but today I went to a local shrine here in Taiwan and used my 16-35II on my 5D, in a relatively low light situation inside the shrine, at 12600 ISO with f3.5 stop. I have to tell you, I am pretty amazed at the IQ at this high ISO.

I also tested some photos at max zoom (35mm) at max f2.8. The image looks pretty sharp. I wouldnt say sharper or softer than my 7D, simply because I dont have exact same pic taking at the same time if you know what I mean. There are many other factors.

To do a comparable test, I should have 2 of the same lens tripoded at the same location with 7D and 5D3 to really compare. But I dont..

All I can say is, this is definitely an upgrade over my 7D and love it so much right now.

So, to answer your question from my 2 day experience so far, I would say this thing sure damn worth every penny of it. For those enthusiast, it is only matter of time before you give in and upgrade from 5D2 to 5D3!

I might have waited a year for it to drop down to say $2995 to compete with D800. But I am not a man of patience when it comes to my hobbies.. (car + camera)..
__________________
2015 F80 Fully loaded (minus the CCB) YMB M3 / Individual Amaro Brown (Est. Oct..)
2008 E92 335i (sold)
PNF is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #223
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNF View Post
I might have waited a year for it to drop down to say $2995 to compete with D800. But I am not a man of patience when it comes to my hobbies.. (car + camera)..
I have a feeling this might be what happens to me

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I can only imagine the smile it's putting on your face knowing what sort of smile the 5DmkII put on my face when I first got it.

by the way, Nice choice of lens for that camera It's pretty much glued to my 5DII unless I'm doing portraits and my 7D is pretty much only used with my telephotos or macro. (because of the flash control and better sharpness)
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #224
PNF
Colonel
 
PNF's Avatar
 
Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wayne, PA / Taipei

Posts: 2,306
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I have a feeling this might be what happens to me

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I can only imagine the smile it's putting on your face knowing what sort of smile the 5DmkII put on my face when I first got it.

by the way, Nice choice of lens for that camera It's pretty much glued to my 5DII unless I'm doing portraits and my 7D is pretty much only used with my telephotos or macro. (because of the flash control and better sharpness)
+1 same.

Right now, I am trying to sell my 7D, since I probably wont be needing both. But I am still contemplating the idea of selling the 7D.

Many say 5D3 is not designed for sports. Yes, I agree if you compare it to the 1D series.

But lets face it, 5D3 can do (at least in the few photos I tried) can do just as good job as any of those non-$5000+ cameras or better. Only time will tell.

Right now, I am only using 16-35.. and waiting for the 24-70MK2 to drop price. $2300 for that lens is just outrageous, even it if is just as good as the Nikon's 24-70.

Still... I will find out more about what this 5D3 can do as I go. =)

Good luck holding your urge man.. I gave in on mine..
__________________
2015 F80 Fully loaded (minus the CCB) YMB M3 / Individual Amaro Brown (Est. Oct..)
2008 E92 335i (sold)
PNF is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #225
rodi
. . .
 
Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

Posts: 2,400
iTrader: (-1)

can you upload some high-res video samples to Dropbox or something?
maybe like 3 seconds worth at different ISO's. if you've got the time, I'll give a list of stuff you can do.
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

rodi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #226
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,825
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNF View Post
+1 same.

Right now, I am trying to sell my 7D, since I probably wont be needing both. But I am still contemplating the idea of selling the 7D.

Many say 5D3 is not designed for sports. Yes, I agree if you compare it to the 1D series.

But lets face it, 5D3 can do (at least in the few photos I tried) can do just as good job as any of those non-$5000+ cameras or better. Only time will tell.

Right now, I am only using 16-35.. and waiting for the 24-70MK2 to drop price. $2300 for that lens is just outrageous, even it if is just as good as the Nikon's 24-70.

Still... I will find out more about what this 5D3 can do as I go. =)

Good luck holding your urge man.. I gave in on mine..
I'd keep my 7D, but that's because I do wildlife and need the extra reach of the 7D's smaller pixels. Otherwise, I'd stick with the 5D3. The only reason to keep it is as a backup, if you don't need the reach.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #227
signes
Brigadier General
 
signes's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

Posts: 4,175
iTrader: (3)

Dave, how does the 7D do at higher ISOs? Still waiting on shipment notice for my mkIII but also have a D800 on order, too. Couldn't resist, will only keep one.
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
signes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #228
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,825
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Dave, how does the 7D do at higher ISOs? Still waiting on shipment notice for my mkIII but also have a D800 on order, too. Couldn't resist, will only keep one.
Here's a shot at ISO 6400 on my 7D with only default processing by DxO Optics Pro 7.1:


Michelle checks for text message... by dcstep, on Flickr

For comparison, here's one shot at ISO 6400 with my 5D2:


Giant Tinkertoy, outside Earl of Sandwich by dcstep, on Flickr

I see nothing to complain about with either. Both have pretty incredible dynamic range. If I look at the RAW files at 400%, the 5D2 is a clear winner, but I only view the RAW files prior to conversion. In real life usage, the 7D is pretty well stunning. The complete "system" is camera/lens/software, not camera/lens, unless you only shoot in-camera jpegs.

Do I Jones for a 5D3? Hell yes, and I'll be shooting it at 12,800 for sure and testing at 25,600. The added shutter speed will be useful for shooting critters after the sun's gone down. (Gotta get a new client or two to fund my hobby...)

Dave
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #229
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Dave, how does the 7D do at higher ISOs? Still waiting on shipment notice for my mkIII but also have a D800 on order, too. Couldn't resist, will only keep one.
you're going to have to do a nice write up for us on the camera and why you choose one over the other
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #230
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,825
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Pretty impressive high-ISO jpeg with NR off (look at the end of the slideshow):

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/re...ples/slideshow
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #231
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Pretty impressive high-ISO jpeg with NR off (look at the end of the slideshow):

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/re...ples/slideshow
looks like 12600 will be about as high as we'll be shooting without doing plastic surgery to the photos.

That being said, there was one that was pretty decent in there at 51,000 ISO

It's always hard to tell with other peoples work, you don't know 100% where they were focused (you can guess) All of them I assume were without a tripod but again, that's a guess.

Until the last set of test shots, it's all nice pictures, but not really an entire story. But it's a nice story

It was nice to see the test set at the end for sure. I almost like the NR- off pictures better then the ones with NR - on in the higher ISO levels.

Now I want this camera more just to see what can be done with it.....
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #232
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

I've also made the assumption those were all JPG files to start with? I didn't see it written anywhere
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #233
Chewy734
Major General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Posts: 6,760
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I've also made the assumption those were all JPG files to start with? I didn't see it written anywhere
yeah, I would assume so. Since the raw conversion software currently isn't working properly for the 5D3. Plus, Adobe has yet to release one themselves for this camera.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Chewy734 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #234
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
yeah, I would assume so. Since the raw conversion software currently isn't working properly for the 5D3. Plus, Adobe has yet to release one themselves for this camera.
I find this surprising, does this mean that canon was being silly to a certain point where it backfired on them? I figure they would have given over some of the tech before hand to help get adobe and other companies up to par with what the new software should do.

And why is it so different then what was coming out of the old 1D cameras? or is it more the lens/camera correction information that's the issue?
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #235
Chewy734
Major General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Posts: 6,760
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I find this surprising, does this mean that canon was being silly to a certain point where it backfired on them?
apparently, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
And why is it so different then what was coming out of the old 1D cameras? or is it more the lens/camera correction information that's the issue?
Beats me. But, this is why we aren't able to make RAW to RAW comparisons between the 5D3 and other cameras right now.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Chewy734 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #236
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
apparently, yes.



Beats me. But, this is why we aren't able to make RAW to RAW comparisons between the 5D3 and other cameras right now.
price you pay for being overly secretive I guess...

Either way, without the software for it, the pictures are looking promising.
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #237
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,825
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
There's almost always a short delay (45-60 days) between release of a new camera and Adobe, DxO, etc. having their own modules fully developed.

I've read that Canon substantially upgraded Digital Photo Professional for the 5D3 and it includes improvements for models going back to 2009 (read 7D). I'll be curious to see how DPP's NR works on the ISO 25,600 shots.

I can't afford the 5D3 at the moment, so when I buy later this year, I'm sure that DxO will have a module for it. I'll do some comparisons between DPP and DxO at that time.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #238
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
There's almost always a short delay (45-60 days) between release of a new camera and Adobe, DxO, etc. having their own modules fully developed.

I've read that Canon substantially upgraded Digital Photo Professional for the 5D3 and it includes improvements for models going back to 2009 (read 7D). I'll be curious to see how DPP's NR works on the ISO 25,600 shots.

I can't afford the 5D3 at the moment, so when I buy later this year, I'm sure that DxO will have a module for it. I'll do some comparisons between DPP and DxO at that time.

Dave
That's sort of my thought process. No point buying the camera when there's not much support for it yet.
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #239
signes
Brigadier General
 
signes's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

Posts: 4,175
iTrader: (3)

Damn, those 7D pics look very impressive. At this rate I will wind up with three new bodies (kidding.) Really makes me wonder whether the mkIII is the right time for me to switch back to Canon given the extra cost of glass. I am eagerly awaiting the D800 and will report back.
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
signes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #240
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

The 7D can do that kind of ISO, but if you're to try and crop it, you're at a dead end.

you wouldn't be able to print a very big picture with it.

that's where the 5DmkII has been a winner in my book. It may not be as sharp as the 7D, but it's 98% as sharp. And when you shoot at 6400, you can still crop in a bit before it becomes a problem.
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #241
PNF
Colonel
 
PNF's Avatar
 
Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wayne, PA / Taipei

Posts: 2,306
iTrader: (4)

umm... ok, I will do some testing tomorrow of the 7D vs 5D3 at highest ISO for testing.

So far I only had some chances of really using my 5D3. Busy schedule recently. I should have sometime tomorrow.

__________________
2015 F80 Fully loaded (minus the CCB) YMB M3 / Individual Amaro Brown (Est. Oct..)
2008 E92 335i (sold)
PNF is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #242
Chewy734
Major General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Posts: 6,760
iTrader: (15)

cool... looking forward to your tests.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Chewy734 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST