BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

PYSPEED

03-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #23
yomny
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: '13 335is 6spd

Alright guys i need your help, i've been lurking around for hours and the amount of opinions on pads and fluids is just overwhelming. I think i've decided to go with castrol srf as far as the fluid goes, but the pads i just dont really know. I dont want something drastic racy, i track the car about twice a month, not every month. I dont want to be switching from street to track pads. What do you guys suggest, please help me out, just your suggestions and personal experience would help me make a decision. I also wanted to get a set of SS lines, why do some have 4 and others 6 lines? Thanks a bunch.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #24
yomny
Second Lieutenant
United_States

I'm having some odd bed-in in results with my stock pads, i know they're not race pads but i think some amount of bed in material could be transferred to the rotors for better performance. I know the rotor should turn a nice grey/blueish color when the material is transferred over but i get a darker line along the outer circumference of the rotor, what is it? I noticed this after the first track event, first time the pads got really hot. It seems that something maybe wrong on that part of the pad, should i remove and inspect? The car brakes perfectly though.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #25
yyoo
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
I'm having some odd bed-in in results with my stock pads, i know they're not race pads but i think some amount of bed in material could be transferred to the rotors for better performance. I know the rotor should turn a nice grey/blueish color when the material is transferred over but i get a darker line along the outer circumference of the rotor, what is it? I noticed this after the first track event, first time the pads got really hot. It seems that something maybe wrong on that part of the pad, should i remove and inspect? The car brakes perfectly though.
What I found is that the inside and outside edges of the rotors wear more because of the holes from the cross-drilling in the middle of the rotor. Your stripe may just be evidence of that. You'll notice that the dark stripe starts at the outside edge of the outermost hole.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #26
Car54
Captain

Drives: 1999 Z3 Mcoupe | 2008 M3/4

That or you got some grease on the pad. All four like that?

Craig Brickner
Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #27
yomny
Second Lieutenant
United_States

That's odd, grease that only shows under high temp/hard braking? It's only on the front rotors.
Appreciate 0