BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-19-2018, 11:26 PM   #1
NitroBiz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 e90 IB M3

Back in the saddle....again!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My journey into the BMW world started in ‘01. One night while looking out my porch I saw a red e36 4 door M3 with M Contour wheels. It was memorizing! At the time I had a Ford SHO which I thought was pretty fast until I got passed like I was standing by a Civic a week later. It was then I vowed to get a M3 and NEVER get passed again, I was determined! I saved my money and about a month later after a lot of budgeting I had 12k to put down on a local ‘98 black on black, 4 door, 5 speed e36. I was HOOKED! On the way home from the dealership I remember a green Jetta III GLI tried to race me. It wasn’t even close! Immediately I knew this was the best car I had ever owned! Prior to the SHO I had a few GTI's, GLI's and a Maxima, but nothing felt like this!

Getting married and starting to plan for a family my wife started to get on me about the age and maintenance of the car. I eventually gave in. WORST decision ever!

Fast forward to ‘17 and a lot of drama between then. A family friend showed me her blue ‘15 335i and asked me if I would be interested in buying so she could get a SUV for when her new baby came. I started to do some research on how much it would be worth and saw that e9x wheren't that much more expensive. So I started test driving some e9x M3’s around town to see if I liked them. First one I test drove was a ‘09 e90 LeMans blue M3 that didn’t seem right. It had a lot of miles on it and wasn’t that fast. Up the street was a ‘09 e90 Jet Black M3 on f80 wheels. It was gorgeous, but it also had a lot of miles and 5 previous owners. Needless to say my search wasn’t over. A few days later I test drove a '12 e92 Jerez M3 that was AMAZING! Super clean inside and out with relatively low miles and was SUPER fast! This was the one, even though I really only wanted a e90 I was willing to make an exception. I started crunching the numbers and realized with my lease I couldn’t afford it until I got out of my lease with current car that was a ‘15 Jetta GLI. I was bummed, so I started researching how to get out of my lease, knowing that the car wouldn’t last.

It was impossible. VW Credit won’t let you out of your lease, no matter what! A few weeks past and a lot of drooling at all the M3's on here, I found what I REALLY wanted. It checked all the box but it was on the opposite side of the country and it was in pretty bad shape. With the help of a fellow forum member I was told to keep on searching, so I did but I was reluctant because I knew this could be it with a little TLC and at the right price. After talking to the dealer and them unwilling to negotiate I continued my search.

One night while looking online I found a Space Grey e92 that looked AMAZING on duPont registry, so I gave the dealership a call. The car was already sold. However the sales guy didn't give up, he asked me what I wanted and told him that there is one in NJ but they want to much money for it for the condition it was in. Right then and there he offered to help. He offered to buy it through auction and then bring it back to his shop and fix it up all around in my budget.

Month and half later and WAY over budget I have my dream car! 2011.5 Interlagos Blue e90 M3. Considering where I found it, I feel pretty lucky! Considering what other kind of cars are in my area, this is a pretty rare car and I can't wait to bring it back to life completely!

Name:  35650999_10216194812933857_1636546474382721024_n.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  176.0 KB

Name:  35859326_10216194813333867_2094173590504079360_n.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  40.9 KB

Last edited by NitroBiz; 06-20-2018 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 3
GVIFlyer294.50
CSBM52665.50
PACarGuy646.00
      06-19-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

What the heck man...you can't make a thread like this without including pics!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:52 PM   #3
blue-mw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Congrats! Sounds like an absolute beauty. Seconding motion for pix

Also, what was that E36 memorizing?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
NitroBiz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-mw View Post
Congrats! Sounds like an absolute beauty. Seconding motion for pix

Also, what was that E36 memorizing?
Considering I was coming from a Ford SHO and a couple of Volkswagen GTI’s and GLI’s it was a completely different car. Better handling, a lot faster and a lot classier.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Congrats and welcome. My cousin at I both in Seattle with IB E90s and we both had them shipped here from out of state as well

The rear M3 badge is not quite in the right spot - maybe the car was hit on the rear end?

So what needs to be done to 'bring it back to life completely' ? Just some maintenance and/or conditioning type stuff/paint correction?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #6
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Congrats!

A little lacking on the details,what was fixed? What was originally wrong with it?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
NitroBiz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Congrats and welcome. My cousin at I both in Seattle with IB E90s and we both had them shipped here from out of state as well

The rear M3 badge is not quite in the right spot - maybe the car was hit on the rear end?

So what needs to be done to 'bring it back to life completely' ? Just some maintenance and/or conditioning type stuff/paint correction?
Cool, perhaps we will need to meet up and talk shop.

When I found it, the M badge was missing.

When I first had a fellow forum member look at it, he said the paint was pretty bad, the wheels were all curbed and bent and the interior was a little rough. Right away I need to Leatherique the seats and the past two days I've been cleaning the steering wheel. After the interior I'm going to tackle the exterior. That is of course after the shipping company fixes a few things that happened when he was transported from Philadelphia to Seattle

Last edited by NitroBiz; 06-20-2018 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
NitroBiz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Congrats!

A little lacking on the details,what was fixed? What was originally wrong with it?
In a word...rough. It had missing underfelt pieces, noticeable leaks from the valve cover gasket, scratches deeper than the clear, curbed and bent wheels all around. Interior was ok, but not perfect. Standard wear on the sides.

So far I have spent a ton on repainting the front and back bumper along with the hood and doing some paint correction. Got the wheels paint coated and fixed and put a new M logo on the back along with replacing the BMW emblem on the front. The front one was really worn down. My guess since it has after market carbon fiber shift paddles and H&R springs it was taken to the track.

I also had it tuned along with the 70k check-up and the DCT Flash software upgraded. So unlike some of the other M3's I test drove over the past couple of months, it is super fast and the DCT transmission is super quick.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52665.50