BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #67
Brosef
Colonel
United_States
30

 
Brosef's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago


Posts: 2,249
iTrader: (3)

wow, it's really come along way since I saw it last. can't wait to see video of this in action.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #68
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
56

 
VSmotorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schaumburg, IL


Posts: 1,633
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to VSmotorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
That looks fantastic. If you had to guess a ballpark of the cost to replicate?

-Martin
Thanks. The build would be about $30K but that would include most expensive parts, Roll Cage, Triple adjustable suspension ($7k), Aim Data ($3K), Beauty panels, painting the cage & interior, fire suppression system with an lines, Reacro Hans seat, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
looks good guys!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
So jealous, that is an awesome looking car. I'm surprised you were able to get it so light while not trying too hard since class rules have a min. weight anyway. Maybe one day...
Thanks we are very excited for this car! Weight wise it would be really fun to get it as light as we can but maybe in a few years if we run another class. We may have a re classification in SCCA next year and if it does happen this car will be a lot lighter. Around the 3,300 pound range with driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
wow, it's really come along way since I saw it last. can't wait to see video of this in action.
Thanks our first race is coming up soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #69
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
32

 
Martin_D's Avatar
 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC


Posts: 1,792
iTrader: (34)

$30k for all of that is not bad at all!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #70
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
199

 
mkPOTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 528I
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA


Posts: 15,624
iTrader: (23)

Garage List
do it
__________________

EVOLVE E600 BMW E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #71
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
56

 
VSmotorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schaumburg, IL


Posts: 1,633
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to VSmotorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
$30k for all of that is not bad at all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
do it
If you think how much the parts are 30k doesn't seem that bad. If we were to build this to a NASA GTS class I am sure we would choose different parts which would add up some of the cost higher for both labor and parts. But it can always be built in steps to help keep cost down.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #72
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States
164

 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors


Posts: 12,646
iTrader: (5)

not bad a lot of people are that deep into their DD on here.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #73
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
79

 
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan


Posts: 3,112
iTrader: (4)

how much does the car weight now?
__________________

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #74
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
56

 
VSmotorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schaumburg, IL


Posts: 1,633
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to VSmotorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
not bad a lot of people are that deep into their DD on here.
Most people are not but thought the community would like to see progress pictures of the build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
how much does the car weight now?
Haven't got an official weight yet but I would guess around 3,300lbs. We can post it up once we get it back on the scales.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #75
Richbot
Colonel
27

 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL


Posts: 2,067
iTrader: (2)

Man, I just got done looking through the May Fastrack that just got published, and Touring, especially T1 and T2, are going to be a pig's breakfast the way they've done it if they restructure it the way it is in Fastrack. Moving the E9x M3 to the same class as the 'vettes at only 100lbs less than the LS3 cars and more than 100lbs heavier than the LS2 cars means the M3 is DOA in class. Write letters early and often, I know I will.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #76
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
56

 
VSmotorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schaumburg, IL


Posts: 1,633
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to VSmotorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Man, I just got done looking through the May Fastrack that just got published, and Touring, especially T1 and T2, are going to be a pig's breakfast the way they've done it if they restructure it the way it is in Fastrack. Moving the E9x M3 to the same class as the 'vettes at only 100lbs less than the LS3 cars and more than 100lbs heavier than the LS2 cars means the M3 is DOA in class. Write letters early and often, I know I will.
Yea was looking through that letter and there would have to be some major work to get the E92 the parts to compete with the c6 vettes. Basically have to get it faster than the grand am M3's to be as fast as the C6. I think 2:23 around Road America was the front runner in T1.

I have been writing letters left and right about the E92 M3 now. Comparing it to the 5.0 mustang. I got a personal response back from one person agreeing with me that the E92 M3 should be on parity with the 5.0 mustang, so anything that car has, so should the e92. But that won't happen this year because the season already started.

BTW talked to Lex today and the suspension should go out tomorrow or Friday.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #77
Richbot
Colonel
27

 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL


Posts: 2,067
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSmotorsports View Post
Yea was looking through that letter and there would have to be some major work to get the E92 the parts to compete with the c6 vettes. Basically have to get it faster than the grand am M3's to be as fast as the C6. I think 2:23 around Road America was the front runner in T1.

I have been writing letters left and right about the E92 M3 now. Comparing it to the 5.0 mustang. I got a personal response back from one person agreeing with me that the E92 M3 should be on parity with the 5.0 mustang, so anything that car has, so should the e92. But that won't happen this year because the season already started.

BTW talked to Lex today and the suspension should go out tomorrow or Friday.
Yeah, I also thought it was interesting they proposed the LS3 Camaro in the "Class 1" at 3280lbs. What are the odds of that porker making weight?

I feel like they're moving towards an "SCCA Grand Am" parallel with Touring, with a "GS" analogue and an "ST" analogue but the problem is the 'vettes, vipers, and ferraris and porsches of the world are too damn fast for GS-style cars without turning them into lead sleds. I think a class like the current T1, for two-seat purebred sportscars and a class of jumped-up family cars and stick-axle barges like the M3 and Mustang, makes sense I thought that's what we had or at least where it was going but now I'm all kinds of confused

on the suspension. Where's that "money on fire" smilie?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #78
von_zoom
Captain
10

 
von_zoom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina


Posts: 915
iTrader: (0)

Can I ask a serious question -
Down and dirty - With the mods you have made, give or take, plus adding a right hand seat. can the car be made to be street legal? Probably need to call you due to the puts and takes.
Thanks
vz
__________________


Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #79
paradocs98
Major
United_States
29

 
paradocs98's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY


Posts: 1,347
iTrader: (0)

Congrats on a great-looking build. It's going to be fun to see E9X's turned into track cars in the coming years as prices come down. I just saw an E92 M3 track car at New Jersey Motorsports Park last weekend, built by VAC of Philadephia. Also looked great.

One question--why is the ride height so high in the Autobahn CC paddock picture?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #80
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
56

 
VSmotorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schaumburg, IL


Posts: 1,633
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to VSmotorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Yeah, I also thought it was interesting they proposed the LS3 Camaro in the "Class 1" at 3280lbs. What are the odds of that porker making weight?

I feel like they're moving towards an "SCCA Grand Am" parallel with Touring, with a "GS" analogue and an "ST" analogue but the problem is the 'vettes, vipers, and ferraris and porsches of the world are too damn fast for GS-style cars without turning them into lead sleds. I think a class like the current T1, for two-seat purebred sportscars and a class of jumped-up family cars and stick-axle barges like the M3 and Mustang, makes sense I thought that's what we had or at least where it was going but now I'm all kinds of confused

on the suspension. Where's that "money on fire" smilie?

Yea I'm not to sure where it is headed. We will have to take some time here to come up with a game plan of what we want in our class, so we can send our letter in. Stinks to build a new car then play all the games to get the parts that it should have had already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Can I ask a serious question -
Down and dirty - With the mods you have made, give or take, plus adding a right hand seat. can the car be made to be street legal? Probably need to call you due to the puts and takes.
Thanks
vz
Technically it would not be street legal. With solid bars all around by your head it would not be safe without a helmet. It would be best just to have a half cage for the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Congrats on a great-looking build. It's going to be fun to see E9X's turned into track cars in the coming years as prices come down. I just saw an E92 M3 track car at New Jersey Motorsports Park last weekend, built by VAC of Philadephia. Also looked great.

One question--why is the ride height so high in the Autobahn CC paddock picture?
Thanks we are really looking forward to racing this in some wheel to wheel competition.

In our class we have to use stock springs. PLus we are running the JRZ triples on top of that. So when we add the higher pressure into the canisters it also raises the car a little.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #81
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
56

 
VSmotorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schaumburg, IL


Posts: 1,633
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to VSmotorsports
Coming into our first race in our newly built E92 M3 for SCCA T2 class we were not sure how this big heavy car ( raced at 3,800lbs) would last at a tighter technical track like blackhawk. Especially when we are using stock springs, sway bars, brakes (upgraded pads, fluid, and lines) and the alignment only with a max of -1.3 camber front and rear. Kris Von Sydow owner of VS Motorsports and driver was able to get some great lap times in during qualifying. The best lap was a 1:17.4 which is only .1 off the track record. That put us third in position at the starting of the race.

During the race Kris was able to move right up to second where he stayed for about 3/4 of the race. However little by little the weight started to take its toll and Kris finished the race in 3rd. It was exciting to watch Kris battle it out while controlling the 3,800lb pig around the track. This was also our first race with the BFGoodrich R1 S tire, which we were very impressed how fast we were with these tires and how they handled the abuse from the heavy car. We now have our replacement tire that we feel is better than the Hoosier A6!
















Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #82
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
56

 
VSmotorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schaumburg, IL


Posts: 1,633
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to VSmotorsports
After this first race we decided to make the move to NASA GTS-4. This is a better move for us to have fun with the car and be able to race where most our customers are at. The change is going to be exciting since we got to modify the E92 M3 the way we wanted to.

Here are some pictures installing some of our new mods, with much more to come.







Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #83
lukester
Second Lieutenant
Germany
11

 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Munich, Germany


Posts: 269
iTrader: (0)

awesome!
please post more pics of the new mods for the GTS-4 class.

by the way....love the new Hotchkis arms!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #84
flipm3
E46 + E90
Philippines
43

 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois


Posts: 2,781
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukester View Post
awesome!
please post more pics of the new mods for the GTS-4 class.

by the way....love the new Hotchkis arms!
I stopped by VS Motorsports the other day to get some work done on my own car. I was able to snap some random shots throughout the day.


VS Motorsports E92 M3 Race Car


E92 M3 Subframe...BEEFY!


E92 M3 JRZ 3Way Rear Damper








VS Motorsports representing on their own roll cage












__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #85
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
56

 
VSmotorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schaumburg, IL


Posts: 1,633
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to VSmotorsports
Some teasers of goodies we just purchased.



Active Aero!!



Triple Adjustable!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #86
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
56

 
VSmotorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schaumburg, IL


Posts: 1,633
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to VSmotorsports
Some more goodies came in this morning! We have our first race in NASA GTS-4 this weekend so all these parts are coming in just in time. Plus the aero motions wing should be in on Friday!

Below are the triple adjustable Motion Control Suspension along with the Front Brembo GTR Kit in 365mm. Can't wait to get this car on track. For this race we will have our AIM smarty cam hooked up for some race footage.

Also for anyone interested we are a Motion Control and Brembo Dealer.







Last edited by VSmotorsports; 06-05-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #87
Porschefile
Major
16

 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee


Posts: 1,233
iTrader: (6)

Awesome, very interested in what you think of the active wing after testing. They are supposed to be really effective.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #88
flipm3
E46 + E90
Philippines
43

 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois


Posts: 2,781
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
This is one high budget build. I love it!
__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST