BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #89
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel
35

 
Drives: I Can not say
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: you must not know


Posts: 1,940
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Has anyone had an intruder and had to use there weapon?(either for threat or use?)
yes and no, a few years ago a buddy of mine was renting a room from me. One warm summer night we had the windows open (I know it sounds like gay porn so far) and we went to our respective bedrooms, at some ungodly hour a loud crashing sound woke us both up. I headed down the stairs with my glock 31 and him a couple steps behind. Turns out the wind had blown a baking sheet over.

I almost died laughing when I saw his weapon of choice, an 8" long BBQ igniter.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #90
justinnum1
Brigadier General
61

 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida


Posts: 4,005
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
yes and no, a few years ago a buddy of mine was renting a room from me. One warm summer night we had the windows open (I know it sounds like gay porn so far) and we went to our respective bedrooms, at some ungodly hour a loud crashing sound woke us both up. I headed down the stairs with my glock 31 and him a couple steps behind. Turns out the wind had blown a baking sheet over.

I almost died laughing when I saw his weapon of choice, an 8" long BBQ igniter.
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #91
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
222

 
CollinsE90's Avatar
 
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: street corner checking profits


Posts: 1,927
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Has anyone had an intruder and had to use there weapon?(either for threat or use?)
yes and no, a few years ago a buddy of mine was renting a room from me. One warm summer night we had the windows open (I know it sounds like gay porn so far) and we went to our respective bedrooms, at some ungodly hour a loud crashing sound woke us both up. I headed down the stairs with my glock 31 and him a couple steps behind. Turns out the wind had blown a baking sheet over.

I almost died laughing when I saw his weapon of choice, an 8" long BBQ igniter.
Hahahahagahahagahaga
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #92
immiketoo
Colonel
70

 
immiketoo's Avatar
 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs


Posts: 2,873
iTrader: (0)

Hey, he was going to light the intruder on fire after you lit him up!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #93
ybbiz34
Moderator
172

 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA


Posts: 4,686
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Again, you highlight your failure in reading comprehension. Like I said, I took it to the indoor range out of convenience and to break in the barrel, I'm starting to wonder if you have a disability where you can't finish reading an entire sentence.
That's not a failure in reading comprehension. You said you took it to an indoor range and commented about your group size at 51 feet, shot from a rest. What did I miss there? What does breaking in the barrel have to do with indoor/outdoor or distance? Maybe round count is a factor for break-in. I won't speak about proper M1 break-in because I don't know a lick about it.

Calm yourself, son.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #94
ybbiz34
Moderator
172

 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA


Posts: 4,686
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I drove 5800 miles round trip to go to Oregon to attend Clint's class. It was worth every penny and I would do it again in a heart beat! You should do the same.
Oh my damn! Yeah that'd be quite the drive from the Hoosier state here. As I mentioned earlier, looking to take Costa's class in OH this summer.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #95
immiketoo
Colonel
70

 
immiketoo's Avatar
 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs


Posts: 2,873
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Oh my damn! Yeah that'd be quite the drive from the Hoosier state here. As I mentioned earlier, looking to take Costa's class in OH this summer.
Well I love the road trip! I stayed in a casino in Winnemucca (sp) NV for 43 dollars, drove out to Bonneville and saw some sights on the way. Shot for three days and had an incredible time. I was exhausted at the end of each day but the learning environment was outstanding. Immersion is the BEST way to improve!
Attached Images
     
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #96
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
222

 
CollinsE90's Avatar
 
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: street corner checking profits


Posts: 1,927
iTrader: (0)

You look like a hit man/terrorist/casino robber/mass murderer with that stuff in your hotel room lol
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #97
O-cha
Brigadier General
81

 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you


Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
That's not a failure in reading comprehension. You said you took it to an indoor range and commented about your group size at 51 feet, shot from a rest. What did I miss there? What does breaking in the barrel have to do with indoor/outdoor or distance? Maybe round count is a factor for break-in. I won't speak about proper M1 break-in because I don't know a lick about it.

Calm yourself, son.
The indoor range is convenient, I'm not going to drive an hour to shoot 10 rounds and go home. Someone asked if it was accurate I said the indoor range is only 51 feet, so it's not an appropriate judge. You failed to get that because you can't read.

You apparently thought I was bragging about a grouping at 51 feet with a rifle that's good well past 1000 feet, that was a pretty dumb assumption on your part.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #98
ybbiz34
Moderator
172

 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA


Posts: 4,686
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Well I love the road trip! I stayed in a casino in Winnemucca (sp) NV for 43 dollars, drove out to Bonneville and saw some sights on the way. Shot for three days and had an incredible time. I was exhausted at the end of each day but the learning environment was outstanding. Immersion is the BEST way to improve!
That looks like an incredible trip man. How many rounds did you burn through? You had some serious ordinance on that bed haha! I think I just need to sack up, bite the bullet, and make the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
The indoor range is convenient, I'm not going to drive an hour to shoot 10 rounds and go home. Someone asked if it was accurate I said the indoor range is only 51 feet, so it's not an appropriate judge. You failed to get that because you can't read.

You apparently thought I was bragging about a grouping at 51 feet with a rifle that's good well past 1000 feet, that was a pretty dumb assumption on your part.
Listen man, I really don't care at this point haha. Can you only shoot 10 rounds through an M1 barrel first time out? I'm asking because I just don't know enough about the rifle. With my AR it was buy it, shoot the shit out of it. You just want to shake hands and forget about this shit?
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #99
O-cha
Brigadier General
81

 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you


Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Listen man, I really don't care at this point haha. Can you only shoot 10 rounds through an M1 barrel first time out? I'm asking because I just don't know enough about the rifle. With my AR it was buy it, shoot the shit out of it. You just want to shake hands and forget about this shit?
There's several schools of thought in barrel break in, some people only shoot a single round and clean it completely for 10-20 rounds, some people just shoot the hell out of them out of the wrapper, I'm somewhere in between.

Plenty of people do the same with ARs.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #100
Fredds112
New Member
United_States
1

 
Fredds112's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 135i, 2006 330CI
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas


Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

Collins, did you ever pull the trigger on buying a gun? (pun intended)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #101
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
222

 
CollinsE90's Avatar
 
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: street corner checking profits


Posts: 1,927
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredds112 View Post
Collins, did you ever pull the trigger on buying a gun? (pun intended)
In the next few weeks I will, I'll update the handgun thread when I do.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #102
immiketoo
Colonel
70

 
immiketoo's Avatar
 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs


Posts: 2,873
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
You look like a hit man/terrorist/casino robber/mass murderer with that stuff in your hotel room lol
I felt like one loading all that shit into the room. Needles to say, the do not disturb sign was on the door

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
That looks like an incredible trip man. How many rounds did you burn through? You had some serious ordinance on that bed haha! I think I just need to sack up, bite the bullet, and make the trip.

Over 1000 rounds in three days!

Listen man, I really don't care at this point haha. Can you only shoot 10 rounds through an M1 barrel first time out? I'm asking because I just don't know enough about the rifle. With my AR it was buy it, shoot the shit out of it. You just want to shake hands and forget about this shit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
There's several schools of thought in barrel break in, some people only shoot a single round and clean it completely for 10-20 rounds, some people just shoot the hell out of them out of the wrapper, I'm somewhere in between.

Plenty of people do the same with ARs.
Why not clean it at the range after it cools and finish the break in period. Going to the range for only 10 rounds is a waste of time.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #103
O-cha
Brigadier General
81

 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you


Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Why not clean it at the range after it cools and finish the break in period. Going to the range for only 10 rounds is a waste of time.
I agree, that's why I shot 10 rounds then took out my carry pistol for practice. Can't clean an M1 at a range, you have to sit in front of the muzzle to do it, no ranges I go to let you do that there, plus I'm not going to haul all my cleaning gear there and pay by the hour to clean it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #104
immiketoo
Colonel
70

 
immiketoo's Avatar
 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs


Posts: 2,873
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I agree, that's why I shot 10 rounds then took out my carry pistol for practice. Can't clean an M1 at a range, you have to sit in front of the muzzle to do it, no ranges I go to let you do that there, plus I'm not going to haul all my cleaning gear there and pay by the hour to clean it.
I meant at the outdoor. That's what they are for. And yes, I know a thing to two about breaking in a precision rifle Springfield Armory or Fulton Armory? Or did you do like I did and get a CMP gun re-barrelled with Kreiger and have it glass bedded?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #105
O-cha
Brigadier General
81

 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you


Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I meant at the outdoor. That's what they are for. And yes, I know a thing to two about breaking in a precision rifle Springfield Armory or Fulton Armory? Or did you do like I did and get a CMP gun re-barrelled with Kreiger and have it glass bedded?
Outdoor ranges here wouldn't let you do it either, and the closest is an hour away. I just got the CMP special, it has a centurion barrel, might not warrant a crazy break in, but can't hurt.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 02:52 AM   #106
immiketoo
Colonel
70

 
immiketoo's Avatar
 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs


Posts: 2,873
iTrader: (0)

You got an unfired CMP? Strange. I thought they were all used in some fashion. Still a sweet gun!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #107
O-cha
Brigadier General
81

 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you


Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
You got an unfired CMP? Strange. I thought they were all used in some fashion. Still a sweet gun!
CMP specials are re-barreled with centution barrels (kreiger subsidiary), new walnut stocks, and re packerized. As new of an m1 as you can buy basically. Of course it's still tested before being shipped.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #108
Draven
Top Droppin'
2

 
Draven's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 e93
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Merrimack, NH


Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Has anyone had an intruder and had to use there weapon?(either for threat or use?)
2 situations I've been in where having a weapon would have or did help.

1st one I wasn't armed at the time. 2 years ago. Friend of mine got out of work 2nd shift, and we met up for a beer. stayed for 2 hours chatting, only had 2 beers each. We walked out, and were followed out of the bar. I'm 5'3 165lb 10%BF at the time (short guy, but decent build). My buddy is 5'10 195. Guy who followed us was 6'6 245. Looked like a pro football player.

Buddy and I were both parked on a side street, same street. We took the turn down the street, and I went to put the top down via remote on my e93. He told me not to. I clued into what was going on. He was parked further down. I opened my door, stood next to the car, and closed it like I'd gotten in. I watched him being followed by this guy, guy sped up and got to within 5 steps behind him when I called out "Hey man, you following me out?" When he heard my voice, the other guy immediately crossed the street, pulled out his phone, and walked back the EXACT same way he'd been walking, up past me. If I hadn't said anything, my buddy would've been carjacked at least and at worst dead. He and I bought had weapons and CC permits 4 weeks later.

2nd time, I live in a very quiet neighborhood. I was actually cleaning my weapon after a range trip. I'd finished about 2 minutes before a knock came at the door, 10:30pm. I have a screen door thats locked, with a window pane on bottom. Since I happened to have it on me, I wasn't expecting anyone, and it was late, I kept my weapon with me in hand just behind my leg. The conversation went like this when I opened the door:

*opened outside door, screen door still locked. Two guys standing on my front stairs, one behind the other kind of scanning neighborhood.*

Me: "What can I do for you?"

*closer guy immediately, calmly tries the door handle as he speaks*

"Our car broke down, can we use your phone?"

Me: "Let me call AAA for you."

*I take my phone out and call the non-emergency police dispatch*

"No, it's ok, we just want to call a friend" *tries the door again, a little more forcefully*

Me: "No, it's ok, I have AAA right on the phone."

"Seriously, we just want to call our friend"

*I slide the weapon from behind my leg and tap the glass on the lower part of the door. The closer guy doesn't see this, but the guy standing behind him sees it and immediately says "You know what, I think my cell phone is at the car. We'll call from there."

All the while, the police have heard this conversation and I've given them my address as if they're AAA. The first guy finally catches on to what the second guy was saying, and they walk away from my house and down the street. 2 minutes later, a cruiser shows up at my house. I detail my experience exactly like I've done here. I tell them I know it's technically illegal to brandish a firearm but that I felt threatened and it neutralized the situation before the guy came through the door. The officer said that I was right, it was illegal but given the circumstances he understood and wouldn't cite me if the people didn't press charges. FWIW, he and another cruiser searched my entire area and didn't find a broken down car or the two guys I described. I'm the only house without a dog and I live alone so they probably had cased my neighborhood and thought I'd be an easy mark.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #109
NYC6
Banned
United_States
28

 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY


Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

You handled it a little different than me. The first time he tried to open the door would have been it. Conversation ends there.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #110
Draven
Top Droppin'
2

 
Draven's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 e93
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Merrimack, NH


Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
You handled it a little different than me. The first time he tried to open the door would have been it. Conversation ends there.
Round chambered, safety on, but I can disable it one hand as I bring the weapon up for aiming. I do it from my holster at the range so I'm pretty good at it.

I figured best case they actually needed help and drawing a weapon on them was wrong. Worst case, they were coming through the door anyway and I was prepared. Even that said, I didn't really think this through as it was happening, I was just kind of going with the flow of the situation as it was quickly unfolding.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST