BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
zeenon53
Major
 
zeenon53's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: obx

Posts: 1,062
iTrader: (3)

Tips for buying first gun?

I've noticed that there are a few gun owners on this bored, all of which know more than me. I've been wanting to buy a gun for a long time and went shooting with a friend and the wife for the first time before x-mas. After thinking it over for a while I still want one, and the wife is on board.

In NC I can pretty much walk into the shop, fill out paperwork, and walk out with a rifle. I already have the paperwork to get my handgun permit but figured I would start off with a rifle. That leads me to either an AK-47 or AR-15. My main concerns are reliability and ease of use. What is the best way to go about buying a gun? There is only one gun store within an hour of me so they pretty much set the bar. I want to make sure i'm getting a good deal.
zeenon53 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Express
Major General
 
Express's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

Posts: 8,701
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
pretty sure your first gun should not be an AR or an AK.

you have a little bit of learning to do.
Express is offline   Israel
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
CamelBiscuit
Banned
 
Drives: 11 E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 702

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [5.00]
If it was me---- AR-15. Hands down.
CamelBiscuit is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Fredds112
New Member
 
Fredds112's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 135i, 2006 330CI
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

First gun I bought when i turned 18 was an AR15.

While I may not agree with havequick on football teams I do agree with him on this one. All you really have to choose is whether you want a Direct Impingement or Piston AR. After you do that, there is an infinite amount of aftermarket things that you can do to it, if you want.
Fredds112 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
CamelBiscuit
Banned
 
Drives: 11 E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 702

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredds112 View Post
First gun I bought when i turned 18 was an AR15.

While I may not agree with havequick on football teams I do agree with him on this one. All you really have to choose is whether you want a Direct Impingement or Piston AR. After you do that, there is an infinite amount of aftermarket things that you can do to it, if you want.
I'm a pats fan. I lost a bet.
CamelBiscuit is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
E90SoFlo
Banned
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Naples, FL

Posts: 2,675
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
pretty sure your first gun should not be an AR or an AK.

you have a little bit of learning to do.
why?
E90SoFlo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
 
ChaneRZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California

Posts: 2,507
iTrader: (0)

Just get an AR, AK , and handgun. That's what I did.


__________________

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
ChaneRZ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
 
Gregxi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330xi 6mt
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: On the crapper

Posts: 336
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveQuick View Post
I'm a Giants fan. I love a Eli.
fify
Gregxi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
CamelBiscuit
Banned
 
Drives: 11 E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 702

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregxi View Post
fify
Not cool Greg.
CamelBiscuit is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
CamelBiscuit
Banned
 
Drives: 11 E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 702

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaneRZ View Post
Just get an AR, AK , and handgun. That's what I did.


Holy crap red dawn!!!
CamelBiscuit is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
Redcapote
Private
 
Redcapote's Avatar
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Florida

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

New member here, but have owned a variety of firearms, am ex-military, and have had a FL Concealed Weapons permit.

The question that may be most important is what do you want this firearm for? Do you want it for home protection? Do you want it just to take to the range and have fun? Do you want something more focused on long-range accuracy because you have a long-distance range close to home?

Ammunition after about 2004 started to climb in price to pretty much double in price by 2008. So if you're going for home protection to protect your family, nothing beats a 12 gauge shotgun. If you could only have one firearm for your home, without a doubt a 12 gauge is best for a variety of reasons (such as, a .223 round out of an AR-15 will travel through walls more than you want for legal implication reasons). If you want my recommendation on a concealed carry handgun, I'm very much a fan of the Walther PPS 9mm. And I've had lots of Glocks, when I discovered the Walther I never went back to a Glock. If you want the best ammunition in a handgun, go to Double Tap Ammo. If you want the best ammunition (accuracy-wise) in an AR-15, go Federal Match. Noveske makes the highest quality AR's in the world. You'll pay, but it's the M5 of AR's. Most importantly, if this is your first firearm, learn the laws, pay for some training, be safe, and remember it's always loaded. It's always loaded. It's ALWAYS loaded. Train your wife, train your kids when/if you have them.
Redcapote is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
CamelBiscuit
Banned
 
Drives: 11 E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 702

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcapote View Post
New member here, but have owned a variety of firearms, am ex-military, and have had a FL Concealed Weapons permit.

The question that may be most important is what do you want this firearm for? Do you want it for home protection? Do you want it just to take to the range and have fun? Do you want something more focused on long-range accuracy because you have a long-distance range close to home?

Ammunition after about 2004 started to climb in price to pretty much double in price by 2008. So if you're going for home protection to protect your family, nothing beats a 12 gauge shotgun. If you could only have one firearm for your home, without a doubt a 12 gauge is best for a variety of reasons (such as, a .223 round out of an AR-15 will travel through walls more than you want for legal implication reasons). If you want my recommendation on a concealed carry handgun, I'm very much a fan of the Walther PPS 9mm. And I've had lots of Glocks, when I discovered the Walther I never went back to a Glock. If you want the best ammunition in a handgun, go to Double Tap Ammo. If you want the best ammunition (accuracy-wise) in an AR-15, go Federal Match. Noveske makes the highest quality AR's in the world. You'll pay, but it's the M5 of AR's. Most importantly, if this is your first firearm, learn the laws, pay for some training, be safe, and remember it's always loaded. It's always loaded. It's ALWAYS loaded. Train your wife, train your kids when/if you have them.
Hide your wife hide your kids.
CamelBiscuit is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
zeenon53
Major
 
zeenon53's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: obx

Posts: 1,062
iTrader: (3)

Eventually I plan on having a nice collection of all sorts of guns. The main purpose of my first gun will be for home protection and taking to the range for fun.
zeenon53 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
miiipilot
Captain
 
miiipilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 TiAg 135i 6mt M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 787
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeenon53 View Post
The main purpose of my first gun will be for home protection and taking to the range for fun.
Do you have access to an outdoor range or gun club or a lot of land?

The reason why I ask is if you are getting a rifle, you will not fully enjoy a higher caliber rifle (.22LR is fun indoors) if you don't have access to an outdoor range.

I was looking for a rifle. Wanted a few: PS90, Steyr Aug, MSAR STG, 552 or SCAR.

Im in Cleveland, OH and I cannot find an outdoor range within 25 miles. And the indoor ranges are all small except for 1 place. However they are just 25 yards and only allow you to have 1 round in the mag at a time.

And a .223/5.56 or 7.62/.308 wouldn't be too difficult at 25yds

Start with a pistol. You will get more use.

I bought a SIG 522 for plinking. It's cheap and fun.
__________________
miiipilot 2011 135i TiAg w/Black Boston 6mt M-Sport, Premium Pkg, Value Pkg
miiipilot is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
zeenon53
Major
 
zeenon53's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: obx

Posts: 1,062
iTrader: (3)

There is an outdoor range close to me. There is also the local gun club.
zeenon53 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #16
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
 
ChaneRZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California

Posts: 2,507
iTrader: (0)

Home protection should be handgun or shotgun. Using a rifle is not recommended because of over penetration and that thing will be loud!
__________________

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
ChaneRZ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
EINSER M
Major General
 
EINSER M's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E82 1M
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 34.1064° N, 117.5922° W, 300m altitude

Posts: 5,368
iTrader: (38)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to EINSER M Send a message via MSN to EINSER M Send a message via Yahoo to EINSER M
handgun first then AR15!
__________________
THE EINSER M BUILD
CLICK HERE: EINSER M BUILD

EINSER M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #18
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 4,765
iTrader: (0)

what he said^ (.40 Sig P226 E2 like I'm doing)
TK-421 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #19
O-cha
Brigadier General
 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
I fail to see the draw of AKs and ar15s without full auto. They are just semi auto rifles with small bullets. If you want a semi auto rifle, buy something cool, like an M1.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640752
__________________
O-cha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #20
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,644
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I fail to see the draw of AKs and ar15s without full auto. They are just semi auto rifles with small bullets. If you want a semi auto rifle, buy something cool, like an M1.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640752
Could not disagree more (re: the AK and AR). M1s are fine.

Full auto is more about "fun" than utility (for us civilians). Anyone who knows anything about guns knows that full auto has a limited purpose, and I'll give you a hint, it's not precision shooting.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #21
O-cha
Brigadier General
 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Could not disagree more (re: the AK and AR). M1s are fine.

Full auto is more about "fun" than utility (for us civilians). Anyone who knows anything about guns knows that full auto has a limited purpose, and I'll give you a hint, it's not precision shooting.
No shit full autos for fun, so is buying a semi auto rifle, you can't use them for hunting, they have no "utility" either. So why buy an ak or ar15 that shoots little baby rounds, that's boring as hell.

Might as well get something with a little style and oomf.
__________________
O-cha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #22
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
No shit full autos for fun, so is buying a semi auto rifle, you can't use them for hunting, they have no "utility" either. So why buy an ak or ar15 that shoots little baby rounds, that's boring as hell.

Might as well get something with a little style and oomf.
You'll go poor from shooting an M1 for fun.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST