BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

01-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
IrishCoffee
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '11 E92 M3, '14 328i, '14 1LE

iPod Issue - High Pitch Beep Then Turns Off

Hi Guys

I have searched for this issue, but have only found people talking about their iPod locking up on them. Not sure if this is the same thing or not.

I have a 30 GB iPod classic 5th Generation. It has always worked well in my previous car. Never had an issue.

The problem I've been having in my 2011 E92 is as follows: When I start the car the music from the iPod starts playing. It plays for anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute then randomly a very high pitched beep will sound from the stereo and the music stops. The radio then comes on and I notice that the car appears to be searching for the iPod. Eventually it finds it and I can then start playing the iPod again. I'd say this happens about 1 out of every 5 times I start the car. It doesn't happen after being in the car for an extended period... just on start up.

I use the white iPod cable to connect it.

Anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
IrishCoffee
First Lieutenant
Rep

This is driving me crazy... no one else has this problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Car_Girl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 BMW X5 xDrive 5.0i

I don't have this problem but I have a suggestion on what it might be.

Maybe the iPod port on your iPod is worn and losing connection while you're listening to music through the player? If the system loses connectivity, it'll have to wait until it re-gains connection to play again. Since the player will play music and then shut off at a random amount of time after start-up, this makes me suspect a connection issue.

You might not be able to see the connection on your port degrading over time but contacts will wear after a while.

If you have a friend who has a player, try plugging it in and seeing if the music will play without problems. If the same problem exists, then it's in the car side, not the player side of the system. The car connector could be bad at a number of places in this case.

Given that not a lot of people are having the same issue, it could be only your system with this specific issue. The next time you plug the player in, see what happens if you wiggle it a little - not too much because you can do damage to your device or the cable connector but give it a gentle tap near the connector and see if the device goes 'mute' on your or comes back if it's already muted.

Good luck figuring out what's going on! These issues can take a while to figure out but if you grab another player and see if the same problem exists, that can help eliminate where the problem might be.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
IrishCoffee
First Lieutenant
Rep

I considered that too, but it doesn't explain why this only happens within about 2 minutes of car start. Then the iPod reconnects itself within another 2 minutes.

This never randomly happens while driving around, only after the car was started. If it was the connector I would assume it would happen randomly while driving. Very strange.

I updated my iPod software a couple days ago thinking that maybe it needed the latest update... no dice. Still did it just yesterday.
Appreciate 0