BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-22-2007, 12:54 AM   #1
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

M3 single piston caliper brakes, 135i multi piston calipers

This is BMW's press release for the 135i:

M-inspired performance for the 135i Coupe

The 135i Coupe offers more performance and a striking look thanks to M-inspired components. Features include an Aero kit for additional downforce at speed, better brake cooling and enhanced aesthetics while the Sports Suspension offers higher traction and reduced body roll with 18-inch wheels and performance tires. The Sports Suspension also includes with a high-performance brake system incorporating six-piston fixed calipers on the front and two-piston fixed calipers at the rear.

Isn't this ironic? Maybe the 135i will inspire the the M division. I know the M3 will have excellent stopping distances. However, IMO stopping distances are vastly overated and don't mean much on the track when brake fade sets in with the 3600 lb M3 misile after a few laps, due to a lack of multi piston calipers to better distribute the heat. The true test of brakes is if they remain fade free even when punished lap after lap ala Porsche and maybe even the 135i.

Last edited by ruff; 07-22-2007 at 01:13 AM.
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 12:59 AM   #2
Robert
Major General
 
Drives: 135i, current is350
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Socal

Posts: 6,869
iTrader: (1)

They have been testing the M3 on the ring for quite awhile. I really don't think they will overlook brake fade.
Robert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 01:00 AM   #3
Venky
New Member
 
Drives: E46
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Omaha, NE

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

This topic has been beaten to death on Bimmerfest. I will definitely wait for reviews and will pull the tirgger only after I test drive myself. If not an E46 M3 ZCP seems much better option to me.
Venky is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 01:04 AM   #4
swamp2
Major General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 9,594
iTrader: (1)

Not exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
M-inspired performance for the 135i Coupe

The 135i Coupe offers more performance and a striking look thanks to M-inspired components. Features include an Aero kit for additional downforce at speed, better brake cooling and enhanced aesthetics while the Sports Suspension offers higher traction and reduced body roll with 18-inch wheels and performance tires. The Sports Suspension also includes with a high-performance brake system incorporating six-piston fixed calipers on the front and two-piston fixed calipers at the rear.

Isn't this ironic? Maybe 135 will inspire the the M division. I know the M3 will have excellent stopping distances. However, IMO stopping distances are vastly overated and don't mean much on the track when brake fade sets in with the 3600 lb misile M3 after a few laps, due to a lack of multi piston calipers to better distribute the heat. The true test of brakes is if they remain fade free even when punished lap after lap ala Porsche and maybe even the 135i.
Multi-piston brakes are a bit overhyped. I totally agree that BMW has had some models with sub-par brakes in the past (although my E36 with euro rotors, stock pads and stainless lines will take massive abuse with no problems). The real issue is cooling and secondarily brake rotor mass and diameter, last brake caliper mass. You need the diameter for torque, the masses for themal "mass" and the cooling is the real key. Multi-piston units are more important for aircraft setups where the calipers are 360 degrees all around the entire rotor. I have heard good and bad thus far about the M3 brakes, I think the jury is still out. However, the front end does look like it can route some serious air flow to the front brakes.

I also don't think stopping distance is overrated. It depends to some extent on the track: a 100km/h - 0 stopping distance is oubviously more important in something like auto-X as opposed to real track work. Braking distance says some important things about your chassis, suspension, tires and brakes! Stopping distance obviously means squat though if you have a fade problem.

All that being said I can't say I would not like giant multi-piston calipers on the M3, but if the brakes perform that is clearly much more important than their looks.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 01:09 AM   #5
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Swamp,
Why do you think the 135i is going with multi piston?
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 01:12 AM   #6
swamp2
Major General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 9,594
iTrader: (1)

Uhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Swamp,
Why do you think the 135i is going with multi piston?
Because it is really lightweight and slower than the M3
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #7
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Because it is really lightweight and slower than the M3
Being that you are one of the higher ups in the M division, I guess I should expect the company response.
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 01:25 AM   #8
swamp2
Major General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 9,594
iTrader: (1)

Come on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Being that you are one of the higher ups in the M division, I guess I should expect the company response.
Come on, stop it with that

Really I don't know why, may be a bit for performance and may be a bit to "keep up with the Jones' ".
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 05:11 AM   #9
Steved
Lieutenant
 
Steved's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England

Posts: 502
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Swamp,
Why do you think the 135i is going with multi piston?
Seen this, and they were Brembo calipers. I was surprised and wondered if this implied BMW would change the M3 to a fixed (rather than sliding) caliper, but they didn't.

Here is a picture of the M3's from our test in Marbella

Steved is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
 
The CSL's Avatar
 
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Plymouth, UK

Posts: 660
iTrader: (0)

Great picture, Steved.
__________________
The CSL is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #11
LandShark
Got ///M??
 
LandShark's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' M3, 08' 335xi, 06' LR3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maryland, USA

Posts: 108
iTrader: (0)

the braking performance is NOT depends on how many piston a caliper has! also, the stock BMW brakes, even tho isn't the best, but they are not bad at all!! just give it a good set of race pads, and you will be fine!! don't believe me? see a pic that a track side photographer took a couple years ago for me. pay attention to the front disc!! it's 100% non photoshop'ed btw!!



I was just running euro rotor w/ a set of Hawks HT-10, and all day long I have no problem w/ the brakes at the track!

well, I must confessed at the end, I did eventually swap to a set of brembos tho. but main reason is b/c I got it at a very good price!



__________________
His: Previously -> 86' 325es, 89' M3, 90' M3, 95' M3, 98' M Roadster, 03' M3 || Currently -> 08' M3
Hers: Previously -> 04' X3, 04' 330cic || Currently -> 08' 335xi coupe

BMWCCA New Jersey Chapter Instructor || Member since 1996
LandShark is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #12
ward
Major General
 
Drives: F
Join Date: May 2005
Location: T

Posts: 6,162
iTrader: (0)

I love people who think the only factor in brake performance is the number of pistons in the caliper
ward is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
I love people who think the only factor in brake performance is the number of pistons in the caliper
Oh ya, I forget, you are pleased the M division went with the single pots. Now you can enjoy the essence and aroma of your scorched premium track pads, sitting behind the wall of the track, while underpowered Cayman's and the like fly by lap after lap on standard brakes. It's simple physics, multi pots distribute heat better and more evenly than single pots. But you don't believe this because you know BMW has better brakes than Porsche as evidenced by their superior braking performance at the track, right?
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 01:11 PM   #14
///Murdock
Private
 
Drives: 06 M5, 04 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BOS, USA

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

those brakes look beasty as FVCK! screw all the haters... u guys r noobs
///Murdock is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #15
swamp2
Major General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 9,594
iTrader: (1)

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Oh ya, I forget, you are pleased the M division went with the single pots. Now you can enjoy the essence and aroma of your scorched premium track pads, sitting behind the wall of the track, while underpowered Cayman's and the like fly by lap after lap on standard brakes. It's simple physics, multi pots distribute heat better and more evenly than single pots. But you don't believe this because you know BMW has better brakes than Porsche as evidenced by their superior braking performance at the track, right?
You do have a point multi-piston units can have more surface area mating the heat generation zones with the brake fluid. Hoewever this is mitigated if the single piston deisgn uses large pistons and I have seen some very small multi-piston design brakes. So until one measures the piston area and compares this is an advantage "on paper".

Also your post is very presumptive that the new car WILL have MASSIVE brake problems. ASS U ME...

I never stated nor argued that BMWs have better brakes than P-cars, nor did I say they would outperform at a track, period. P ceramic systems are quite phenomenal on all fonts, performance hot and cold, fade, wear and even cosmetic isues such as looks and brake dust. I only pointed out that thus far some stopping distances are superior for the M3 and for a much heavier car this is significant.

BTW which part of this did you miss
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I can't say I would not like giant multi-piston calipers on the M3
Cheers.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #16
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
You do have a point multi-piston units can have more surface area mating the heat generation zones with the brake fluid. Hoewever this is mitigated if the single piston deisgn uses large pistons and I have seen some very small multi-piston design brakes. So until one measures the piston area and compares this is an advantage "on paper".

Also your post is very presumptive that the new car WILL have MASSIVE brake problems. ASS U ME...

I never stated nor argued that BMWs have better brakes than P-cars, nor did I say they would outperform at a track, period. P ceramic systems are quite phenomenal on all fonts, performance hot and cold, fade, wear and even cosmetic isues such as looks and brake dust. I only pointed out that thus far some stopping distances are superior for the M3 and for a much heavier car this is significant.

BTW which part of this did you miss

Cheers.
Swamp, I was only responding to Ward's delightful comments with some over zealous statements to try and make a point with him.
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #17
swamp2
Major General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 9,594
iTrader: (1)

Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Swamp, I was only responding to Ward's delightful comments with some over zealous statements to try and make a point with him.
Ugh, my bad. I thought your reply was quoting me for some reason. Blurry eyes from some good tequila last night maybe... na, just careless misreading. Sorry about that.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #18
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Ugh, my bad. I thought your reply was quoting me for some reason. Blurry eyes from some good tequila last night maybe... na, just careless misreading. Sorry about that.
All good, just keep up the good work on developing that new DCT tranny.
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #19
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,728
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
All good, just keep up the good work on developing that new DCT tranny.
Did I miss anything here?
Swamp never told us that he's got a new job!?

Best regards, south
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 02:25 PM   #20
swamp2
Major General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 9,594
iTrader: (1)

Cracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Did I miss anything here?
Swamp never told us that he's got a new job!?

Best regards, south
Come on you guys are cracking me up! I have done a bit of engineering in my time, even disc brake design and testing (for mountain bikes...but it was the first cable actuated hydraulic one) but you are going to have to stop with these silly statements.

I can't quite tell if they complimentary or insulting or a bit of both...

Last edited by swamp2; 07-22-2007 at 09:46 PM.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #21
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,728
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Come on you guys are cracking me up! I have done a bit of engineering in my time, even disc brake design and testing (for mountain bikes...but it was the first cable actuated hydraulic one) but you are going to have to stop with these silly statements.

I can't quite tell if it they complimentary or insulting or a bit of both...
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #22
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Come on you guys are cracking me up! I have done a bit of engineering in my time, even disc brake design and testing (for mountain bikes...but it was the first cable actuated hydraulic one) but you are going to have to stop with these silly statements.

I can't quite tell if it they complimentary or insulting or a bit of both...
Take it as a compliment: you take the time to understand what BMW is trying to do with the E92 M3, and do a pretty good job in getting that across. Nothing wrong with that!
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST