BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Stick to Clutch
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Anyone taking GMAT in 2012?

I'm currently studying for this year. But I noticed there's a signficant content change in June 2012 as one of the essays is taken away and replaced with graphic/table/chart analysis section.



http://www.mba.com/The-GMAT/GMAT-Inf...1_v09_WEB.ashx

How has this affected your decision on which version you will take? For me it's my timeline for B-school applications thats driving my decision, but I'm not sure if there's some concensus that the older/newer version maybe slightly easier/harder etc. I know it depends on your personal abilities on analysis/writing abililty.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
 
pimp4cheddar's Avatar
 
Drives: Mojave E92
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Florida

Posts: 1,778
iTrader: (11)

I'm planning on gearing up for my GMAT's...but I haven't actually started doing anything yet.

I'm still in the (I like my free time at night phase)...not to mention I want to make sure I plan everything out accordingly.


I'm curious to hear some feedback from those who have actually taken it...
pimp4cheddar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Brain
Banned
 
Drives: broken
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: IL

Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

Wow, good to know. I am taking it this year but didn't know they changed the test that much. I personally think this makes the test harder...the AWA was very easy and basically, if you can structure a coherent argument, you'll get your points. I have 1 more round of prep classes (veritas - I highly recommend) to go through and then I'm taking it
Brain is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Q4P
Colonel
 
Q4P's Avatar
 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

Posts: 2,296
iTrader: (0)

I am guessing this is for everyone attempting to attain MBA's. This is a very noble goal although be aware that an MBA with no experience or no particular field has questionable value. Everyone who is getting out of college now is going back for an MBA with few reasons behind it other than continuing education (which as I said is a very noble goal), just be aware that very soon there will be an influx of overqualified MBAs with not enough experience or there won't be enough positions to hire them all. Points being;

1. Make sure you know what you want to do with your MBA.
2. Gain experience in that field.
3. Make sure to spend as little as possible on this MBA or have someone else pay for it such as an employer.
4. If you do decide to the take the $$$ plunge into a very high ranking B school such as Wharton, Princeton and so forth... make sure that it pays off with connections attained at that school or some sort of solid job offers / internships.
5. Overeducation isn't always the answer to underemployment (if this applies to you).

Just things to think about.
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Q4P is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
I'm planning on gearing up for my GMAT's...but I haven't actually started doing anything yet.

I'm still in the (I like my free time at night phase)...not to mention I want to make sure I plan everything out accordingly.


I'm curious to hear some feedback from those who have actually taken it...
gotta get your timeline ready, if you're not taking it in Feb/March 2012, you likely have missed the timeline for early enrollment in 2012. Unless of course you already got your essays and recommendations out of the way.

The June test will be the latest you can take the GMAT and still concievably get in this fall.

It's almost a 2 year plan you need to make in case you can't get in the first year .

Last edited by mdosu; 02-10-2012 at 03:50 PM.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Wolf
Captain
 
Wolf's Avatar
 
Drives: on hold
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth

Posts: 719
iTrader: (0)

actually I am thinking of doing MBA next fall, I have just graduated as a mechanical engineer... any info regarding the GMAT will be appreciated
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Wolf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
Seminole
Colonel
 
Seminole's Avatar
 
Drives: Red Flyer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 38.8977° N, 77.0366° W

Posts: 2,030
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]


I took it back in 2009. I bought a Princeton Review book and made a half ass attempt at studying out if it, went out the night before my exam and partied, then woke up on a friends couch and went and took the test the following morning. Got a 620. Nothing amazing, but enough to get me into the program I wanted and get me a grad school scholarship. I was also going for a Master's of Accounting, not an MBA.

I wouldn't stress it too bad. It's like a grown up SAT. You just gotta remember a lot of that algebra and geometry based stuff you probably haven't used in a long time.
__________________
Seminole is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
Express
Major General
 
Express's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

Posts: 8,701
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
what the fuck is a gmat
Express is offline   Israel
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,739
iTrader: (289)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post


I took it back in 2009. I bought a Princeton Review book and made a half ass attempt at studying out if it, went out the night before my exam and partied, then woke up on a friends couch and went and took the test the following morning. Got a 620. Nothing amazing, but enough to get me into the program I wanted and get me a grad school scholarship. I was also going for a Master's of Accounting, not an MBA.

I wouldn't stress it too bad. It's like a grown up SAT. You just gotta remember a lot of that algebra and geometry based stuff you probably haven't used in a long time.
Unfortunately, for those of us who want a 750 or so, it'll take a bit more effort

550 to 650 isn't THAT hard, but 650 to 750 is significantly harder IMO.

I took the GMAt 3.5 years ago while still in college, just to test myself and see where I stand... I got a 550. I didn't study and left 40 mins early since I got what I wanted out of it (meaning I knew where I stood, and was difficult, and what I needed to do etc etc).
Since i didn't report it anywhere, and it's been over 3 years, that low 550 can't come get me..
I plan to take it again before June 2012.. don't feel like taking a new version


But yeah, it is basically a grown up SAT.... it's just so damn boring
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
Express
Major General
 
Express's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

Posts: 8,701
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
550 to 650 isn't THAT hard, but 650 to 750 is significantly harder IMO.
i lol'ed so hard.
Express is offline   Israel
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
ghosthi32
Banned
 
Drives: Water camel
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: strait of hormuz

Posts: 2,516
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Unfortunately, for those of us who want a 750 or so, it'll take a bit more effort

550 to 650 isn't THAT hard, but 650 to 750 is significantly harder IMO.

I took the GMAt 3.5 years ago while still in college, just to test myself and see where I stand... I got a 550. I didn't study and left 40 mins early since I got what I wanted out of it (meaning I knew where I stood, and was difficult, and what I needed to do etc etc).
Since i didn't report it anywhere, and it's been over 3 years, that low 550 can't come get me..
ghosthi32 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #12
Seminole
Colonel
 
Seminole's Avatar
 
Drives: Red Flyer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 38.8977° N, 77.0366° W

Posts: 2,030
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
lolz
__________________
Seminole is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,739
iTrader: (289)

O OT. you never cease to make one laugh
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
Express
Major General
 
Express's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

Posts: 8,701
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
O OT. you never cease to make one laugh
o persian54.. you never cease to make us laugh.
Express is offline   Israel
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #15
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,739
iTrader: (289)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
o persian54.. you never cease to make us laugh.
Yay
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Unfortunately, for those of us who want a 750 or so, it'll take a bit more effort

550 to 650 isn't THAT hard, but 650 to 750 is significantly harder IMO.

I took the GMAt 3.5 years ago while still in college, just to test myself and see where I stand... I got a 550. I didn't study and left 40 mins early since I got what I wanted out of it (meaning I knew where I stood, and was difficult, and what I needed to do etc etc).
Since i didn't report it anywhere, and it's been over 3 years, that low 550 can't come get me..
I plan to take it again before June 2012.. don't feel like taking a new version


But yeah, it is basically a grown up SAT.... it's just so damn boring

I'm in your boat, I need at least a 730. It'll be a battle.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
Epacy2
Major
 
Drives: M3/X5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: KC

Posts: 1,255
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4P View Post
I am guessing this is for everyone attempting to attain MBA's. This is a very noble goal although be aware that an MBA with no experience or no particular field has questionable value. Everyone who is getting out of college now is going back for an MBA with few reasons behind it other than continuing education (which as I said is a very noble goal), just be aware that very soon there will be an influx of overqualified MBAs with not enough experience or there won't be enough positions to hire them all. Points being;

1. Make sure you know what you want to do with your MBA.
2. Gain experience in that field.
3. Make sure to spend as little as possible on this MBA or have someone else pay for it such as an employer.
4. If you do decide to the take the $$$ plunge into a very high ranking B school such as Wharton, Princeton and so forth... make sure that it pays off with connections attained at that school or some sort of solid job offers / internships.
5. Overeducation isn't always the answer to underemployment (if this applies to you).

Just things to think about.
Cool it with the hate. What's the ulterior motive here?
__________________
Epacy2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #18
Q4P
Colonel
 
Q4P's Avatar
 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

Posts: 2,296
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy2 View Post
Cool it with the hate. What's the ulterior motive here?
ulterior motive? If that's hating, then you may want to re-read what I said especially the part where I mentioned that it was a very noble idea to pursue further education. I was throwing out things to think about... I have an MBA, did it the right way and it's paying off for me, I am trying to help others make sure that theirs pays off for them instead of getting yourself into a mountain of debt and later on having no idea what to do with your degree. I see this a little too often recently...
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Q4P is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #19
Epacy2
Major
 
Drives: M3/X5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: KC

Posts: 1,255
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4P View Post
ulterior motive? If that's hating, then you may want to re-read what I said especially the part where I mentioned that it was a very noble idea to pursue further education. I was throwing out things to think about... I have an MBA, did it the right way and it's paying off for me, I am trying to help others make sure that theirs pays off for them instead of getting yourself into a mountain of debt and later on having no idea what to do with your degree. I see this a little too often recently...
Your post is filled with hating and derogatory statements. Not to mention some terrible advice in there too.
You're right, I do see this type of post too often.
__________________
Epacy2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #20
infinitekid2002
Creepin while ya sleepin
 
infinitekid2002's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a Bat out of Hell
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: City of Angels

Posts: 3,360
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.71]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4P View Post
ulterior motive? If that's hating, then you may want to re-read what I said especially the part where I mentioned that it was a very noble idea to pursue further education. I was throwing out things to think about... I have an MBA, did it the right way and it's paying off for me, I am trying to help others make sure that theirs pays off for them instead of getting yourself into a mountain of debt and later on having no idea what to do with your degree. I see this a little too often recently...
dude...chill on the abuse
__________________
infinitekid2002 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #21
ghosthi32
Banned
 
Drives: Water camel
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: strait of hormuz

Posts: 2,516
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy2 View Post
Your post is filled with hating and derogatory statements. Not to mention some terrible advice in there too.
You're right, I do see this type of post too often.
You wanted flowers and candy everywhere?
ghosthi32 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #22
Q4P
Colonel
 
Q4P's Avatar
 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

Posts: 2,296
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy2 View Post
Your post is filled with hating and derogatory statements. Not to mention some terrible advice in there too.
You're right, I do see this type of post too often.
LOL, you mean the part where I said gain experience in the field you wish to be in while obtaining your mba or the part where I said make sure you don't get yourself into debt? I am sorry if my advice offends you, it is merely advice nothing else (I mean I don't have friends who are hiring managers or recruiters and see 100s of MBAs without work daily who made those exact errors). I wish you the best of luck and follow your own advice
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Q4P is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST