BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
26
Rep
1,322
Posts

Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (6)

Exclamation A note to Hankook RS3 owners who tracking

Recently I got some people asked that why their cars pulling to left/right after HPDE's. After we did some alignment and measurement back and forth on different cars but all with RS3's, we find out the reason.

For example: if you run a track has more right hand turn, your car will end up pulling to the left; Or if you run a track has more left turn, you car will pull to the right. ETC.

Basically, it flows like this:
one side of tires have more wear than the other side > uneven wear on tires > the car has different tires overall diameter on 4 wheels > the car pulls to the side which has smaller overall diameter.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
crzywhiteman01
Team Subawoo
crzywhiteman01's Avatar
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2006 SGM WRX
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Yup this is why you should flip mount the tires after a track day at a track that favors one side. Especially a track that is super abrasive like street of willow. Its probably even a good idea to flip them mid day if the track you are at has a tire shop on location.

good info
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
Dartanium
Lieutenant
5
Rep
558
Posts

Drives: 09 E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzywhiteman01 View Post
Yup this is why you should flip mount the tires after a track day at a track that favors one side. Especially a track that is super abrasive like street of willow. Its probably even a good idea to flip them mid day if the track you are at has a tire shop on location.

good info
wouldn't it be easier to swap wheels/tires mid day between sessions instead removing tires?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
crzywhiteman01
Team Subawoo
crzywhiteman01's Avatar
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2006 SGM WRX
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanium View Post
wouldn't it be easier to swap wheels/tires mid day between sessions instead removing tires?
well this will not work if you are using a directional tread pattern like on the RS3. its the left to right wear not over all wear so even if you are running a squared set-up it will not work. But if you have a non directional tread pattern then it will be fine.

basically the tires need to be moved from left to right so that the entire tire is on the opposite side. The left would be on the right with the left outside wall becoming the right inside wall.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #5
crzywhiteman01
Team Subawoo
crzywhiteman01's Avatar
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2006 SGM WRX
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

On all-wheel drive cars all of our tires need to be with in 2/32's tread wear or it will cause horrible strain on our center diff. With you guys since you only have a rear diff this is not as big of a problem but it will cause the car to pull as if the alignment is off.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #6
M3scv
Havin' a blast!
M3scv's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
4,817
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Yep, I've been keeping track of each tracks - whether they are predominently CW or CCW - and rotating (& flipping) tires accordingly. Car not pulling left or right.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Richbot
Colonel
53
Rep
2,298
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (2)

Derp.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
gixxer_kidd
Major
31
Rep
1,404
Posts

Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2008 m3  [5.00]
Can anyone provide feedback on how these tires perform in the wet and/or when the temp is under 50 degrees? I've been reading conflicting reviews where some say they absolutely suck in the wet and others say it's okay as long as you back off a little.

I plan on using these tires on the street and for a few auto-x/track days this year here in the North East and would like to know if it's safe to use them in the wet.

Also what cold/hot psi should I set them at on the track? I plan on running 265/285.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
chili cheese
Major
chili cheese's Avatar
29
Rep
1,007
Posts

Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzywhiteman01 View Post
well this will not work if you are using a directional tread pattern like on the RS3. its the left to right wear not over all wear so even if you are running a squared set-up it will not work. But if you have a non directional tread pattern then it will be fine.

basically the tires need to be moved from left to right so that the entire tire is on the opposite side. The left would be on the right with the left outside wall becoming the right inside wall.
If it's a dry track day, in my experience it doesn't matter if you change a directional tire to the other side of the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
SeeYaLater
Private
SeeYaLater's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 & E36 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

Seems Tirerack and Discount tire are backordered on the RS3's for 4-6 weeks
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
chili cheese
Major
chili cheese's Avatar
29
Rep
1,007
Posts

Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

iTrader: (6)

Considering the RS3, Nitto NT05, NT01 or Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z-1 for my 18x10 square track set-up. Any experiences/preferences for wear overall performance, grip, etc?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #12
aus
Major General
United_States
154
Rep
7,639
Posts

Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Considering the RS3, Nitto NT05, NT01 or Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z-1 for my 18x10 square track set-up. Any experiences/preferences for wear overall performance, grip, etc?
When did you get track wheels? I know you had the stock 18's.
NT01's and RS3's will probably stick the best since they're pretty close to an R compound.

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #13
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
330
Rep
15,819
Posts

Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (294)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaLater View Post
Seems Tirerack and Discount tire are backordered on the RS3's for 4-6 weeks
maybe i shouldn't have sold my used ones for so cheap lol
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
chili cheese
Major
chili cheese's Avatar
29
Rep
1,007
Posts

Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
When did you get track wheels? I know you had the stock 18's.
NT01's and RS3's will probably stick the best since they're pretty close to an R compound.

.
Got in on the group buy for the Apex Arc-8s, 18x10 square set-up (anthracite finish)....was a great deal, but they haven't arrived yet. The stock 18s are OK, but I'm getting to the point where I need more grip. Those are the 2 tires that I'm leaning towards and their price is right too. Hoping for some positive feedback.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
aus
Major General
United_States
154
Rep
7,639
Posts

Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (7)

Just get what's cheaper.
Also, check out the track section where someone from POC posted their schedule.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
114
Rep
5,934
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer_kidd View Post
Can anyone provide feedback on how these tires perform in the wet and/or when the temp is under 50 degrees? I've been reading conflicting reviews where some say they absolutely suck in the wet and others say it's okay as long as you back off a little.

I plan on using these tires on the street and for a few auto-x/track days this year here in the North East and would like to know if it's safe to use them in the wet.

Also what cold/hot psi should I set them at on the track? I plan on running 265/285.
They are OK in the wet, bad in the cold below 50...and outright dangerous in the wet below 50. Especially when they get a little bit worn.

I use Dunlop star specs for cold/wet grip from a summer tire.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
gixxer_kidd
Major
31
Rep
1,404
Posts

Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2008 m3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
They are OK in the wet, bad in the cold below 50...and outright dangerous in the wet below 50. Especially when they get a little bit worn.

I use Dunlop star specs for cold/wet grip from a summer tire.
Thanks, keeping my fingers crossed for good weather next month!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
114
Rep
5,934
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer_kidd View Post
Thanks, keeping my fingers crossed for good weather next month!
In jersey?
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #19
gixxer_kidd
Major
31
Rep
1,404
Posts

Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2008 m3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
In jersey?
Yea, dirty jerz. I know it won't be over 50 but hoping it will be dry. Would I be better off going with Michelin PSS?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
114
Rep
5,934
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
So does this apply only to RS3s or any street tire? Because my Dunlops would get this weird wear in Korea where the only track was run in one direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer_kidd View Post
Yea, dirty jerz. I know it won't be over 50 but hoping it will be dry. Would I be better off going with Michelin PSS?
Yes.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #21
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
330
Rep
15,819
Posts

Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (294)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
They are OK in the wet, bad in the cold below 50...and outright dangerous in the wet below 50. Especially when they get a little bit worn.

I use Dunlop star specs for cold/wet grip from a summer tire.
Yeah

I used a set of RS3s in the POURING rain
A bit of sliding around, but nothing that wasn't controllable
Tires had about 1 month of street driving so pretty much "new"

But they are bad in the cold below 50
I almost lost it at Big willow cause I made a turn where I'm used to it gripping...and it didn't really grip... yay for MDM saving me so I don't total my car hah
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #22
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Malek@MRF's Avatar
United_States
139
Rep
3,555
Posts


Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, F30, E30
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Regardless of what tires you are using, this is not restricted to Hankook RS-3's. you need to flip the tires to the other side. Ideally you should do this mid-day if it's possible at the time.
__________________
BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. F/I.Race Engines. Brakes. Race Preparation. OE Service. Alignment.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. BBS Motorsport. HRE. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.

Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST