BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Engine Issue???

Did some searching but not sure what terms to really use to find anything in regards to this. I just noticed that the car seems to "hesitate" in the 2500-3500ish rpm range. I don't physically see the tach changing during these instances. For example, I am on the freeway holding in this rpm range and the car will bog then come back to normal. It will do this often. No CELs or any other lights. I assume this is not normal.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
E30_80Y
Still love my E30
E30_80Y's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
106
Posts

 
Drives: E30S52+E90M
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

I think I noticed the same. Anybody have inputs on this?
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=639065&stc=1&d=1328218  081
E90 sparkling graphite-borla exhaust-arkym carbon fiber front lip-gloss black kidney grills-carbon fiber emblems-rd sport springs-19" iss forged fm10r
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,812
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Stock exhaust?

Info on mods would be helpful.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

Does not sound normal at all. Could be a DCT issue?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

That doesn't sound normal to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
brava09
Captain
brava09's Avatar
12
Rep
724
Posts

 
Drives: '11 Audi RS5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Same here, but only in 3rd gear. Stopped worrying about it though, since it is doing this from the beginning.
__________________
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
Mike van D
Major
Mike van D's Avatar
Germany
11
Rep
1,114
Posts

 
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

No issue like that here. Agree, not normal. Happens all the time or just started? If not all the time I would suspect that you possibly got a small slug of or some entrained water in your last fill-up.
__________________
...just enjoying life.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #8
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
BMRLVR's Avatar
Canada
39
Rep
2,332
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Did some searching but not sure what terms to really use to find anything in regards to this. I just noticed that the car seems to "hesitate" in the 2500-3500ish rpm range. I don't physically see the tach changing during these instances. For example, I am on the freeway holding in this rpm range and the car will bog then come back to normal. It will do this often. No CELs or any other lights. I assume this is not normal.
What you are noticing is most likely the torque dip that everyone talks about. I notice it in my car too and the Akrapovic Evo made it even more noticeable. For me it really only bothers me in 6th gear travelling about 70-80 KM/h (45-50 MPH) then roll open the throttle, the car hesitates a little until revs build to about 3200RPM and then all is ok.

A quick downshift will eliminate this for you, I don't think there is any issue with your car, that is normal for the S65, especially if you have a HFC's or a cat-less mid-pipe!
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Well I notice it at cruising speeds with a constant throttle. Feels kinda like the brakes grab for a moment then let go then grab again, then let go. So it could be engine or something else for all I know. As far as mods go, I have MS Stage2 intake, Akra Evo, Evolve tune, MS pulleys.

I don't think it's the torque dip since it happens when the engine is running at a constant rate and not during acceleration.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
spdy330
Major General
spdy330's Avatar
United_States
100
Rep
6,074
Posts

 
Drives: 05 Tundra, 11 M3, 08 Odyssey
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chino, CA

iTrader: (161)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to spdy330 Send a message via Yahoo to spdy330
I have not experienced anything like this.
__________________
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadotie View Post
Feels kinda like the brakes grab for a moment then let go then grab again, then let go. So it could be engine or something else for all I know.
That's just to explain how it feels. I in now way know where the issue stems.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Jbook
Major
Jbook's Avatar
17
Rep
1,294
Posts

 
Drives: '11 ESS E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Bay Area

iTrader: (20)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
Definitely does not sound normal
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
GIdriver
Major
GIdriver's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,352
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere in Time

iTrader: (0)

Mine doesn't do that, or at least I haven't noticed. Will pay more attention from now on. Please keep us informed. Sorry could not be of any more help.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
I'll keep driving til I can figure it out. Could be engine, brakes, trans...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,812
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I'll keep driving til I can figure it out. Could be engine, brakes, trans...
You should swing by and give me a ride so I can feel what it does, at the same time while data logging the car to see what's happening behind the scenes.

The Akra dip is between 1900 and 2500 ish - the car should feel normal from 2500 to 3000. I have never had such an issue. Definitely not normal.

We can try flashing to a newer ECU revision to see if that fixes the issue - not sure what software level you are on now, but I can check.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
You should swing by and give me a ride so I can feel what it does, at the same time while data logging the car to see what's happening behind the scenes.

The Akra dip is between 1900 and 2500 ish - the car should feel normal from 2500 to 3000. I have never had such an issue. Definitely not normal.

We can try flashing to a newer ECU revision to see if that fixes the issue - not sure what software level you are on now, but I can check.
Sounds good. I'll definitely have to make some time to come by.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #17
SchnellM3
Digger
SchnellM3's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
2,616
Posts

 
Drives: 03 E46 M3, 09 E92 M3, 09 X6 50
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pa

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
Mine doesn't do that, or at least I haven't noticed. Will pay more attention from now on. Please keep us informed. Sorry could not be of any more help.
+1

From reading the OP I thought it could be a DCT issue but any hesitation with that is usually coming from idle to just under 2k then smooths out.

Since your a 6 speed owner that thought is null lol

I'd take Mike up on his offer and keep us posted, Good Luck
__________________
2009 E92 M3 /// Melbourne Red /// Fox Red /// M DKG

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
I still need to get by to see Mike regarding this and some other things, but I might have possibly narrowed it to a DSC issue. After doing some research here, I came across some info about checking if the issue occurs with and without the DSC on. I made my normal drive to work today and drove with the DSC off to see if the issue would keep happening. It seemed that with the DSC off, the issue wouldn't happen. As soon as I turned the DSC back on, it would start happening again. I have yet to get any sort of CEL in regards to any of this. I will check the situation again on my drive home to see if I can confirm that the same issues are in place. To be sure, I still will have Mike take a look at things and see if he can see any irregularities. This car has had more quirky issues than any other car I've ever owned...and it's only 4 months old.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #19
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

...and you didn't crash with DSC off?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #20
stefan
Colonel
stefan's Avatar
Canada
29
Rep
2,145
Posts

 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
Well that's kind of a relief. Makes me think the fix for this might simply be a software reflash or sensor change.
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #21
K-M3
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
281
Posts

 
Drives: '12 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: DFW, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I still need to get by to see Mike regarding this and some other things, but I might have possibly narrowed it to a DSC issue. After doing some research here, I came across some info about checking if the issue occurs with and without the DSC on. I made my normal drive to work today and drove with the DSC off to see if the issue would keep happening. It seemed that with the DSC off, the issue wouldn't happen. As soon as I turned the DSC back on, it would start happening again. I have yet to get any sort of CEL in regards to any of this. I will check the situation again on my drive home to see if I can confirm that the same issues are in place. To be sure, I still will have Mike take a look at things and see if he can see any irregularities. This car has had more quirky issues than any other car I've ever owned...and it's only 4 months old.
hmmmm.... i was gonna say dsc, but, you said it first. mine's being doing it very rarely, in the rpm range that you talk about, but never while cruising. typicaly, when it has done it, it has done it when gassing it up out of a corner when it gets in that rpm range. its "jerky" is the best that I can describe it......i thought it could either be the traction control (DSC) kicking in and cutting power off, OR, it could be lower octane gas. never did it on my trip back with 93 octane in it, but started doing it as I get only 91 octane max where I am. engine diagnostics (at the dealer) all came back normal. it does it very rarely, so I am just going to watch it for now.

BTW, mine is bone stock......no mods whatsoever.....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #22
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
...and you didn't crash with DSC off?
Yeah, I barely made it alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Well that's kind of a relief. Makes me think the fix for this might simply be a software reflash or sensor change.
This is what I'm hoping. As soon as Evolve sends me an Akra delete file only, I am going to take out their tune to verify that it isn't causing the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
hmmmm.... i was gonna say dsc, but, you said it first. mine's being doing it very rarely, in the rpm range that you talk about, but never while cruising. typicaly, when it has done it, it has done it when gassing it up out of a corner when it gets in that rpm range. its "jerky" is the best that I can describe it......i thought it could either be the traction control (DSC) kicking in and cutting power off, OR, it could be lower octane gas. never did it on my trip back with 93 octane in it, but started doing it as I get only 91 octane max where I am. engine diagnostics (at the dealer) all came back normal. it does it very rarely, so I am just going to watch it for now.

BTW, mine is bone stock......no mods whatsoever.....
I have only been able to use 91 here in CA so not sure if that could be it as well especially if the tune is on the edge in some places.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST