BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
FairladyZ
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

EDC malfuncitoning

This morning when I turned the car on, all of a sudden I had a EDC Malfucitioning warning.

Car was perfectly fine as of last night, and I did not 1)mod anything, 2) track it 3), do anything crazy LOL.

Took the car to the dealership, and the shop foreman suggested some plug might be loose on top of the shocks, which is exactly what I've read on this forum.

I am hoping he's right, and this issue can be fixed easily and NOT coming back.

Will keep this thread updated as we go.
FairladyZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
FairladyZ
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

So here's an update.

Dealership has diagnosed the EDC control unit to be damaged, therefore causing the error message in iDrive.

They've ordered a new unit, and will do a swap once it comes in.

I just want to consult everyone's expertise-------I thought the EDC controlling unit is located near the front of the car, but the dealership says it's located at the back, by the battery? Does this sound right to you guys?
FairladyZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
elm3
M3 Lover
 
elm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 Interlagos Blue
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canton, GA.

Posts: 1,850
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
So here's an update.

Dealership has diagnosed the EDC control unit to be damaged, therefore causing the error message in iDrive.

They've ordered a new unit, and will do a swap once it comes in.

I just want to consult everyone's expertise-------I thought the EDC controlling unit is located near the front of the car, but the dealership says it's located at the back, by the battery? Does this sound right to you guys?
That is correct, it is in the rear by the bat.
__________________
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue, 6MT, Silver Novillo Leather, CF Trim, Premium Package, Technology Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, 19" Wheels, Moonroof-Toy/ '11 E90 328i Black Saphire Metallic, Premium Package, Technology Package - Daily Driver '02 Nissan Xterra- Daily Driver/ '04 Yamaha R1-Toy/ '06 Yamaha Raptor 350-Toy
elm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
FairladyZ
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

Thanks man!
FairladyZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
elm3
M3 Lover
 
elm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 Interlagos Blue
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canton, GA.

Posts: 1,850
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
No prob. anytime.

Eric
__________________
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue, 6MT, Silver Novillo Leather, CF Trim, Premium Package, Technology Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, 19" Wheels, Moonroof-Toy/ '11 E90 328i Black Saphire Metallic, Premium Package, Technology Package - Daily Driver '02 Nissan Xterra- Daily Driver/ '04 Yamaha R1-Toy/ '06 Yamaha Raptor 350-Toy
elm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
UA
///M User
 
Drives: 2011.5 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Just had the same thing happen on my car. They replaced the EDC control unit, nothing seems to be different other than the light not being on. Took the dealer 7 days to do it...
UA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
FairladyZ
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA View Post
Just had the same thing happen on my car. They replaced the EDC control unit, nothing seems to be different other than the light not being on. Took the dealer 7 days to do it...
Really? Because in my case, the warning light is on, and obviously the EDC button doesn't work.

and I feel like the suspension is REALLY stiff right now, like sitting on a pile of rocks.
FairladyZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
UA
///M User
 
Drives: 2011.5 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

I drive with EDC on 'Sport' all the time and I didn't notice the suspension being any stiffer or softer during the time the EDC warning was on. The button did not work for me as well. Maybe if you drive on 'Normal' all the time and it's not dampening properly then maybe that's why you feel that the suspension is really stiff right now? Just a guess... maybe going from 'Sport' and 'Sport Plus' to broken makes less of a difference?? :dunno:
UA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
FairladyZ
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA View Post
I drive with EDC on 'Sport' all the time and I didn't notice the suspension being any stiffer or softer during the time the EDC warning was on. The button did not work for me as well. Maybe if you drive on 'Normal' all the time and it's not dampening properly then maybe that's why you feel that the suspension is really stiff right now? Just a guess... maybe going from 'Sport' and 'Sport Plus' to broken makes less of a difference?? :dunno:
Yeah, I am not entirely sure either.

I usually drive in Comfort. But my M button is set to change from Comfort to Sport Plus, so I feel a huge difference.
FairladyZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST