BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Evolve Automotive
View Poll Results: What is your HIGHEST Educational level?
Less than high school diploma 15 3.59%
High school diploma 22 5.26%
GED 1 0.24%
Vocational School/Trade School/Technical School 2 0.48%
Non-degree (Diploma, Certificate, IT Certificate, Teaching Certificate, Specialist, etc) 13 3.11%
Associate Degrees (A.A, A.S, AAS) 16 3.83%
Bachelor's Degrees (B.A, B.S) 156 37.32%
Master's Degrees (MA, MS, MBA) 102 24.40%
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) 13 3.11%
Juris Doctor (J.D.) 34 8.13%
Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) 35 8.37%
Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) 5 1.20%
Other 4 0.96%
Voters: 418. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #89
rjd598
Brigadier General
 
rjd598's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

Posts: 4,495
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm surprised at the ones who didn't get further than hs
__________________
10 E90 M3/dct/ztp/zpp/heated seats/eps/19'/iPod
retired- 08 535i/nav/prem./L7/ipod
retired- 06 325i/nav/prem./sat/xenons/style 128

rjd598 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #90
robb7979
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TX

Posts: 265
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardSurge View Post
Feeling inadequate much?
Didn't think I'd chime in here. Didn't vote on the poll, because I don't care. Surgeons piss and moan because ancillary, time and time again, can't even remember what size and type of glove they need, much less what else they need/want.

I have nothing but respect for anyone else, regardless of their education, who drives the same car. How about a little for the ones that can, and can also remove the tumor from your grandmother's Vena Cava?
robb7979 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 03:12 AM   #91
doubleo
Memento Mori
 
doubleo's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 118
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Freeeek! View Post
Agreed.

It is SO difficult for me to find people my age, college educated or not, that can engage in such discussions. Either my city is lacking in enriched twenty-somethings, or people have become so apathetic and Kardashian-ified that they cannot talk about anything deeper than Snooki's latest conquest or how wasted they got the previous night. What gives?

*steps of soapbox*
You must be from Miami.
doubleo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #92
CardSurge
Private
 
CardSurge's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 JZB/FR E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philly

Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb7979
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardSurge View Post
Feeling inadequate much?
Didn't think I'd chime in here. Didn't vote on the poll, because I don't care. Surgeons piss and moan because ancillary, time and time again, can't even remember what size and type of glove they need, much less what else they need/want.

I have nothing but respect for anyone else, regardless of their education, who drives the same car. How about a little for the ones that can, and can also remove the tumor from your grandmother's Vena Cava?
Agree.

The anesthesiologists, radiologists, cardiologists, perfusionists, etc that I work with are some of the best and brightest individuals I know and in their field. I have the utmost respect for them. That being said, they can collectively do about ~3% of my job and skillset. Partly due to the fact that my training is 2 times that of a fellow-trained anesthesiologist or cardiologist. We face some of the most stressful situations of any profession (excluding active military) on a routine basis.

Let's stop bashing and just enjoy the fact that we can all usually get out of our (flagrant) speeding tickets.
__________________
2012 JZB/FR E92 ///M3, Diamond Black TE37SL, iND cosmetic package, 35% tint, LUX H8, KW, Arkym lip, Remus Race
CardSurge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #93
DDS2015
Major
 
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI 328i xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg/Minneapolis

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Only 2 dentists on here? Really?
DDS2015 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #94
javistor
Private
 
javistor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonion, TX

Posts: 99
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Why? You just got here anyway...
And???
__________________
javistor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #95
pedrobot
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: O-ATE e92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas

Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardSurge View Post
Agree.

The anesthesiologists, radiologists, cardiologists, perfusionists, etc that I work with are some of the best and brightest individuals I know and in their field. I have the utmost respect for them. That being said, they can collectively do about ~3% of my job and skillset. Partly due to the fact that my training is 2 times that of a fellow-trained anesthesiologist or cardiologist. We face some of the most stressful situations of any profession (excluding active military) on a routine basis.

Let's stop bashing and just enjoy the fact that we can all usually get out of our (flagrant) speeding tickets.
So can you do better than Tom Brady and "throw the ball and catch it too?"
LOL
pedrobot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #96
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,863
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by franc View Post
Bored at work and thought about posting this poll and would be inforamtiove to know the different educational backgrounds out there.

Apologize if it has been done before, and if it's not the perfect poll, but I tried to cover most out there. Cheers
I voted Ph. D only it is in Mechanical Engineering ... had no tother choice.
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #97
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
 
Stronghammer's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: south carolina

Posts: 580
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
Must agree with CardSurge. Stronghammer, how's the nursing gig working out? If you wanted to be captain, you should've gone to captain school. Until then, just f***ing row.

El Duderino, MD
Sorry to disappoint boys. Out of training and practicing GS for 15 years now. Took trauma call last night. What did you do ?
__________________
2011 E92 M3 MR July 11 ED Sept 11 PCD
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Stronghammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #98
CardSurge
Private
 
CardSurge's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 JZB/FR E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philly

Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrobot View Post
So can you do better than Tom Brady and "throw the ball and catch it too?"
LOL
Not really the point I was trying to make...just saying that everyone is trained to do very specific things very well (especially in specialties).

That being said, I guess it depends who I had to "throw" to. You don't need many people to keep someone alive with a roller pump and an oxygenator. Additionally, I'd say circ arrest is more analogous to Lazarus-esque God-mode than Tom Brady. (U U D D L R L R B A Select Start)
__________________
2012 JZB/FR E92 ///M3, Diamond Black TE37SL, iND cosmetic package, 35% tint, LUX H8, KW, Arkym lip, Remus Race
CardSurge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #99
CardSurge
Private
 
CardSurge's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 JZB/FR E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philly

Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronghammer View Post
Sorry to disappoint boys. Out of training and practicing GS for 15 years now. Took trauma call last night. What did you do ?
Ha...then I guess you get a pass.

In-house call. Slow night...hence the posts.
__________________
2012 JZB/FR E92 ///M3, Diamond Black TE37SL, iND cosmetic package, 35% tint, LUX H8, KW, Arkym lip, Remus Race

Last edited by CardSurge; 02-09-2012 at 12:35 PM.
CardSurge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #100
pedrobot
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: O-ATE e92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas

Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardSurge View Post
Not really the point I was trying to make...just saying that everyone is trained to do very specific things very well (especially in specialties).

That being said, I guess it depends who I had to "throw" to. You don't need many people to keep someone alive with a roller pump and an oxygenator. Additionally, I'd say circ arrest is more analogous to Lazarus-esque God-mode than Tom Brady. (U U D D L R L R B A Select Start)
Yeah, I agree with what you're saying here:
..."everyone is trained to do very specific things very well (especially in specialties). "

What I don't agree with is the megalomaniac attitude. Case in point:
"Additionally, I'd say circ arrest is more analogous to Lazarus-esque God-mode..."


God mode = creating life
Surgeon mode = modifying life

Surgeons are highly technical and analytical, most of the ones I know anyways. But last time I checked they put their pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us. Simmer down guy or your head may not fit between the A-pillar and B-pillar of your M.
pedrobot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #101
CardSurge
Private
 
CardSurge's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 JZB/FR E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philly

Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrobot View Post
Yeah, I agree with what you're saying here:
..."everyone is trained to do very specific things very well (especially in specialties). "

What I don't agree with is the megalomaniac attitude. Case in point:
"Additionally, I'd say circ arrest is more analogous to Lazarus-esque God-mode..."


God mode = creating life
Surgeon mode = modifying life

Surgeons are highly technical and analytical, most of the ones I know anyways. But last time I checked they put their pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us. Simmer down guy or your head may not fit between the A-pillar and B-pillar of your M.
I was joking. As mentioned before, I am dependent on lots of people (almost all non-surgical) to do my job. Also, I still hate Tom Brady for the tuck rule, so I found that insulting. And most of the time I don't wear pants.
__________________
2012 JZB/FR E92 ///M3, Diamond Black TE37SL, iND cosmetic package, 35% tint, LUX H8, KW, Arkym lip, Remus Race
CardSurge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #102
pedrobot
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: O-ATE e92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas

Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardSurge View Post
I was joking. As mentioned before, I am dependent on lots of people (almost all non-surgical) to do my job. Also, I still hate Tom Brady for the tuck rule, so I found that insulting. And most of the time I don't wear pants.
So does the scrub top match the skirt?

J/K man.

Go GIANTS!
pedrobot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #103
mact3333
Captain
 
mact3333's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' Audi S4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pacific NW

Posts: 778
iTrader: (1)

On 6speedonline.com on the Porsche MB, there was a thread on "how many physicians on here?" thread...that thread went over 10 pages...I think 1/4 of that board were physicians...think % here is much smaller.
mact3333 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #104
///My5UV
Lurker
 
///My5UV's Avatar
 
Drives: E39M5, E90M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin

Posts: 620
iTrader: (0)

Does "Pimpin' Ho's Degree" go under PhD?

BTW, not all men that are circumcised are Jewish... not sure if the surgeons here want to help anyone out with that...
__________________
///My5UV is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #105
javistor
Private
 
javistor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonion, TX

Posts: 99
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
Does "Pimpin' Ho's Degree" go under PhD?

BTW, not all men that are circumcised are Jewish... not sure if the surgeons here want to help anyone out with that...
__________________
javistor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #106
FruitCake
Banned
 
Drives: '10 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,680
iTrader: (19)

FruitCake is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #107
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,505
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardSurge View Post
Agree.

The anesthesiologists, radiologists, cardiologists, perfusionists, etc that I work with are some of the best and brightest individuals I know and in their field. I have the utmost respect for them. That being said, they can collectively do about ~3% of my job and skillset. Partly due to the fact that my training is 2 times that of a fellow-trained anesthesiologist or cardiologist. We face some of the most stressful situations of any profession (excluding active military) on a routine basis.

Let's stop bashing and just enjoy the fact that we can all usually get out of our (flagrant) speeding tickets.
Agree with some of your points. Disagree with others.

1. No question that CT surg is a very stressful specialty. Though I no longer do, I practiced cardiac anesthesia at a major academic center for a number of years, so I really do know.

2. "3%"....not really. You have a highly technical skill as a CT surgeon with regards to your ability and knowledge of grafts, valves, and proximal aortic surgery. Your knowledge of cardiopulmonary physiology, however, is the same as an equally competent cardiac anesthesiologist, or invasive cardiologist. We and they have our own technical expertise. Remember, too, that at least on the anesthesia side, most cardiac anesthesiologists also do other stuff.

3. A fellowship trained cardaic anesthesiologist is 5-6 years depending on whether or not a reseach year is involved. Interventional cardiology is 6-7 years including IM residency then fellowship. Last I knew, CT surg was 8-9 years including GS residency. Longer, yes, but twice as long, no.

Along with CT surg, the most stressful situations in medicine I think are surrounding an emergency c-section for fetal distress. Just as stressful as a blown out mitral or cardiogenic shock with an occluded left main. Seriously. Technically, and equally as challenging in the OR setting is surgery/anesthesia on premature infants. Necrotizing Enterocolitis is a perfect example of this.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is bashing anyone. So yes, while I wholeheartedly acknowledge the intensity of CT surg, there are other situations in medicine that are equally as intense. It's actually nice to converse with people who you have a lot in common with. In this case, medicine and a love of cars !!!!
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6


Last edited by LarThaL; 02-09-2012 at 07:32 PM.
LarThaL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #108
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
 
mpbruin108's Avatar
 
Drives: I'm a hypermiler
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: los angeles

Posts: 464
iTrader: (6)

after 12 years after graduating high school, got my MD and now work with eyes. I think it was too much schooling
__________________
2015 M4 (on order - ED in September 2014) Mineral Grey with SO

2013 Tesla Model S, 2011 Land Rover Autobiography, 2010 RR Phantom, 2012 S550

2010 AW E92 M3 (SOLD) 2009 Z4 Sdrive35i (SOLD)
mpbruin108 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #109
El_Duderino
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: California

Posts: 131
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronghammer View Post
Sorry to disappoint boys. Out of training and practicing GS for 15 years now. Took trauma call last night. What did you do ?
Oto surgeon. I was on call too!
El_Duderino is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #110
spyderco10
Colonel
 
spyderco10's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Honolulu, HI

Posts: 2,425
iTrader: (0)

I would like to express my sincerest gratitude and respect to the MDs, and surgeons in particular. A cardiothoracic surgeon saved my life a number of years back. Had surgeries due to a spontaneous pneumothorax, both lungs.
__________________
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- John 3:16
spyderco10 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST