BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

PYSPEED

02-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
crabman
Captain

Drives: M3

Your impressions of the AE Performance versus M performance exhaust.

There isn't a lot on the AE performance exhaust here but it sounds like it might be decent for a daily driver. The OEM performance exhaust is definitely a daily driver but I dislike the droop factor. Still it resides high on my list at this time. Can anyone who has heard both share their impressions as to decibel level of the AE parts, drone, etc. compared to the OEM performance exhaust?

If you have other suggestions I am looking for a daily driver exhaust. It should have minimal or no drone which can be easily driven around (yes I know, everything drones to somebody) and not be capable of setting off car alarms and normal parking garage speeds. I am not going to change the mid section any time soon or ever so I have no interest in anything other than a cat back exhaust. If you respond with Evo you just lost ten seconds of your life you will never get back to no end. I grew up with and love the standard V8 growl but coming from back to back vettes I would prefer a change to the more exotic/F1/European sound as its often described. None of the following are required or will instantly cross an exhaust off the list but are my preferences. Lots of bass is a demerit, not a plus. Split cans are a plus as exposing the diff is a good thing. Whether they are split or not anything that droops down excessively definitely gets a check on the con side of the list. I would prefer stainless, had too many cracked or broken weld Ti parts to have any love for the material. Thanks for your thoughts.
      02-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
crabman
Captain

Hmmmm, there isn't much to be found here on a search as far as the AE piece and that little bit is contradictory. I always kinda wonder about these that don't reach critical mass with buyers. Have to figure some of them were as good or maybe even better than the usual go to suspects but they never made it over the hump. I guess this will serve as a bump and maybe someone wanders along....
      02-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
kitw
Colonel

Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S

I thought the AE was ok. It droned a bit and never took on a nice exotic sound, was much more AMG than Maserati. It was made very nicely and fit well. Way too loud for me with anything deleted farther up the exhaust, though.
      02-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
crabman
Captain

I have no intention of changing anything beyond the cat back for some time. My last BMW was a horrid experience with over 10% of its mileage accrued going back and forth to the dealer to get things fixed. Would have been higher but a number of trips were via flatbed. Essentially I'm not opening up the door to (possible) warranty denial until I feel more comfortable with the reliability of the car. Sounds like this is not the sound I'm looking for though, I want more maserati less AMG lol Can you comment on the sound volume as compared to the M performance?
      02-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
kitw
Colonel

Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S

It's a lot louder.

MXP might be a good option
      02-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
crabman
Captain

Ok, thanks kit. Beings as you,re the acknowledged exhaust slut you havent by chance heard the fame freiheit (spelling?) have you?
      02-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
ModBargains.com
Banned

Drives: JB E92 335i

The AE Performance system for the M3 is a great choice as it's a quality piece and is not going to break your wallet. The sound is slightly louder than the stock system, but it is not going to be overbearing in anyway. It'll give the exhaust a deeper and throatier note. The AE Performance exhaust also includes both the mufflers and the connecting pipes as one piece and easy to install!

[img]http://www.**********s.com/zoom_img/_1319798148.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.**********s.com/zoom_img/_1319798160.jpg[/img]

Here are a few sound clips for you to check out!

ModBargains.com is offline   United_States
      02-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Sleeper519
Captain

Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Crabman,

I have pondered your exact same situation myself, except I was looking to compare the AE with the Active Autowerks Signature exhaust. It is reputed to have more of the exotic F1-type pitch that many of us want, low/no drone, and I could live with the look of the NCCs. I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I worry about the sound volume for my DD (I've fooled my neighbors into thinking I'm mature and respectable--HA) but I would love it at the track. I've heard the AE is definitely louder, though.

Good luck!

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Sleeper519 is offline   United_States
      02-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
crabman
Captain

No question picking an exhaust is a tough job if you need to spend time in the daily slog. For a flogger car its pretty easy, pick the one you like the sound of and call it a day. I think part of the problem is that this isn't any easy car to make a no drone exhaust on. Same thing in corvettes. About the only one that could legitimately claim no drone to nearly everyone (someone always hears drone even with the stock exhaust) was the corsa. All the others had some, bad in some cases and less so in others. The other thing is that drone is easy to live with if you just pass through a little of it as you go through that rpm range. Its when it occurs right at cruising speed that things get ugly for a daily car.

I have been searching the AA exhaust also, the sound seems to be well liked (if perhaps too loud for a daily?) and as near as I can tell from peoples comments here the drone isn't horrible. I don't like that several report the one side hanging lower than the other with no more room to adjust though, that would bother me. I'm also researching gintani and remus sport models. Like the AE it appears that those are more nascar and less maserati sound which isn't surprising considering the similarity in design.