BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #45
armyav8tor
n1smo
 
armyav8tor's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 1,425
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylePoints View Post
I never said the Evo does not perform. I actually love the Evo system. However, the OP was talking about just the slip on. And while the slip on is nice - nice sound and some weight saving - it just doesn't produce much HP for $2000+. What you are paying for is essentially the sound factor.

As for MS Stage 2 intake - many people have it with dyne figures showing the proven 8-10 rwhp. So why would you say its a joke made from plastic. What would you want it to be made of? Its a charge pipe - plastic seems very logical. Even pulleys give you roughly 10 peak hp for $500.

As far as pure performance for the $ goes. You can get pulley+MS stage 2 for $1000 and it will definitely give you more power than $2500 Akro slip on. Show me otherwise
Which is why I made the comment about bs dyno sheets. I also have the AA Pulley and I can tell you that it doesn't give you 10hp. I trapped 108mph in Alabama granted it was hot as hell that day but even corrected it was 111mph with MS intake filter and AA Pulley. I add my exhaust and I'm trapping 116mph or 115mph corrected due to the negative DA. If I was to add up the advertised HP from my mods, then I should be pulling a lot higher numbers. Point being, I don't believe in dyno sheets especially when they are provided by vendors.

As far as the spend 1000 bucks comment, I can spend 90 bucks on a filter and get the same results. There's been plenty of reports of the quality issues with that intake. Heres one I found with a quick search.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=133
armyav8tor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #46
StylePoints
Second Lieutenant
 
StylePoints's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ca

Posts: 295
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
Which is why I made the comment about bs dyno sheets. I also have the AA Pulley and I can tell you that it doesn't give you 10hp. I trapped 108mph in Alabama granted it was hot as hell that day but even corrected it was 111mph with MS intake filter and AA Pulley. I add my exhaust and I'm trapping 116mph or 115mph corrected due to the negative DA. If I was to add up the advertised HP from my mods, then I should be pulling a lot higher numbers. Point being, I don't believe in dyno sheets especially when they are provided by vendors.

As far as the spend 1000 bucks comment, I can spend 90 bucks on a filter and get the same results. There's been plenty of reports of the quality issues with that intake. Heres one I found with a quick search.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=133
Ok point taken on the quality of the MS filter. But what about Dinnan? They are the most well known tuner for bmws and have known to be on the conservative side of things. On their website their intake charge kit ~10peak hp and ~11 peak hp for their pulley system. Similar pricing. So Dinnan numbers are bs as well? Only your trap speed on a hot day count as fact?
StylePoints is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #47
armyav8tor
n1smo
 
armyav8tor's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 1,425
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylePoints View Post
Ok point taken on the quality of the MS filter. But what about Dinnan? They are the most well known tuner for bmws and have known to be on the conservative side of things. On their website their intake charge kit ~10peak hp and ~11 peak hp for their pulley system. Similar pricing. So Dinnan numbers are bs as well? Only your trap speed on a hot day count as fact?
My trap speed on a hot day is still more accurate than dyno pulls. I gave the corrected numbers for the DA. With dynos you have another variation in the equation, which is the dyno machine itself. Every dyno is different, and comparing dyno sheets from different dynos are like comparing apples to oranges. I would trust Dinan over MS because I know Dinan is a higher quality product but I still would not trust the numbers. I'm willing to bet that most of the gains are from the filter and not the charge pipe. The original comment about the MS and slip on raised a red flag with me because just the difference in the quality of the two products alone is huge and to put them in the same paragraph is just offensive to the Akrapovic brand. Call me a fanboi but man, this exhaust is a freakin work of art.
armyav8tor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #48
StylePoints
Second Lieutenant
 
StylePoints's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ca

Posts: 295
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
My trap speed on a hot day is still more accurate than dyno pulls. I gave the corrected numbers for the DA. With dynos you have another variation in the equation, which is the dyno machine itself. Every dyno is different, and comparing dyno sheets from different dynos are like comparing apples to oranges. I would trust Dinan over MS because I know Dinan is a higher quality product but I still would not trust the numbers. I'm willing to bet that most of the gains are from the filter and not the charge pipe. The original comment about the MS and slip on raised a red flag with me because just the difference in the quality of the two products alone is huge and to put them in the same paragraph is just offensive to the Akrapovic brand. Call me a fanboi but man, this exhaust is a freakin work of art.
Brother, don't get me wrong here. This exhaust is truly a work of art! If I could, I would put it on top my the hood instead of under the car! But we all know the slip will not make too much power. And seems the OP is a bit worried about the loudness of this slip on. I was only suggesting there are other ways to gain hp for the price. And I believe intake+pulley for the price will gain you similar, if not more hp, compared to the akropovic slip on for much less $$. (you can argue which brands are better). Now if money wasn't an issue, then sure - get the Evo, some BBS, and ESS.
StylePoints is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #49
armyav8tor
n1smo
 
armyav8tor's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 1,425
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylePoints View Post
Brother, don't get me wrong here. This exhaust is truly a work of art! If I could, I would put it on top my the hood instead of under the car! But we all know the slip will not make too much power. And seems the OP is a bit worried about the loudness of this slip on. I was only suggesting there are other ways to gain hp for the price. And I believe intake+pulley for the price will gain you similar, if not more hp, compared to the akropovic slip on for much less $$. (you can argue which brands are better). Now if money wasn't an issue, then sure - get the Evo, some BBS, and ESS.
Yeah, maybe I jumped on you a little too hard, and I apologize. Just seeing MS in there had me seeing red. LOL But if it is for HP gains then a filter is the same as a full intake IMO. The same with the sounds, the OEM filter is what really isolate the sounds, not the design of the charge pipe. As far as money goes, I'm not a wealthy person but I do believe in doing it right the first time. I will never need to shop for another exhaust system for the M3. Never. Never ever. Well, you get the point and that never was the point but I felt the need to point it out anyway.
armyav8tor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #50
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
 
E93Blackhawk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i M sport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: London

Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ree View Post
i dont think my pops is on board to go spend 6K on that, its pretty much tubi or slip on.. i dont want anything rediculously loud, just throaty and mean.. i also have the gruppe M intake about to be put on..
Did your dad pay for your car, or does he pay to run it?

If not.. tell him to bugger off its your m3 you can do what you want


And yes, I wouldnt even bother with the slip on, the full system is there for a reason and you get a lot better performance from it.
E93Blackhawk is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST