BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
BMWM3RED
Private
BMWM3RED's Avatar
3
Rep
59
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe Red
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

1200 Mile Service

I was trying to get the 1200 mile service light to come and then park it. I have my service scheduled Feb 6th. So, at 1203 the light did not come on...is there some sort of "average" mileage that it comes on?

M3Red
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Sean05's Avatar
Philippines
89
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Just go no light but i belive it shoul cant remember mine if it came on.... Its got 57k now... Lol
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
MKE_M3's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,690
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (0)

my appointment is on Tuesday and I'm a little short. I've definately got some driving to do. Hopefully it doesn't take too many miles.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Bimmer Freeeek!
Live Fast. Die Young.
Bimmer Freeeek!'s Avatar
5
Rep
189
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 E92 ///M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sunshine State

iTrader: (0)

Mine is already on. I believe the indicator went off around ~800 miles. I'm at 950 now and will be having my car serviced later this week. My service advisor said they can do it anytime between 1000-1200 miles.
__________________

2012 M3 E92 SS-II
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
MKE_M3's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,690
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (0)

my SA said you had to have the light on. Guess it depends on how nice they want to be.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

It's not a big deal if it's early. I got my first one done at 900 in Heidelberg and the second done at 1200 plus here at home. Just get it done.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
PhillyNate's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
2,039
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
My indicator started warning at about 900 miles.
__________________

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT-86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
heart_doctor
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
202
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: May 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3RED
I was trying to get the 1200 mile service light to come and then park it. I have my service scheduled Feb 6th. So, at 1203 the light did not come on...is there some sort of "average" mileage that it comes on?

M3Red
Depends on how hard you drive the car, you must be really babying it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
newbieguy
Private First Class
newbieguy's Avatar
4
Rep
128
Posts

 
Drives: 11' Space Gray E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

they can do the 1200 miles service early and not have to wait for the service light to come on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3RED View Post
I was trying to get the 1200 mile service light to come and then park it. I have my service scheduled Feb 6th. So, at 1203 the light did not come on...is there some sort of "average" mileage that it comes on?

M3Red
__________________
11' E92 M3 Space Grey
09' E92 M3 Space Grey - Gone but not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
BMWM3RED
Private
BMWM3RED's Avatar
3
Rep
59
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe Red
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
It's not a big deal if it's early. I got my first one done at 900 in Heidelberg and the second done at 1200 plus here at home. Just get it done.
For sure going to get it done. It also pulls to the right a bit and the passenger headlight is loose. Really, $70K and the headlight is loose. Geeze !
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
BMWM3RED
Private
BMWM3RED's Avatar
3
Rep
59
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe Red
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_doctor View Post
Depends on how hard you drive the car, you must be really babying it.
Most all of the miles have been on the highway. I have had my share of 7500 rpms by accident, but I have been doing the 5500 rpm shifts for the most part. Highway miles are the easiest on an engine. So it should be broken in very nicely.

Today, i just did a steady 60 mph in 6th for about 3 miles after resetting the MPG meter and it was getting 25.8 mpg...DANG...that is better then my Tacoma with a 4 cyl.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
BMWM3RED
Private
BMWM3RED's Avatar
3
Rep
59
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe Red
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_doctor View Post
Depends on how hard you drive the car, you must be really babying it.
Not really have driven it hard at all. I know a lot of cars have the service light come on and it is governed by the number of revolutions the engine does. And since my miles have been mostly highway, it doesnt sit at a light very much racking up the revolutions. That maybe why it has not come on yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
BMWM3RED
Private
BMWM3RED's Avatar
3
Rep
59
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe Red
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
Just go no light but i belive it shoul cant remember mine if it came on.... Its got 57k now... Lol
I see the pic of the car does not have a front license tag. I wish I did not have to have one. But, the very nice front body colored plate mount that came with the car that was in the trunk does look nice
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
Canada
149
Rep
7,863
Posts

 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I'm still early ... only at 900 KM (560 Miles) right now ...
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
DBH
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
349
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 E92
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Don't worry about the when the service indicator comes on. The service is due when the service light comes on OR 1,200 miles, which ever comes first. Bring your car in on Feb 6 for the 1200 mile service - a couple hundered miles over won't make a difference. BTW, had mine done at 1,335 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
USMC M3
Devil Dog
United_States
1
Rep
134
Posts

 
Drives: F82
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

1204 miles, no light and I still went in and did the service.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #17
BMWM3RED
Private
BMWM3RED's Avatar
3
Rep
59
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe Red
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBH View Post
Don't worry about the when the service indicator comes on. The service is due when the service light comes on OR 1,200 miles, which ever comes first. Bring your car in on Feb 6 for the 1200 mile service - a couple hundered miles over won't make a difference. BTW, had mine done at 1,335 miles.
Yes, since 1200 of mostly highway miles, is not the same as 1200 around town miles. The oil is probably still clean. I have always changed my own oil my whole life and you can really tell the difference between the two.

Something tells me that the light is revolution based, not miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
BMWM3RED
Private
BMWM3RED's Avatar
3
Rep
59
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe Red
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBH View Post
Don't worry about the when the service indicator comes on. The service is due when the service light comes on OR 1,200 miles, which ever comes first. Bring your car in on Feb 6 for the 1200 mile service - a couple hundered miles over won't make a difference. BTW, had mine done at 1,335 miles.
Yes, they will give me a loaner....maybe I can "rag" that car....

I wont really, but loaners are loaners....

I am tired of the loose headlight...i am sure the people that see the jumping headlight must think i got a piece of junk behind them
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3RED View Post
For sure going to get it done. It also pulls to the right a bit and the passenger headlight is loose. Really, $70K and the headlight is loose. Geeze !
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3RED View Post
Most all of the miles have been on the highway. I have had my share of 7500 rpms by accident, but I have been doing the 5500 rpm shifts for the most part. Highway miles are the easiest on an engine. So it should be broken in very nicely.

Today, i just did a steady 60 mph in 6th for about 3 miles after resetting the MPG meter and it was getting 25.8 mpg...DANG...that is better then my Tacoma with a 4 cyl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3RED View Post
Not really have driven it hard at all. I know a lot of cars have the service light come on and it is governed by the number of revolutions the engine does. And since my miles have been mostly highway, it doesnt sit at a light very much racking up the revolutions. That maybe why it has not come on yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3RED View Post
I see the pic of the car does not have a front license tag. I wish I did not have to have one. But, the very nice front body colored plate mount that came with the car that was in the trunk does look nice
Multi quote is your friend. Hit the quote marks on the right on all the posts you want in the reply and then hit quote on the last post. Voila!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #20
Quag's M
Enlisted Member
Quag's M's Avatar
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN

iTrader: (0)

750 miles; I received a phone call for the upcoming service. 800 miles the light came on.
__________________
2012 M3 Coupe|6MT|Space Gray|Comp|Ext Black Leather|Premium..with a touch of Dinan
Previous: 335i Coupe Dinan S2
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #21
WBMW5S
Enlisted Member
WBMW5S's Avatar
3
Rep
45
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 535I SPORT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Got my 1,200 mile service sch for Tuesday the 31st. My service light does not stay on but when i crank it up the service light lights up for a second and shows me how many miles left until the service is due. I have like 25 miles left so it should be pretty close to the 1,200 mark when i arrive at the service center.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #22
CPB
Second Lieutenant
CPB's Avatar
2
Rep
204
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

My service reminder has already come on.....after only 650 miles driven.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST