BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
MRSSIIM3
General
 
MRSSIIM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,195
iTrader: (5)

Failed State Inspection

heres a little background on the car: innotech catless exhaust system, evolve automotive tune and window tint and no front license plate

knew things werent going to be easy getting state inspection done for the first time. ended up going to my dealership because they usually hook me up

they didnt care about the tint, didnt care about front license plate...

but they hooked up the OBDII to the car and it said "Not Ready"...

anyone know why this might be the case? I did a search and found a really old thread with a guy saying if your exhaust is catless, itll show up as "not ready" but nobody really agreed or said anything about that. could that be the case? there are no check engine lights or anything and I scanned with BT tool and there were no codes thrown because Sal @ Evolve made me a new file that wouldnt throw any codes for the exhaust

how do i get past the "not ready"? I have 30 days to get it reinspected

update
so i loaded up the 'stock tune' that I read off the car before messing with the software and I can confirm that stock tune + innotech exhaust = passing state inspection. i loaded stock tune, cleared all codes, drove the car for a few hundred miles and then got the inspection done and it passed and no check engine lights or codes at all
__________________
Current: 2013 E92 M3, SSII, Black extended, ZCP, fully loaded
Mods: Black Hood Vents, Black Grilles, Black Side Grilles, Lux H8 v. 4.0, CF Mirrors, CF Spoiler, Black ///M Emblem, Evolve Tune, Dinan CF Intake, Dinan Pulley, Akrapovic GT4
Retired: 2011.5 E92 M3, SSII

Last edited by MRSSIIM3; 02-08-2012 at 11:43 PM.
MRSSIIM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,065
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSIIM3 View Post
heres a little background on the car: innotech catless exhaust system, evolve automotive tune and window tint and no front license plate

knew things werent going to be easy getting state inspection done for the first time. ended up going to my dealership because they usually hook me up

they didnt care about the tint, didnt care about front license plate...

but they hooked up the OBDII to the car and it said "Not Ready"...

anyone know why this might be the case? I did a search and found a really old thread with a guy saying if your exhaust is catless, itll show up as "not ready" but nobody really agreed or said anything about that. could that be the case? there are no check engine lights or anything and I scanned with BT tool and there were no codes thrown because Sal @ Evolve made me a new file that wouldnt throw any codes for the exhaust

how do i get past the "not ready"? I have 30 days to get it reinspected
Your avatar says OC, but I'm guessing you're not in CA.

Your tune is causing the issue. They do that so the computer doesn't throw a CEL since you have no cats. No way around it cause if they make the sensors show ready, then you will get the CEL. Only thing that I am aware of is putting the cats back on.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
guess2098
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2010 AW M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rowland Heights, CA

Posts: 188
iTrader: (1)

catless exhaust system <----- problem

no error code cuz this error code disable doesnt mean anything during inspection
guess2098 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

Yup, gotta re-tune the car and put your cats back on.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,444
iTrader: (2)

^This. Your Evolve tune turned off the rear O2 sensors to prevent the CEL from coming on due to cat inefficiency which is caused by your catless exhaust setup. The only way to get past the readiness test is to have the rear O2 sensors on. The only way I know to do this is to (1) get a new tune from Evovle with rear O2s turned on and (2) reinstall OEM cats (most HFCs also need the rear O2s off to avoid a CEL). Good luck!
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
P@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
P@Evolve's Avatar
 
Drives: Quick enough
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US

Posts: 352
iTrader: (1)

Yep - you go catless and you will fail emissions.

We can turn off the CEL but that's all we are doing, turning it off.

You can load in your original tune so you are not tuned at all... but your 02 sensors will then pick up on you not having cats, and will throw a CEL.

Get the original cats in and reload your stock tune with the Evolve-R and your good to go
P@Evolve is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
 
akh23456's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philly

Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.28]
2013 f10 M5  [0.00]
how did the info work out?
__________________

F10 M5: 11.546 127.41 with a 1.938 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
akh23456 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #8
mjf6175
Private
 
mjf6175's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP; 09 Viper Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ

Posts: 57
iTrader: (0)

I guess I am missing something here. But doesn't the Innotech exhaust suppose to NOT cause a CEL even though catless? I know there have been others on here with the Innotech and said they have not gotten a CEL. Are there others with the Innotech exhaust and getting the CEL? If indeed the Innotech does not throw the CEL just have the tune modified to turn on the rear O2 sensors(have them show as "ready") and you should pass inspection. While you are suppose to have cats to pass inspection, depending on the state you live in many do not physically look to see if they are there. In NJ and NY my experience is they plug into the OBD but don't look under the car and try to locate the cat. I was planning on an Innotech exhaust for this reason. Anyone in NY or NJ who has an Innotech and pass inspection?
mjf6175 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
MRSSIIM3
General
 
MRSSIIM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,195
iTrader: (5)

Evolve made me a new file that turns back the O2 sensor readiness so hopefully this works because Innotech is doing its own thing regarding CEL. Gonna get it retested tomorrow and let you guys know what happens. I would consider putting stock exhaust back on but it was a 5hour exhaust installation because of the wiring for the Innotech so I don't wanna end up paying 500+ for this :/
__________________
Current: 2013 E92 M3, SSII, Black extended, ZCP, fully loaded
Mods: Black Hood Vents, Black Grilles, Black Side Grilles, Lux H8 v. 4.0, CF Mirrors, CF Spoiler, Black ///M Emblem, Evolve Tune, Dinan CF Intake, Dinan Pulley, Akrapovic GT4
Retired: 2011.5 E92 M3, SSII
MRSSIIM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
 
Poppin Fresh's Avatar
 
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bergen County NJ

Posts: 2,128
iTrader: (0)

I foresee a WTB OEM cats thread in your near future (30 days)
__________________
Poppin Fresh is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
mjf6175
Private
 
mjf6175's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP; 09 Viper Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ

Posts: 57
iTrader: (0)

ScherrSchnell...thanks for the info but I was aware of that already. My point was that while any catless system can cause a CEL the Innotech is suppose to NOT trigger a CEL. If so, then you don't need a tune; and if you do want a tune have the tune customized to NOT turn off the rear O2 sensor. All of the tunes I know of do this to the rear O2 sensor so you don't "see" a CEL. But turning off the rear sensor makes you fail emissions testing because when the State plugs into the OBD port they will NOT get a "ready" signal for the rear O2 sensor.

MRSIIM3...let me know how you make out. I guess you will have to drive around awhile to see if the Innotech does indeed do what it promises and no CEL happens after some miles get put on it. If your tune has been modified to show the rear sensor "ready" you should pass inspection.

Last edited by mjf6175; 01-26-2012 at 11:43 AM.
mjf6175 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 3,901
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Interesting... I believe your car in probably in HI, which has one of the most strict inspections. In the state of WA, they test the exhaust fume.
tha_good_life is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
kitw
Colonel
 
kitw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 2,417
iTrader: (14)

If you have the Innotech and don't get a check engine light without the tune, you should be ok. The problem is that you cannot complete the readiness tests with the check for 02 sensor turned off. If you can flash back to stock and drive around for a few days to let the readiness checks complete (you can check with any OBD-2 tool) and not get a CEL, you're in good shape. I know that I've seen an Innotech go for a decent amount of time without throwing a CEL due to the huge thing they welded into the x-pipe, in front of the 02 sensor. In theory, that should work.
kitw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
BimmerB
Captain
 
BimmerB's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 335ci White
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn

Posts: 928
iTrader: (1)

I have HFC cats with Tune (o2 disabled)...

Reflashed to stock map, drove for 1 hour below 55mph and 3rpm, and CEL never came up. Still failed readiness test.
Drove normal for 2 weeks with stock map and no CEL, still failed readiness test.
Drove for a month with stock map and no CEL, still failed readiness test.

I eventually got a sticker for safety, but I need to figure out a solution before next years full inspection.

SOrry to hijack thread, but i think this will help the general public.
__________________
'11 E90 IB M3 6MT
ESS Tune | Mach Schnell Drop-In Filter | Challenge Sport HFC X-Pipe | Active Autowerke Exhaust | Eibach Springs | 20" BBS RS-GT /w Yokohama Advan Sport | IND IB Kidney and Side Grills

Retired - '08 E92 AW 335i 6MT V4 & '01 E46 TB 330ci 5MT
BimmerB is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
P@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
P@Evolve's Avatar
 
Drives: Quick enough
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US

Posts: 352
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerB View Post
I have HFC cats with Tune (o2 disabled)...

Reflashed to stock map, drove for 1 hour below 55mph and 3rpm, and CEL never came up. Still failed readiness test.
Drove normal for 2 weeks with stock map and no CEL, still failed readiness test.
Drove for a month with stock map and no CEL, still failed readiness test.

I eventually got a sticker for safety, but I need to figure out a solution before next years full inspection.

SOrry to hijack thread, but i think this will help the general public.
You may have not completed the drive cycle:

P@Evolve is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #16
BimmerB
Captain
 
BimmerB's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 335ci White
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn

Posts: 928
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Evolve View Post
You may have not completed the drive cycle:

Awesome Paul... Thanks for the info!
__________________
'11 E90 IB M3 6MT
ESS Tune | Mach Schnell Drop-In Filter | Challenge Sport HFC X-Pipe | Active Autowerke Exhaust | Eibach Springs | 20" BBS RS-GT /w Yokohama Advan Sport | IND IB Kidney and Side Grills

Retired - '08 E92 AW 335i 6MT V4 & '01 E46 TB 330ci 5MT
BimmerB is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
ES_TRADER
Colonel
 
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 2,476
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Evolve View Post
Yep - you go catless and you will fail emissions.

We can turn off the CEL but that's all we are doing, turning it off.

You can load in your original tune so you are not tuned at all... but your 02 sensors will then pick up on you not having cats, and will throw a CEL.

Get the original cats in and reload your stock tune with the Evolve-R and your good to go
im looking to get a tune too for my akra evo..havent decided where yet because now i am worried about this "SHADOW" memory our cars have and returning it to stock tune will allow the dealer to deny any and all engine warranties.

Can you elaborate more regarding this concern?
ES_TRADER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #18
alpine335i
Captain
 
alpine335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e92 M3 6MT, 08 e90 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY

Posts: 687
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf6175
I guess I am missing something here. But doesn't the Innotech exhaust suppose to NOT cause a CEL even though catless? I know there have been others on here with the Innotech and said they have not gotten a CEL. Are there others with the Innotech exhaust and getting the CEL? If indeed the Innotech does not throw the CEL just have the tune modified to turn on the rear O2 sensors(have them show as "ready") and you should pass inspection. While you are suppose to have cats to pass inspection, depending on the state you live in many do not physically look to see if they are there. In NJ and NY my experience is they plug into the OBD but don't look under the car and try to locate the cat. I was planning on an Innotech exhaust for this reason. Anyone in NY or NJ who has an Innotech and pass inspection?
I passed NY inspection no prob with no cats and OE tune. NY you can pass with one monitor not set. Not sure how it works in NJ.
__________________
2008 Alpine White E92 ///M3
alpine335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

Posts: 1,558
iTrader: (3)

OE seems to have the only tune that can do this.
pbonsalb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #20
kpayne8980
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Louisiana

Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

If you clear the code just before you get there you should be ok it takes about 20 min of driving for the light to come on. I'm not sure how they inspect over there but if they don't run you car for 15 min it should work.
kpayne8980 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #21
alpine335i
Captain
 
alpine335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e92 M3 6MT, 08 e90 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY

Posts: 687
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpayne8980
If you clear the code just before you get there you should be ok it takes about 20 min of driving for the light to come on. I'm not sure how they inspect over there but if they don't run you car for 15 min it should work.
Wrong, cel won't be on but monitors won't be ready.
__________________
2008 Alpine White E92 ///M3
alpine335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #22
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
 
Bluesummer's Avatar
 
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nürburgring, be there once, your heart, your soul will stay there.

Posts: 15,406
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Why do you need a state inspection done for 2011? Did you get pulled over?
__________________

R.I.P. Steve Noh
Bluesummer is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST