BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
alpina527
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, England

Posts: 638
iTrader: (1)

Is Plug ins album art possible with ipod classic?

I have an old ipod classic 160gb in my armrest. This can carry my complete music collection which saves me snapping in the iphone on short trips.

When I play the classic through the usb with the white lead, I get the regular album art on both sides of the split screen which looks a bit odd. I would prefer a better looking screen.

I can run it through an iphone adapter lead via the media snap in and video works fine.

The thing I would really like is to run the ipod through either cabling method with the plug ins album art screen.

Is it possible to run an ipod classic through the plug in interface? If not, can a 32gb flash drive in the Usb be configured to run with the plug in screen?

Car is a 2008 with Cic and combox retrofit with media snap in.
alpina527 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,528
iTrader: (0)

If you want the real plug in screen, you need 6NR retrofit.
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
alpina527
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, England

Posts: 638
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
If you want the real plug in screen, you need 6NR retrofit.
That's what I've got. It all works fine with an iphone 4s.

I'm trying to find out if I can use an ipod classic or a USB flash drive through the Plug in interface screen, not just the regular ipod screen.

I can plug the ipod into the snap in with a cable, so thought there might be a possibility of it working. Would it work with e newer generation ipod?

Last edited by alpina527; 02-02-2012 at 08:45 AM.
alpina527 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina527 View Post
That's what I've got. It all works fine with an iphone 4s.

I'm trying to find out if I can use an ipod classic or a USB flash drive through the Plug in interface screen, not just the regular ipod screen.

I can plug the ipod into the snap in with a cable, so thought there might be a possibility of it working. Would it work with e newer generation ipod?
A newer classic might work. I doubt anyone can tell you for sure. I recommend getting a female to male 30-pin connector, and trying to plug your Classic into the media cradle. That's a cheap way to test.
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
alpina527
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, England

Posts: 638
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
A newer classic might work. I doubt anyone can tell you for sure. I recommend getting a female to male 30-pin connector, and trying to plug your Classic into the media cradle. That's a cheap way to test.
I have the gen5 classic with the latest firmware. Videos and artwork are fine through the extension cable that I'm already using on the snap in.

Does anyone have any form of ipod/USB flash drive that runs through either cable (via USB socket or cabled to the snap in media) that will run through the 'Plug In' interface screen?
alpina527 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,480
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina527 View Post
I have the gen5 classic with the latest firmware. Videos and artwork are fine through the extension cable that I'm already using on the snap in.

Does anyone have any form of ipod/USB flash drive that runs through either cable (via USB socket or cabled to the snap in media) that will run through the 'Plug In' interface screen?
is the extension cable you are using look similar to this?
i was thinking of getting one and run it so it comes out of the front ashtray
the plug in adapter sucks if you put your iphone in a case
it won't fit!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Music-...item20bcf6bab7
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
alpina527
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, England

Posts: 638
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
is the extension cable you are using look similar to this?
i was thinking of getting one and run it so it comes out of the front ashtray
the plug in adapter sucks if you put your iphone in a case
it won't fit!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Music-...item20bcf6bab7
Yes, that's similar to the cable that I'm using to connect my ipod to the snap in
alpina527 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
apw2607
Major
 
Drives: 2009 X5 35d
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Posts: 1,428
iTrader: (0)

iPod out Or what bmw call plugin is a function of iOS. I don't believe the iPod actually runs iOS.
apw2607 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
alpina527
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, England

Posts: 638
iTrader: (1)

Ahh, thanks. That explains it.

Do you know how to organise the mp3 files on a USB to allow album art to be shown?

I have embedded the album art on all my tracks, but still no album art from USB.
alpina527 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #10
apw2607
Major
 
Drives: 2009 X5 35d
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Posts: 1,428
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina527 View Post
Ahh, thanks. That explains it.

Do you know how to organise the mp3 files on a USB to allow album art to be shown?

I have embedded the album art on all my tracks, but still no album art from USB.
It should. You shouldn't have to do anything special. I use iTunes and all my tracks shown up fine with album art running off a USB stick.
apw2607 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST