BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
eddiek
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: '09 E93 DCT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Ceramic Brake Pad Recs?

I'm very interested in getting new brake pads which hopefully would significantly decrease all of the brake dust on the wheels. I don't track the car but I'd like to have similar performance to the OEMs, being smooth modulated stopping power that is quiet. I've read about the Hawk and Stoptech products but there doesn't seem to be any consensus as to what people like the best. Any thoughts? Thanks.
eddiek is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Chris__B
New Member
 
Chris__B's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E34 540i/6 M-Technik
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
I'm very interested in getting new brake pads which hopefully would significantly decrease all of the brake dust on the wheels. I don't track the car but I'd like to have similar performance to the OEMs, being smooth modulated stopping power that is quiet. I've read about the Hawk and Stoptech products but there doesn't seem to be any consensus as to what people like the best. Any thoughts? Thanks.
You will be happiest with the Hawk Performance Ceramic compound, but keep in mind almost all "ceramic" pads will not perform as well as the better semi-metallic compounds. They are smooth and quiet, though.

Chris
Chris__B is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
elh0102
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

I've had good luck with the Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic pads. Very little dust, no noise, good street performance.
__________________
2011 Space Gray Coupe, DCT, ZCP, StopTech ST-60/ST-40 BBK.
elh0102 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Legion5
Major
 
Legion5's Avatar
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,373
iTrader: (12)

I've looked into every cermaic brake pad there is including tracking down back to back comparisons, which was amazingly hard and Akebono cermaic pads (they only make 1 kind for these cars) were the best.
__________________

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Legion5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
eddiek
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: '09 E93 DCT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the help. Have you had a hard time finding a brake shop to replace the pads? I've called a couple of random shops who have said that they didn't want to do it because the sensor and a couple of other things would have to be replaced.
eddiek is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
signes
Brigadier General
 
signes's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

Posts: 4,207
iTrader: (3)

Iron disks and ceramic pads? Just curious for those who run them how they do on the street. Also seems like they would not provide as good performance as a more aggressive track pad for lapping days.
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18

Last edited by signes; 05-08-2011 at 10:40 PM.
signes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
Chris__B
New Member
 
Chris__B's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E34 540i/6 M-Technik
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Steel disks and ceramic pads? Just curious for those who run them how they do on the street. Also seems like they would not provide as good performance as a more aggressive track pad for lapping days.
"Ceramic" pads are essentially low-metallic content semi-met pads that have at least 7% of ceramic content. For the cheaper pads, this is usually beach sand. Running on iron discs (no cars have steel discs), a "ceramic" pad usually has less grip and a lower MOT (maximum operating temperature), so they are not suitable at all for track use. The main benefit of ceramic pads is less dust and (often, but not always) less noise. Track enthusiasts will not be happy with any ceramic pad currently on the market.

Chris
Chris__B is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,101
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
I'm very interested in getting new brake pads which hopefully would significantly decrease all of the brake dust on the wheels. I don't track the car but I'd like to have similar performance to the OEMs, being smooth modulated stopping power that is quiet. I've read about the Hawk and Stoptech products but there doesn't seem to be any consensus as to what people like the best. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Hawk HPS is what you want, IMO... that's what I used to have (2008 E90 M3, steel brake lines as well) and they were much better than OEM pads in everything: feel and confidence in normal and hard stops -on and off track- and extremelly low dust.

I will get the same brake setup again in my new 2012 E92 M3.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone

Last edited by Technic; 04-22-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
geneatals
Ninja
 
geneatals's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal (SFV)

Posts: 3,206
iTrader: (2)

hawk hps pads on my car....almost no brake dust and very similar bite to stock. I have no plans on tracking my car so the hps pads are a no brainer for me. I got them from vendor/member acuteperformance, his price was the best I found..service and fast shopping with him is A+++ as well...
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 AW l Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL l Pics/Mods
Retired: 2008 535i l AW l Black Dakota Leather l Bamboo Anthracite l ZPP l ZSP l 6FL
geneatals is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
signes
Brigadier General
 
signes's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

Posts: 4,207
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__B View Post
"Ceramic" pads are essentially low-metallic content semi-met pads that have at least 7% of ceramic content. For the cheaper pads, this is usually beach sand. Running on iron discs (no cars have steel discs), a "ceramic" pad usually has less grip and a lower MOT (maximum operating temperature), so they are not suitable at all for track use. The main benefit of ceramic pads is less dust and (often, but not always) less noise. Track enthusiasts will not be happy with any ceramic pad currently on the market.

Chris
Thanks (meant iron, short handing "metal" with steel.) So verifies my assumption about less grip. Seems like a bad trade for less dust IMO.
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
signes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #11
swifty
Major
 
Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

Posts: 1,260
iTrader: (5)

Now that it's 2014, is Hawk HPS still what you guys would recommend for better street performance and less brake dust than OEM?

Will this brake pad cause any issues in winter?

Will appreciate any feedback cuz I'm starting to hate all the brake dust accumulating right after a wash.
__________________
__________________
Past: '89 Cutlass, Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Sapphire Black e60 530, Space Grey 2008 e92 335, Mineral White 2011 e92 335

Current: FO e92 M3
swifty is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,101
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
I have a set of Hawk HPS pads in my Brembo BBK for more than 2 years... still a much better set of pads than OEM. The Brembo pads included in the BBK are great, much more bite than the HPS obviously (I think that they cost about 3 times the cost of the HPS pads), great for light track duty. However they dust like crazy and worse, the dust becomes a sticky paste when wet.

That was too much for normal driving to me, so the decision was easy: Hawk HPS pads again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Now that it's 2014, is Hawk HPS still what you guys would recommend for better street performance and less brake dust than OEM?

Will this brake pad cause any issues in winter?

Will appreciate any feedback cuz I'm starting to hate all the brake dust accumulating right after a wash.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
330indy
CCA member
 
330indy's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

Posts: 904
iTrader: (0)

I like the Cool Carbon pads on mine
__________________
V8 M3 in the barn

E46 330i 2002: DD; Z4M 2006- sold; E39 530i 2001- sold; E36 325iC 1994- sold
330indy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
swifty
Major
 
Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

Posts: 1,260
iTrader: (5)

^ You drive yours in winter? Any issues when it's cold out? How is the noise?
__________________
__________________
Past: '89 Cutlass, Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Sapphire Black e60 530, Space Grey 2008 e92 335, Mineral White 2011 e92 335

Current: FO e92 M3
swifty is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #15
swifty
Major
 
Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

Posts: 1,260
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
I have a set of Hawk HPS pads in my Brembo BBK for more than 2 years... still a much better set of pads than OEM. The Brembo pads included in the BBK are great, much more bite than the HPS obviously (I think that they cost about 3 times the cost of the HPS pads), great for light track duty. However they dust like crazy and worse, the dust becomes a sticky paste when wet.

That was too much for normal driving to me, so the decision was easy: Hawk HPS pads again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Now that it's 2014, is Hawk HPS still what you guys would recommend for better street performance and less brake dust than OEM?

Will this brake pad cause any issues in winter?

Will appreciate any feedback cuz I'm starting to hate all the brake dust accumulating right after a wash.
I'm guessing the performance of these pads such as initial bite, noise etc is different when used with BBK and OEM.
__________________
__________________
Past: '89 Cutlass, Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Sapphire Black e60 530, Space Grey 2008 e92 335, Mineral White 2011 e92 335

Current: FO e92 M3
swifty is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #16
Trip3's
Lieutenant
 
Trip3's's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Long island

Posts: 445
iTrader: (0)

I have Akebono Euro Ceramic pads and there is no dust whatsoever after a week, where with OEM they were dirty in a day. IMO they have similar bite to stock. From what I read I would definitely no take them on the track. The cool thing is you don't have to bed them in either!
__________________
Trip3's is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #17
330indy
CCA member
 
330indy's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

Posts: 904
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty
^ You drive yours in winter? Any issues when it's cold out? How is the noise?
A rare squeak here and there.
No driving in winter but yes on cool mornings.
Great bite and no appreciable dust
__________________
V8 M3 in the barn

E46 330i 2002: DD; Z4M 2006- sold; E39 530i 2001- sold; E36 325iC 1994- sold
330indy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #18
Sleeper519
Captain
 
Sleeper519's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 763
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__B View Post
"Ceramic" pads are essentially low-metallic content semi-met pads that have at least 7% of ceramic content. For the cheaper pads, this is usually beach sand. Running on iron discs (no cars have steel discs), a "ceramic" pad usually has less grip and a lower MOT (maximum operating temperature), so they are not suitable at all for track use. The main benefit of ceramic pads is less dust and (often, but not always) less noise. Track enthusiasts will not be happy with any ceramic pad currently on the market.

Chris
Really? How about Carbotech, Cobalt Friction, and others, they claim to be "ceramic" material, and are pretty widely accepted race pads.
__________________

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Sleeper519 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST