BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Lux Angel Eyes

01-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
EvanZHP
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW M3

This is Irritating..

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I just picked up my 2013 AW stripper from a dealership about 3 hours away from me. The vehicle is CPO and I purchased it from the dealership because it was coming off lease and was owned by their body shop manager.

The vehicle sat on their lot for about 6 months before I ran across it, so I looked into it, and the mileage only went up about 200 miles in 6 months (their BMW Genius took it out once in a while on his calls, and I'm sure it went on some test drives in that time).

Fast forward 8 days into my ownership: my "brand new" CPO M3 is at my local dealership getting a new differential put in because it was whining. 4th/5th/6th gear, between 2k-3k RPM, there was a very audible whining noise coming from the rear end. The vehicle has gone 850 miles (250 of that being the drive home) and used almost a liter of oil, and the fucking hood latch wasn't shut all the way before I took delivery, so it damn near flew up on the freeway during my drive home.

This is what irritates me: I emailed the dealership about this because there is no reason I should be driving a 2017 320i rental car 8 days into my delivery and ownership. They had a 4-day heads-up before I came down to get the vehicle, and when I arrived, it was in service getting an oil change and a REAR DIFFERENTIAL SERVICE. Their response was less than ideal, as the salesperson was so apologetic, I almost felt bad emailing them, but the GM of that dealership asked what it is I wanted from them?! How about a new differential and a new long block on your dime, whether BMWNA approves it or not (I would probably settle for the M-series golf bag they have in the lobby...).

The "glass-half-full" side to all of this is that Dave Walter BMW in Akron IMMEDIATELY put a rear differential in the vehicle for me without even breaking a sweat. I should be getting it back today at some point, and they told me they would start documenting the oil consumption of this particular car (yes, I know BMW says 1L/1000mi), but even the shop foreman was surprised at such a consumption rate. Hopefully, I have these guys in my corner from now on because I'm infatuated with this car; it's miles above my E46, but I'm not going to continue taking this car in for warranty service because the dealership prior doesn't know how to take care of a car. Obviously, I would like to modify the car a little, but I'm not touching it until ALL of this is cleared up. I have until 2020 to get it all taken care of.

What a bummer.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
spiderspider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, E90 328i, E46 330i

the differential can be noisy. some people (myself included) use the fluid with the added friction modifier. not sure if your noise was normal or not. When i first received my car, it showed an add oil warning, but have not noticed any oil consumption in the 15K miles since.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
EvanZHP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderspider View Post
the differential can be noisy. some people (myself included) use the fluid with the added friction modifier. not sure if your noise was normal or not. When i first received my car, it showed an add oil warning, but have not noticed any oil consumption in the 15K miles since.
Yeahhhhhhh, I know. This is my 5th M car. I've been the service manager at a few automotive facilities, and I know what certain sounds are acceptable and which ones are not. At first, I didn't worry about it, but the sound continued to get louder. I'm not that owner that freaks out at every little "M" noise, but M3, Subaru Outback, Toyota 4Runner, whatever; rear differentials do not whine. According to the dealership that sold me the vehicle, it got that differential service prior to my delivery, as I stated.

Maybe the differential was not serviced appropriately? Maybe it was low? Maybe it had an issue beforehand; I'm not sure. All I know is that my output shaft bearing just got me a new differential because of all the noise it was causing. It really makes me anxious about the ownership of my M3. I guess that's why we have warranties.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Sephiroth
E92M circle jerker
India
Rep
Drives: dinosaurs

R E L A X

Its under warranty so just enjoy it
      01-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #5
EvanZHP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
R E L A X

Its under warranty so just enjoy it
The temp tags are still on the car, mate! I'm relaxed, but I'm irritated my shiney new toy is already getting fixed. It's been 50 and sunny here in Ohio, so it's prime time to be driving it!

Like I said, I better get it all figured out in the next year or two
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #6
Flying Ace
mdosu
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5d, Civic M3 w/1.5 psi off

meh. I agree that the car should have been ready on the agreed date free of any outstanding mechanical and maintenance issues.

Stuff like hood latching just shows a general lack of attention to details (I mean how hard is it to shut the hood properly?). But the diff whine, I'm not sure how they were suppose to have caught it. Did you want them to drive your M3 for 100 miles before they sold it to you? So relax, you found the issue, it's still under CPO, you got it fixed for free.
      01-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #7
EvanZHP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
meh. I agree that the car should have been ready on the agreed date free of any outstanding mechanical and maintenance issues.

Stuff like hood latching just shows a general lack of attention to details (I mean how hard is it to shut the hood properly?). But the diff whine, I'm not sure how they were suppose to have caught it. Did you want them to drive your M3 for 100 miles before they sold it to you? So relax, you found the issue, it's still under CPO, you got it fixed for free.
The vehicle was used by the dealership for 250 miles. So, yes, they covered 100 miles in my car for me. Then it got another diff flush when I picked it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #8
NashvegasR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92

How many miles on the car ?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #9
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT

01-23-2017, 07:45 PM   #10
EvanZHP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvegasR View Post
How many miles on the car ?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #11
EvanZHP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the6M3 View Post
Man, you guys are relentless around here

It truly isn't THAT big of a deal in retrospect, but it's irritating when you get a new thing and it's broken out of the box, no?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #12
Uber///M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
The differentials in these cars are inherently noisy anyway. Every single M3 I have ever driven, customers cars and my own, all whine. Some more than others. I did a diff flush on my M3 3 months ago and the fluid came out looking good, no friction material in the oil (feels like sand and has a greyish look) but it still whines. Checked backlash and it's all within spec. I decided not to worry about it. Glad you had CPO and getting a free diff. I'd be willing to be in 2 years or 20k miles it will be making noise again....

I agree it's frustrating to have issues with your new, used car... But it is used, and that inherently comes with risk.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #13
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanZHP View Post
Man, you guys are relentless around here

It truly isn't THAT big of a deal in retrospect, but it's irritating when you get a new thing and it's broken out of the box, no?
Well...when put into the context of the many current threads on here about people out of warranty blowing their engines due to rod bearing failure, it's got a bit of a first world problems vibe to it

That said, I'm sure it is frustrating
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #14
EvanZHP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
Well...when put into the context of the many current threads on here about people out of warranty blowing their engines due to rod bearing failure, it's got a bit of a first world problems vibe to it

That said, I'm sure it is frustrating
This is the most accurate thing I've read yet. Agreed; apologies from one of your resident newbies.

Speaking of that issue, I was going to change the bearings for piece of mind. Obviously I'm going to wait until closer to the warranty end now. Hopefully waiting doesn't cause any further issues. I'm not going to waste my time worrying about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 08:49 PM   #15
EvanZHP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber///M View Post
The differentials in these cars are inherently noisy anyway. Every single M3 I have ever driven, customers cars and my own, all whine. Some more than others. I did a diff flush on my M3 3 months ago and the fluid came out looking good, no friction material in the oil (feels like sand and has a greyish look) but it still whines. Checked backlash and it's all within spec. I decided not to worry about it. Glad you had CPO and getting a free diff. I'd be willing to be in 2 years or 20k miles it will be making noise again....

I agree it's frustrating to have issues with your new, used car... But it is used, and that inherently comes with risk.
That's crazy; out of the 5 I've owned, I've never had one whine on me at all. Good to know it isn't a worry in the future? BMW up here just told me they were throwing a differential in it for me. As I initially stated, it got louder after 800 miles. Consistency is one thing; I'm not a noise-chaser (after owning enough of these), but it was a lot louder by the time I drove it a little than it initially was.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #16
Uber///M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
That's crazy; out of the 5 I've owned, I've never had one whine on me at all. Good to know it isn't a worry in the future? BMW up here just told me they were throwing a differential in it for me. As I initially stated, it got louder after 800 miles. Consistency is one thing; I'm not a noise-chaser (after owning enough of these), but it was a lot louder by the time I drove it a little than it initially was.
The noise getting worse over time isn't normal. Im glad you are getting it fixed. I've driven these cars from new, to 20, 30, 90k miles and they all make a diff whine. Most do it worse on declaration, but the all do it. I may be more sensitive to it since Im a technician and have to listen for those things, but it's been common enough for me to warrant a consistent, slightly muffled whine from the diff..Normal

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 04:10 AM   #17
Helmsman
Colonel
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

I wouldn't say my whine at least not in a way its heard over the engine noise. Certainly grains in turns, and badly so when cold which however is kinda "healthy" in my view.

If they change the diff thats fine. I'd be much more worried over the oil consumption.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 04:17 AM   #18
Flying Ace
mdosu
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5d, Civic M3 w/1.5 psi off

Quote:
Originally Posted by the6M3 View Post

Thanks, now that you've started this.....

01-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #19
nick3753
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

How exactly do you know it consumed a liter of oil? The electronic dipstick is known to fluctuate often after an oil change for several days. It may not have consumed a drop, just was never filed completely.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #20
EvanZHP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
I wouldn't say my whine at least not in a way its heard over the engine noise. Certainly grains in turns, and badly so when cold which however is kinda "healthy" in my view.

If they change the diff thats fine. I'd be much more worried over the oil consumption.
You could certainly hear my whine over the engine. I didn't hear it my entire way back from the dealership, but after commuting to work and back for a week, even my girlfriend was asking me about the noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 09:04 AM   #21
EvanZHP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
How exactly do you know it consumed a liter of oil? The electronic dipstick is known to fluctuate often after an oil change for several days. It may not have consumed a drop, just was never filed completely.
I do know the electronic readings can be tricky, but I'm not talking one or two little squares on the monitor. I didn't make too much of a fuss about this to the dealership because I know the readings aren't set in stone, and these engines can be hungry for oil anyway. They said they'd top it off to the full line and we'll keep an eye on it for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #22
Helmsman
Colonel
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
You could certainly hear my whine over the engine. I didn't hear it my entire way back from the dealership, but after commuting to work and back for a week, even my girlfriend was asking me about the noise.
In that case it would be an issue in my ears regardless what others say. Still as you seem to get it replaced you'd be all good - new diff can never hurt!

Ps. Mine has btw around 31k miles on the clock.
Appreciate 0