BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #111
US///M3
Major
 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

Posts: 1,266
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
E90 per the thread title and first line of initial post.

your question really depends on what speed/rpm you were at when you missed the shift
According to AA he was doin 128mph, I guess it was a typo AA describing the OP's car as an e92 M3. If your rpm isn't high then goin from 4th into 3rd isn't gonna result in a money shift.
A stock engine can take 300rpm over redline without throwing a rod through the engine block.
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.
US///M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #112
Dodge2Dub
Captain
 
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 910
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
According to AA he was doin 128mph, I guess it was a typo AA describing the OP's car as an e92 M3. If your rpm isn't high then goin from 4th into 3rd isn't gonna result in a money shift.
A stock engine can take 300rpm over redline without throwing a rod through the engine block.
...but with boost and stock internals, who knows where the line is crossed from a miss shift to a money shift.
__________________
E90 M3: Some cool stuff...more to come
Ducati 1199 Panigale: Bucket full of mods
Dodge2Dub is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #113
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,430
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by akh23456 View Post
lol revving that high when the redline by active is set a 8100 deff a big no no. What do you expect when you over rev an engine stock or boost. Lol at the Ess advertisement
I think you're talking about what I said in regards to # of ESS SC's sold with no documented failures. I can understand why you, especially with history here and the subject of the thread, would make you feel that way. It was not my intention. It's completely relevant to the current discussion and the discernible paranoia about the S65 going on right now and it shouldn't bother you, but rather make you feel a little bit better that your car is most likely going to be okay.

Here's the relevant question I've yet to see asked. How many kits have all of Supercharger companies sold? How many documented failures do we know about? How many M3's have been sold vs. how many failures? I think it's a fair question and the fact that ESS has sold hundreds of kits without these types of failures, should answer some of those questions and let people feel a little more secure that it's unlikely they may have a failure stock or if their supercharger kit has a good history of units sold vs. failures.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #114
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,727
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
The Maximum engine speed recorded indicated 8705+ RPM when the factory rev limiter is set to 8300, and Active Autowerke clearly set the rev limiter to 8100RPM for the supercharged cars.

He was not at 6000 RPM when the engine failed.

The throttle position showed 36% opening and not 100% opening when the engine failed, this would indicate that the engine most likely was in a deceleration mode. Active suspects a driver mis-shift going from 4th to 5th gear and hitting 3rd by mistake. Why? Because the road speed at the time with the 36% throttle opening indicated a 207 KM/hr speed (128 MPH). If the supercharger created excessive load on the engine to break the connecting rod, the shadow memory would most likely indicate that the throttle would be closer to 100% opening where the maximum supercharged power is developed.
When was the maximum engine speed recorded? Just prior to the "event"?

If I'm reading this correctly, you think he missed an upshift from 4th to 5th and downshifted to 3rd instead? He would have had to be near redline in 4th at full throttle, attempting to bang it into 5th, but instead slipped it into 3rd, dumped the clutch, and dropped the hammer. Forget 8700, wouldn't that have broken the damn needle of the gauge? You wrote 8705+, what does that mean exactly? How long was the car at 36% throttle? An instant during the shift?
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #115
US///M3
Major
 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

Posts: 1,266
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub View Post
...but with boost and stock internals, who knows where the line is crossed from a miss shift to a money shift.
+1
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.
US///M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #116
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,430
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
Reading between the lines,the moral of the story is to go with ESS.

Thanks! Drew.
Based on how many units sold, and no documented failures I think it's a solid decision, but that's not to say other brands don't offer solid kits. Failures do happen, but that doesn't mean the company is not worthy at all, many of the best tuners in the car world have had failures, no doubt about it, but usually when they are pushing the limits in some way.

I don't know the exact # of how many units others have sold vs. failures, I can tell you it's probably not in the 300's based on forum traffic, but some believe that means nothing. I certainly think other companies are capable of developing great SC'r kits, but I would say that # is very low. Active has been doing this a long time, no reason to doubt their abilities based on this one failure, and I'm not sure who's fault the failure really is, we need more info, and frankly it's no one's business unless they chose to share it with us.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #117
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
 
akh23456's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philly

Posts: 2,079
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.28]
2013 f10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
I think you're talking about what I said in regards to # of ESS SC's sold with no documented failures. I can understand why you, especially with history here and the subject of the thread, would make you feel that way. It was not my intention. It's completely relevant to the current discussion and the discernible paranoia about the S65 going on right now and it shouldn't bother you, but rather make you feel a little bit better that your car is most likely going to be okay.

Here's the relevant question I've yet to see asked. How many kits have all of Supercharger companies sold? How many documented failures do we know about? How many M3's have been sold vs. how many failures? I think it's a fair question and the fact that ESS has sold hundreds of kits without these types of failures, should answer some of those questions and let people feel a little more secure that it's unlikely they may have a failure stock or if their supercharger kit has a good history of units sold vs. failures.

Lol i have been sure about my kit since the day i bought it. People can say other wise about someone else motor with the ess kit which people rarely speak of why is that? Oh i know the Non-disclourse agreement.
__________________

F10 M5: 11.546 127.41 with a 1.938 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
akh23456 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #118
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
 
BMRLVR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 2,325
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
The Maximum engine speed recorded indicated 8705+ RPM when the factory rev limiter is set to 8300, and Active Autowerke clearly set the rev limiter to 8100RPM for the supercharged cars.

He was not at 6000 RPM when the engine failed.

The throttle position showed 36% opening and not 100% opening when the engine failed, this would indicate that the engine most likely was in a deceleration mode. Active suspects a driver mis-shift going from 4th to 5th gear and hitting 3rd by mistake. Why? Because the road speed at the time with the 36% throttle opening indicated a 207 KM/hr speed (128 MPH). If the supercharger created excessive load on the engine to break the connecting rod, the shadow memory would most likely indicate that the throttle would be closer to 100% opening where the maximum supercharged power is developed.
When was the maximum engine speed recorded? Just prior to the "event"?

If I'm reading this correctly, you think he missed an upshift from 4th to 5th and downshifted to 3rd instead? He would have had to be near redline in 4th at full throttle, attempting to bang it into 5th, but instead slipped it into 3rd, dumped the clutch, and dropped the hammer. Forget 8700, wouldn't that have broken the damn needle of the gauge? You wrote 8705+, what does that mean exactly? How long was the car at 36% throttle? An instant during the shift?
Most people don't let the clutch all the way out before they catch themselves. A money shift, no matter what the RPM is, places extreme loads on on the entire driveline. There is no where for the energy to go so parts break in a hurry.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
BMRLVR is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #119
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,430
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by akh23456 View Post
Lol i have been sure about my kit since the day i bought it. People can say other wise about someone else motor with the ess kit which people rarely speak of why is that? Oh i know the Non-disclourse agreement.
I never questioned your certainty about your choice, knocked your kit or AA here, I merely stated a fact, you took it the wrong way AK. As far as the 2nd part of your statement, I have no clue what you are referring too.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #120
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,727
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Most people don't let the clutch all the way out before they catch themselves. A money shift, no matter what the RPM is, places extreme loads on on the entire driveline. There is no where for the energy to go so parts break in a hurry.
Yep, I've done that before with my previous 350Z and I understand that it usually happens that way. Fortunately, in my case, everything held on. The reason for my post is that they're explanation is confusing and potentially contradictory. The seem to suggest that the car was decelerating and the owner missed a downshift which is the most common misshift. But then at the same time, they make it seem like he missed an upshift, which is harder to do, especially when it's 5th. I'm just looking for some clarification from AA on what their theory actually is. If it jives, that's the last nail in the OP's coffin, for me at least.
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #121
US///M3
Major
 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

Posts: 1,266
iTrader: (0)

People i know who had money shifts told me it occured on downshifts. Thry moved the shift lever too far to the left passing the gate for the desired gear.
I guess the OP didnt even move the shifter to the right or maybe he didn't bleed off enough rpm before goin into 3rd when slowing down.
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.
US///M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #122
chris s
Major General
 
chris s's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York

Posts: 5,298
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
I never questioned your certainty about your choice, knocked your kit or AA here, I merely stated a fact, you took it the wrong way AK. As far as the 2nd part of your statement, I have no clue what you are referring too.
I would have to agree Akash...i think you took drew's post the wrong way. Just MHO though. I thought his post was on point, well written and informative and in no way was he trying to throw out an ess endorsement.
__________________

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
chris s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #123
Mbauer
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 187outx3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: So Cal

Posts: 330
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Jordan,

Can You please post a copy of the work order from BMW stating your warranty was denied for 198 mph speedometer reading.
I'd like to say Andrew is right... Who's doing 6th gear pulls on the dyno? They always read the shadow memory before the OK even if it's a SMG.
Mbauer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #124
erm324
Major
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,055
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
I think you're talking about what I said in regards to # of ESS SC's sold with no documented failures. I can understand why you, especially with history here and the subject of the thread, would make you feel that way. It was not my intention. It's completely relevant to the current discussion and the discernible paranoia about the S65 going on right now and it shouldn't bother you, but rather make you feel a little bit better that your car is most likely going to be okay.

Here's the relevant question I've yet to see asked. How many kits have all of Supercharger companies sold? How many documented failures do we know about? How many M3's have been sold vs. how many failures? I think it's a fair question and the fact that ESS has sold hundreds of kits without these types of failures, should answer some of those questions and let people feel a little more secure that it's unlikely they may have a failure stock or if their supercharger kit has a good history of units sold vs. failures.
+1, The numbers don't lie.
erm324 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #125
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 435I M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Fl

Posts: 3,372
iTrader: (5)

198 Mph would be a risk we would never take on our dyno.
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #126
m33
Banned
 
m33's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT

Posts: 2,697
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
I think you're talking about what I said in regards to # of ESS SC's sold with no documented failures. I can understand why you, especially with history here and the subject of the thread, would make you feel that way. It was not my intention. It's completely relevant to the current discussion and the discernible paranoia about the S65 going on right now and it shouldn't bother you, but rather make you feel a little bit better that your car is most likely going to be okay.

Here's the relevant question I've yet to see asked. How many kits have all of Supercharger companies sold? How many documented failures do we know about? How many M3's have been sold vs. how many failures? I think it's a fair question and the fact that ESS has sold hundreds of kits without these types of failures, should answer some of those questions and let people feel a little more secure that it's unlikely they may have a failure stock or if their supercharger kit has a good history of units sold vs. failures.
well put
m33 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #127
m33
Banned
 
m33's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT

Posts: 2,697
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akh23456 View Post
Lol i have been sure about my kit since the day i bought it. People can say other wise about someone else motor with the ess kit which people rarely speak of why is that? Oh i know the Non-disclourse agreement.
I can attest , the AA kit is pretty solid as i saw what it did at the drag strip at multiple events we both went to , especially the last one at Atco
Let's not forget about my hot Laps

what ESS motor are you referring too ?
m33 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #128
MilehighM3
Colonel
 
MilehighM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs

Posts: 2,066
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
198 Mph would be a risk we would never take on our dyno.
A top speed run on a dyno is never a good idea. I have no doubt that any/all tuners would deny a clients request to even try it. Guaranteed to overheat, there is not enough air to cool the car down. Math will tell you what the achievable top speed of a car is without a speed limiter.

That being said, Active has always taken care of what needs to be taken care of in my experience. Without question or compromise. I can't say the same for any other tuner, on any platform. The only one I have zero experience with would be Gintani, and I have no interest in doing so. Active has been around a long time and continues to break new ground. It's a great thing for the tuner community and promotes out of the box thinking of what can and can't be done. Plenty of others have had occasional failures, there's no question about that.
To any one who wants to play, be ready to pay. Period.
Thanks for getting in here Andrew!
MilehighM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #129
MPoweredAuto
Private First Class
 
Drives: e36, e46, e90 M3's
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern Florida

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

I don't have much time to elaborate on everything, due to time constraints but will tomorrow. Maybe you should speak with your former sales staff who recommended I return back to stock. Also, in 6th gear to run a top speed it will certainly do 198mph.

The rest of the allegations "Andrew" imposed will be addressed tomorrow. I have a pregnant wife and I must go. I will include more details tomorrow. And as for the thought of me "money shifting" it, that is 100% untrue and will remain that way until I die. Anyone who has ridden in a car with me knows I backhand from 3rd to 4th and have NEVER "money shifted" a car.

More elaboration to everything tomorrow. Thanks
MPoweredAuto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #130
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 435I M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Fl

Posts: 3,372
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
A top speed run on a dyno is never a good idea. I have no doubt that any/all tuners would deny a clients request to even try it. Guaranteed to overheat, there is not enough air to cool the car down. Math will tell you what the achievable top speed of a car is without a speed limiter.

That being said, Active has always taken care of what needs to be taken care of in my experience. Without question or compromise. I can't say the same for any other tuner, on any platform. The only one I have zero experience with would be Gintani, and I have no interest in doing so. Active has been around a long time and continues to break new ground. It's a great thing for the tuner community and promotes out of the box thinking of what can and can't be done. Plenty of others have had occasional failures, there's no question about that.
To any one who wants to play, be ready to pay. Period.
Thanks for getting in here Andrew!
Everyone at Active appreciates feedback like that! Thank you

Many Companies have come and go in the last decade I tend to think we are doing something right. 31 years in buisness and stronger than ever
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #131
US///M3
Major
 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

Posts: 1,266
iTrader: (0)

The tuning communty is a dog-eat-dog world.
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.
US///M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #132
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,795
iTrader: (3)

Got it. So the evidence shows that Jordan Russ is dishonest. Check.

This reminds me of that line in True Romance:

"Now, what we got here is a little game of show and tell. You don't wanna show me nothing but you're telling me everything."
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bmw m3, e90, fail, s65, supercharged

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST