BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EclipsisNA

01-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #353
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
I am not being made to talk to you but thank you for caring.

Until you prove that our Supercharger caused your engine to fail nothing you say holds and weight.

Its obvious you just want to bash us so there will be no winner here.

Good luck
Does your employer know you are speaking on their behalf concerning matters that you were not involved in?

No one is trying to bash you personally but you have gotten on here and defended your company in matters that you only know about 3rd hand. It doesn't make sense to me that you would stake your personal as well as your company's reputation over a situation that you weren't even involved in.
      01-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #354
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Drives: 2014 435I M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Does your employer know you are speaking on their behalf concerning matters that you were not involved in?

No one is trying to bash you personally but you have gotten on here and defended your company in matters that you only know about 3rd hand. It doesn't make sense to me that you would stake your personal as well as your company's reputation over a situation that you weren't even involved in.

Are you serious ? Give it a break.

Call me if you have any further questions we can talk privately.
      01-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #355
THE TECH

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Are you serious ? Give it a break.

Call me if you have any further questions we can talk privately.
You don't find it odd that someone with no first hand information about the situation is the one commenting with so-called facts? Think about it for a second instead of getting defensive over it. I have nothing to gain in all of this. I don't know the OP and I don't know you.
      01-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #356
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

If it involved someone at active you can bet I asked them for their side of the story.

We have no reason to lie if we caused the engine to fail we have no problem fixing it and paying 100% of the bill
But that is not the case

I do find it odd however that I have responded to more questions of yours than anyone else's since this thread has started.
      01-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #357
MatthewDavid
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 : Black/Black, DCT

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
If it involved someone at active you can bet I asked them for their side of the story.

We have no reason to lie if we caused the engine to fail we have no problem fixing it and paying 100% of the bill.

I do find it odd however that I have responded to more questions of yours than anyone else's since this thread has started.
I feel like I've said this before, probably because I have, but when are companies going to learn not to fight with customers on the forums? Active is just making this situation worse. At least remain professional Anything posted on here is court evidence, protect yourself and your company. If I were your legal counsel, I'd tell you to shut up.
      01-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #358
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

We have nothing to hide.

The END.
      01-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #359
MatthewDavid
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 : Black/Black, DCT

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
We have nothing to hide.

The END.
Maybe you have nothing to hide, none of us will ever know, but if that's the case just say you're working to address the issue with the customer and leave it at that. Don't argue with people, back and forth. You're doing your company no favors. All this shows me is that if I buy your product and something goes wrong, I won't be dealing with professionals to get it fixed.
      01-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #360
Mike Benvo

Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid View Post
Maybe you have nothing to hide, none of us will ever know, but if that's the case just say you're working to address the issue with the customer and leave it at that. Don't argue with people, back and forth. You're doing your company no favors. All this shows me is that if I buy your product and something goes wrong, I won't be dealing with professionals to get it fixed.
+1

OP Called me and arrangements for sending the cable are in the works. Seemed like a nice guy with genuine concerns.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
      01-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #361
US///M3
Major

Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Maybe the OP thought AA was going to replace his blown engine.

You supercharge your engine,you have an engine failure,regardless of what caused it,you're on your own.
I thought that was common knowledge.

I'm back.
      01-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #362
BH_Fanaticos77
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Great tread, I just spent hours reading it from the beginning. there was one question that was raised but no one tried to answer it.

Mike, since you seem to know a lot about the freeze data, would you know why do we have transmission input at 8004 rpm when engine speed was at this 8705 rpm event. Would we see a greater transmission input since the energy during miss-shift would come from it?

Also, another number I'd like to know the meaning of is the speed gradient of 4937 rpm/s. would this be the rpm jump per second that engine experienced during the event?

thanks.
      01-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #363
Mike Benvo

Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
Maybe the OP thought AA was going to replace his blown engine.

You supercharge your engine,you have an engine failure,regardless of what caused it,you're on your own.
I thought that was common knowledge.
I disagree with that.

To an extent it's like saying a company designs a product, makes a profit, and then doesn't have to support it.

If I bought a supercharger and the failure was caused by the supercharger or attributed to it some how through tuning, or whatever else - I would be seeking a replacement for sure.

Now if it was caused by user error, or something not related to the supercharger, then I agree you're on your own.

There's a reasonable expectation of support and an implied warranty, plus an expectation of dealing in good faith, depending on the circumstances at hand.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by Mike Benvo; 01-20-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
      01-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #364
ES_TRADER
Colonel

Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor (o ...  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Op, Why not just lawyer up and go to court? Let the judge decide who's guilty. I don't think posting here on a public forum will do anything. It's like ping pong all day long. You need an unbiased 3rd party.

It's the "American" way of life, yes?
      01-21-2012, 12:43 AM   #365
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey

Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
I disagree with that.

To an extent it's like saying a company designs a product, makes a profit, and then doesn't have to support it.

If I bought a supercharger and the failure was caused by the supercharger or attributed to it some how through tuning, or whatever else - I would be seeking a replacement for sure.

Now if it was caused by user error, or something not related to the supercharger, then I agree you're on your own.

There's a reasonable expectation of support and an implied warranty, plus an expectation of dealing in good faith, depending on the circumstances at hand.
Hard to expect a replacement when the terms and conditions on the tuners website read as such:

This warranty is limited to repairs and/or replacement of the product or part found to be defective without charge. Active Autowerke reserves the right to refund the complete purchase price for the defective item and will not be held liable for losses or damages arising from the defect.
If a part or a component from an Active Autowerke product, system or kit is found to be defective, this warranty shall apply only to the defective part or component and shall not require Active Autowerke to repair, replace or refund the complete Active Autowerke product, system or kit.
Active Autowerke cannot accept freight costs of any returned merchandise to Active Autowerke for inspection and/or returns. A 20% handling charge for all returns may be applied.
Under the stipulations of this warranty, Active Autowerke will in no way be liable for exceeding the original purchase price of the defective product. This warranty does not include the cost of removal or reinstallation of the product. No person or representative is authorized to extend any warranty and/or liability (other than that which has been expressed herein) in connection with the sale of any Active Autowerke product.
Active Autowerke disclaims any and all liability for any implied warranties, including the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a specific purpose. Under no circumstances shall Active Autowerke be liable for any incidental, indirect, specific or consequential damages arising from purchaser's use of the product.

When you purchase a product from a vendor like AA that has terms and conditions clearly stating the warranty, you automatically accept those conditions as soon as you pay them. The only exception to this would be if there was another legally binding contract signed between the purchaser and the vendor clearly stating that they will cover you and that the new contract that was signed supersedes the warranty policy of the vendor.

I am not standing up for AA but there terms and conditions are clear and are legally binding.

Hard for the OP to argue with that!

Also since the OP is/was also an AA dealer, he should have been well aware of those terms and conditions.
      01-21-2012, 01:06 AM   #366
Edjay
First Lieutenant

Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
I disagree with that.

I agree with this, but If AA set a rev limit at 8100 and they state and feel this is what is safe for their system. Then we have a recorded over rev, for what ever reason. shouldnt that be enough to void all or any warranty or obligation by AA since clearly the engine was rev pass its set safe limit?

I too asume that if I modify my car, 1 I will drive it hard, 2 whatever brakes, I dont expect any vendor to pay for it, unless they broke it. IE they forgot a bolt during instalation. I have seen motors blow on the dyno and the tuner are not held responsible.
      01-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #367
BLACK OPS
Captain

Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Hard to expect a replacement when the terms and conditions on the tuners website read as such:

This warranty is limited to repairs and/or replacement of the product or part found to be defective without charge. Active Autowerke reserves the right to refund the complete purchase price for the defective item and will not be held liable for losses or damages arising from the defect.
If a part or a component from an Active Autowerke product, system or kit is found to be defective, this warranty shall apply only to the defective part or component and shall not require Active Autowerke to repair, replace or refund the complete Active Autowerke product, system or kit.
Active Autowerke cannot accept freight costs of any returned merchandise to Active Autowerke for inspection and/or returns. A 20% handling charge for all returns may be applied.
Under the stipulations of this warranty, Active Autowerke will in no way be liable for exceeding the original purchase price of the defective product. This warranty does not include the cost of removal or reinstallation of the product. No person or representative is authorized to extend any warranty and/or liability (other than that which has been expressed herein) in connection with the sale of any Active Autowerke product.
Active Autowerke disclaims any and all liability for any implied warranties, including the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a specific purpose. Under no circumstances shall Active Autowerke be liable for any incidental, indirect, specific or consequential damages arising from purchaser's use of the product.

When you purchase a product from a vendor like AA that has terms and conditions clearly stating the warranty, you automatically accept those conditions as soon as you pay them. The only exception to this would be if there was another legally binding contract signed between the purchaser and the vendor clearly stating that they will cover you and that the new contract that was signed supersedes the warranty policy of the vendor.

I am not standing up for AA but there terms and conditions are clear and are legally binding.

Hard for the OP to argue with that!

Also since the OP is/was also an AA dealer, he should have been well aware of those terms and conditions.

This says it all. No special contract created. AA refunded 100% of the cost of the SC even though this wasn't damaged, correct? Seems AA has done more than they needed to. After 1 year the debate as to who's at fault has lost some credibility since the vehicle wasn't completely and thoroughly evaluated and tested. We await more hard facts from the read by Mike and OP.

OP is upset because: 1)He feels he wasn't treated fairly as a customer and dealer. (BTW- never mix pleasure and business) 2) An employee who no longer works at the AA shop is being represented by a company and employee (Andrew) who did not directly work with him at that time. 3) He continues to refute a money shift but is not believed and his engine wasn't completely evaluated in person, only by picture. 4) He feels like he may not be the only person with AA SC that has had this problem and wants the community to be aware of this.

After Mike interprets the information obtained and is corroborated with the AA read then we can make the next step to causation. Ultimately as was stated by another post, it appears a 3rd party will need to run their own tests and draw conclusion.
BLACK OPS is offline   United_States
      01-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #368
tibra1
Banned

Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
Op, Why not just lawyer up and go to court? Let the judge decide who's guilty. I don't think posting here on a public forum will do anything. It's like ping pong all day long. You need an unbiased 3rd party.

It's the "American" way of life, yes?
I'd like to see that..if in fact he accepted a full refund for the SC and waited a year to cry wolf he'd be laughed out of court. Besides there is no way that the tuner could be held liable even if their product blew the engine... Their disclaimers absolve them of any liability..sorry but there isnt a legal leg to stand on here

Last edited by tibra1; 01-21-2012 at 01:46 AM.
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
      01-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #369
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey

Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK OPS View Post

This says it all. No special contract created. AA refunded 100% of the cost of the SC even though this wasn't damaged, correct? Seems AA has done more than they needed to. After 1 year the debate as to who's at fault has lost some credibility since the vehicle wasn't completely and thoroughly evaluated and tested. We await more hard facts from the read by Mike and OP.

OP is upset because: 1)He feels he wasn't treated fairly as a customer and dealer. (BTW- never mix pleasure and business) 2) An employee who no longer works at the AA shop is being represented by a company and employee (Andrew) who did not directly work with him at that time. 3) He continues to refute a money shift but is not believed and his engine wasn't completely evaluated in person, only by picture. 4) He feels like he may not be the only person with AA SC that has had this problem and wants the community to be aware of this.

After Mike interprets the information obtained and is corroborated with the AA read then we can make the next step to causation. Ultimately as was stated by another post, it appears a 3rd party will need to run their own tests and draw conclusion.
The suggester of the 3rd party was me! All the 3rd party will do now will give the OP closure. As far as the terms and conditions read, even if it was the kit's fault, AA is not responsible to cover the damages!
      01-21-2012, 02:27 AM   #370
BLACK OPS
Captain

Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
The suggester of the 3rd party was me! All the 3rd party will do now will give the OP closure. As far as the terms and conditions read, even if it was the kit's fault, AA is not responsible to cover the damages!

To clarify...."even if it was the kit's fault, AA is not responsible to cover the damages!", or if the 8700 did not correlate with a money shift, then yes, AA is NOT responsible for damages to the blown engine, EVEN IF it were directly related.

An unfortunate incident which can be compared to signing the consent or release form to the risk of injury or losing your life when you jump off a bridge on a bungee cord. You understand and waive the risks of injury and death from unforseen events which cannot be controlled but also including events such as breakage of the bungee cord and failure or breakage of instrumentation. Harsh reality but tough to argue when it's in ink and you have agreed to terms and conditions. The fact that the engine broke 2000 mi's or so after installation would nearly eliminate the possibility of error in installation of the kit.
BLACK OPS is offline   United_States
      01-21-2012, 03:38 AM   #371
jpirelli
Power is nothing without control

Drives: E90 + E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
Leave it to a expert? Come on Benvo. Your a tuner now? Last time I checked you were just a file loader for PC and now PC can't do tunes in the states anymore.. Sounds like you just want a free read of a Active car.

Just saying buddy.

Last edited by jpirelli; 01-23-2012 at 04:34 PM.
      01-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #372
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep

Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.28]
2013 f10 M5  [0.00]
The thing i don't get is Why did you still sell Active stuff after you think they blew your motor? Why did you wait so long to post it? Active bought their kit back from you when they determined it wasn't their fault and you agreed then. Why change your mind now and try to get more money by blackmailing them? Story doesn't add up.

F10 M5 : 11.5 125 with a 2.1 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
akh23456 is offline   United_States
      01-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #373
GOVCO
Lieutenant

Drives: 09 E90 AW M3 DCT [Slight Mods]

So, after reading hundreds of posts about this issue, I am still perplexed as to why no one has asked the question.....

[wait for it....]

[wait for it....]

Who do you like in the AFC Championship tomorrow? Just saying, all this talk about blown motors...AND all these 'expert' opinionated people...surely someone can help me pick the winning team. Want to place a big bet and buy a SC. Oh, and even after all this, I would still buy a kit from AA. Shit happens all the time. Likelyhood of it happening again, probably not to high. Just saying. Can we not just wait and see how this turns out. I need the Cliff Notes for this thread.
      01-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #374
Darth One
Former yr 1of1 owner

Drives: SGM E90

i lost track of the number of pissing matches in this thread
Darth One is offline   United_States