BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Dave2's Avatar
14
Rep
383
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Dinan Stage 2 Suspension

I have decided to get the Dinan Stage 2 suspension for my 2011 E93. I am considering doing the installation myself. Even though I have not done any major work on a car in a few years I have years of automotive and mechanical experience and access to all the necessary tools.

Has anyone done this installation as a DIY? Are there any lessons learned, tricks or tips you could pass along? Or having done the DIY wishing you would have had a professional do it?

Thanks
__________________
'11 M3 Convertible | Dinan Stage 2 suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
kitw
Colonel
kitw's Avatar
77
Rep
2,692
Posts

Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (14)

Why stage 2? The front bar will just make the car understeer more. Stick with stage 1 or get the Stage 3 with the camber plates.
__________________

IMG_4631 by kitwetzler, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
paradocs98
Major
paradocs98's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
1,347
Posts

Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Also keep in mind that this is something like an 8-hour install for a professional mechanic, so be prepared for a significant amount of time...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
Sleeper519
Captain
Sleeper519's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
777
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

If I recall correctly, Stage 2 is the Dinan springs, plus the thicker front sway bar from the E93, which you already have on your vert...

I would get Stage 1, plus Ground-Control adjustable camber plates.
__________________

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1 / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
cole328
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
276
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Hmmm...I went with the Stage 2, and I don't notice any appreciable understeer at all car is super nimble, the "drop" was perfect for me, and it's flat as the top of a cop's head in the turns
However, I'm not tracking the car at all, so perhaps you should listen to the more experienced guys on here
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Sleeper519
Captain
Sleeper519's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
777
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

How can Dinan sell you an expensive stage 2 kit for an E93 that has a front sway bar that is the exact same size (28.5mm) as the stock one that is already on the car??

Unless it's a larger diameter than they're advertising on the website, that's fraud.
__________________

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1 / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
93
Rep
5,788
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519
How can Dinan sell you an expensive stage 2 kit for an E93 that has a front sway bar that is the exact same size (28.5mm) as the stock one that is already on the car??

Unless it's a larger diameter than they're advertising on the website, that's fraud.
It's not the same bar. The E93 bars are 28.5 on the ends but thinner across the rest of the bar.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Dave2's Avatar
14
Rep
383
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole328 View Post
Hmmm...I went with the Stage 2, and I don't notice any appreciable understeer at all car is super nimble, the "drop" was perfect for me, and it's flat as the top of a cop's head in the turns
However, I'm not tracking the car at all, so perhaps you should listen to the more experienced guys on here
Thanks for the input. This car is a daily driver in all weather conditions. 75% of the time it is driven in commuter mode the other 25% I drive it like I stole it. I have no plans to track the car. Based upon your results it sounds as though the Stage 2 is the correct choice for me.


Still looking for advice from anyone that has done a DYI installation.
__________________
'11 M3 Convertible | Dinan Stage 2 suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Mbauer
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
330
Posts

Drives: E92 187outx3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (1)

I suggest doing it on a lift atleast. Im not sure if you have a spring compressor??? Took me 4 hrs but I do this for a living.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Sleeper519
Captain
Sleeper519's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
777
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
It's not the same bar. The E93 bars are 28.5 on the ends but thinner across the rest of the bar.

Thanks for that info. I can climb down quietly from my soapbox now...
__________________

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1 / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Dave2's Avatar
14
Rep
383
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbauer View Post
I suggest doing it on a lift atleast. Im not sure if you have a spring compressor??? Took me 4 hrs but I do this for a living.

I have access to the whole magila; lift, spring compressors, air tools, alignment rack. 4 hours seems like a more realistic estimate. 8 hours seems excessive. Are there any tricks or tips you could impart after having done the install? What alignment numbers did you use?
__________________
'11 M3 Convertible | Dinan Stage 2 suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 02:53 AM   #12
Denk
Colonel
Denk's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,092
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PNW

iTrader: (2)

Dinan includes recommended street and track alignment specs with his kits.
Stage 1 and 2 street specs are the same, stage 3 has a little more neg camber front and rear. I can't remember the numbers though. Good luck, I'm sure you'll love the results.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Dave2's Avatar
14
Rep
383
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys. Just place the order and looking forward to getting to work on this soon.
__________________
'11 M3 Convertible | Dinan Stage 2 suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
kitw
Colonel
kitw's Avatar
77
Rep
2,692
Posts

Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
It's not the same bar. The E93 bars are 28.5 on the ends but thinner across the rest of the bar.
I can confirm... the Dinan front bar is solid (or significantly thicker wall) as well. It's really friggin heavy compared to stock and much beefier than the E93 bar.

But... the car already understeers, I'm not sure why you want to increase that.

If you aren't feeling it, you aren't pushing the car...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #15
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Dave2's Avatar
14
Rep
383
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
I can confirm... the Dinan front bar is solid (or significantly thicker wall) as well. It's really friggin heavy compared to stock and much beefier than the E93 bar.

But... the car already understeers, I'm not sure why you want to increase that.

If you aren't feeling it, you aren't pushing the car...
Why are you under the impression that a stiffer sway bar increases understeer? The stiffer bar reduces body roll. The reduction in body roll reduces weight transfer to the outside wheels during a turn, which in turn tends to equalizes the traction between all tires. This results in less understeer.

If we were to follow the line of logic that a stiffer bar increases understeer, then the logical conclusion would be to simply remove the sway bars to eliminate understeer. I think you imagine what would happen in that case. As you made a turn the body of the car would roll over as it wanted to continue in a straight line (an object in motion will tend to stay in motion, in a straight line, until acted on by an outside force- Isaac Newton) leading to obscene understeer.
__________________
'11 M3 Convertible | Dinan Stage 2 suspension

Last edited by Dave2; 01-18-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #16
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
93
Rep
5,788
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
It's not the same bar. The E93 bars are 28.5 on the ends but thinner across the rest of the bar.

Thanks for that info. I can climb down quietly from my soapbox now...
No problem...asked the same question and did tons of research...just to throw you off your soap box.

IMO, the more I think about it, the closer I come to the conclusion that the camber plates are a waste.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #17
klammer
Brigadier General
42
Rep
3,245
Posts

Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Have to agree with kitw on the understeer thing, but can't be bothered to explain. On another note, car really handles great on the street and feels nimble and tight, only on track do you really see the weight and understeer problems with this car. Think you'll love the setup.
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #18
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,348
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave IV View Post
Why are you under the impression that a stiffer sway bar increases understeer? The stiffer bar reduces body roll. The reduction in body roll reduces weight transfer to the outside wheels during a turn, which in turn tends to equalizes the traction between all tires. This results in less understeer.

If we were to follow the line of logic that a stiffer bar increases understeer, then the logical conclusion would be to simply remove the sway bars to eliminate understeer. I think you imagine what would happen in that case. As you made a turn the body of the car would roll over as it wanted to continue in a straight line (an object in motion will tend to stay in motion, in a straight line, until acted on by an outside force- Isaac Newton) leading to obscene understeer.
A sway bar (aka anti-sway bar aka stabilizer bar) causes the inside wheel to lose grip as cornering load is applied to the outside wheel. It connects both sides so it reduces independent suspension movement.

With a rear sway bar, it makes the car more tail happy because as you corner, the outside wheel is pushed upward which pushes the inside wheel upward through the sway bar which connects both sides. It causes both to take load and lose grip easier.

A front sway bar makes the front give out faster than the rear. It helps turn in as the front feels sharper as the inside and the outside react the same but after initial turn in, it causes the front the understeer as the load on the outside wheel pushes the inside wheel to lose traction as well so both front wheels are pushed upward and you lose front grip.

So generally a front sway bar feels stable at turn in but causes understeer, a rear sway bar causes oversteer... sway bars are sometimes sold in sets so you get the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #19
shendrick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Increasing roll stiffness up front (stiffer front bar) means the inside front wheel will unweight more in turns increasing understeer.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Dave2's Avatar
14
Rep
383
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
A sway bar (aka anti-sway bar aka stabilizer bar) causes the inside wheel to lose grip as cornering load is applied to the outside wheel. It connects both sides so it reduces independent suspension movement.

With a rear sway bar, it makes the car more tail happy because as you corner, the outside wheel is pushed upward which pushes the inside wheel upward through the sway bar which connects both sides. It causes both to take load and lose grip easier.

A front sway bar makes the front give out faster than the rear. It helps turn in as the front feels sharper as the inside and the outside react the same but after initial turn in, it causes the front the understeer as the load on the outside wheel pushes the inside wheel to lose traction as well so both front wheels are pushed upward and you lose front grip.

So generally a front sway bar feels stable at turn in but causes understeer, a rear sway bar causes oversteer... sway bars are sometimes sold in sets so you get the best of both worlds.

This may be true of a car with a double wishbone suspension where the camber angle remains consistent through the range of suspension travel.

It is not true with strut-type suspensions, as is the BMW's, where the camber angle changes through the range of suspension travel. With a strut suspension camber becomes more negative as the suspension begins to compress. As the suspension continues to compress the camber becomes more positive. The stiffer front bar will limit the suspension compression and maintain the more negative camber angle.
__________________
'11 M3 Convertible | Dinan Stage 2 suspension

Last edited by Dave2; 02-04-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #21
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Dave2's Avatar
14
Rep
383
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Looks like my son will be getting a freebie. He has a 135i and it seems the 135 guys are replacing their front sways with the E93 M3 sway bar. So, when i get my Dinan he can have mine. He will be picking up the lunch tab.
__________________
'11 M3 Convertible | Dinan Stage 2 suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #22
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Dave2's Avatar
14
Rep
383
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

The Stage 2 kit has arrived. Installation is scheduled for Monday.
__________________
'11 M3 Convertible | Dinan Stage 2 suspension
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST