BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

VF Engineering

01-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #45
ImolaMpower
Gintani Supercharged

Drives: M3/335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
I thought Paul's car was a stage 2 and they found the ''wear''
Correct, Paul's car was a stage 2.
      01-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #46
ImolaMpower
Gintani Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
so your saying its just a matter of time b4 all our motors let go? lol
Definitely not. They're just saying in the cases that these motors have failed, this was the issue they found to be the cause.
      01-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #47
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey

Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

To ImolaMpower: If lack of lubrication was the issue that caused the rod stretch the rod would have been discolored from the heat. All of the rods, even the broken rod from Drew's engine showed no sign of discoloration from excessive heat.

By looking at your signature you may have a biased opinion. Please be diplomatic and unbiased when posting in this thread. I have many years of building engines and have seen many failures. Through our failure analysis reports from, Cat, Cummins, and Detroit Diesel they have never cited the cause of a stretched rod as a heat issue. Stretched rods we have seen have been a result of either, improper torquing on installation, defective fasteners, or overloading (Forces exceeding the design spec of the parts e.g.: Excessive cylinder pressures, excessive engine RPM). If you think that heat were an issue causing these failures, please realize that you would have engine oil breakdown and then seizure long before the metallurgical composition of the rod was compromised and weakened.

Lack of lubrication can cause a heat and wear issue which can lead to a failure, however, in cases of lack of lubrication the discoloration of the crank journal, rod, and bearing is very easy to spot and is usually noticed at first glance.

One final point of interest is that a rod that fails due to overspeeding/overloading usually breaks close to the wrist pin as Drew's engine did.

*PLEASE NOTE: My intention here is not to attack or discredit anyone or any vendor. I am sharing knowledge that have been gained from technical training and work experience so that it can benefit the the entire community!

Last edited by BMRLVR; 01-15-2012 at 10:50 PM.
BMRLVR is offline   Canada
      01-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #48
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Great info that is spot on from BMRLVR
      01-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #49
zsapphire7
Colonel

Drives: 08 e92 M3

oil starvation on the track? increased loads meaning less adequate oiling and higher temps. theyre all related to the lowered lifespan of the engine.
zsapphire7 is offline   United_States
      01-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #50
Mbauer
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 187outx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
oil starvation on the track? increased loads meaning less adequate oiling and higher temps. theyre all related to the lowered lifespan of the engine.
Agreed minus starvation on the track. The dual oil pump in the S65 is capable of 1.4G's without starvation.
      01-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #51
zsapphire7
Colonel

Drives: 08 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbauer View Post
Agreed minus starvation on the track. The dual oil pump in the S65 is capable of 1.4G's without starvation.
starvation on track doesnt happen only because the pump isnt strong enough. it can also happen when the oil doesnt get to the feeds for the pump in the oil pan. Just another possibility. I wish they left it as a dry sump when they lopped off the two cylinders from the v10..
zsapphire7 is offline   United_States
      01-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #52
Mbauer
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
starvation on track doesnt happen only because the pump isnt strong enough. it can also happen when the oil doesnt get to the feeds for the pump in the oil pan. Just another possibility. I wish they left it as a dry sump when they lopped off the two cylinders from the v10..
From the horses mouth-

"The duocentric design of the oil return pump ensures that oil is always available at the inlet of the main oil pump in the rear of the oil pan, even when braking sharply at high speeds."

"The oil supply is also guaranteed at extreme longitudinal and lateral accelerations of up to 1.4 times normal gravitation acceleration"
      01-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #53
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey

Even though BMW does not publish the info or give any recommendations on the oil clearance specs for the mains and rods, have been able to obtain the clearance measurements from a reliable source.

Based on these numbers that I have been able to obtain, I can now with a high degree of certainty, deduce that any bearing problems on the S65 are due to insufficient factory oil clearance specs. Not any issue with oil pumps and bearings. Basically IMO these engines are assembled too tight.
      01-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #54
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Even though BMW does not publish the info or give any recommendations on the oil clearance specs for the mains and rods, have been able to obtain the clearance measurements from a reliable source.

Based on these numbers that I have been able to obtain, I can now with a high degree of certainty, deduce that any bearing problems on the S65 are due to insufficient factory oil clearance specs. Not any issue with oil pumps and bearings. Basically IMO these engines are assembled too tight.
That is not good news.
      01-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #55
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
That is not good news.
Well, the news is not good but it is also not necessarily all bad!

You see, most of the engines that are running around out there at stock output and even full bolt on output of about 460-480 BHP will most likely be fine. You see if there are no issues with the engines in the first 20,000 or so miles, there most likely will never be an issue.

When engines are extensively modified with superchargers and ran at the ragged edge of the cylinder pressures that the stock block can take, this is where the issues will start to manifest themselves. Proper adjustments to the oil clearances at the main and rod bearings will make for a very strong bottom end. The stock connecting rods are a very nice piece and extremely strong for an OEM piece, however IMO I think that they are the weakest link in the S65 rotating assembly. The crank is a beautiful forged piece right out of the box, the bed plate is extremely over engineered, and the pistons and pins appear to be holding up fine under high power applications.

Set up with the right clearances I think that the stock bottom end will be able to handle 800-1000 HP with ease and maybe even more. The key to getting this engine to handle this kind of power is to get a good machine shop to check and machine the main bearing bores and crankshaft (if machining is even required). Next, a good engine builder needs to specify the clearances that he knows will work, and get a set of bearings that will meet spec (that may be hard in this application though) or resize the crank journals so that you end up with the clearance that the engine needs to be reliable under extreme usage. Finally the bottom end needs to be assembled and all measurements need to be checked and rechecked to ensure everything is within spec. Once this is all done I am quite confident that everything will be golden!

Last edited by BMRLVR; 01-16-2012 at 10:20 PM.
BMRLVR is offline   Canada
      01-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #56
bigjae1976
That's what she said...

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:

You see, most of the engines that are running around out there at stock output and even full bolt on output of about 460-480 BHP will most likely be fine. You see if there are no issues with the engines in the first 20,000 or so miles, there most likely will never be an issue.

When engines are extensively modified with superchargers and ran at the ragged edge of the cylinder pressures that the stock block can take, this is where the issues will start to manifest themselves. Proper adjustments to the oil clearances at the main and rod bearings will make for a very strong bottom end. The stock connecting rods are a very nice piece and extremely strong for an OEM piece, however IMO I think that they are the weakest link in the S65 rotating assembly. The crank is a beautiful forged piece right out of the box, the bed plate is extremely over engineered, and the pistons and pins appear to be holding up fine under high power applications.

Set up with the right clearances I think that the stock bottom end will be able to handle 800-1000 HP with ease and maybe even more. The key to getting this engine to handle this kind of power is to get a good machine shop to check and machine the main bearing bores and crankshaft (if machining is even required). Next, a good engine builder needs to specify the clearances that he knows will work, and get a set of bearings that will meet spec (that may be hard in this application though) or resize the crank journals so that you end up with the clearance that the engine needs to be reliable under extreme usage. Finally the bottom end needs to be assembled and all measurements need to be checked and rechecked to ensure everything is within spec. Once this is all done I am quite confident that everything will be golden!
...that's it? I thought it was going to be something really hard?

Seriously, excellent info!

Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
      01-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #57
IMG
VT3

Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:

And,Thanks Alex for sharing !

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
      01-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #58
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post

PG has actually already had his main and rod bearing oil clearance adjusted on his 4.7 Stroker. Stewart Van Dyne of Van Dyne Engineering (Formerly of Drake Engineering) personally assembled PG's engine and uncovered the tight tolerances some time ago. Stewart is one of the world's premier engine builders and if he thinks PG's engine will be fine with the clearances adjusted, IT WILL BE FINE!!!

The fact that OEM oiling system has been retained and not uncovered by Stewart as a weak point of the engine is good enough for me.

As for the clearances used, I will not disclose that info, an engine builder should be able to determine the proper clearance for an engine based on knowledge, engineering data, and experience.

I have a fair bit of time and experience working on engines but I am by no means anywhere near the calibre of Stewart. I am glad however, that my first hunch of oil clearance issues turned out to be true. If Stewart Van Dyne is satisfied the changes will make for a reliable engine that is good enough for me!

When I finally do a stroker engine, I know one thing I am going to specifically ask for, an adjusted oil clearance on all main and rod bearings. Hopefully Dinan will humour my request, if not, I guess Van Dyne Engineering will be building my engine!

http://www.vandyneengineering.com/

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=386602
      01-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #59
1cleanm3
Brigadier General

Drives: ///E92M3*RR Sport*Prius

lot of informative info in this thread!

01-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #60
klammer
Brigadier General

Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5

One of the most informative posts from one man ever. (look out swamp) Seriously, I am going to go out and buy a model engine right now and start learning this shit. Awesome BMRLVR, you da man!
      01-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #61
Mbauer
First Lieutenant

Gintani, I am still curious have you found the same bearing wear in your stage 1 kits? You havent replied?
      01-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #62
Mbauer
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post

PG has actually already had his main and rod bearing oil clearance adjusted on his 4.7 Stroker. Stewart Van Dyne of Van Dyne Engineering (Formerly of Drake Engineering) personally assembled PG's engine and uncovered the tight tolerances some time ago. Stewart is one of the world's premier engine builders and if he thinks PG's engine will be fine with the clearances adjusted, IT WILL BE FINE!!!

The fact that OEM oiling system has been retained and not uncovered by Stewart as a weak point of the engine is good enough for me.

As for the clearances used, I will not disclose that info, an engine builder should be able to determine the proper clearance for an engine based on knowledge, engineering data, and experience.

I have a fair bit of time and experience working on engines but I am by no means anywhere near the calibre of Stewart. I am glad however, that my first hunch of oil clearance issues turned out to be true. If Stewart Van Dyne is satisfied the changes will make for a reliable engine that is good enough for me!

When I finally do a stroker engine, I know one thing I am going to specifically ask for, an adjusted oil clearance on all main and rod bearings. Hopefully Dinan will humour my request, if not, I guess Van Dyne Engineering will be building my engine!

http://www.vandyneengineering.com/

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=386602
I went looking for the OEM specs.... The radial clearance is missing on the S65 and S85. The S63T B44 was 0.020-0.046 mm. I have measured .030 on a couple BMW engines. I would ask Gintani what they found but it looks like they are not interested in answering anyone's questions.....???
      01-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #63
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey

0.020mm to 0.046mm is 0.00079in to 0.00181in when converted to imperial measure. That clearance, even at the max would still be too tight IMO. The measurements on the S65 fell within that range as well!
      01-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #64
ImolaMpower
Gintani Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbauer View Post
Gintani, I am still curious have you found the same bearing wear in your stage 1 kits? You havent replied?
Your question was answered twice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
I thought Paul's car was a stage 2 and they found the ''wear''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaMpower View Post
Correct, Paul's car was a stage 2.
So for the third time...the first set of Rods and Bearings in the video are from Paul Walkers car, which was a Stage 2 kit. The second set belong to Drew's blown motor, which was also a Stage 2 kit.
      01-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #65
Captain

Drives: 991TTs

learned a lot of great stuff in this thread! thanks Gintani and everyone else who contributed!
1 is offline   United_States
      01-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #66
ImolaMpower
Gintani Supercharged

Quote:
To ImolaMpower: If lack of lubrication was the issue that caused the rod stretch the rod would have been discolored from the heat. All of the rods, even the broken rod from Drew's engine showed no sign of discoloration from excessive heat.
They do show signs of wear/discoloring underneath the bearing, might be difficult to see in the video. I've briefly seen these rods and bearings in person and from what I recall they weren't exactly spotless.

The rods did in fact stretch and some S65's do in fact have an issue with bearing lubrication. I just put the to facts together and it made sense to me. Others will beg to differ.

Quote:
By looking at your signature you may have a biased opinion. Please be diplomatic and unbiased when posting in this thread. I have many years of building engines and have seen many failures. Through our failure analysis reports from, Cat, Cummins, and Detroit Diesel they have never cited the cause of a stretched rod as a heat issue. Stretched rods we have seen have been a result of either, improper torquing on installation, defective fasteners, or overloading (Forces exceeding the design spec of the parts e.g.: Excessive cylinder pressures, excessive engine RPM). If you think that heat were an issue causing these failures, please realize that you would have engine oil breakdown and then seizure long before the metallurgical composition of the rod was compromised and weakened.
I have no reason to be biased. I don't get paid to do this.

I understand you're an engine builder and have great knowledge of engines. Particularly Cat, Cummins, and Detroit Diesel. However, and not to sound rude, but BMW S65's are not mentioned anywhere in your background.
What you have to understand is Gintani has been studying and testing this particular engine, the S65, for the last 4 years or so. They've experienced the failure for themselves and they've accepted the challenges faced with boosting these motors. I'm positive they've not only spent the time but definitely the money on R&D as well. Believe me when I say this, these guys love what they do and their intentions are great. They have not kept their research and findings a secret and have even provided us with a short video describing a few points they've obtained from real life testing of the S65.

Quote:
Lack of lubrication can cause a heat and wear issue which can lead to a failure, however, in cases of lack of lubrication the discoloration of the crank journal, rod, and bearing is very easy to spot and is usually noticed at first glance.

One final point of interest is that a rod that fails due to overspeeding/overloading usually breaks close to the wrist pin as Drew's engine did.

*PLEASE NOTE: My intention here is not to attack or discredit anyone or any vendor. I am sharing knowledge that have been gained from technical training and work experience so that it can benefit the the entire community!
I understand your intentions are great, nor are you discrediting anyone. Personally, I enjoy reading your posts, they're very informative!