BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #23
LarThaL
Colonel
LarThaL's Avatar
65
Rep
2,635
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
fwiw, i would agree with above posters that 20's are about asthetics only and will negatively impact the ride...and i also agree that they are too big for the car...but that's just a personal opinion.
Personally, I think only a few wheels look really good in 20" on the M3. The BBS LM-R is a good example. Most 20's IMO start to look a little GhEttO. With some other wheels, it doesn't really add or detract from the looks so why not go with the slightly smaller, lighter, better riding wheel. 20's just add weight. So IMO, they lose all fronts...ride, performance, looks, and risk of damage. 19's are optimal for looks. Even some 18's look good depending on the wheel.

I say skip the 20's. You need the size of a 5 series to have 20's look good aesthetically.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #24
smmmurf
Colonel
32
Rep
2,113
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I am in San Francisco. I'd say that anything above 19s would be terrible on the streets around here. The city streets are like driving on the surface of the moon and the highways are bombed out with bumps, dips and holes. Imagine the pain and damage you'll see when you hit a hole at 70mph! I feel like I need an off road vehicle when driving around some of these streets...

In case anyone doesn't know: the San Francisco area has the worst roads in the nation.
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/the-scene/...103546294.html
Finally, someone who lives in SF answering the post. Posters from OC just won't understand the conditions of the roads in the bay areas... there are a couple nicely repaved ones, but city streets have not really been changed much for decades and the roads have tons of holes which are repaired in a sloppy manner.

I would not go bigger than 18" let alone bigger than 19" for SF... it is literally HORRIBLE in the city.

Choose a comfortable tire as well for the 19's... Continental DW's come to mind.
__________________
M3 Sedan - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #25
CarbonAlpine
Lieutenant
CarbonAlpine's Avatar
7
Rep
581
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Miami

iTrader: (13)

I

I researched long hours about this and finally pulled the trigger in 20" HRE P40's and lowered the car. I honestly can't tell the difference from the oem 19". But I drive very little, but I love the drive so far and the looks are stunning!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #26
Aquariu///M
Captain
Aquariu///M's Avatar
16
Rep
787
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 E92 & 13 X5///M
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Diamond Bar

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I am in San Francisco. I'd say that anything above 19s would be terrible on the streets around here. The city streets are like driving on the surface of the moon and the highways are bombed out with bumps, dips and holes. Imagine the pain and damage you'll see when you hit a hole at 70mph! I feel like I need an off road vehicle when driving around some of these streets...

In case anyone doesn't know: the San Francisco area has the worst roads in the nation.
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/the-scene/...103546294.html
I have relatives up north and every time I go I tell myself I could never live there... Because of road and parking conditions
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #27
stefan
Colonel
stefan's Avatar
Canada
29
Rep
2,145
Posts

 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
20s seem unnecessarily big. 19s look great and offer more comfort and lower tire costs.
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #28
smmmurf
Colonel
32
Rep
2,113
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonAlpine View Post
I researched long hours about this and finally pulled the trigger in 20" HRE P40's and lowered the car. I honestly can't tell the difference from the oem 19". But I drive very little, but I love the drive so far and the looks are stunning!
You live in Miami dude.

We live in SF.

SF is a fucking warzone...

__________________
M3 Sedan - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #29
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
2,174
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
You live in Miami dude.

We live in SF.

SF is a fucking warzone...

That movie is awesome! Totally shows what we drive on. Love the sarcastic tone too.

In the video it mentioned when the potholes fill with water.. that's the real fun part, you can't see them at night! Then you hit one and it sounds like a gunshot at close range and your car feels like it is going to snap in two. Then you know you hit the jackpot. LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #30
MatthewDavid
First Lieutenant
10
Rep
316
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post

You live in Miami dude.

We live in SF.

SF is a fucking warzone...
Ha I don't think I'll be taking my M3 to Oakland... ever...

In the Mission, I'd be more worried about running over a crackhead.

Interesting to see a lot of different opinions. My concern isn't so much the ride, as it is the likelihood of damaging a rim. It would appear as though getting a well made forged rim would mitigate that risk, as would driving more carefully.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #31
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
2,174
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid View Post
Ha I don't think I'll be taking my M3 to Oakland... ever...

Interesting to see a lot of different opinions. My concern isn't so much the ride, as it is the likelihood of damaging a rim. It would appear as though getting a well made forged rim would mitigate that risk, as would driving more carefully.
I had a friend who worked at Wheel Works in San Francisco... you don't know how many TE37s and other wheels come in looking like swiss cheese on the inner lip and the owners wondering why their steering wheel is vibrating when they drive. Ain't no rim with low profile tires going to stand up to hitting a hole at speed. My advice? Drive slowly.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #32
duk
///M
United_States
42
Rep
2,967
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

dont do it
__________________
2011 AW/FR 6MT E92 | Powered by Premier | Alekshop | ESS |
Rok n Peace Clothing: www.roknpeace.com

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #33
8_is_enough
Captain
8_is_enough's Avatar
7
Rep
617
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E92M, '12 GTI
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: san francisco, ca

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Finally, someone who lives in SF answering the post. Posters from OC just won't understand the conditions of the roads in the bay areas... there are a couple nicely repaved ones, but city streets have not really been changed much for decades and the roads have tons of holes which are repaired in a sloppy manner.

I would not go bigger than 18" let alone bigger than 19" for SF... it is literally HORRIBLE in the city.

Choose a comfortable tire as well for the 19's... Continental DW's come to mind.
Um, I live in SF. It's not that bad if you know where you're going

- daily driven on 20's
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #34
gemini330zhp
Major
gemini330zhp's Avatar
Philippines
15
Rep
1,181
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BergenCo NewJersey

iTrader: (0)

Get a SUV for a Daily!!!!
__________________
2008 Jet Black E90 M3 6SPD no sunroof and 18s to my specs


Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #35
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
38
Rep
1,680
Posts

 
Drives: '10 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (19)

I have both LMs and LMRs on 20s and I dont mind it. All depends on which tires you get.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #36
smmmurf
Colonel
32
Rep
2,113
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclee337 View Post
Um, I live in SF. It's not that bad if you know where you're going

- daily driven on 20's
True, there are some areas that are ok in the city. But "not that bad" is all relative- to me it's bad compared to the smooth streets this car was designed for which I experienced during european delivery.

If you get an alignment even without hitting anything memorable and driving carefully, the amount of toe deflection a car gets after just 10K miles around here is painful to see on a printout... lol.

Your car isn't going to splode, but it is certainly not being done any favors (bushings, suspension, cabin rattles, etc.) by being on 20's vs. 18's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
That movie is awesome! Totally shows what we drive on. Love the sarcastic tone too.

In the video it mentioned when the potholes fill with water.. that's the real fun part, you can't see them at night! Then you hit one and it sounds like a gunshot at close range and your car feels like it is going to snap in two. Then you know you hit the jackpot. LOL
Yeah seriously man. The highways in some small third world countries are better than the ones we have in the bay area now. lol
__________________
M3 Sedan - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #37
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
36
Rep
3,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E93 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

iTrader: (0)

I have to admit that I fail to see the logic of buying a high performanc car like an M3 and then for "looks" dumbing it down by putting on rims that detract from both comfort and performance .

I personally do not like the huge rim ultra low profile look.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-14-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #38
crabman
Captain
7
Rep
669
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I have to admit that I fail to see the logic of buying a high performanc car like an M3 and then for "looks"
dumbing it down buy putting on rims that detract from both comfort and performance .

I personally do not like the huge rim ultra low profile look.

CA
Yep, on the other hand as long as a person goes in knowing what they're giving up and the looks are worth the hit then its their car and for them a good choice. Like others I dislike the wagon wheel look anyways so its not the direction I would go, I would be more likely to see if a BBK would clear 18's......
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #39
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
36
Rep
3,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E93 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
Yep, on the other hand as long as a person goes in knowing what they're giving up and the looks are worth the hit then its their car and for them a good choice. Like others I dislike the wagon wheel look anyways so its not the direction I would go, I would be more likely to see if a BBK would clear 18's......
I have to agree. Their car, their money. It is a personal decision.

It will be interesting to see if in a few years the huge rim look is still in favor or if it goes the way of opera windows, vinyl tops and gold plated trim.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #40
Denk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
23
Rep
1,973
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PNW

iTrader: (2)

If I lived in the SF area I'd be looking at 18's, definitely nothing more than a 19. I think in the long run you'd be happier than going to a 20...unless you just gotta look pimp'n.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #41
kris.taylor.1981
Second Lieutenant
kris.taylor.1981's Avatar
4
Rep
221
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 e92 m3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

20s fill the arches better
i have 20 inch replicas of the original m3 wheels and i like the subtle look
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #42
smmmurf
Colonel
32
Rep
2,113
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I have to admit that I fail to see the logic of buying a high performanc car like an M3 and then for "looks" dumbing it down by putting on rims that detract from both comfort and performance .

I personally do not like the huge rim ultra low profile look.

CA
I agree. I love the look of my RAC RG63 in 18" and they perform awesome being 18x9, 18x10 at 19-20lbs each. Car feels so light and agile, and it soaks up bumps pretty well too!

My OEM 19's are probably gonna get sold to buy some lightweight 18's for my E46 or maybe lightweight 16/17's for my S2000, lol.
__________________
M3 Sedan - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #43
merlin00069
Second Lieutenant
merlin00069's Avatar
4
Rep
214
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [0.00]
If you select the right wheels....it'll look great when parked. Daily driving will definitely be compromised.
__________________
///M3 E92
Alpine White, Carbon Fiber Roof, Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #44
Scottie M
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Heidleberg, Germany

iTrader: (0)

It's basically a personal decision. If I lived in the Bay Area I'd probably lean towards 18s or 19s due to the roads.
Me personally, I'm runnin 20s HRE C93 and have no regrets at all. The ride difference is barely noticeable compared to my 19's
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST