BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
rolloface
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,111
iTrader: (3)

Different EPS amps?

Are there different Enhanced Premium amps out there? I got a EPS amp and it is not the same as the EPS amp that is in my car.

I have attached the picture of the factory amp in my car. The amp in the pic on the left is my EPS amp. The amp on the right is another EPS amp that I got.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,684
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
Are there different Enhanced Premium amps out there? I got a EPS amp and it is not the same as the EPS amp that is in my car.

I have attached the picture of the factory amp in my car. The amp in the pic on the left is my EPS amp. The amp on the right is another EPS amp that I got.
Yes, there are three versions. You have the oldest (2008) version. They are not interchangeable as the wiring is different.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
ptpending
Private First Class
 
Drives: e91
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: vilnius

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

this is not true, they are fully interchangeable, the only difference is power input, on new amplifier + and - contacts are separate and in 20-pin connector, on the old - only in 20-pin connector
i've retrofitted individual system with old amplifier and tried to plug new instead old, it worked
ptpending is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,111
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
this is not true, they are fully interchangeable, the only difference is power input, on new amplifier + and - contacts are separate and in 20-pin connector, on the old - only in 20-pin connector
i've retrofitted individual system with old amplifier and tried to plug new instead old, it worked
So the power is part of the 20 pin connector on the old one but the new one has a separate +/- contact? How would you pull that out and wouldn't you need the 2 pin connector?
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
ptpending
Private First Class
 
Drives: e91
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: vilnius

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

on the new EPS amplifier power can be connected to 20-pin connector, or to separate 2 pin connector
use multimeter(circuit tester) to check this

Last edited by ptpending; 01-28-2014 at 02:03 PM.
ptpending is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,111
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
on the new EPS amplifier power can be connected to 20-pin connector, or to separate 2 pin connector
use multimeter(circuit tester) to check this
So you are saying the new EPS amp with separate 2 pin power connector can accept power via the 20 pin plug?

I think you would need to pull the power pins out of the 20 pin and plug it to the 2 pin power connector?

Sounds like a lot of trouble! I have no experience working with electrical connectors and volt meters. I might just have to buy the correct amp.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
dfjaws
First Lieutenant
 
dfjaws's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3 - '02 Z3 Roady
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bloomington, IL

Posts: 340
iTrader: (0)

Were they any different in power or sound?
__________________
dfjaws is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #8
ptpending
Private First Class
 
Drives: e91
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: vilnius

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
So you are saying the new EPS amp with separate 2 pin power connector can accept power via the 20 pin plug?
yes, you can simply replace one with another, it will work
but, it is better to code new one after replacement to have correct configuration of rear speakers
ptpending is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
ptpending
Private First Class
 
Drives: e91
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: vilnius

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post
Were they any different in power or sound?
the new one have new common design, shared between all newer Lear amplifiers,
the difference is separate power connector with larger pins to get more power and have shorter power cable length by connecting them directly to rear fuse box(located on battery in e9x)
ptpending is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,111
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
yes, you can simply replace one with another, it will work
but, it is better to code new one after replacement to have correct configuration of rear speakers
I plugged it in and the new amp does not work.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2014, 03:20 AM   #11
ptpending
Private First Class
 
Drives: e91
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: vilnius

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

what is the reason to replace amp ? if you disconnect new amp at all, and then connect 20-pin connector but not MOST connector, do you see red light coming out of the amp MOST connector ?
Is your new amp brand new ?(i.e. it was not installed and coded in car before ) ?
ptpending is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #12
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,111
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
what is the reason to replace amp ? if you disconnect new amp at all, and then connect 20-pin connector but not MOST connector, do you see red light coming out of the amp MOST connector ?
Is your new amp brand new ?(i.e. it was not installed and coded in car before ) ?
With the old amp, the subwoofer sometimes does not work. It turns on and off randomly.

Yes, I see the red light coming out of the MOST connector. No, the amp was from another car.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
ptpending
Private First Class
 
Drives: e91
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: vilnius

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

what part numbers are on amp labels ? old and new ?
red light coming out amp MOST port or green cable connector ?
you need to get red light out from amp MOST socket
ptpending is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,111
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
what part numbers are on amp labels ? old and new ?
red light coming out amp MOST port or green cable connector ?
you need to get red light out from amp MOST socket
The red light comes out of the MOST cable connector. I didn't look for light coming from the amp. When I plug in the new amp, nothing happens.

The new amp is part # 65127845163
Old amp is # 65127842019

Here is a picture of the new amp with the separate 3rd plug which does not exist on the old amp.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2014, 05:20 AM   #15
ptpending
Private First Class
 
Drives: e91
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: vilnius

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

you need to prove that red light come out of the new amplifier - if not, then it is faulty
you may try this with old amplifier - connect 20 pin connector, but not MOST connector and check
ptpending is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #16
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,111
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
you need to prove that red light come out of the new amplifier - if not, then it is faulty
you may try this with old amplifier - connect 20 pin connector, but not MOST connector and check
If there is no power connector plugged into the new amp, how will it get power? You mentioned that the power source is supposed to connect with the new 2 pin plug which is separate on the new amp.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #17
ptpending
Private First Class
 
Drives: e91
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: vilnius

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

this amplifier can get power via 20-pin connector - (10 and 20 pin in connector) and via new 2 pin connector
ptpending is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #18
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,111
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
this amplifier can get power via 20-pin connector - (10 and 20 pin in connector) and via new 2 pin connector
It didn't work for me. Plugged it in, no audio, the car gave a warning about emergency assist not available. Plugged back the original amp and everything is working again.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2014, 02:47 AM   #19
ptpending
Private First Class
 
Drives: e91
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: vilnius

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

did you connect all connectors to amp(20 pin and MOST), or only 20pin ?
ptpending is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #20
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,111
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
did you connect all connectors to amp(20 pin and MOST), or only 20pin ?
I connected the 20 pin and MOST connector.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #21
mohammadz
Major
 
Drives: M3, 991 GT3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,240
iTrader: (8)

Did you ever get this sorted out?
__________________
KW CS|Akrapovic GT4|Volk Racing TE37|ZCP|Rogue Engineering SSK|LUX|Macht Schnell|AiM Solo|RD Sport|Challenge|ProjectMu
mohammadz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #22
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,111
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammadz View Post
Did you ever get this sorted out?
I ended up returning the new amp.

I contacted GetBMWParts to try to get the old amp. They can no longer get the old amp anymore. You are supposed to use the new amp and re-pin the connector to accept the new amp. But they can not provide me any directions or pin diagrams to do so...
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST