BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

E92 Lighting

09-28-2015, 01:15 AM   #1
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Need spring opinions. Swift vs. B&G.

So I'm looking to do some easy suspension upgrades to the E90. I have just gotten done reading as much as I could via search but didn't see any good comparisons. In the past I have always gone to coilovers (TC Kline then Intrax then AST). I'm trying to be smarter with this car as there is no point for me to run a track coilover daily when I only get on the track maybe a few times a year. I can still have fun with something less aggressive and will be happier when I drive it daily.

So now I'm trying to decide between springs. We just had a baby and looking for something that will give me a decent drop, tighten up roll a bit, and not rattle my child's head over every bump.

I have narrowed it down really to Swift vs. B&G. I figured I'd throw in KW for opinions there but are they worth it as height will not be adjusted once initial height is set? Anyone have recommendations/experience with each to be able to give some insight on which to go with?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 02:57 AM   #2
m3_love
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

I have B&G, perfect lowering height for me to achieve a flushed look along with some spacers. The handling characteristics is more or less the same as the stock springs, just a bit tighter and less body roll. As for daily driving, you won't be able to tell the difference from the stock springs. I did take my car to the track with this setup and it drove wonderfully.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_love View Post
I have B&G, perfect lowering height for me to achieve a flushed look along with some spacers. The handling characteristics is more or less the same as the stock springs, just a bit tighter and less body roll. As for daily driving, you won't be able to tell the difference from the stock springs. I did take my car to the track with this setup and it drove wonderfully.
Thanks for the comment. Any bottoming out or rubbing with the amount of drop and something that isn't drastically stiffer?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hoping EAS might have some insight on this as I do believe they offer both...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
m3_love
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvinclunk View Post
Thanks for the comment. Any bottoming out or rubbing with the amount of drop and something that isn't drastically stiffer?
No rubbing for me, not even on track. I am running Bridgestone Potenza S-04s (255/40/18, 265/40/18). However, I suspect with 3 passengers in the car you may expect some rubbing when passing road bumps.

Last edited by m3_love; 09-28-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Still looking for more opinions.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
0-60Motorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Send a message via AIM to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via MSN to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60Motorsports
Bump, might be in the same boat soon.
Current Mods: GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, ///MFEST Badges, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SuperSprint V1 Headers + Catless S-pipes + Res Sec 2 + Race Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, OEM CSL DME + TTFS Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ.... IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #8
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

I ended up buying and installing the Swift springs and haven't been super satisfied. They really didn't drop my E90 as much as I've seen others on the forums. They drive alright, not far from stock. I'm still considering trading to the B&G's.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #9
swifty
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: SO F80, Ghibli & Tesla 70D

I have the swifts and I think the linear springs are amazing compared to the OEM competition pack as far as feel and how quickly it settles once you hit a bump at speed etc. However if your primary objective is the drop department, you are better off going with H&R or KW height adjustable springs. B&G doesn't drop it much either.

However I've ridden shotgun in both of those (H&R or KW) and the ride is a bit bumpy.
Past: '89 Olds, Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #10
Yo@BarAndTrack
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I'm running B&G's on my setup. They are a bit crashy on the larger bumps, which I would think the Swifts would be better for.

Performance on track is nothing special. They keep the car predictable and tight once the car is loaded up.

My rear setup is a bit aggressive with the 12mm spacer, so I go get rubbing over large dips with anyone in the back seat.

No complaints really, though! Photos below are my current setup and then when the springs were first installed with OEM wheels and spacers. Hope this helps a bit.

Current setup

ZCP_Wheels-1 by Yo_Keutla, on Flickr

ZCP_Wheels-2 by Yo_Keutla, on Flickr

ZCP_Wheels-4 by Yo_Keutla, on Flickr

Drop on OEM wheels when I first installed them.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #11
Lone Star M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
I ended up buying and installing the Swift springs and haven't been super satisfied. They really didn't drop my E90 as much as I've seen others on the forums. They drive alright, not far from stock. I'm still considering trading to the B&G's.
I think you should forgo another spring set and install coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #12
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Can you post pics of your e90 with the Swifts?

I am in the same boat looking around, I see some used KW HAS but I'm not sure if they are worth it. I'd prefer to stay away from coilovers as I did that in my 335i and killed my daily driving.
      01-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #13
0-60Motorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Send a message via AIM to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via MSN to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60Motorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo@BarAndTrack View Post
I'm running B&G's on my setup. They are a bit crashy on the larger bumps, which I would think the Swifts would be better for.

Performance on track is nothing special. They keep the car predictable and tight once the car is loaded up.

My rear setup is a bit aggressive with the 12mm spacer, so I go get rubbing over large dips with anyone in the back seat.

No complaints really, though! Photos below are my current setup and then when the springs were first installed with OEM wheels and spacers. Hope this helps a bit.

Current setup

ZCP_Wheels-1 by Yo_Keutla, on Flickr

ZCP_Wheels-2 by Yo_Keutla, on Flickr

ZCP_Wheels-4 by Yo_Keutla, on Flickr

Drop on OEM wheels when I first installed them.

Looks just right with the ZCP's Are you running 12mm front spacers?
Current Mods: GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, ///MFEST Badges, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SuperSprint V1 Headers + Catless S-pipes + Res Sec 2 + Race Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, OEM CSL DME + TTFS Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ.... IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:09 PM   #14
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo@BarAndTrack View Post

Can you describe the crashy aspect to it? Like bottoming out? While our springs should drop close to each other your car is much lower than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
Can you post pics of your e90 with the Swifts?

I am in the same boat looking around, I see some used KW HAS but I'm not sure if they are worth it. I'd prefer to stay away from coilovers as I did that in my 335i and killed my daily driving.
I'll work on getting a picture posted of mine shortly.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #15
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star M3 View Post
I think you should forgo another spring set and install coilovers.
It has been considered. There are a few things about coilovers that I was hoping to avoid:

1. The cost.
2. Inability to use the factory damping settings which I searched for when getting the car.
3. I don't want something I have to maintain more or that rides stiff or harsh.

I've had coilovers on all my previous M3's and I wanted to avoid the hassle. Had TCKline on the first and they were great but needed rebuilding somewhat regularly. Then I went to Intrax and they were stiff as can be and ended up blowing out after a year and needing rebuild. Then went with what told to me as a very comfortable coilover setup, AST 4100 with custom rates, and they were still much to stiff for a family daily commuter. I just want something MILD. I'm just annoyed that I see pictures of others with the Swifts and they appear to be at a different height than mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #16
Lone Star M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
It has been considered. There are a few things about coilovers that I was hoping to avoid:

1. The cost.
2. Inability to use the factory damping settings which I searched for when getting the car.
3. I don't want something I have to maintain more or that rides stiff or harsh.

I've had coilovers on all my previous M3's and I wanted to avoid the hassle. Had TCKline on the first and they were great but needed rebuilding somewhat regularly. Then I went to Intrax and they were stiff as can be and ended up blowing out after a year and needing rebuild. Then went with what told to me as a very comfortable coilover setup, AST 4100 with custom rates, and they were still much to stiff for a family daily commuter. I just want something MILD. I'm just annoyed that I see pictures of others with the Swifts and they appear to be at a different height than mine.
I would think the Ohlins R&T would be a great solution for your needs. From everything i have learned about them they are the best solution for a street friendly ride with outstanding longevity.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #17
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Send a message via AIM to kevin @ eas Send a message via Yahoo to kevin @ eas
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I have the swifts and I think the linear springs are amazing compared to the OEM competition pack as far as feel and how quickly it settles once you hit a bump at speed etc. However if your primary objective is the drop department, you are better off going with H&R or KW height adjustable springs. B&G doesn't drop it much either.

However I've ridden shotgun in both of those (H&R or KW) and the ride is a bit bumpy.
On the E9x m3 we generally recommend the B&G's because they keep OE like ride and perform a decent drop. 1.0 front and 0.5 rear coupe and 1.2 and 1.0 sedan. H&R's have always had a bumpy and stiff ride for the e9x. Here is a shot of an E90 with B&G's.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #18
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star M3 View Post
I would think the Ohlins R&T would be a great solution for your needs. From everything i have learned about them they are the best solution for a street friendly ride with outstanding longevity.
I've heard good things too, just trying to avoid coilovers if I can. I honestly track the car maybe twice a year and just feel a nice coilover is overkill for daily use. I'd essentially be buying the R&T for $2,200 plus front plates and install to get a specific drop .5 inch lower than what I am now.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #19
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
On the E9x m3 we generally recommend the B&G's because they keep OE like ride and perform a decent drop. 1.0 front and 0.5 rear coupe and 1.2 and 1.0 sedan. H&R's have always had a bumpy and stiff ride for the e9x. Here is a shot of an E90 with B&G's.
So you recommend the B&G over the Swifts?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #20
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Send a message via AIM to kevin @ eas Send a message via Yahoo to kevin @ eas
Quote:
So you recommend the B&G over the Swifts?

Yeah I would recommend B&G over the swift springs.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #21
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is that just based on the drop/ride quality? I'm under the assumption that a linear rate is better for predictability and balance, would the progressive nature of the B&G's hurt performance?

I've been considering just pulling the Swift's off and buying B&G's.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #22
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Quote:
What about ride quality of KW HAS? I would like to get a little lower in the front than the B&G but I don't want a bouncy ride.

I have EDC if it makes a difference.