BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
E92 Lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-28-2015, 01:15 AM   #1
duvinclunk
Captain
duvinclunk's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salt Lake City

iTrader: (1)

Need spring opinions. Swift vs. B&G.

So I'm looking to do some easy suspension upgrades to the E90. I have just gotten done reading as much as I could via search but didn't see any good comparisons. In the past I have always gone to coilovers (TC Kline then Intrax then AST). I'm trying to be smarter with this car as there is no point for me to run a track coilover daily when I only get on the track maybe a few times a year. I can still have fun with something less aggressive and will be happier when I drive it daily.

So now I'm trying to decide between springs. We just had a baby and looking for something that will give me a decent drop, tighten up roll a bit, and not rattle my child's head over every bump.

I have narrowed it down really to Swift vs. B&G. I figured I'd throw in KW for opinions there but are they worth it as height will not be adjusted once initial height is set? Anyone have recommendations/experience with each to be able to give some insight on which to go with?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 02:57 AM   #2
m3_love
Lieutenant Colonel
m3_love's Avatar
Taiwan
115
Rep
1,959
Posts

Drives: 991 C2S
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (8)

I have B&G, perfect lowering height for me to achieve a flushed look along with some spacers. The handling characteristics is more or less the same as the stock springs, just a bit tighter and less body roll. As for daily driving, you won't be able to tell the difference from the stock springs. I did take my car to the track with this setup and it drove wonderfully.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
duvinclunk
Captain
duvinclunk's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salt Lake City

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_love View Post
I have B&G, perfect lowering height for me to achieve a flushed look along with some spacers. The handling characteristics is more or less the same as the stock springs, just a bit tighter and less body roll. As for daily driving, you won't be able to tell the difference from the stock springs. I did take my car to the track with this setup and it drove wonderfully.
Thanks for the comment. Any bottoming out or rubbing with the amount of drop and something that isn't drastically stiffer?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
duvinclunk
Captain
duvinclunk's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salt Lake City

iTrader: (1)

Hoping EAS might have some insight on this as I do believe they offer both...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
m3_love
Lieutenant Colonel
m3_love's Avatar
Taiwan
115
Rep
1,959
Posts

Drives: 991 C2S
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvinclunk View Post
Thanks for the comment. Any bottoming out or rubbing with the amount of drop and something that isn't drastically stiffer?
No rubbing for me, not even on track. I am running Bridgestone Potenza S-04s (255/40/18, 265/40/18). However, I suspect with 3 passengers in the car you may expect some rubbing when passing road bumps.

Last edited by m3_love; 09-28-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
duvinclunk
Captain
duvinclunk's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salt Lake City

iTrader: (1)

Still looking for more opinions.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
0-60Motorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
0-60Motorsports's Avatar
Bahrain
75
Rep
1,639
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kingdom of Bahrain

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via MSN to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60Motorsports
Bump, might be in the same boat soon.
__________________
Current Mods: GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, ///MFEST Badges, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SuperSprint V1 Headers + Catless S-pipes + Res Sec 2 + Race Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, OEM CSL DME + TTFS Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ.... IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #8
duvinclunk
Captain
duvinclunk's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salt Lake City

iTrader: (1)

I ended up buying and installing the Swift springs and haven't been super satisfied. They really didn't drop my E90 as much as I've seen others on the forums. They drive alright, not far from stock. I'm still considering trading to the B&G's.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #9
swifty
Lieutenant Colonel
77
Rep
1,699
Posts

Drives: SO F80, Ghibli & Tesla 70D
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

iTrader: (5)

I have the swifts and I think the linear springs are amazing compared to the OEM competition pack as far as feel and how quickly it settles once you hit a bump at speed etc. However if your primary objective is the drop department, you are better off going with H&R or KW height adjustable springs. B&G doesn't drop it much either.

However I've ridden shotgun in both of those (H&R or KW) and the ride is a bit bumpy.
__________________
__________________
Current Bimmer: '16 SO F80 (stock for as long as possible)
Gone but never forgotten: '13 FO e92 M3, Swifts, volks/advan, Akra Evo, Kics R40
Past: '89 Olds, Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #10
Yo@BarAndTrack
Enlisted Member
39
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

I'm running B&G's on my setup. They are a bit crashy on the larger bumps, which I would think the Swifts would be better for.

Performance on track is nothing special. They keep the car predictable and tight once the car is loaded up.

My rear setup is a bit aggressive with the 12mm spacer, so I go get rubbing over large dips with anyone in the back seat.

No complaints really, though! Photos below are my current setup and then when the springs were first installed with OEM wheels and spacers. Hope this helps a bit.

Current setup

ZCP_Wheels-1 by Yo_Keutla, on Flickr

ZCP_Wheels-2 by Yo_Keutla, on Flickr

ZCP_Wheels-4 by Yo_Keutla, on Flickr



Drop on OEM wheels when I first installed them.





Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #11
Lone Star M3
Lieutenant
United_States
83
Rep
536
Posts

Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvinclunk View Post
I ended up buying and installing the Swift springs and haven't been super satisfied. They really didn't drop my E90 as much as I've seen others on the forums. They drive alright, not far from stock. I'm still considering trading to the B&G's.
I think you should forgo another spring set and install coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #12
335m
Major
62
Rep
1,154
Posts

Drives: 08 e92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin Texas

iTrader: (1)

Can you post pics of your e90 with the Swifts?

I am in the same boat looking around, I see some used KW HAS but I'm not sure if they are worth it. I'd prefer to stay away from coilovers as I did that in my 335i and killed my daily driving.
__________________
2008 e92 M3: Gintani Sport w/ Topspeed Catless X-Pipe, KW-V3
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #13
0-60Motorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
0-60Motorsports's Avatar
Bahrain
75
Rep
1,639
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kingdom of Bahrain

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via MSN to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60Motorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo@BarAndTrack View Post
I'm running B&G's on my setup. They are a bit crashy on the larger bumps, which I would think the Swifts would be better for.

Performance on track is nothing special. They keep the car predictable and tight once the car is loaded up.

My rear setup is a bit aggressive with the 12mm spacer, so I go get rubbing over large dips with anyone in the back seat.

No complaints really, though! Photos below are my current setup and then when the springs were first installed with OEM wheels and spacers. Hope this helps a bit.

Current setup

ZCP_Wheels-1 by Yo_Keutla, on Flickr

ZCP_Wheels-2 by Yo_Keutla, on Flickr

ZCP_Wheels-4 by Yo_Keutla, on Flickr



Drop on OEM wheels when I first installed them.





Looks just right with the ZCP's Are you running 12mm front spacers?
__________________
Current Mods: GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, ///MFEST Badges, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SuperSprint V1 Headers + Catless S-pipes + Res Sec 2 + Race Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, OEM CSL DME + TTFS Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ.... IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:09 PM   #14
duvinclunk
Captain
duvinclunk's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salt Lake City

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo@BarAndTrack View Post
I'm running B&G's on my setup. They are a bit crashy on the larger bumps, which I would think the Swifts would be better for.

Performance on track is nothing special. They keep the car predictable and tight once the car is loaded up.

My rear setup is a bit aggressive with the 12mm spacer, so I go get rubbing over large dips with anyone in the back seat.

No complaints really, though! Photos below are my current setup and then when the springs were first installed with OEM wheels and spacers. Hope this helps a bit.
Can you describe the crashy aspect to it? Like bottoming out? While our springs should drop close to each other your car is much lower than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
Can you post pics of your e90 with the Swifts?

I am in the same boat looking around, I see some used KW HAS but I'm not sure if they are worth it. I'd prefer to stay away from coilovers as I did that in my 335i and killed my daily driving.
I'll work on getting a picture posted of mine shortly.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #15
duvinclunk
Captain
duvinclunk's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salt Lake City

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star M3 View Post
I think you should forgo another spring set and install coilovers.
It has been considered. There are a few things about coilovers that I was hoping to avoid:

1. The cost.
2. Inability to use the factory damping settings which I searched for when getting the car.
3. I don't want something I have to maintain more or that rides stiff or harsh.

I've had coilovers on all my previous M3's and I wanted to avoid the hassle. Had TCKline on the first and they were great but needed rebuilding somewhat regularly. Then I went to Intrax and they were stiff as can be and ended up blowing out after a year and needing rebuild. Then went with what told to me as a very comfortable coilover setup, AST 4100 with custom rates, and they were still much to stiff for a family daily commuter. I just want something MILD. I'm just annoyed that I see pictures of others with the Swifts and they appear to be at a different height than mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #16
Lone Star M3
Lieutenant
United_States
83
Rep
536
Posts

Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvinclunk View Post
It has been considered. There are a few things about coilovers that I was hoping to avoid:

1. The cost.
2. Inability to use the factory damping settings which I searched for when getting the car.
3. I don't want something I have to maintain more or that rides stiff or harsh.

I've had coilovers on all my previous M3's and I wanted to avoid the hassle. Had TCKline on the first and they were great but needed rebuilding somewhat regularly. Then I went to Intrax and they were stiff as can be and ended up blowing out after a year and needing rebuild. Then went with what told to me as a very comfortable coilover setup, AST 4100 with custom rates, and they were still much to stiff for a family daily commuter. I just want something MILD. I'm just annoyed that I see pictures of others with the Swifts and they appear to be at a different height than mine.
I would think the Ohlins R&T would be a great solution for your needs. From everything i have learned about them they are the best solution for a street friendly ride with outstanding longevity.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #17
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
kevin @ eas's Avatar
United_States
473
Rep
9,415
Posts


Drives: 2015 BMW M4
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim

iTrader: (12)

Send a message via AIM to kevin @ eas Send a message via Yahoo to kevin @ eas
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I have the swifts and I think the linear springs are amazing compared to the OEM competition pack as far as feel and how quickly it settles once you hit a bump at speed etc. However if your primary objective is the drop department, you are better off going with H&R or KW height adjustable springs. B&G doesn't drop it much either.

However I've ridden shotgun in both of those (H&R or KW) and the ride is a bit bumpy.
On the E9x m3 we generally recommend the B&G's because they keep OE like ride and perform a decent drop. 1.0 front and 0.5 rear coupe and 1.2 and 1.0 sedan. H&R's have always had a bumpy and stiff ride for the e9x. Here is a shot of an E90 with B&G's.

__________________
Kevin S. | european auto source (eas)
email: kevin@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x31

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #18
duvinclunk
Captain
duvinclunk's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salt Lake City

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star M3 View Post
I would think the Ohlins R&T would be a great solution for your needs. From everything i have learned about them they are the best solution for a street friendly ride with outstanding longevity.
I've heard good things too, just trying to avoid coilovers if I can. I honestly track the car maybe twice a year and just feel a nice coilover is overkill for daily use. I'd essentially be buying the R&T for $2,200 plus front plates and install to get a specific drop .5 inch lower than what I am now.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #19
duvinclunk
Captain
duvinclunk's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salt Lake City

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
On the E9x m3 we generally recommend the B&G's because they keep OE like ride and perform a decent drop. 1.0 front and 0.5 rear coupe and 1.2 and 1.0 sedan. H&R's have always had a bumpy and stiff ride for the e9x. Here is a shot of an E90 with B&G's.
So you recommend the B&G over the Swifts?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #20
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
kevin @ eas's Avatar
United_States
473
Rep
9,415
Posts


Drives: 2015 BMW M4
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim

iTrader: (12)

Send a message via AIM to kevin @ eas Send a message via Yahoo to kevin @ eas
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvinclunk View Post
So you recommend the B&G over the Swifts?

Yeah I would recommend B&G over the swift springs.
__________________
Kevin S. | european auto source (eas)
email: kevin@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x31

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #21
duvinclunk
Captain
duvinclunk's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salt Lake City

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
Yeah I would recommend B&G over the swift springs.
Is that just based on the drop/ride quality? I'm under the assumption that a linear rate is better for predictability and balance, would the progressive nature of the B&G's hurt performance?

I've been considering just pulling the Swift's off and buying B&G's.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #22
335m
Major
62
Rep
1,154
Posts

Drives: 08 e92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin Texas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
Yeah I would recommend B&G over the swift springs.
What about ride quality of KW HAS? I would like to get a little lower in the front than the B&G but I don't want a bouncy ride.

I have EDC if it makes a difference.
__________________
2008 e92 M3: Gintani Sport w/ Topspeed Catless X-Pipe, KW-V3
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST