BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Timblaney
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Arm Rest USB, is it working?

I just picked up a 2008 M3 with the CCC iDrive. The car was listed as having the iPhone adapter, which I believe is correct since when you look in the center console there is a Aux (headphone jack), a USB, and a cigarette plug.

I might have some miss understanding of what the usb and aux will do on the this version, but I thought I would be able to use the steering wheel buttons and charge an iPhone if plugged in properly. Here is what I have done so far, let me know if there is something that I did incorrectly:
  1. The car was listed with an iphone adapter. The adpater didn't come with the car so I purchased a used oem on ebay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/110781881068
  2. When I plug my iPhone (version 4 with 5.0.1) in to the armrest with this adapter, the iPhone doesn't show it is charging and the steering will controls will not forward to the next song. So it looks like the usb is not working properly either from the y-cable or the armrest.
  3. To test the armrest usb, I took a PNY 4GB usb thumb drive (formatted FAT 32) and put some songs on it. I put them in both the root directory and the some in the folders. All songs were in a .mp3 format with no DRM restrictions. In iDrive, when I go to the entertainment and look at aux, I try and select usb, but it doesn't do anything. So I am assuming the USB is not working in the armrest

Am I doing anything wrong or am I expecting this dated CCC system to be doing too much? Is there a better way to test if the usb is functioning correctly? Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,122
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Not sure if you can load to the hdd via the armrest. Normally that is only done via the one in the glove compartment. As far as your phone not working, it could be the cable. Many have said that only the actual apple one works correctly.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,182
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timblaney View Post
I just picked up a 2008 M3 with the CCC iDrive. The car was listed as having the iPhone adapter, which I believe is correct since when you look in the center console there is a Aux (headphone jack), a USB, and a cigarette plug.

I might have some miss understanding of what the usb and aux will do on the this version, but I thought I would be able to use the steering wheel buttons and charge an iPhone if plugged in properly. Here is what I have done so far, let me know if there is something that I did incorrectly:
  1. The car was listed with an iphone adapter. The adpater didn't come with the car so I purchased a used oem on ebay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/110781881068
  2. When I plug my iPhone (version 4 with 5.0.1) in to the armrest with this adapter, the iPhone doesn't show it is charging and the steering will controls will not forward to the next song. So it looks like the usb is not working properly either from the y-cable or the armrest.
  3. To test the armrest usb, I took a PNY 4GB usb thumb drive (formatted FAT 32) and put some songs on it. I put them in both the root directory and the some in the folders. All songs were in a .mp3 format with no DRM restrictions. In iDrive, when I go to the entertainment and look at aux, I try and select usb, but it doesn't do anything. So I am assuming the USB is not working in the armrest

Am I doing anything wrong or am I expecting this dated CCC system to be doing too much? Is there a better way to test if the usb is functioning correctly? Any help would be appreciated.
This does not have anything to do with the CCC. So far it looks like somehow that USB port is not working at all, so no data is going to the MULF (USB module in the trunk) and therefore to the CCC at all.

Try using a regular USB cable for your iPhone and see if at least it charges the phone. If not then there is a hardware problem somewhere between the MULF and the port itself.

If your car has some warranty left then you better use it...
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,182
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Not sure if you can load to the hdd via the armrest. Normally that is only done via the one in the glove compartment. As far as your phone not working, it could be the cable. Many have said that only the actual apple one works correctly.
All that you wrote do not apply to the OP's 2008 M3. That's for 2009-on.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Timblaney
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
This does not have anything to do with the CCC. So far it looks like somehow that USB port is not working at all, so no data is going to the MULF (USB module in the trunk) and therefore to the CCC at all.

Try using a regular USB cable for your iPhone and see if at least it charges the phone. If not then there is a hardware problem somewhere between the MULF and the port itself.

If your car has some warranty left then you better use it...
Thanks, yes there is warranty left so I will make the appointment. Thanks for verifying my expectations.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
italyix
Lieutenant
italyix's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
575
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (3)

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but did u ever get the USB to work? I'mm having the same problem, but my iphone works when plugged in.

I want to play WMA lossless and I can't...grrrr
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
djseto
Private
0
Rep
91
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

I'm going to thread jack this post too. I just bought an 08 M3 with CCC this weekend. My car also didn't include the adapter. I have one from eBay on order as well. I tried just a plain apple cable and the system says my device (iPhone 4s) is not supported. I don't know if this is because the iPhone isn't supported, the system is busted, or because I have to use the OEM BMW adapter. I was hoping the apple USB cable with a separate 8mm male-male jack would also work.

When I plugged the iPhone just via the aux in, I get some awful alternate whine or engine noise. I have 2 months left on the factory warranty so I'm having the dealer look at it today since I assume is should sound clean with the 8mm jack

*UPDATE*: The stock cable on eBay works and there is no more ground/alternator noise.

Last edited by djseto; 08-30-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST