BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
bosspower
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Vanos Problem

Hello

Can anybody tell me if the black teflon vanos cover is neccesary or can be taken off .
It cracked and its lose again.
The first one got pulled in the chain and shredded,miracle the nothing happened.

I really dont want to pay 2000 usd for new one.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
Iyzmi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 WRX, 09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosspower View Post
Hello

Can anybody tell me if the black teflon vanos cover is neccesary or can be taken off .
It cracked and its lose again.
The first one got pulled in the chain and shredded,miracle the nothing happened.

I really dont want to pay 2000 usd for new one.
I thought I was the only one who this has happened to! Bad news my friend, not only is this cover necessary but you will need that entire VANOS gear replaced as the cover is not sold separately, and replacing it is about 13 hours of labor. I actually ended up having all 4 replaced. It is absolutely crucial that you get this taken care of immediately or you will end up with a small hole(s) in your valve cover and an oil leak! It is likely that you will also need to pull your oil pan as there will be bits of that plastic cover and likely some metal flakes at the bottom; this will screw up your oil level readings. This exact problem led to a $6,000 repair for me, PM me for details.

I have literally never heard of anybody else having this problem before and neither had my dealer. Are you saying this isn't the first time this has happened to your car? How did you notice this problem?
      03-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
bosspower
Enlisted Member
Rep

So i am not the only one .
My dealer and my M mechanic guy both said the same "see it for first time " .

The first one i discovered when they try to change oil . The cover allready fallen off and was visible throu the hole where you fill .
When opened you could see how it was pulled in the chain . Shreds allready taken out from the oil pan . We are talking about the big vanos on passanger side.

No problem with the oil level readings .
I bought this car second hand so i dont know for how long the previous ownen drow it .
I did about 1000 km and no problem (the car was 77000 km at that time).

I was courios about the other side so i told the guy to open it . The vanos cover allready cracked but was in place . I drove with this around 15000 and again no problem.
And now i open it again and the cover cracked even more but is still in place .

The reason why i do it is beacouse of third party guarantee . They payed first time but refused now.

I am looking for second hand unit but after reading what you wrote i think i will buy all 4 vanos from a salvage car just in case .

For now i will drive without the cover .
Let me know what you think.

Its a LCI vert .
The engine and gearbox are in great condition my mechanic guy said and ge also has a M3 .
Rod bearings/dct oil and everything eldr allready done.

Last edited by bosspower; 03-21-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
Iyzmi
Lieutenant
Rep

As soon as you take the car to high RPM, that cover will break apart. If you plan on driving this way, be VERY cautious. You're on borrowed time.

In my case after the cover broke apart, the tensioner that is behind the cover was able to swing out and it hit the corner of the valve cover as well as the timing chain cover at high RPM. This is how I discovered the issue, the car was dripping oil while running at idle. My 3rd party warranty paid to have all 4 gears replaced despite only one being damaged.

My car is an 09 and was at 40k mi (64k km) when this happened.

Last edited by Iyzmi; 03-21-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #5
bosspower
Enlisted Member
Rep

That cover is out allready.
I will drive without it for the reason u wrote.

When i find a replacment i will change it.
They told you why it cracks?

Miracle your engine is still runing .
You got any error codes ?
Which unit it was ? big or small ? driver or passenger side?

Last edited by bosspower; 03-21-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
Iyzmi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That cover is out allready.
I will drive without it for the reason u wrote.

When i find a replacment i will change it.
They told you why it cracks?

Miracle your engine is still runing .
You got any error codes ?
Which unit it was ? big or small ? driver or passenger side?
Mine was the left VANOs gear (if facing the front of the car) on the driver side. To clarify, by the time I found out about the problem the cover was already gone. The result of the missing cover was further damage to the valve cover and timing chain cover, which caused an oil leak. You are definitely not in the safe zone just because the cover is already off. I would not take the car past 3-4k RPM in this condition if I were you.

They had no idea why it cracked. The dealer had never seen this happen before, I think they even searched nationwide for similar cases with no results.

You're right, it was totally a miracle this didn't destroy the engine. I was concerned about the metal/plastic flakes in the oil doing further damage but everything appears to be ok and the oil analysis came back clean to my surprise. There were visible metal flakes in the oil filter after this happened. The technician pulled one of the rod bearings to inspect for damage and said it was fine. No codes and not even any noises to indicate anything was wrong, the car drove completely fine. The only thing that tipped me off was I got a low oil warning and upon closer examination I noticed oil dripping on the garage floor.

Good luck buddy, let me know if I can answer anymore questions!
      03-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #7
bosspower
Enlisted Member
Rep

About the 3-4 rpm is exacly what i thought i will do .

So its the same here shreds all over the place and nothing wrong , motor runing great.
But your situation with the lose tensioner was far worst.

The timming chain was not pulled enough without the tensioner and the engine still runing with no errors. Bulletproof maybe .

Anyway thanks for all the info.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
Iyzmi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
About the 3-4 rpm is exacly what i thought i will do .

So its the same here shreds all over the place and nothing wrong , motor runing great.
But your situation with the lose tensioner was far worst.

The timming chain was not pulled enough without the tensioner and the engine still runing with no errors. Bulletproof maybe .

Anyway thanks for all the info.
I don't think my tensioner was any tighter or looser than normal. My situation was no different than yours from the sound of things. The only difference is that yours hasn't had a chance to hit the valve cover and timing chain cover YET. And on that thought, you should check those parts for damage very closely! As far as I know, it's only with high RPM that the tensioner will swing out enough to cause damage without the plastic cover to keep it from doing so. I can almost guarantee that if you were to redline the car a couple times, you would start leaking oil or at the very least introduce flakes of metal into the oil. Even if you don't redline the car, it's probably only a matter of time...

If I were you I would not risk driving the car at all until this is fully resolved. Who knows what further damage may occur between now and when you get it fixed even if you keep the RPM low. I suppose you have the warranty to cover you even if the worst case scenario happens, so if you absolutely must drive it do so cautiously.
      03-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #9
bosspower
Enlisted Member
Rep

ok i get it now .

I thought the tensioner fell off completly and was flying all over the place .

No warranty here.I will take here from the dealer and put in a garage until May.
That is when my mechanic has time to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #10
Iyzmi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ok i get it now .

I thought the tensioner fell off completly and was flying all over the place .

No warranty here.I will take here from the dealer and put in a garage until May.
That is when my mechanic has time to do it.
Ah, sorry I misunderstood when you said 3rd party guarantee. Thought that meant warranty.

Sounds like you're understanding correctly now. The tensioner was still attached and operating fine. It's just that without that plastic cover there is nothing stopping it from swinging out at high speeds and grinding up against whatever is in its path.

Good plan leaving the car parked, without a warranty this has potential to become a HUGE repair out of your pocket! You're lucky you noticed the problem through the oil fill hole before an oil leak occurred like mine, most people wouldn't be that observant. Hope everything works out without a problem. My car has been running perfectly after this nightmare was taken care of (*knock on wood*). Keep the thread updated in case any other unlucky new owners experience the same thing we did!
      03-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
bosspower
Enlisted Member
Rep

I will post update after i get it done .
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #12
Iyzmi
Lieutenant
Rep

Any update on this OP?