BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-02-2018, 05:59 AM   #1
MikeHawk7
Enlisted Member
MikeHawk7's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3: E92, ZCP, DCT
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
DCT leak, symptoms?

When I got a pre-purchase inspection on my M, I was told there was a small DCT leak from the pan. What kind of symptoms can I expect as the fluid gets lower?
__________________
-Mike M.
2013 M3
[E92, Alpine White, ZCP, DCT]
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 07:03 AM   #2
Helmsman
Brigadier General
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
1310
Rep
3,653
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Mike, 9 liter of fluid in the system so will take for ever before any signs at all. If you don't have any history/how long it has been leaking, it may be worth having a top up. That is assuming its the "normal" tiny leak, otherwise you need to repack sealing. Depending on top/side/bottom sealing that can be quite costly.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef3038.00

      04-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
3038
Rep
6,993
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Mike, 9 liter of fluid in the system so will take for ever before any signs at all. If you don't have any history/how long it has been leaking, it may be worth having a top up. That is assuming its the "normal" tiny leak, otherwise you need to repack sealing. Depending on top/side/bottom sealing that can be quite costly.
This. It's very slow seepage rather than a leak.

Maybe get a quick quote on a repair and use that as leverage to negotiate a little more.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
1713
Rep
3,293
Posts

Drives: 11 E90M,13 ZCP E92M, 12 X5
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

pretty much all the DCT's out there are leaking slowly and there aren't symptoms. It isn't a matter of 'leaking', it's more like 'seeping'

Eventually you'd get a DCT error and you'd have to refill
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
Patrón
PAZUZU
Patrón's Avatar
United_States
456
Rep
1,900
Posts

Drives: '15 M4
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [5.00]
it also leaks from the top, which is often mistaken for the side and pan leaks.
__________________

E92M ESS-625++ sold
2015 M4 Black Saphire/Silverstone
@jagemoets @texasMclub
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #6
Helmsman
Brigadier General
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
1310
Rep
3,653
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
it also leaks from the top, which is often mistaken for the side and pan leaks.
Correctomundo, which is what mine did, first round. New box now leaking from...somewhere else. Goddammit....
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
15674
Rep
9,486
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Correctomundo, which is what mine did, first round. New box now leaking from...somewhere else. Goddammit....
Wow !
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
Helmsman
Brigadier General
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
1310
Rep
3,653
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Wow !
Yep, they seem to hold uo around 20k km before they start show sign of seeping...
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
15674
Rep
9,486
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Yep, they seem to hold uo around 20k km before they start show sign of seeping...
Sounds like another design curse from BMW !
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 12:24 AM   #10
MikeHawk7
Enlisted Member
MikeHawk7's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3: E92, ZCP, DCT
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yeah, I imagine seeping would be more like it. I haven't personally checked it, but "leaking" was the word they used.

I do plan on doing a fluid & pan change eventually anyway, but I have other maintenance items to prioritize unless a DCT error or "symptoms" show up first. Since it sounds like there aren't really any symptoms and it's slow seepage, it's good to know I have more time.

Thanks for all of the info!
__________________
-Mike M.
2013 M3
[E92, Alpine White, ZCP, DCT]
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 02:30 AM   #11
Helmsman
Brigadier General
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
1310
Rep
3,653
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Sounds like another design curse from BMW !
For sure Phil. Back to the dealer after 20k km (and 2.5y so after warr.) the manager kindly educated me: "The M parts are so tightly designed so you have to count with a certain fluid leakage". Yes, this is what the mgr for Swedens largest BMW garage claimed.
Have to assume this goes along with BMWs attitude and training of their dealers. Which is one reason to why I nurse my dear M3 as my last BMW.

Because except for a few well defined issues/wear items one must say that the E9M holds up bloody great.

Last edited by Helmsman; 04-03-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #12
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
15674
Rep
9,486
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
For sure Phil. Back to the dealer after 20k km (and 2.5y so after warr.) the manager kindly educated me: "The M parts are so tightly designed so you have to count with a certain fluid leakage". Yes, this is what the mgr for Swedens largest BMW garage claimed.
Have to assume this goes along with BMWs attitude and training of their dealers. Which is one reason to why I nurse my dear M3 as my last BMW.

Because except for a few well defined issues/wear items one must say that the E9M holds up bloody great.
I see the situation . Please tell the manager that you understand why our S65 bearings are tightly designed too
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 03:36 AM   #13
Helmsman
Brigadier General
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
1310
Rep
3,653
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I see the situation . Please tell the manager that you understand why our S65 bearings are tightly designed too
Hahaha! Touche...

Heres another one Phil: So after this second round of what I judged as mistreatment I decided to post a little article on the subject in the main Swedish bimmer forum. In order to make sure I got everything wright and avoid unfair miscred I forwarded it to the dealer top boss for comments/adjustments. You think he cared at all? No sir.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #14
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
15674
Rep
9,486
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hahaha! Touche...

Heres another one Phil: So after this second round of what I judged as mistreatment I decided to post a little article on the subject in the main Swedish bimmer forum. In order to make sure I got everything wright and avoid unfair miscred I forwarded it to the dealer top boss for comments/adjustments. You think he cared at all? No sir.
I'm not surprised . All that matters is financial speculation ...
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST