BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

E92 Lighting
Closed Thread

01-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #23
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
This way to the Poll ===>CLICK From 301 Posters on the Poll only 51 are age group 18 to 25! Just goes to show what the media does with one little statement from a BMW spokesman

The link above did not show up in my comment to msnbc.com so I post it above.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 01-02-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
This way to the Poll ===>CLICK
Over 50% is 35 and under. I think that validates the article, not the other way around.
      01-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #25
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
This way to the Poll ===> ...
Nice to see you back, btw!!!
      01-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86

Garage List
I just voted. I don't know how I missed that one. I'm in the 36-45 category btw.

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT-86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #27
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
Quote:
This way to the Poll ===>CLICK
Over 50% is 35 and under. I think that validates the article, not the other way around.
Yes that is correct. However, I meagrely addressed the key "Headline" of the authors article. Making reference to the Age Group of 18 to 25 that accounts for 16.88% (time of this post) of the BIMERPOST POLL results.

I made no reference to "majority" as someone else suggested. I also said that "I somehow agree with the article"

I posted the item here only since my comment at msnbc.com did not include the link to the BIMERPOST Poll (they most likely don't allow links to be posted only comments).

BTW. I find nothing unusual of either giving a car or paying for a car for one of my children (if they are responsible and deserve it) or having them live at home (if there is room in the house). I handed my e28 keys over to one of my children once the 4 years university was completed. Too many threads in this forum have exploded in pages of comments against the young people receiving a car from there parents. In my opinion it is nobodies business what some parent does for his child who are we to judge what the circumstances are if the young individual received a gift as a car or lives at home until such time that he/she finds it economically suitable to find a place of there own. I think we should stick more to issues that this forum was created for rather then second guessing someones life style. Perhaps if we do this then it will be worthwhile posting here again. Enough said!

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 01-02-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added BTW .......
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #28
MineralWeiss
USAF Retired
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW M3

I went from a 2007 Vette with an average age of 60 to an M3 with an average age of 28. My car insurance also tripled!! Something to be said about statistics.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #29
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i

what if someone owns a couple real estate properties s/he could easily live in, but choses not too, and instead stays at home in the house he grew up in? Where he can enjoy the company of his family day in and day out, eat his grandmother's food every day, have his mother help him with things.
Stuff he won't be able to once he actually gets married.
He has his whole life, a good 60+ years, to live on his own/with his future wife/kids.
So what's wrong with staying at home in your early 20s?

I guess it's my Persian culture, and we are very family oriented.
I see nothing wrong with living at home in your early to mid 20s.
I can't comment on late as I'm not even in my mid 20s yet....
But for me, until I get married, I want to be close to my family. Unfortunately, I know my family won't be here as long as I will, so I'd rather spend as much time as I can with them.

I just get bothered when people (who are generally "American") say it's "wrong" to be at home in your early 20s...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #30
SamS
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
“There is a two-humped profile for the M3’s age graph,” Koch said. “They are very young or they are old,” he said. “There are no 41-year-olds.”
Funny to read this perspective. When I meet fellow ///M drivers in the flesh (car meets, ED, PCD) many seem to be around my age, mid-30s to early 40s. Old enough to have a decent-paying job, and looking for a fun car. I only see the <30 folks around the boards.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #31
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
choses not too, and instead stays at home in the house he grew up in? Where he can enjoy the company of his family day in and day out, eat his grandmother's food every day, have his mother help him with things.
Sorry to be so "American" about this, but what exactly do you mean by that?

Quote:
I just get bothered when people (who are generally "American") say it's "wrong" to be at home in your early 20s...
... says the guy posting from "SoCal"

This sounds like a cultural excuse for being a boomerang kid.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #32
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #33
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Unfortunately, I highly doubt you could understand where I'm coming from and what I'm trying to express

When I said "American," it was mainly referring to anyone not Asian or Persian, as from my personal experiences, Persian and Asian cultures tend to be similar in regards to family.
I know my parents will be living with me in the future, as that's how it has always been in my family (like my grandparents live with us)

You say "boomerang kid" but I have never moved out to move back in.
Yes, when I lived in Japan with my ex, I did move out, but that was only for 1 year while I studied and worked abroad. So I don't see how I could be a boomerang kid if I never actually moved out to move back in

And what does being from SoCal have to do with anything?
I've never lived in any other parts of the US, so I don't have any experience in regards to living elsewhere.
Have you lived in SoCal for many years to be able to make such a statement? Whatever it is you meant by that statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
You make a good point. This sounds nice and everyone is different. I have been out of the house and living on my own since I was 18. Whenever I go home to visit my folks I have a great time and I'd say those that get to experience the warmth of good family all the time (while still being fiscally well off/independent as in your example) are extremely lucky. Unfortunately I don't think that's reality for most and lots of kids living at home in the early '20s are leeching off their parents and unable to find jobs, hence the ill feelings. And I'd agree with you -- it is cultural -- but as an American try dating and/or finding a decent girl while living at home with your parents. Fail.
I'm not as well off as I'd like to be, especially compared to a couple of my friends, so I thrive to get better and better. It's a buyer's market out there right now, more or less
One of my childhood friends is in the 1%, yet he choses to live at home; he's korean and his family's culture seems similar to that of mine.
I personally see nothing wrong with living with your parents.
Family comes first.
You can always have roommates, girlfriend roommates......60+ years to live with your wife and kids
But you won't be able to do that with your immediate family.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #34
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Drives: E90x4 (M3, 335xi, 325xi,320i)

Garage List
"So even if they are self-entitled brats, at least they are nice to their parents."
      01-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #35
askharjoon
Private
Rep

Drives: e92 M3

Guys, the American dream of home ownership is dead. These kids these days see housing as either so unaffordable that it becomes a pipe dream (see L.A. or New York), or a depreciable asset like their cars (see FL. Az. or NV). The stock market is a crap shoot, so instead they choose to blow their money on a car that financially will set them back for years to come but can get them instant gratification.
      01-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #36
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Unfortunately, I highly doubt you could understand where I'm coming from and what I'm trying to express

When I said "American," it was mainly referring to anyone not Asian or Persian, as from my personal experiences, Persian and Asian cultures tend to be similar in regards to family.

Wow, your powers of internet vision and intuition are truly amazing! Care to venture a guess as my ethnicity?

Quote:
I know my parents will be living with me in the future, as that's how it has always been in my family (like my grandparents live with us)
Can your powers of internet vision see who is living in my house currently? Or see who lived in my house when I was growing up?

Quote:
You say "boomerang kid" but I have never moved out to move back in
Uh, go you! Splitting those hairs mighty fine ...

Quote:
You slam people who are too "American" for being unable to see things from your viewpoint, yet use a quintessentially "American" slang term for your location. I guess your amazing vision and intuition powers do not extend to see irony.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #37
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
what if someone owns a couple real estate properties s/he could easily live in, but choses not too, and instead stays at home in the house he grew up in? Where he can enjoy the company of his family day in and day out, eat his grandmother's food every day, have his mother help him with things.
He has his whole life, a good 60+ years, to live on his own/with his future wife/kids.

But for me, until I get married, I want to be close to my family. Unfortunately, I know my family won't be here as long as I will, so I'd rather spend as much time as I can with them.

Nothing wrong with living with your parents in your early 20's. In fact, nothing wrong with an extended family at any age. What is wrong, however, is having your parents continue to support you after you are finished with your education. If you all wish to live under one roof, that is fine. Pay a portion of the mortgage, property taxes, utilities, groceries, home maintenance costs, etc. Better yet, since you are saving so much money by living with your parents, why not pay for them to go on a nice vacation as a sign of appreciation for all they did for you.

Living in an extended family and not earning your keep are two completely different things.

I love your quote "have his mother help him with things". How about helping your mother with things instead.

Last edited by LarThaL; 01-02-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #38
mesropb23
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:

You say "boomerang kid" but I have never moved out to move back in.
Yes, when I lived in Japan with my ex, I did move out, but that was only for 1 year while I studied and worked abroad. So I don't see how I could be a boomerang kid if I never actually moved out to move back in

I've never lived in any other parts of the US, so I don't have any experience in regards to living elsewhere.
Have you lived in SoCal for many years to be able to make such a statement? Whatever it is you meant by that statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
You make a good point. This sounds nice and everyone is different. I have been out of the house and living on my own since I was 18. Whenever I go home to visit my folks I have a great time and I'd say those that get to experience the warmth of good family all the time (while still being fiscally well off/independent as in your example) are extremely lucky. Unfortunately I don't think that's reality for most and lots of kids living at home in the early '20s are leeching off their parents and unable to find jobs, hence the ill feelings. And I'd agree with you -- it is cultural -- but as an American try dating and/or finding a decent girl while living at home with your parents. Fail.
I'm not as well off as I'd like to be, especially compared to a couple of my friends, so I thrive to get better and better. It's a buyer's market out there right now, more or less
One of my childhood friends is in the 1%, yet he choses to live at home; he's korean and his family's culture seems similar to that of mine.
I personally see nothing wrong with living with your parents.
Family comes first.
You can always have roommates, girlfriend roommates......60 years to live with your wife and kids
But you won't be able to do that with your immediate family.
      01-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #39
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You slam people who are too "American" for being unable to see things from your viewpoint, yet use a quintessentially "American" slang term for your location. I guess your amazing vision and intuition powers do not extend to see irony.
When did I "slam people who are too 'American'"?

When did I ever speak negatively about "being American"?

I simply stated that those don't understand this idealaolgy are generally American, as there is a difference in the cultures.
There is nothing wrong with being American, Asian, Persian, Armenian...etc etc.
Don't see why you felt I was making any sort of negative or racist reference.

I refer to myself as a "Persian American", just as many refer to themselves as "Asian American," "African American," and so on.
But when I go abroad, especially when I livd in Japan, I refer to myself as simply being "American," as I am American, according to my US Passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post

Living in an extended family and not earning your keep are two completely different things.

I love your quote "have his mother help him with things". How about helping your mother with things instead.
I agree with you 100%.

I feel that getting your mother her dream car (drop top 2 door) is helping out ; even if you yourself do take it out once in a while.

Last edited by persian54; 01-02-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #40
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
If I bought a $70,000 while living with my parents they would have either kicked me out or charged me so much rent I would have had to sell the car
seriously....lol
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #41
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Drives: >1000 HP in my garage

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:

You sound very defensive for someone who isn't in this situation. I'm sure many have good intentions for living with family and it's very noble. But if a kid is living at home with his parents and buying nice cars, he better be taking care of his parents too. That means they aren't working (at least not because they have to) and he paying the mortgage and utilities.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #42
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #43
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Yea, considering the original article being from 2008 and the tone in here getting a bit harsh we better stop at this point. Thanks everybody for understanding.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread